The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 08-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #76
regwec
Shakespearo

Default Re: Summer Olympic Games - London 2012 - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaratoiel View Post
I don't think I've seen so many medals for Great Britain... Either they win so much because it's in London, or it's something else (which I hope not).
Maybe it's because we are fortunate in having some very talented athletes who have been afforded the very best coaching in order to secure the biggest possible medal haul for our own Olympics?

Europe seems to have an regrettable case of dépit over this matter.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #77
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...2501--oly.html

Is it all that creepy?

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #78
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
There were a few shots that made the eyebrow go up....but it wasn't THAT BAD....

Old 08-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #79
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

I'm not complaining!

Old 08-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #80
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I don't think it's a big deal.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #81
Mace Bloodstone
Prospect

NBC asked to cease ringside commentary
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing-...--finance.html

I couldn't agree more, the commentary especially during the gymnastics made me change the channel or put it on mute countless times.. Shutup!

Mace Bloodstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #82
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

All the NBC backlash makes me glad I'm watching the Olympics on the BBC.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #83
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
All the NBC backlash makes me glad I'm watching the Olympics on the BBC.
It's fun to bash NBC, no doubt and I've done my fair share. But they have improved so, so much over previous Games.

They've more or less eliminated the hideous tear-jerking promo packages that used to saturate their coverage.

I'm still not sure why we missed the second set of the May/Walsh semifinal match so Manly Carillo could give us a history lesson on coordinates. That baffles me.

Some of their personalities are really bad, and they've got some great talent that gets little to do. And that's the lion's share of my frustration.

Al Michaels, great play-by-play man, Olympic legend, and here he is by a coffee table and burning fireplace to send the call out to Dwight Stones. Really?

Michelle Beadle is a fun sports personality and yet we had to endure Ryan Seacrest putting on a serious face and acting like he's a journalist and not some game show host. But at the same time, they had Tom Brokaw and Brian Williams trying to act like serious journalists too. At least Brokaw was just there to peddle his next nostalgia-based project.

The tale-delays are just part of deal. There's no escaping that on any network. However, some big events were not aired live that we're later not aired in primetime. Additionally, if it's the weekend just air the damned events live during the afternoon. Sometimes, it's like they don't know what they're doing with their schedule.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #84
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Here's another one, you had larger than life personality John McEnroe doing pieces on Ryan Lochte instead of from day one saying, "Here's Roger Federer, greatest player of the Open Era and he's 0-3 in singles medals. This is his last chance. Oh and here's Andy Murray, Britain's great hope with a heartbreaking story and chance at redemption."

They should have been building that storyline since day one, and scored in the ratings.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #85
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Bloodstone View Post
NBC asked to cease ringside commentary
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing-...--finance.html

I couldn't agree more, the commentary especially during the gymnastics made me change the channel or put it on mute countless times.. Shutup!
lol...Daggett, Elfie and Trautwig do need to shut up more often. I hate that they often talk over routines instead of letting the viewer watch without their incessant chatter.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #86
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I love the dramatic music americans put on emotional TV stuff.

Popular British band Elbow who are like Coldplay except you can admit to liking them in public without people thinking you have terrible taste in music do the olympics song for the BBC.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 08-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #87
Radioactive1980
Banned User

Just watched Mo Farah sail to Olympic glory for the second time this games in the 5000m. What a performance, stunning.

Now I'm just waiting to see if the Lightning Bolt can make it 3 golds this games in the final event of the night- the 4x100. It will be close with USA now that Asafa Powell is out due to injury. USA got Gay, Bailey and Gatlin, but then Jamaica have got Blake and the big man.

If Bolt & co do it, he will have done the triple twice (Olympic gold in 100m 200m & 4x100m). The you gotta ask yourself, can he do the triple-triple in Rio in 2016? Personally I think he can. That would be something.

Also I would like to point out that I believe Carl Lewis could have secured Olympic gold in the 100m three times, but because he did not qualify for that individual event in the 1992 US trials, he was not allowed to compete.

However once the '92 games started, it was evident to all he was in shape. The final leg of the 4x100m which he ran was the fastest ever final leg of a 4x100m for years, until 2007 according to ESPN. Christie would not have been able to beat him had he competed in the individual event.

Last edited by Radioactive1980; 08-11-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Radioactive1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #88
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I kind of got the feeling that Americans are receiving most of the coverage because the games are in London. It's like our "sister" country. If NBC isn't focusing on an American then they are talking to some British guy.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #89
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
It's fun to bash NBC, no doubt and I've done my fair share. But they have improved so, so much over previous Games.

They've more or less eliminated the hideous tear-jerking promo packages that used to saturate their coverage.

I'm still not sure why we missed the second set of the May/Walsh semifinal match so Manly Carillo could give us a history lesson on coordinates. That baffles me.

Some of their personalities are really bad, and they've got some great talent that gets little to do. And that's the lion's share of my frustration.

Al Michaels, great play-by-play man, Olympic legend, and here he is by a coffee table and burning fireplace to send the call out to Dwight Stones. Really?

Michelle Beadle is a fun sports personality and yet we had to endure Ryan Seacrest putting on a serious face and acting like he's a journalist and not some game show host. But at the same time, they had Tom Brokaw and Brian Williams trying to act like serious journalists too. At least Brokaw was just there to peddle his next nostalgia-based project.

The tale-delays are just part of deal. There's no escaping that on any network. However, some big events were not aired live that we're later not aired in primetime. Additionally, if it's the weekend just air the damned events live during the afternoon. Sometimes, it's like they don't know what they're doing with their schedule.
NBC is saving Al Michaels voice for Sunday Night Football.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #90
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
USA Women win 4 x 400 Meter Relay.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 08-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #91
regwec
Shakespearo

Mo Farah...legend.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #92
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

So, by how much will the USA Women win in basketball today?

Old 08-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #93
Radioactive1980
Banned User

36.84 new WR! The Lightning Bolt strikes again.

Radioactive1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #94
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Great finale to the amazing track & field program. Brilliant win by Mo Farah, just exhilarating! Bolt capped things off with another WR and in between the US Ladies romped home for the 4x400M Gold, another Gold for Allyson Felix.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #95
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

There is talk that Usain Bolt is considering the long jump in Rio.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #96
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

^^lol...as well doing Youtube videos so he can play for Manchester United. I love the guy on the track, but he is a braggart of the worst sort. It's starting to turn me off.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #97
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Does anyone think that Wushu might be added to the Rio line up? I know it's up for consideration, but its been up for consideration before.

I don't see why they don't add it. I mean....c'mon...they added BMX riding and Beach volleyball, but they won't add a sport that is thousand of years old!!! Give me a break!

Old 08-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #98
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
NBC is saving Al Michaels voice for Sunday Night Football.
That doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
^^lol...as well doing Youtube videos so he can play for Manchester United. I love the guy on the track, but he is a braggart of the worst sort. It's starting to turn me off.
I agree that his boasting is starting to become a turnoff. Calling himself the greatest athlete to ever live made Rickey Henderson blush.

But he probably would win the long jump with the proper training. That sport has regressed badly since top sprinters stopped competing in it. The world record jump was set in 1991. And not by doping East Germans.

I thought it was funny that some 25 years since the infamous East Germans competed at the Olympics that they got two pretty big shoutouts at these Games: Ye Shiwen being compared to Petra Schneider who was injected enough anabolic steroids to make her androgynous. And then their woman's 4x100 relay record that somehow stood for 27 years.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #99
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Does anyone think that Wushu might be added to the Rio line up? I know it's up for consideration, but its been up for consideration before.

I don't see why they don't add it. I mean....c'mon...they added BMX riding and Beach volleyball, but they won't add a sport that is thousand of years old!!! Give me a break!
The combat sports are so painfully boring in the Olympic setting. There's more punching and kicking in soccer and basketball games than Taekwondo and boxing at the Olympics.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #100
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

^^...lol

The Ye Shiwen drama does make you wonder because she smoked everyone by what looked like a half pool length. Add that to China's long history of doping in swimming and there is definite cause for suspicion.

I would love Bolt in the long jump. I'd love to see him inspiring athletes with his amazing feats, but I feel like he is getting a pass for being a total *******. If this dude's country had stars and stripes instead of the yellow and gold he would be castigated on a daily basis until he shut the hell up.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 08-11-2012 at 04:58 PM.