The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

View Poll Results: GL & Flash pairing
Hal & Barry 37 51.39%
John & Wally 35 48.61%
A different GL or Flash 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
cleverusername8
Or something like that
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 811
Default How would you feel about John Stewart and Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

As the roles of Green Lantern and Flash. I realize that this is how it was in the cartoon which is part of the appeal (general audience members may remember them from seeing the show).

Plus, it'd probably be a good idea to distance audiences from hal jordan for a while after the 2011 flop. Then there is the whole actor diversity thing (aside from Martian Manhunter who should definitely appear in the movie).

I think Wally's personality would be greatly suited for this kind of movie. Even if they make the movie dark and serious they'll need some level of comic relief (just subtle comic relief). Although Barry's backstory is probably better suited for a standalone film, they could make Wally a late-teens runaway (haha get it?) who stays with his aunt ( for the connection to barry, the lab, and ultimately his powers). He'd be the youngest member and therefore a big of an overconfident loose cannon. I think that'd make a great dynamic with the rest of the team (who would be kinda condescending to him).

Plus i loved the whole wally comedy with john as the straight man thing in the cartoon.

EDITED to add a poll. About time right? lol


Last edited by cleverusername8; 11-01-2012 at 08:28 AM.
cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,282
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

Why do people keep saying Wally is comic relief? I do wish they'd stop that, he's no more comical than his predecessor.

They shouldn't use John because he's a boring-ass mopey character.

__________________
*\S/T*
"But that's the thing about Batman. Batman thinks of everything."
"There's always a way. When the odds are impossible- do the impossible."
Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
SuperFerret
A Decade of Derision
 
SuperFerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude
Posts: 33,322
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Why do people keep saying Wally is comic relief? I do wish they'd stop that, he's no more comical than his predecessor.

They shouldn't use John because he's a boring-ass mopey character.
Maybe because Wally has played the role of comic relief in the past?

I disagree with you on John as well.

__________________
Faster than a speeding hamster.
-----More powerful than a box of tissues.
----------Able to leap off of tall buildings and hit the ground.
SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,282
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
Maybe because Wally has played the role of comic relief in the past?
The JLU Flash had Barry's origin and life, Wally's name and Bart's personality. The character everyone seems to want is Bart, not Wally.

Quote:
I disagree with you on John as well.
He's spent years moping over Xanshi and it just got ridiculously boring, hell Hal got over his Parallax guilt faster.

__________________
*\S/T*
"But that's the thing about Batman. Batman thinks of everything."
"There's always a way. When the odds are impossible- do the impossible."
Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid
 
N7 Joseph Shepard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Adrianne Palicki's heavenly bosom
Posts: 2,895
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

The thing with John Stewart, I wouldnt mind seeing him at any point, cause he can be there at the same time as Hal Jordan.

Wally West however......I dont want to see him right away as The Flash, introduce Barry, have him established as The Flash, bring in Wally as Kid Flash and then yes....KILL off Barry and make Wally take on the role of Flash.

__________________
Cavill/Heard/Sprayberry - House Of El -Snyder
Affleck
- Batman -
Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Reynolds/Pine - Green Lantern -
Bay
Gosling/Kwanten - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
- It's the Dawn Of A New Day!!!!
N7 Joseph Shepard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
SuperFerret
A Decade of Derision
 
SuperFerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude
Posts: 33,322
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
The JLU Flash had Barry's origin and life, Wally's name and Bart's personality. The character everyone seems to want is Bart, not Wally.
Wally's been comic relief in the Justice League comic a few times, not just the show.

And Bart's terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
He's spent years moping over Xanshi and it just got ridiculously boring, hell Hal got over his Parallax guilt faster.
That's because Hal's a subhuman schmuck of the highest caliber.

__________________
Faster than a speeding hamster.
-----More powerful than a box of tissues.
----------Able to leap off of tall buildings and hit the ground.
SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
Blackman
King Kong
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,178
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

I'd be freaking ecstatic if they use Wally over Barry. I think Wally is a much better character and if they do spin off a Flash movie that he's the better choice.

As for John Stewart, I wouldnt mind at all. But about the spin offs. Im really skeptical of John carrying his own film

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,282
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
Wally's been comic relief in the Justice League comic a few times, not just the show.
Never as much as Kyle or Hal were/are.

Quote:
And Bart's terrible.
I'm fairly indifferent to Bart. He works in Titans because he is the lighthearted character, after the Robins got all serious.

Quote:
That's because Hal's a subhuman schmuck of the highest caliber.

__________________
*\S/T*
"But that's the thing about Batman. Batman thinks of everything."
"There's always a way. When the odds are impossible- do the impossible."
Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9,219
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

It's weird, i want Barry Allen and not Wally West, because i KNOW theyll make him a 100 percent goof and thats it. Which is what they did with Ryan Reynolds as Hal so he can be the Tony Stark of the group.

But i like John Stewart too. So it's a hard choice.

Stewarts not mopey. Hes just a serious cat. Barry Allen can still have jokes, but be serious when needed. And Stewart can be mr discipline. The problem is that we all enjoy the Hal Jordan-Barry Allen thing. And theyre the originals for JL.

Also between Bruce Wayne, Superman and possibly Aquamans personality, i think Stewart would be too much. There needs to be a balance, even if some of us want that gritty direction. So i dunno....i say keep Hal for JL only, and in 10 years when its all said and done....launch Green Lantern movies with John Stewart.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,902
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

I'd be totally okay with it.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #11
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9,219
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

But to answer ur question, i would be OK with it yeah. I like both combinations. But if ur doing a live-action JLA finally, id like to see the main members of the original team. Leave a couple of names for the sequel.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
cleverusername8
Or something like that
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 811
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
But to answer ur question, i would be OK with it yeah. I like both combinations. But if ur doing a live-action JLA finally, id like to see the main members of the original team. Leave a couple of names for the sequel.
I agree that it's probably better from a comic reader's perspective to stick to the original group for the first movie but I'm writing this from the perspective of a GA member (I've only read the new 52 JL and seen the cartoon. All 5 seasons) plus i'm not sure how well people who don't follow DC will react to Aquaman in a serious-esque movie XD

For the sequel i think they should put in new characters instead of new versions of the existing ones. Whoever they choose at the start should remain for all of the JL movies they'll make.

cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #13
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,282
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

Wally West doesn't exist in the New 52.

In any case, I don't think John should be used at all. One of my favourite things about the team are the dynamics. Wally and John were never close, not like Hal and Barry or Kyle and Wally.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
Blackman
King Kong
 
Blackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,178
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

They were close in the DCAU

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #15
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,771
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

I'd like it, provided its DCAU John and not "I love collateral damage" John.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:14 PM   #16
charl_huntress
The Offender
 
charl_huntress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Outside the doors of Arkham Ayslum
Posts: 9,162
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

I'm not invested in those characters to mind and never got the fuss during STAS, JL and JLU.

Why isn't anyone suggesting Kyle?

__________________
Mission Accomplished!
"Domine secundum actum meum noli me iudicare: nihil dignum in conspectu tuo egi. Ideo deprecor maiestatem tuam, ut tu Deus deleas iniquitatem meam."
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #17
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 25,336
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

You read my mind.

Kyle and Wally, yes. John and Wally, no.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #18
sethypants
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,345
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

Its a deal breaker for me. I would not watch the movie without Hal and Barry.
Its lame and stupid to bench two of their most popular characters for 2nd stringers.

sethypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #19
RadioSha
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 377
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

John Stewart is fine

Wally West is a no no for me. I want Barry Allen. A badass, yet charming Barry Allen

RadioSha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #20
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,208
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

john stewart is not as compelling as hal

hal has a strong story arc of overcoming fear

has a love interest turned villain and is a more charismatic character his character is better suited for film

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #21
sethypants
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,345
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
john stewart is not as compelling as hal

hal has a strong story arc of overcoming fear

has a love interest turned villain and is a more charismatic character his character is better suited for film
Its true.
John Stewart has nothing going on for him. He is a boring character. Anyone who disagree should substantiate that with reasons.
People who want John Stewart as GL just like him because of the animated series. Wehn in fact he does not have any prominent relationships or suppirting cast. He has not been a major part of any story line for the past ten years. He is a very stern and serious character. That is the way he is in the comics and even JLU.
Hal has Carol Ferris, Abin Sur, Sinestro, Hector Hammond, Arisia, Parallax all tied to him. Hal has been a prominent role in all the DC animated movies like crisis on two earth and doom and New Frontier. Hal was a key figure in Blackest Night, Brightest Day, Sinestro Corp War, War of the Green Lantern.
Hal jordan is the lead character in Green Lantern the animated series. Hal was also the lead character in First Flight and Emerald Knights.

Even Kyle have a bigger role in DCU than John. Kyle is leading a team now, was linked to Jade, Soranik Natu and Sinestro.

John Stewart had his whole Xanshi saga which no one cared for. killed a planet and another green lantern. He had a weird relationship with this lantern and not much supporting characters or love interest.
John Stewart also cant have a spin off into his own movie because he would have nothing to help him build the movie. Writers can merge the two characters together but its not being true to fans and will only piss off more people.

sethypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #22
sethypants
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,345
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

Anyone who suggest John should give more reasons than racial diversity and that he was on JLU. Because Hal still has the most number of mainstream appearances.

sethypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 PM   #23
TheWatcher
Dapper
 
TheWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,768
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

You cant use Wally before Barry. Wally wouldn't have powers if it wasn't for him being in Barrys lab.

Barry is Flash in the comics right now. Ditto with Hal.

__________________
"I have this theory that, depending on your attitude, your life doesn't have to become this ridiculous charade that it seems so many people end up living."

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #24
DaveMoral
Side-Kick
 
DaveMoral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,606
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

John is best teamed up with Guy IMO. They play off each other really well.

I think they should do Hal and Barry.

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #25
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9,219
Default Re: How would you feel about John Stewart amd Wally West instead of Hal and Barry?

I wanna see Stewart on screen eventually but everybodys right who say it should be Hal and Barry.

If they go with Wally over Barry for any reason i think i would just stare at my screen for about an hour with a palm over my face.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.