Ladies love gold

USA!

Old 08-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #102
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Default Re: Summer Olympic Games - London 2012 - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
The combat sports are so painfully boring in the Olympic setting. There's more punching and kicking in soccer and basketball games than Taekwondo and boxing at the Olympics.
LOL...that may be true, but it's a technical sport as well as a combat sport. I just think you need to know how to market them effectively for them to be appealing.

I actually watched some of the matches on the other NBC channels and thought Wushu would make a good addition. I'm not a Wushu expert by any means, but I happened to watch one of the Wushu world championships with a friend and was blown away. It is technical, but I found it very exciting.

LOL...this could be becasue I LOVE kung fu movies

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #103
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Once the No Theme Team wins good tomorrow, that should be 45 Gold for Team USA, which I believe is their best showing in a non boycotted Olympics in sixty years. Or it ties the best showing.

I was thinking, maybe we should start counting the individual golds for each member of a team. When you consider that the USA is really going home with like 250 gold medals because we're really good at team sports, it has some merit. Counting it as one gold kind of diminishes a sport that requires working well with others.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #104
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Hmmmm...the team is meant to function as one. Counting them individually sort of discounts the team effort.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #105
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
LOL...that may be true, but it's a technical sport as well as a combat sport. I just think you need to know how to market them effectively for them to be appealing.

I actually watched some of the matches on the other NBC channels and thought Wushu would make a good addition. I'm not a Wushu expert by any means, but I happened to watch one of the Wushu world championships with a friend and was blown away. It is technical, but I found it very exciting.

LOL...this could be becasue I LOVE kung fu movies
I don't know anything about Wushu, never seen it, but I believe you. Sounds like the Olympic movement needs it.

I tried watching Taekwondo, and it was sooo bad. Two guys in Astronaut suits doing nothing. And when they do hit a kick or something? "Oh it doesn't count! It grazed his elbow for a block." It looks very technical but the rules are so restrictive there's like no way to score points.

I also saw where the IOC has decided to help break wrestling ties by drawing colored rocks out of a bag. GENIUS.

Oddly enough, NBC had Pat Croce, a physical therapist doing color commentary for Taekwondo.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #106
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
Hmmmm...the team is meant to function as one. Counting them individually sort of discounts the team effort.
I can understand that. That's kinda true. But I would counter by saying that it would be like giving Kobe Byrant a gold medal and Tyson Chandler a silver when they play on the same team. They win their gold together or they lose it together. That doesn't change.

Not to diminish the team aspect but to modify the approach in tabulating the medal count. I'm simply saying that the USA had 250 golden athletes, 250 gold medals, and the medal table should reflect that.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #107
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Despite what David Stern thinks, the NBA players will return to Rio:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...mes/56919010/1

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #108
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Despite what David Stern thinks, the NBA players will return to Rio:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...mes/56919010/1
Even if he had put in a ban, I'd think some players would go against him and play anyways just to spite him. It would be awesome if that happened since I absolutely hate everything Stern stands for in regards to the current state of the NBA.

Webfoot Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #109
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

The US got an unexpected gold medal in 10m platform diving from David Boudia. I believe he's America's first gold medal diver since Greg Louganis.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #110
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
I can understand that. That's kinda true. But I would counter by saying that it would be like giving Kobe Byrant a gold medal and Tyson Chandler a silver when they play on the same team. They win their gold together or they lose it together. That doesn't change.

Not to diminish the team aspect but to modify the approach in tabulating the medal count. I'm simply saying that the USA had 250 golden athletes, 250 gold medals, and the medal table should reflect that.

I see what you are saying, but the athletes participating in team sports won their "gold" as a team. IMO, this doesn't compare to the individual athletes who won their medal as an individual. Kobe IS awesome, but if he is the only man playing in team basketball then he is going to lose all the time.

I agree everyone on that that team is a gold medalist, but the effort was a team effort. Not an individual one.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #111
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
I don't know anything about Wushu, never seen it, but I believe you. Sounds like the Olympic movement needs it.
If you have seen a Kung Fu flick then you have seen Wushu... Though with a lot of extra stuff added.

For the combat sports, the Olympics need to think of marketing it just like professional boxing. Add colorful commentators who know what they are talking about. They could also benefit by adding music, better backgrounds, etc.... It would also be beneficial if they provided graphics detailing solid connections and what not, but the staid old Olympics keeps show combat sports like wrestling...which is a totally different type of combat sport. Still, wrestling could take a cue from the WWE too.

It's all in the production.

LOL...imagine CHUCK NORRIS commentating on combat sports. I might be interesting...lol

Last edited by charl_huntress; 08-11-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #112
Dr. Evil
Gamora

The talk shows are already starting to book the Olympians:

- Letterman will have Ashton Eaton on Monday, The US Gymnastics team on Tuesday, Dana Vollmer on Wednesday and Men's High Jump silver medalist Erick Kynard on Thursday.
- Leno has Gabby Douglas on Monday, Missy Franklin on Wednesay, Ryan Lochte on Thursday and Allyson Felix on Friday.
- Jimmy Fallon has Hope Solo on Wednesday.
- The Daily Show has Missy May Treanor on Tuesday

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 08-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #113
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

And Piers Morgan will have Michael Phelps' massage therapist on Monday and the USA volleyball equipment manager on Wednesday.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #114
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
The US got an unexpected gold medal in 10m platform diving from David Boudia. I believe he's America's first gold medal diver since Greg Louganis.
It won't get the press it deserves but this is easily the most surprising result of the whole Olympics.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #115
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

very true...especially considering Chinese dominance. Hope they play it up....

Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 PM   #116
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevaratoiel View Post
Winning everything? I think not... Sure, you're topping in the medal ranking list, but everything? Hehehe...

I don't think I've seen so many medals for Great Britain... Either they win so much because it's in London, or it's something else (which I hope not).
And what is the something else you are referring to???

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #117
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Scones.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #118
Kelly
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Biscuits...

Old 08-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #119
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Fish and chips...

Old 08-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #120
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Bangers and mash...

Old 08-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #121
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

The 4x100 was pretty awesome. Bailey didn't too bad next to Bolt. Certainly made him work for it.

Happy for Tyson Gay to finally get a medal. And I'm happy for the return of a clean Justin Gatlin. I love the way he runs with those high knees, and so glad he was in London to compete again.

Allyson Felix was the star of USA track and field. She'll no doubt inspire a new generation of American athletes. She's a pretty lady, but it must be said, when she smiles you can literally see all of her teeth. Back molars, everything. She has the biggest smile in history!

Old 08-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #122
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Destiny Hooker of USA volleyball. What a name.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #123
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

^^I really like her even though she went to USC. I am glad she is getting attention because she is just so much better as an athlete then Lolo.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #124
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Allyson Felix will be back for Rio as well, so she has a chance to add more medals. Carmelita Jeter and Sanya Richards Ross are unknowns for Rio.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #125
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Destiny Hooker of USA volleyball. What a name.
I want to legally change my name to that now.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote