The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #826
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Joss Whedon developing Marvel SHIELD series for ABC

If he were emotionally detached, I'm sure it'd just be temporary. Coulson's personality is definitely what made him stick with people.

I personally am hoping for my second suggestion. Fury's "the spy," as Iron Man said, and spies love their secrets. Plus, it'd give Coulson-bot a nice character arc for season 1. "Why the hell are people kinda weird around me now?"

Old 01-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #827
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

LMD seems highly unlikely to me. I'd have to see it play out, but it seems like it would take way too much explaining to be in a show this early on that wasn't laser focused on the concept.

The idea that Fury faked Coulson's death to manipulate the team seems more likely to me.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #828
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

LMDs apparently exist already. Iron Man name-dropped them in Avengers. But even if they didn't, what's to explain? Robots that look and act exactly like normal people. Done. The name may be new to movie and TV audiences, but the concept certainly isn't.

Although I guess I'd be fine with Fury faking Coulson's death too. Even though it would make that poignant conversation Fury and Coulson had with nobody else around just before Coulson died very... odd. But who knows? Maybe Fury and Coulson both believe really strongly in method-acting.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #829
Drz
Real Hero

Let's keep the awful recycling of being alive and dead of comic book characters in bad comics, not have them in the movies and cartoons for goodness sake!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #830
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
LMDs apparently exist already. Iron Man name-dropped them in Avengers. But even if they didn't, what's to explain? Robots that look and act exactly like normal people. Done. The name may be new to movie and TV audiences, but the concept certainly isn't.
The name drop really isn't an explanation, it's basically an easter egg.

The existence of LMDs in a way that the audience would really understand hasn't been foreshadowed, so you can't just drop it on people without an explanation. It raises too many questions and would take people out of it. If they straight up didn't explain how Coulson was alive and slowly hinted at LMDs until a big reveal later in season one, it'd work. But just bringing it up and moving on would leave people confused.

Quote:
Although I guess I'd be fine with Fury faking Coulson's death too. Even though it would make that poignant conversation Fury and Coulson had with nobody else around just before Coulson died very... odd. But who knows? Maybe Fury and Coulson both believe really strongly in method-acting.
I don't see what makes it odd. Coulson got stabbed, thought he was dying, had a heart to heart with Fury, passed out from blood loss, and then the doctors patched him up. Fury lying about Couslon's death doesn't mean he knew anything about it until after he woke up in the infirmary.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #831
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

He was impaled right through his midsection. Personally, I'd find "that's not Coulson, it's a new gadget we're calling a Life-Model Decoy" a lot more plausible than "oh yeah, getting chunks of his heart and a good percentage of his other major organs torn to shreds barely slowed him down; we patched him up and he's fine now." Forget Captain America, they should just breed an army of Coulsons if he can recover from the wound Loki inflicted in the movie.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #832
Donut
Side-Kick

Quote:
He was impaled right through his midsection. Personally, I'd find "that's not Coulson, it's a new gadget we're calling a Life-Model Decoy" a lot more plausible than "oh yeah, getting chunks of his heart and a good percentage of his other major organs torn to shreds barely slowed him down; we patched him up and he's fine now." Forget Captain America, they should just breed an army of Coulsons if he can recover from the wound Loki inflicted in the movie.
Why can't it be the LMD that died ? Anyone on that Carrier that has a LMD. Probably had theirs activated. Before Loki came on board. Or everyone on that carrier that are human & part of S.H.I.E.L.D. are LMD's

Old 01-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #833
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

That's possible, I guess. Also kind of weird, though. And also even harder to explain. "Hey, remember the stuff that happened in the movie that this show is kinda related to but actively trying to distance itself from so it can establish its own identity? Yeah, all of the SHIELD agents you see there? ROBOTS! Because... ROBOTS! Shut up!"

Old 01-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #834
The Question

Quote:
More plausible, maybe. But also more weird and requiring a detailed explanation of something that doesn't exist that hasn't been established for the audience yet.

Also, in the time between the movie and the show, "barely slowed him down" could mean "has been in the hospital on life support and in physical therapy for the better part of a year."

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #835
The Question

Also I just wouldn't really like robot Coulson. So yeah I do have a bias.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #836
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

You keep saying it hasn't been established for the audience yet, but that's untrue. This is a general audience that the showrunners can reasonably assume is familiar with the unbelievably common idea of lifelike robots. I don't think it'd take nearly as long to introduce LMDs as you're implying. That's like saying introducing vampires into a superhero universe would require detailed explanations simply because the superhero universe didn't have them before (and yes, I remember the Blade movies; I'm just using this as a for-instance). Vampires are vampires are vampires. The only time explanations need to be given is when the people behind that particular iteration of vampire want to differentiate their vamps from the norm.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #837
The Question

Yeah your probably right.

What it really comes down to is that I would just prefer the show to be about Coulson and not Coulson's clone who thinks he's Coulson. That doesn't interest me and seems silly.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by The Question; 01-12-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #838
Wyrminarrd
Side-Kick

I really don't like the idea of a life model robot as it creates way to many questions regarding why they aren't using those kind of robots for everything.

A faked death is the simplest way to go and sets up possibilities for some interesting future conversations between Fury and Stark.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #839
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Simplest/Best solution, I think, without undermining the weight of the Avengers scene would be to have Coulson really die (or at least mortally wounded) with Fury later bringing him back to life with some new, experimental technology at the cost of a few unintended/unwanted side effects that come to light early on and develop over the course of the show/season.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #840
DrDoom
Dictator

Maybe Coulson was a robot/LMD THE WHOLE TIME!!!!

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
Old 01-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #841
Donut
Side-Kick

Maybe Thor could ask Odin / name person here to bring Coulson back to life ?

Old 01-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #842
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Wouldn't the audience just be asking why Thor doesn't do that all the time, then? Kind of eliminates the mortal danger thing if Thor can just pop people back to life with a call to daddy. I doubt they'll make things that easy in the show, especially since they never really have in the comics, where death has been a joke for decades.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #843
Whiskey Tango
2008 ~ 2014

Quote:
He was impaled right through his midsection.
http://www.cracked.com/article_17573...-survived.html

Also, if not LMD, perhaps Skrull.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 01-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #844
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

True, people survive weird s*** sometimes. I'd be fine if Fury faked his death, I just personally prefer the LMD angle. I think it'd make for a more interesting story.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #845
DrDoom
Dictator

And if Fury DID fake his death then they would have to address it in the sequel to Avengers and I DONT want a large chunk of that movie to be about the group breaking up cause of it but then get back together in the end.

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #846
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Has anyone considered that Coulson's revival could potentially be revealed in Iron Man 3? Perhaps as the end credits stinger or some such? That would solve having to explain Coulson's reappearance in later movies and would serve as fantastic marketing/publicity for the SHIELD television series.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #847
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
Has anyone considered that Coulson's revival could potentially be revealed in Iron Man 3? Perhaps as the end credits stinger or some such? That would solve having to explain Coulson's reappearance in later movies and would serve as fantastic marketing/publicity for the SHIELD television series.
That would work perfectly, good idea!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #848
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

It seemed pretty obvious to me.

Just imagine the scene:

After the credits, the scene starts with Fury in a sciencey medical facility, who has acquired the whatever-phlebotinum that will span the next story arc. The camera pans over to Coulson who is hooked up to advanced life support equipment. At which point, Fury announces, "Gentlemen, we can rebuild him... we have the technology". Then, fade to black.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:39 AM   #849
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post

But, they specifically said that they don't want to use Skrulls at all because of the ridiculous amount of confusion caused by shapeshifting aliens running amok. Plus they'd be too costly for a TV show FX budget.

The "LMD took the hit" option strikes me as the best way to handle Coulson's survival. They dropped the LMD reference into The Avengers, so why not use it to neatly explain things and tie it all together? Comics fans know about them and the GA can easily be clued in with just a few lines. "Coulson had a what?" "An LMD: Life Model Decoy. It's basically an android copy of him that duplicates everything from his appearance on down to fingerprints and retinal patterns. Coulson activated his when the Helicarrier was attacked." "So that's what Loki killed...." Easy to understand and a nice nod to the comics.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 AM   #850
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
But, they specifically said that they don't want to use Skrulls at all because of the ridiculous amount of confusion caused by shapeshifting aliens running amok. Plus they'd be too costly for a TV show FX budget.

The "LMD took the hit" option strikes me as the best way to handle Coulson's survival. They dropped the LMD reference into The Avengers, so why not use it to neatly explain things and tie it all together? Comics fans know about them and the GA can easily be clued in with just a few lines. "Coulson had a what?" "An LMD: Life Model Decoy. It's basically an android copy of him that duplicates everything from his appearance on down to fingerprints and retinal patterns. Coulson activated his when the Helicarrier was attacked." "So that's what Loki killed...." Easy to understand and a nice nod to the comics.
I don't think so. I imagine it'd just be alot of instances of one actor shapeshifting into another actor.

That said, doubt Skrulls would come into play just yet. Or in the series at all. Might save them for the big screen.

H.E.(R?)
Closed Thread