The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #551
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: Joss Whedon developing Marvel SHIELD series for ABC

It hasn't gone into production yet though. Whedon is just working on a script still but no actors have been cast and nothing filmed or built yet.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #552
sethypants
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Damn, this show is moving fast, i thought it would take some time before going into production like AKA and The Incredible Hulk
They're both dead. So is The Punisher and Mockingbird.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #553
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
I wouldn't say it's glorifying normalcy if they stick with normal SHIELD agents; they'd just be showing (relatively) normal people's perspectives on the increasingly superhuman world in which they live. If you don't think that can make for an incredibly entertaining and intriguing narrative, check out a few Gotham Central trades.

I also don't see why superheroes need to necessarily remain unique in their universes. Sure, they should be now, but over time why wouldn't people get used to them? It's the logical way for events to play out if superhumans maintain a consistent presence on Earth over a long period of time. Literally every single one of Marvel's superhero comics published today understands that. I wouldn't be bothered if the SHIELD agents who've been around a while become a bit jaded about superhumans 2 or 3 seasons down the line (assuming it makes it that far). That's where introducing new POV characters occasionally comes in.
Its also important to note that "normal human" is a very relative term. Black Widow and Hawkeye are "normal humans" for example. While the cast of the SHIELD TV series probably aren't going to be quite that level, they are still going to be highly skilled experts in their fields with access to advanced technology. I wouldn't be shocked if they come off as more impressive than a fair number of TV super shows.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #554
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethypants View Post
While I suspect you are right, we haven't received confirmation yet for Hulk, and it wasn't that many weeks back that De Toro said he was still working on it.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #555
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Quote:
Del Toro has said recently that his Hulk series is still in the developmental stage. Nothing's been said about Mockingbird being dead. I don't know what's going on with a Punisher show, since I don't even know if that was fully serious or not. The only one we know for sure is dead is AKA Jessica Jones.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #556
sethypants
Banned User

Well, Hulk has been in development for 3-4 years? If they're still developing, then there would've been more news about it. In the mean time Del Toro is developing a new show on FX and with movies also, I don't think there is much hope for it.
Punisher was pitched to FOX but failed to get a pilot, so its probably dropped.
Just like how Spectre was pitched to FOX but failed to get a pilot. Deadman was supposed to get a pilot, but should Amazon get picked up, Deadman would probably be dead as well. Booster is highly likely because Syfy doesn't develop TV shows like a broadcast network.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #557
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Del Toro just said a little over a month ago that they're trying to bring a new big name writer on board who is busy right now and they want to wait for him. Do a search.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1757241.html

Old 09-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #558
sethypants
Banned User

I know about that. But they said the same thing every year. Then after the pick ups are announced, people would start asking about it again then theres another excuse.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:21 PM   #559
DrDoom
Dictator

Quote:
I miss Chuck. Would love to see Yvonne as Ms Marvel in a movie.
Maybe her "Chuck" costar, Zachary Levi, can put in a good word at Marvel. Then they can reunite in Thor: The Dark World or Avengers 2 as Ms Marvel and Fandral

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #560
DrDoom
Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
While I suspect you are right, we haven't received confirmation yet for Hulk, and it wasn't that many weeks back that De Toro said he was still working on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
Del Toro has said recently that his Hulk series is still in the developmental stage. Nothing's been said about Mockingbird being dead. I don't know what's going on with a Punisher show, since I don't even know if that was fully serious or not. The only one we know for sure is dead is AKA Jessica Jones.
Quote:
Well, Hulk has been in development for 3-4 years? If they're still developing, then there would've been more news about it. In the mean time Del Toro is developing a new show on FX and with movies also, I don't think there is much hope for it.
Punisher was pitched to FOX but failed to get a pilot, so its probably dropped.
Just like how Spectre was pitched to FOX but failed to get a pilot. Deadman was supposed to get a pilot, but should Amazon get picked up, Deadman would probably be dead as well. Booster is highly likely because Syfy doesn't develop TV shows like a broadcast network.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
Del Toro just said a little over a month ago that they're trying to bring a new big name writer on board who is busy right now and they want to wait for him. Do a search.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1757241.html
Quote:
I know about that. But they said the same thing every year. Then after the pick ups are announced, people would start asking about it again then theres another excuse.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/ar...re-of-the-hulk
What I take away from that story is that marvel is more interested in continuing Hulk's story in films rather than TV, regardless of how long that may take.

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
Old 09-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #561
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
I wouldn't say it's glorifying normalcy if they stick with normal SHIELD agents; they'd just be showing (relatively) normal people's perspectives on the increasingly superhuman world in which they live. If you don't think that can make for an incredibly entertaining and intriguing narrative, check out a few Gotham Central trades.

I also don't see why superheroes need to necessarily remain unique in their universes. Sure, they should be now, but over time why wouldn't people get used to them? It's the logical way for events to play out if superhumans maintain a consistent presence on Earth over a long period of time. Literally every single one of Marvel's superhero comics published today understands that. I wouldn't be bothered if the SHIELD agents who've been around a while become a bit jaded about superhumans 2 or 3 seasons down the line (assuming it makes it that far). That's where introducing new POV characters occasionally comes in.
That's actually a good point with Gotham Central--I've been a huge fan of those for a long time, and I understand if this series can work on that level.

There is certainly an audience for it.

However, I'll still insist that there has to be two different ways of doing it. On one hand you have what Fury was doing throughout The Avengers--basically responding to this overwhelmingly superhuman threat, being "hopelessly outgunned" and trying to balance out a group of increasingly volatile superhumans as a part of his "team." And that's great. It still manages to keep what is superhuman unique in its own crazy world. That's why the Fury bits were some of my favourites. On the other hand you have what happens in almost every other comic-book, where people really act on a level above the people of Townsville. What happens is that those really iconic moments where Spider-Man is fighting the Green Goblin high atop the sky-scrapers of NY become not-so-iconic. And it's not just Marvel Comics; both companies are guilty of it.

Even if superhumans maintain a consistent presence on Earth over a long period of time, they'd cease being "super-human." And that's where all the mutant-prejudice comes in. It's great to have a "David vs. Goliath" story but if you're telling it in a world where there are 10 more like Goliath, his monstrosity becomes muted to the point where his sole narrative purpose of being this unstoppable monster who, upon being stopped, enhances David's heroism, is lost.

Or, to stick more to my original point, if there's a David vs. Goliath around every street-corner, the Davids would cease being the underdog, and the entire drama of the story would be lost. If they do go with this, what I'd like is if they still regarded the superhumans as these iconic beings--gods among men--and they are the mortals struggling under them. The uniqueness of those superhumans need to exist, even if only to be refuted and ultimately overcome.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Old 09-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #562
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
When was it ever implied that the idea of superhuman forces having become so frequent that it's considered ordinary is a part of the premise? Nobody brought up that idea as far as I saw.

The whole point of the idea of SHIELD being underdogs is that they're going up against superhuman threats while they themselves are not superheroes. The concept of relative normalcy was never apart of it.
Well, the entire series is being highlighted as something worthwhile because it's about "the ordinary guys" fighting in an extraordinary world. I get that. But then it means that the premise itself is based on this assumption that the meta-humans exist. Instead of being something unique, they're the norm. And we're expected to cheer SHIELD on because the heroes are ordinary people. While I loved A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer, that short was selling the same idea as well.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:

Old 09-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #563
flickchick85
Loose Seal

I think it will be a show about people who have a very specific skillset and are perfectly capable of handling all forms of Earthly threats (as demonstrated in A Funny Thing Happened...), but are suddenly finding themselves as "the ordinary guys" for the first time when all sorts of supernatural threats (not just metahumans, but bizarre forces, objects, etc.) rear their ugly head as a result of the events in The Avengers and the world that opened up. Like Thor said, this event was a signal to all the other realms that the Earth is ready for them, ripe for the picking. And some of those other realms might not be so far away (K'un-L'un, anyone?). And now, SHIELD has a much better knowledge of what's out there and better ideas of what to look out for (especially if Dr. Selvig retained all that "truth" the Tesseract showed him). So I think all kinds of stuff is gonna start showing up on Earth that might have been outside SHIELD's vantage point before, making them feel much smaller, and much more helpless than they ever have.

That's my guess.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110

Last edited by flickchick85; 09-23-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #564
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Who would be the main villain in this series? I guess Baron Strucker might work, mainly because he isn't appearing in a movie soon like Viper is and doesn't require a lot special effects to work on screen.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #565
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
Well, the entire series is being highlighted as something worthwhile because it's about "the ordinary guys" fighting in an extraordinary world. I get that. But then it means that the premise itself is based on this assumption that the meta-humans exist. Instead of being something unique, they're the norm. And we're expected to cheer SHIELD on because the heroes are ordinary people. While I loved A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer, that short was selling the same idea as well.
I don't understand how those two things relate to each other at all. The show is based on the assumption that metahumans exist because, in the Marvel Universe, they do. In what way does that mean that superhuman stuff if the norm in this world? How is that suggested by the show's premise? The fact that SHIELD is dealing with superhuman stuff doesn't mean that stuff is the norm, all it means is that it's their job to deal with that stuff.

Last edited by The Question; 09-25-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #566
Pink Ranger
TV Poster, Radio Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
I think it will be a show about people who have a very specific skillset and are perfectly capable of handling all forms of Earthly threats (as demonstrated in [I]A Funny Thing Happened...
Do you mean specific skill sets, that make them a nightmare for people like me?

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #567
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

I hope they introduce Punisher and Heroes for Hire in this series, and then, depending on their reception, spin them off into their own series.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #568
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

^ now that'd be a great idea! Marvel Studios acquired the rights to Punisher yes? I vaguely remember seeing the "Marvel Knights" banner before that atrocity of a film in War Zone.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #569
OB12
Side-Kick

Yeah, Marvel now has the rights to Punisher back and they have, or should soon have, Daredevil. I'd like Punisher, Heros for Hire, and Daredevil to all be featured in this series at different points.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #570
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
^ now that'd be a great idea! Marvel Studios acquired the rights to Punisher yes? I vaguely remember seeing the "Marvel Knights" banner before that atrocity of a film in War Zone.
I don't really see The Punisher fitting into a SHIELD show. His deal is that he's a serial killer who targets mobsters. That's an FBI kind of thing, not a SHIELD kind of thing.

Might be good for a guest spot in one episode, though.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #571
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

SHIELD sometimes takes over when threats prove too much for the regular authorities to handle, though. If they show Frank stockpiling superhero and supervillain tech like he is in the comics now, that could qualify him for SHIELD's jurisdiction.

Not that I'd necessarily want to see the Punisher featured in this show. Just saying, it's not entirely implausible.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #572
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Yeah it'd make for a good cameo. Imagine SHIELD focusing in on all these metas around when the real volatile player becomes this one uncontrollable guy with a gun.

Or alternatively, maybe a subplot of them trying to recruit Castle but which backfires terribly--ostensibly giving the SHIELD cast some hope opposing metas when they see someone like Castle doing a good job at it (not that they need it with players like Burton, Hill, Widow, Fury and Coulson).

Old 09-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #573
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Or, to stick more to my original point, if there's a David vs. Goliath around every street-corner, the Davids would cease being the underdog, and the entire drama of the story would be lost. If they do go with this, what I'd like is if they still regarded the superhumans as these iconic beings--gods among men--and they are the mortals struggling under them. The uniqueness of those superhumans need to exist, even if only to be refuted and ultimately overcome.
That's a good point, and something to watch out for, but it is relatively unavoidable unless Marvel stops making movies. It will have to grow to the place where, like the comics, the relevant emotions are what drives the conflict and not just the underdog story, which will be lost on an increasing number of people for just the reason you say.

Funny, in the original story of David and Goliath, once people realized that it was possible, all of David's homeboys went and found Goliath's brothers and killed them too, since they knew it was possible. I guess in TV land they'll have to just come up with bigger giants then.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #574
Rowsdower!
Mightiest Mortal?

Any word yet on whether Titus Welliver will be in this? That guy needs to be a regular on a series already.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Hair (2016)
Hair League for Men (2017)
Wonder Woman's Styling Tips (2018)
Hair of Steel 2 (2018)

The Dark Knight Glazes (2019)
Old 09-28-2012, 11:15 AM   #575
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
That's a good point, and something to watch out for, but it is relatively unavoidable unless Marvel stops making movies. It will have to grow to the place where, like the comics, the relevant emotions are what drives the conflict and not just the underdog story, which will be lost on an increasing number of people for just the reason you say.

Funny, in the original story of David and Goliath, once people realized that it was possible, all of David's homeboys went and found Goliath's brothers and killed them too, since they knew it was possible. I guess in TV land they'll have to just come up with bigger giants then.
That's probably one of the things shared by both TV world and real world -- that sort of escalation is always possible... maybe they'll focus on the sort of role SHIELD has to play in a world where they're clearly outmatched.

Good bit on the David vs Goliath myth! I wasn't aware of it!

Closed Thread