The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 AM   #301
Reikowolf
Hyperphotonic

Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for TDKR (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - Part 3

My brother and I had a discussion about Bane's death.

He thought a cool idea would have been if Talia had told Bane to take Batman out to the ice and have him die in exile, powerless to save his city.

Bane takes Batman out to the ice where his line changes to

"You will die in the cold and will simply have to imagine the fire"

he holds the shotgun up to Batman who is on his knees

Batman replies

"You are not the league of shadows"

Bane

"But I am, I have succeeded where Ras failed"

Batman

"Then why have you sacrificed footing for a killing blow?"

Batman hits the ice and Bane falls into the water.

A bit of a reach but I wholly satisfying call-back to Begins

see it now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk_Lj8ty2tA

@hyperphotonic
Reikowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #302
CapedCrusader14
You're In Carcosa Now

I don't think that would have worked very well on film, but that was pretty neat to read

CapedCrusader14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #303
it'salright

Hello everyone. Why didn't Selina want to give the fingerprints to the guy at the bar? And the part when Selina said to the guy "you just used her cell phone" - what was going on?

it'salright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #304
MagnarTheGreat
Searching with Jade

I think...she wanted the clean slate and was holding out on giving up Bruce's thumbprint to make sure Stryver had it. It was Congressman Gilly's phone that Stryver used.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:27 PM   #305
it'salright

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchie64 View Post
Well it can be assumed MANY rich people died during Bane's takeover.
Why did rich people die when Bane took over?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #306
it'salright

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
I think...she wanted the clean slate and was holding out on giving up Bruce's thumbprint to make sure Stryver had it. It was Congressman Gilly's phone that Stryver used.

Thank you for clearing that up!

Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #307
Reikowolf
Hyperphotonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by it'salright View Post
Why did rich people die when Bane took over?
that was the montage being shown during Bane's monologue at city hall. When the prisoners of blackgate were released there was looting throughout Gotham. Many people were dragged from their homes

One of the more iconic shots in the trailer as a person is tossed off a set of stairs.

Those that did not die during the initial occupation may have been killed by exile when they were put on trial.

It's a very interesting commentary on the root of organized crime. It's a condition of an unbalanced economy. Too many overly rich people strangling the means of the poor, which could be argued as the origin of the mafia.

Without organized crime, Gotham's poor were pushed to their breaking point resulting in willing participation in a revolution.

see it now:

@hyperphotonic
Old 09-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #308
it'salright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikowolf View Post
that was the montage being shown during Bane's monologue at city hall. When the prisoners of blackgate were released there was looting throughout Gotham. Many people were dragged from their homes

One of the more iconic shots in the trailer as a person is tossed off a set of stairs.

Those that did not die during the initial occupation may have been killed by exile when they were put on trial.

It's a very interesting commentary on the root of organized crime. It's a condition of an unbalanced economy. Too many overly rich people strangling the means of the poor, which could be argued as the origin of the mafia.

Without organized crime, Gotham's poor were pushed to their breaking point resulting in willing participation in a revolution.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #309
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

See, the trilogy is so great that you'd really have to give each part a good amount of focus. To me this is the ultimate superhero film trilogy and if people can find a better way of interpreting the very, very old idea of the heroic journey than this -- I'll really be surprised. It's not just Nolan, but the character itself. In addition to being a strong commentary on superheroes and heroism, it really manages to go back to the primitive notion of heroes and their quest and what that means to us on a personal level. It goes back to the Odyssey and Gilgamesh. I'm putting out my review on the entire trilogy courtesy of THE JUSTICE BULLETIN, and, thanks to the bats in my own belfry, it's getting long, but worth every paragraph.

Parts 1 and 2 (out of 7) for Batman Begins is currently up. You can read em here. Any response would be greatly appreciated

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #310
it'salright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haris View Post
Wow i Didn't think there would be this many people that found also found Bane's death slightly disappointing.

How about Bane going out like this. After Talia reveals herself and goes to set off the bomb, Catwoman chases after her while Batman and Bane continue the fight. Bane escapes and joins Talia in the truck/tumblr. Batman, Catwoman continue the chase with Jim Gordon attempting to dissolve the bomb. Before the heroes manage to blow up the truck, Bane manages to escape but Talia doesn't.

The 3 heroes go to Talia who makes the same final speech, Batman realises he will have to sacrifice himself to take the bomb away from Gotham, goes to the Bat when all of a sudden Bane remerges and they fight one last time, both get into the 'Bat' and as it over the river, it blows up. Like the movie, while Gotham thinks that Bruce Wayne/Batman had died, Alfred sees him in Florence, letting the audience know that he used autopilot to escape while Bane remained and blew up with the bomb.

this is a very basic idea i just thought of on the spot. I like this way because there's parallels with the way Ra's al ghoul died in Begins. It would be quite ironic that both leaders of the League of Shadows died in similar ways.
Oh my that's an awesome alternate ending! But how would Bane have escaped from the truck/tumbler? It sounds like it would have been too unrealistic. I loved the movie just as it was but it's always good to think about variations of the same thing.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #311
Reikowolf
Hyperphotonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by it'salright View Post
Oh my that's an awesome alternate ending! But how would Bane have escaped from the truck/tumbler? It sounds like it would have been too unrealistic. I loved the movie just as it was but it's always good to think about variations of the same thing.
it would raise the question if Bane had lived

see it now:

@hyperphotonic
Old 09-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #312
it'salright

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyboy89 View Post
Now that I've seen it three times, I enjoyed it much more. The first time I hated it. The Bane/Talia twist was lousy. Alfred leaving (you still haven't given up on me......never, or until you're too old and cranky......... then I'll leave). Bruce taking a vacation while Gotham needs him the most was foolish.

It wasn't until talking to a coworker I realized my issues with it. I knew too much about Batman and his history. If I just took this at face value for a stand alone movie, it's fine. I'd have let Talia escape......I mean show her preggo at the LOS compound or what not. Bane should have met his end by Batman. While I thoroughly enjoyed Selina Kyle throughout, it should have been Bats to win. Have Alfred stick around till then end then they reunite on holiday.

I just don't believe Bruce would ever just leave. Sure he gave Robin a good start, but BRUCE WAYNE should have stayed to help rebuild his city. Bruce could have been the face of hope needed. "they need you....your knowledge your resources. Not your body". That could have come to play here.

All in all, a 7 out of 10. I started out hating it, but came back. I appreciate it for what it was, and look forward to the next series.

"Preggo" with who's baby? Bruce's? I heard that Marion Cotillard was pregnant while shooting the film so unless that's what you meant.....

IMO the ending wouldn't of been as good if Bruce came back to help rebuild Gotham.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #313
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
See, the trilogy is so great that you'd really have to give each part a good amount of focus. To me this is the ultimate superhero film trilogy and if people can find a better way of interpreting the very, very old idea of the heroic journey than this -- I'll really be surprised. It's not just Nolan, but the character itself. In addition to being a strong commentary on superheroes and heroism, it really manages to go back to the primitive notion of heroes and their quest and what that means to us on a personal level. It goes back to the Odyssey and Gilgamesh. I'm putting out my review on the entire trilogy courtesy of THE JUSTICE BULLETIN, and, thanks to the bats in my own belfry, it's getting long, but worth every paragraph.

Parts 1 and 2 (out of 7) for Batman Begins is currently up. You can read em here. Any response would be greatly appreciated
Wonderful reads so far. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest.

Cheers man

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #314
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Wonderful reads so far. I'm definitely looking forward to the rest.

Cheers man
Thanks dude! The next parts dive into the archetypes more, and... I think you might be surprised. I certainly was when I connected them.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:

Old 09-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #315
spanky_jones
Newbie First Class

Quote:

look at the mob during the great depression.

spanky_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #316
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

I like how the Depression really did get addressed in these films before the '08 recession. Really harkens back to the world from which Finger and Kane made Batman back in the 30s; or the Noir world Frank Miller portrayed in the 80s; and of course, the original pulp magazines that gave birth to the superheroes.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #317
Mr. Bruce Wayne

Hey guys I've been debating with a few friends for a while as to what the significance of Miranda Tate's scar is in the Dark Knight Rises.

Personally, I believe they just showed the scar to let the audience know that she has a past and is possibly not to be trusted. My friends seem to think that it's the symbol of the League of Shadows.

I would really appreciate your opinions. What do you guys think?

Mr. Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #318
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bruce Wayne View Post
Hey guys I've been debating with a few friends for a while as to what the significance of Miranda Tate's scar is in the Dark Knight Rises.

Personally, I believe they just showed the scar to let the audience know that she has a past and is possibly not to be trusted. My friends seem to think that it's the symbol of the League of Shadows.

I would really appreciate your opinions. What do you guys think?
In BB, Watanabe (Ubu/Ra's) holds up a fiery hot poker with a brand at the end and it signifies that Bruce will be branded once he executes the murderer farmer.

It's a very tiny callback to BB. If Bruce had been initiated into the LOS and been branded, he would have realized Miranda was one of them then, because she'd have the same brand.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #319
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

That's interesting. Does someone has a high quality pic of this scene?

"Batman: Promises"

"Harley Quinn: Ridiculous Thoughts"
"La Broma Mortal"
BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #320
Reikowolf
Hyperphotonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
In BB, Watanabe (Ubu/Ra's) holds up a fiery hot poker with a brand at the end and it signifies that Bruce will be branded once he executes the murderer farmer.

It's a very tiny callback to BB. If Bruce had been initiated into the LOS and been branded, he would have realized Miranda was one of them then, because she'd have the same brand.
A brand and a scar are two very different things. Miranda's scar did not look like any determinable symbol

see it now:

@hyperphotonic
Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #321
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
A brand and a scar are two very different things. Miranda's scar did not look like any determinable symbol
To be fair, we didn't get a good look at what the brand looked like. Scar tissue from a small burn can often look raised like that.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:27 AM   #322
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

What was the LOS symbol ? It was not clear in BB.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #323
Reikowolf
Hyperphotonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
What was the LOS symbol ? It was not clear in BB.
Liam Neison's giant penis.

haha. there really wasn't any. The closest comparable imagery would be the blue flower

see it now:

@hyperphotonic
Old 10-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #324
Reikowolf
Hyperphotonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
To be fair, we didn't get a good look at what the brand looked like. Scar tissue from a small burn can often look raised like that.
good point. But that in itself nullifies the argument of Miranda's scar being a connecting point for LOS. If it was important enough to mention in the first movie, then it would make sense in the third

I would simply argue that the scar was to show that she had a rough upbringing so that the reveal at the end would not be such a shock to audiences as coming from left field.

I'm pretty sure all batman aficionados already knew and the scar solidified it for them

see it now:

@hyperphotonic
Old 10-10-2012, 12:10 PM   #325
spanky_jones
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_monk View Post
I just saw it for the second time, this time in IMAX. I enjoyed it even more this time, and I was able to understand the plot very easily. I think the IMAX sound mix made it easier to understand the dialogue, particularly Bane's. My friend (a sound editor), said that they most likely mixed just for IMAX and then converted for regular theaters, since it would cost a lot to do two mixes. That could be why it's more difficult to understand in a regular theater.

Two things did come to mind this time around. One, why did Blake decide to take the kids out on the bridge when he knew about the tunnel? Was the other side of the tunnel being blockaded too?

And two, how the hell does Bane shave?
you know I wondered how Bane shaved as well.

spanky_jones is offline   Reply With Quote