The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 09-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #776
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: "You ready for another Bout?"- The Thor/Chris Hemsworth Thread

Well one thing is for sure, the recent MCU films have definitely made it a point to keep mentioning/reference on how things have not been the same within the MCU world since Thor arrived on Earth during the events of "Thor" and most notably "The Avengers".

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #777
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Well one thing is for sure, the recent MCU films have definitely made it a point to keep mentioning/reference on how things have not been the same within the MCU world since Thor arrived on Earth during the events of "Thor" and most notably "The Avengers".
That's one thing I really hope both The Dark World and Age of Ultron dives into. Exactly how does Earth react when the Norse god of thunder proves to be real and has come to Earth to help them? That alone is about as significant as the alien invasion and something I hope Whedon could find interesting.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #778
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
That's one thing I really hope both The Dark World and Age of Ultron dives into. Exactly how does Earth react when the Norse god of thunder proves to be real and has come to Earth to help them? That alone is about as significant as the alien invasion and something I hope Whedon could find interesting.
I do not think that they are considering gods at all (marvel avoid using "god" therm at the all cost) just aliens (other dimensional probably).
But I like to see Jane reaction, as a scientist, to super-duper-advanced spices gone medieval in look and not ultra high-tech like human kind see their future.

Moonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #779
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwing View Post
I do not think that they are considering gods at all (marvel avoid using "god" therm at the all cost) just aliens (other dimensional probably).
But I like to see Jane reaction, as a scientist, to super-duper-advanced spices gone medieval in look and not ultra high-tech like human kind see their future.
Still, MCU's Thor is practically the "deity" that the Norse people ended up worshiping as such within the MCU so he's been viewed as a "God" for several centuries by the standards of myths and legends.

And we know that based on the events of "The Avengers", SHIELD had no idea about there being other worlds out there until Thor arrived in New Mexico, so it's not like they weren't taken by surprised; in fact it's because of the events of Thor that pushed SHIELD into making weapons using the Cosmic Cube.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #780
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Still, MCU's Thor is practically the "deity" that the Norse people ended up worshiping as such within the MCU so he's been viewed as a "God" for several centuries by the standards of myths and legends.

And we know that based on the events of "The Avengers", SHIELD had no idea about there being other worlds out there until Thor arrived in New Mexico, so it's not like they weren't taken by surprised; in fact it's because of the events of Thor that pushed SHIELD into making weapons using the Cosmic Cube.
This thing gnarls on my mind constantly, Thor as a being is only 1000+ years old but religious aspect of Thor is far, far older (in real world). It`s something I really, really do not understand.

Due absence of mysticism/divinity - Ragnarök circle in MCU is impossible - the only explanation is an advanced alien spices come to earth and start play their "gods". But than again "race that predates the universe" the dark elves are defeated only 5000 years ago "soon after the universe come into being" - I just wish marvel avoided specific dates to save me from headache.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #781
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Good point. That's a great scene where it becomes clear that the events in New Mexico have set a whole chain of events in motion. In fact, if it wasn't for Thor there would be no Avengers as there would've been no reason for them to assemble. I love how the threat of Loki brings them together just like in the very first issue of Avengers.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #782
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah that annoyed me a little - the fact that they kept calling them demi-gods. Of course it's a cynical age and a lot of people don't even believe in God period let alone gods.

But... I do think there's wiggle room here. All Thor ever said is that I come from a place where magic and science are "one and the same". You can take that into a lot of different directions. I thought Branagh did an excellent job of introducing an outlandish concept like Thor to the same universe as Iron Man but I'm extremely interested to see how TDW expands this whole idea in order to open up the Thor mythos. How do you explain characters like Hela or Surtur or even Mephisto? I'm very curious indeed!

Old 09-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #783
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
This thing gnarls on my mind constantly, Thor as a being is only 1000+ years old but religious aspect of Thor is far, far older (in real world). It`s something I really, really do not understand.
This has gnawed at me too. Perhaps time elapses faster in Asgard than it does on Midgard. Or maybe Mjolnir really can open portals through time like it can in the comic and Thor has visited Earth before he was born.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #784
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Well, SO FAR it's been based on the idea that our ancestors just exagerated what they had seen in the Viking era because they simply didn't understand what they saw.
I can't WAIT to see these other "Realms/galaxies" of the Asgardian universe that are within the Yggdrasil nebula

It's really easy to turn everyday occurances into myth and or legend, and in many ways Comic books ARE the present day myths. Thor's is one of the oldest. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
Yeah that annoyed me a little - the fact that they kept calling them demi-gods. Of course it's a cynical age and a lot of people don't even believe in God period let alone gods.

But... I do think there's wiggle room here. All Thor ever said is that I come from a place where magic and science are "one and the same". You can take that into a lot of different directions. I thought Branagh did an excellent job of introducing an outlandish concept like Thor to the same universe as Iron Man but I'm extremely interested to see how TDW expands this whole idea in order to open up the Thor mythos. How do you explain characters like Hela or Surtur or even Mephisto? I'm very curious indeed!

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #785
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:

Due absence of mysticism/divinity - Ragnarök circle in MCU is impossible - the only explanation is an advanced alien spices come to earth and start play their "gods". But than again "race that predates the universe" the dark elves are defeated only 5000 years ago "soon after the universe come into being" - I just wish marvel avoided specific dates to save me from headache.
Quote:
Don't mean to nitpick, but you've been spelling "species" wrong lol

Quote:
This has gnawed at me too. Perhaps time elapses faster in Asgard than it does on Midgard. Or maybe Mjolnir really can open portals through time like it can in the comic and Thor has visited Earth before he was born.
That's what I think

Quote:

Plus Fury called Thor a god. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if SHIELD, or atleast Fury knew about different alien races.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #786
Moonwing
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Don't mean to nitpick, but you've been spelling "species" wrong lol
Thanks=). Auto correct feature is a problem sometimes when dealing with rarely used words.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #787
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
The Norse mythology doesn't have the same kind of gods as Christianity etc. They aren't the creators of everything and they aren't omnipotent or omniscient.

So it doesn't matter that they aren't gods in the sense that most of the religious people today view that concept. I just said that I wanted to see how people react to it, which includes people trying to rationalize it and perhaps others taking a different approach.

And they haven't really avoided the word "god" completely. It's said in THOR many times and someone like Scarlet Witch Black Widow seems to not really know what to think, which makes her call them "basically gods".

Last edited by Mjölnir; 09-07-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #788
Bren
Forevernoob

Black Widow surely

Old 09-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #789
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Black Widow surely
I'm talking about Age of Ultron. Haven't you seen it yet?

Yeah, it should have been Black Widow. Thanks for the correction. Too much talk about different heroes when playing Marvel Heroes has warped my brain.

Last edited by Mjölnir; 09-07-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #790
warriorking
Side-Kick

If TTDW does extremely well in the theatres as I suspect it will, Whedon will be under quite a bit of pressure to make sure Thor gets quality screen time in The Age of Ultron sequel...He's really been quiet where Thor is concerned which worries me...

warriorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #791
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I honestly wonder if Thor being so powerful and noble has anything to do with the reasons as to why he's not featured as much in "The Avengers". I mean from what I understand, Whedon has a preference towards focusing and emphasizing on his human characters, and even though the Hulk is powerful, he at least has the persona of Bruce Banner who isn't, whereas Thor in the MCU doesn't have a human persona.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:26 PM   #792
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I forget if it's on the commentary for SERENITY or on one of the FIREFLY ep's commentary but I think I remember Whedon saying he actually does like those kind of larger than life characters with unshakeable morals and inborn nobility. He knows they are not "realistic" but he does appreciate them. It's why he loves genre fiction so much.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.

Last edited by KRYPTON INC.; 09-07-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #793
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
I forget if it's on the commentary for SERENITY or on one of the FIREFLY ep's commentary but I think I remember Whedon saying he actually does like those kind of larger than life characters with unshakeable morals and inborn nobility. He knows they are not "realistic" but he does appreciate them. It's why he loves genre fiction so much.
That would explain why Captain America got a lot of ST in TA.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #794
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
That would explain why Captain America got a lot of ST in TA.

I still wish he could have found some way to work in those deleted scenes into the film. It would have added some more heft to Cap's character in the film. Or maybe I just liked seeing Steve crossing the Manhattan bridge on the D train, which I take every day.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #795
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
I still wish he could have found some way to work in those deleted scenes into the film. It would have added some more heft to Cap's character in the film. Or maybe I just liked seeing Steve crossing the Manhattan bridge on the D train, which I take every day.
I think he left it out for the same reasons why he didn't have Thor reunite with Jane in the film; because he wanted to give those opportunities to the writers and directors that would handle those characters' sequels, which would allow them to fully flesh out those moments.

Though I do wonder, would it have been a good idea to have shown Thor in Asgard first before he arrived on Earth in the Avengers since he was the only character that we didn't get a "intro" scene that was dedicated to showing his side of the world like all of the other Avengers got in their intros...or was it more powerful to have him show up for the first time the way he did in the film without showing Asgard?

In any case, I do hope that if his role isn't significant in the next avengers film, that this film does him complete justice.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #796
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I know many Thor fans feel that he did not get enough screen time or significance in the film but I disagree. He has a great entrance, some meaty stuff with his bro and is given his due (mostly) as a powerful force in the MCU. Let's also not forget, that Loki being the villain of the piece sort of by itself gives Thor great significance.

That being said, assuming our hero makes it to A2 in one piece, I think he will play a big part in things. Asgardian mysticism/science should be something beyond the knowledge of Ultron. It's not something the killer A.I. should easily handle, to my thinking.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #797
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorking View Post
If TTDW does extremely well in the theatres as I suspect it will, Whedon will be under quite a bit of pressure to make sure Thor gets quality screen time in The Age of Ultron sequel...He's really been quiet where Thor is concerned which worries me...
Yeah it worries me too, let's hope T:TDW does atleast 800M so Whedon understands that The God of Thunder brings big bucks.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #798
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Yeah it worries me too, let's hope T:TDW does atleast 800M so Whedon understands that The God of Thunder brings big bucks.
I so badly want TDW to kill it. Not like he needed it but I feel RDJ benefited from Avengers momentum big time. Hopefully, the Mandarin twist didn't steal that momentum and there's still some gas in the tank for Thor.

But more than anything I want TDW to simply be a great film. If it's done right it should hit $800 million easy. I love the book Ender's Game but I don't have a lot of faith in Gavin Hood after Borigins. I don't think that will be a threat to a Marvel Studios film. It's Catching Fire we have to worry about.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #799
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

The script will already be locked by the time Thor premieres if it is not already locked.

And lets be real, if there is one math equation true today, it is
Robert Downey Jr. = Big Bucks

Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #800
seahammer
Side-Kick

Quote:
But more than anything I want TDW to simply be a great film.
This is really what it's all about.

I went into the first Thor film as a lifelong fan of the character, and I told myself "If this is the only big budget film Thor ever gets, I just want it to be good enough for me to love it." I walked out of the theater with my expectations exceeded big time! I know I'm not the only one who loved it (since the number of Thor fans in the world has multiplied seemingly exponentially), but I only really cared that I liked it. Sorry if that's selfish!

And now, we've seen Thor in the Avengers and are lucky enough to be getting an awesome-looking sequel. It would be great for T:TDW to make a ton of cash, have great critical reception, and earn a Thor 3, but I never expect anything. I just want it to be another Thor film that is true to the characters and that I can enjoy over and over again on BluRay without reservation.

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote