Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #26
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Default Re: Young Justice Cartoon - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread View Post
You dislike Superboy but like Superman? Interesting.

And here I thought I was weird for liking Cyclops but never caring for Jean Grey.
I am not the only one who doesn't like him. My issue with him as well as many other characters who were introduced in this vein....is Superman is supposed to the last son of Krypton. Also, the comics made it very clear his DNA was not supposed to compatible with a human....so how in the hell did you clone him????

If they can clone Superman then Lois can have a child.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:11 AM   #27
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: Young Justice Cartoon - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I am not the only one who doesn't like him. My issue with him as well as many other characters who were introduced in this vein....is Superman is supposed to the last son of Krypton. Also, the comics made it very clear his DNA was not supposed to compatible with a human....so how in the hell did you clone him????

If they can clone Superman then Lois can have a child.
I believe the explanation in the comics ultimately was similar to what YJ did. That they had to splice Superboy's DNA with human to make it work (which was why Bizarro came out off), and ultimately it was Luthor's DNA. Geoff Johns wrote that into his run on TEEN TITANS way back when he was just known as "that quirky guy who writes THE FLASH well". He likely got a new origin with the New 52 but damned if I know what it is. Johns' relaunch of TEEN TITANS came after the comic version of YOUNG JUSTICE ended at the turn of the century, if memory serves.

Whether Superman is the last Kryptonian or not is something DC editorial has flip flopped upon a few times since the late 80's. In the end they always decide against it because people buy SUPERGIRL and the geezers who run the offices like Krypto. And because Superman's rogues gallery is still so bare that denying the use of General Zod to writers becomes a sticking point.

Lois could always have a child with Superman because it's fiction; good or clever writing can always find a way. But DC editorial seems to prefer Superman as an angst ridden loner, so that's not happening these days.

Last edited by Dread; 08-16-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #28
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
I believe the explanation in the comics ultimately was similar to what YJ did. That they had to splice Superboy's DNA with human to make it work (which was why Bizarro came out off), and ultimately it was Luthor's DNA. Geoff Johns wrote that into his run on TEEN TITANS way back when he was just known as "that quirky guy who writes THE FLASH well". He likely got a new origin with the New 52 but damned if I know what it is. Johns' relaunch of TEEN TITANS came after the comic version of YOUNG JUSTICE ended at the turn of the century, if memory serves.
It's still crap. From what I have read, and I will find quotes if need be, Kryptonian DNA kills human DNA. Again, there is no way they could have cloned him if Superman is not capable of mating with a human. Seriously, that's my only damn gripe.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #29
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
It's still crap. From what I have read, and I will find quotes if need be, Kryptonian DNA kills human DNA. Again, there is no way they could have cloned him if Superman is not capable of mating with a human. Seriously, that's my only damn gripe.
I'm certain there are quotes. However, I'm just saying DC flip-flops on that sort of thing frequently. Comic book senior editors on both sides of the "big two" make up stuff as they go along every year, and then deny it.

That and the only family allowed to exist in the "New 52" are Batman and his four Robin's. All others imply "age". The strategy has been a brilliant attempt to capture the spirit of the 90's. The only problem is the 90's ended a dozen years ago.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #30
Jordacar
The Endless One

Still catching up, I just finished "Misplaced." While I loved the episode, there's something I just can't get past:

So the kids went to one dimension, and the adults went to the other. And when the heroes won, the dimensions became united again. Okay, fine. But what about all the objects that were displaced after the split? Like the plane Billy Batson was in with his friend that suddenly had no pilot after they both crossed over? And don't get me started on the car crashes.

It's not really a knock against the show, this kind of this happens in the comics quite a bit.

And another question: why does Superboy have a direwolf? I saw it happen, but was that in the comics, or did they just toss that in randomly and decide to keep it?

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #31
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

I still doubt we really will have a jl film any time soon. With the way wb has been handling live action dc stuff.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #32
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordacar View Post
Still catching up, I just finished "Misplaced." While I loved the episode, there's something I just can't get past:

So the kids went to one dimension, and the adults went to the other. And when the heroes won, the dimensions became united again. Okay, fine. But what about all the objects that were displaced after the split? Like the plane Billy Batson was in with his friend that suddenly had no pilot after they both crossed over? And don't get me started on the car crashes.

It's not really a knock against the show, this kind of this happens in the comics quite a bit.

And another question: why does Superboy have a direwolf? I saw it happen, but was that in the comics, or did they just toss that in randomly and decide to keep it?
In fairness, "The Light" did note that all they expected Klarion to do was create a distraction for the world/super heroes so they could steal the "Starro chunk" from STAR LABS, and that his tactic was a bit "overkill".

I don't think Superboy ever hung out with a direwolf in the comics. I usually consider Wolf and Sphere to be a riff on the "superpets" that Superman and Supergirl had in the comics at various points. Krypto the Super-Dog is the only one that endures (and even had his own animated TV show) but historically it included Streaky the super-cat, a super-horse and a super-chimp. Supergirl used to be VERY attached to her Super-horse. It could also be a riff on the zoo which Superman usually maintains in the Fortress of Solitude containing exotic alien animals or other animals he's saved or whatnot.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #33
Jordacar
The Endless One

Finished the first season! Whew, what a ride!

Really starting to feel the strain of too many characters, especially when Icon and Rocket pop in to contribute very little. I've been reading comics since the early 90s, and even I've never heard of those two. I got a little weirded out when they were roped in so late in the game. Still, it was an amazing climax with some great payoffs. I especially loved the moment of Superboy, M'gann and Artemis all coming clean with their season-long secrets. Not to mention our heroes squaring off against their brainwashed mentors.

It's hard to imagine how this show plays to non-fans. With a basic knowledge of DC lore, you might be okay, but short of that...

Other than that, this show is completely amazing in just about every measurable sense.

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #34
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

When do new episodes start?

Old 08-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #35
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

29th September supposedly...

The schedule should be out at the end of August.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 08-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #36
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Thanks

Old 08-20-2012, 01:29 AM   #37
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordacar View Post
Finished the first season! Whew, what a ride!

Really starting to feel the strain of too many characters, especially when Icon and Rocket pop in to contribute very little. I've been reading comics since the early 90s, and even I've never heard of those two. I got a little weirded out when they were roped in so late in the game. Still, it was an amazing climax with some great payoffs. I especially loved the moment of Superboy, M'gann and Artemis all coming clean with their season-long secrets. Not to mention our heroes squaring off against their brainwashed mentors.

It's hard to imagine how this show plays to non-fans. With a basic knowledge of DC lore, you might be okay, but short of that...

Other than that, this show is completely amazing in just about every measurable sense.
If you thought Season 1 - especially the end - suffered from the strain of too many characters, then you may need to catch your breath before starting Season 2. Or at least the first 7 (of 20) episodes that have aired.

I imagine Icon and Rocket were featured as both a tribute to Dwayne McDuffie (who created them) as well as to showcase DC superheroes of color who had yet to see animation. And heck, there aren't too many DC superheroes of color period, beyond Cyborg, Vixen, Bumblebee, and Black Lightening who have all been seen before (and some seen again). Even Static came from the same MILESTONE imprint that Icon did. I would have liked to have seen Rocket ease into the team, but that didn't happen. Thus I have to conclude that her appearance at the end of Season 1 was merely as a POV to provide a good excuse for an exposition summary as well as as someone with a useful power set (crucial against Black Canary or Wonder Woman).

I don't consider myself a major DC Comics fan - I am easily more a fan of DC Animation than the actual comic universe they hail from, as odd as that seems. However, much like with Star Trek I've absorbed enough of the lore to get by. I do feel that the pilot bombarded the viewers with more details than the beginning of "TSSM" which could feel disorienting. But overall it is still a very good show, even if it isn't a flawless one by far.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #38
Blackman
C'mon Son

Yeah I feel they arent balancing all the characters very well in S2. That's why I dont like it was much as 1, but it's still a decent show and has, imo, the best animation of a superhero show that Ive seen

Old 08-20-2012, 02:38 AM   #39
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Yeah I feel they arent balancing all the characters very well in S2. That's why I dont like it was much as 1, but it's still a decent show and has, imo, the best animation of a superhero show that Ive seen
The animation quality is incredible. That is usually something to be taken for granted for WB cartoon but each episode seems to look prettier than even some DTV's. Perhaps the cost per episode relative to the ratings were why this second season was set at 20 episodes instead of 26.

Season 2 seems to want to have "tiers" of characters. You have the "Regular Founders" who are part of "the team" on an everyday basis such as Nightwing, Superboy, and Miss Martian. Then you have the "new members" who seem to be the most important ones like Beast Boy, Blue Beetle, Lagoon Boy, and Wonder Girl. Of course then you have the "secondary newbs" such as Bumblebee, Batgirl, Mal Duncan, and Robin who all appear and have moments but don't get quite as much to do. And then you have "retired regulars" like Artemis, Aqualad, and Wally who are absent for a chunk of the season before returning for various roles, as well as more new characters being introduced outside "the team" such as Impulse. And this is in addition to new supporting cast members and cameos as well as old returning villains and new villains and embellished villains. It's a lot to juggle even if the season weren't shorter than the last and it will be a feat if nothing is dropped.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #40
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
I'm certain there are quotes. However, I'm just saying DC flip-flops on that sort of thing frequently. Comic book senior editors on both sides of the "big two" make up stuff as they go along every year, and then deny it.

That and the only family allowed to exist in the "New 52" are Batman and his four Robin's. All others imply "age". The strategy has been a brilliant attempt to capture the spirit of the 90's. The only problem is the 90's ended a dozen years ago.
That's why I'm not reading current comics. I understand why they do what they do, but I don't want any part of it anymore. They need to agree and stick to it. I'm tired of this back and forth over basic issues of power and DNA. They have had years to fix this.

This was on the reasons I didn't want to watch YJ, but it is also one of the reasons I never wanted to watch in the beginning.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 08-20-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #41
brainchild81
Fighting crime...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grommers View Post
I highly suggest giving GL a shot, I dont know if you watched it, but it took me my second episode in to get hooked. It's not on par with YJ or A:EMH
Agreed on that. I did give it a shot. Never liked Hal Jordan(or any GL that wears a mask) & don't like CGI. Might try again when Guy shows up.

See Black Dynamite

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #42
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
That's why I'm not reading current comics. I understand why they do what they do, but I don't want any part of it anymore. They need to agree and stick to it. I'm tired of this back and forth over basic issues of power and DNA. They have had years to fix this.

This was on the reasons I didn't want to watch YJ, but it is also one of the reasons I never wanted to watch in the beginning.
At least you came around and decided to watch it after all.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:55 AM   #43
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Yes, I do like the show and I am glad I started watching. Now, if I can only get that Superman show...lol

Old 08-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #44
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Yes, I do like the show and I am glad I started watching. Now, if I can only get that Superman show...lol
It certainly has been a long time since we had a mainstream Superman animated TV series. Not counting the one which existed before the SUPERFRIENDS era from Filmation in the 60's and 70's, the Bruce Timm produced "SUPERMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES" ended after 4 seasons in early 2000 when "LEGACY: PART TWO" aired. That 4th season only had three original episodes, and the first, "THE DEMON REBORN" was a crossover with Batman.

There was "LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES", produced by James Tucker which aired two seasons from 2006-2008 during the waning days of Kid's WB. While it wasn't technically a Superman show, his logo was part of the title dress and the character was essentially the lead, and showcased heavily. Hell, in the second season he was literally cloned for twice the action. I doubt you may consider that one but even if one does, it still has been over 5 years since it ended.

A feature film got a Green Lantern animated series to happen (as well as a few DTV's), so I would hardly be surprised if sometime in 2013 a new Superman series wasn't announced. Of course, it may not last long if "MAN OF STEEL" under performs as badly as "GREEN LANTERN" did.

The biggest caveat of course is that while it has been a long time since Superman got an animated series on TV, that the live action "SMALLVILLE" did air on THE WB/THE CW for ten seasons and was the second most profitable TV show WB has produced. The man of steel has actually had decent success in the realm of live action TV. The George Reeves starring "ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN" aired from 1952-1958 on ABC. "SUPERBOY" aired on CBS from 1988-1992 and ran for 4 seasons despite the risk of recasting the lead and altering the direction after the first season. "LOIS & CLARK: THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN" naturally aired on ABC from 1993 to 1997 and made a star out of Dean Cain (as well as arguably a bigger star out of Teri Hatcher). "SMALLVILLE" debuted a mere 4 years after "L&C" ended. So it could be argued (and fairly) that Superman's most successful medium outside the comics has been the realm of weekly live-action TV. While you can have more feats of power and far more accurate villains in animation, this record of success as live action TV could be a reason why WB and DC usually rely on Batman for weekly animated TV - that and his popularity and lack of risk. In contrast, while Batman has had animation and film success, after the 1960's show ended Batman's not worked out well as live action TV. Not even something loosely adapted such as "BIRDS OF PREY" lasted, and a "GRAYSON" series died in the cradle.

Still, in terms of animated DTV releases, Superman has been a major presence. Out of 15 sold or soon-to-be-sold to the public as of 2012, Superman has exclusively starred in 3 and co-starred in 3 alongside Batman (although the SUPERMAN/BATMAN stories are essentially Superman stories, guest starring Batman) and Captain Marvel. Superman also is one of the regular cast in the 3 Justice League DTV's which have been released. Which is actually even with Batman until one counts "THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS: PART TWO" which comes out in 2013. In comparison, the only animated DTV's which didn't include SUPERMAN, BATMAN, and/or JUSTICE LEAGUE in the title were "WONDER WOMAN" and two for GREEN LANTERN. Superman is due another DTV in 2013 so I imagine he will continue to keep even with Bats in the DTV department.

I wouldn't be opposed to another Superman animated TV show but by this juncture I am a bit worn out on both of the "world's finest" to be honest and would be thrilled to see a TV show which didn't heavily feature either of them, or the Murakami Teen Titans. It is unlikely to happen, though, unless "ARROW" really dazzles ratings on The CW. That is part of what I do like about "YOUNG JUSTICE" is that it does focus on other franchises and non-affiliated characters such as Aqualad, Miss Martian, Artemis, Red Tornado, Zatanna, and Kid-Flash. The appearance of Wonder Girl in season two also branched that out too.

Have you seen the two "Superman Classic" animated shorts by Robb Pratt? They're both on YouTube and are pretty good, albeit as teases. If WB wanted to produce a new Superman cartoon, while it'd never happen I'd hardly be opposed to him having a major production role.

Last edited by Dread; 08-21-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #45
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Brandon Vietti just posted some details on the making of the show's Watchtower and the Hall of Justice:

http://www.brandonvietti.blogspot.co...dquarters.html

I can say the biggest difference between this show [YOUNG JUSTICE] and "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" is showcased in one detail; this show expects their audience to know who H.G. Welles is, while "USM" assumes kids have never done anything but play video games in their room or watch MTV.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #46
Primal Slayer
Good ol' Lima Heights

Interesting read. I love how they actually think out nearly everything they do on this show. It is a shame that DC doesnt do the same with their comics.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #47
Drz
Real Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
Brandon Vietti just posted some details on the making of the show's Watchtower and the Hall of Justice:

http://www.brandonvietti.blogspot.co...dquarters.html
Thanks! That was pretty interesting read. =)

Old 08-25-2012, 02:36 AM   #48
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

There are some creators who do or have worked for DC who planned out things that meticulously. Such things are required for working on most major TV animation projects. But, yes, that is pretty cool.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:47 AM   #49
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Still crossing my fingers for a season 3...

I know they are still working on post-production on the last few episodes of season 2... but I was hoping to hear something by now.

- A cryptic hint
- A slip by a voice actor

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 08-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #50
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Still crossing my fingers for a season 3...

I know they are still working on post-production on the last few episodes of season 2... but I was hoping to hear something by now.

- A cryptic hint
- A slip by a voice actor
I considered it a bad sign when the San Diego Comic Con, the BIGGEST platform for alternate comic book media and adaptations such as games, films, and TV came and went without a 3rd season announcement. Sure, we did get the teaser reel for the rest of Season 2, which given production and CN's airing schedule will likely run until early 2013. But that would have seemed the best place to announce it.

It is the end of August. If CN wanted a third season premiere ready by Fall 2013 they really do need to approve it now, and even that would be a very tight schedule. I suppose there is still the New York Comic Con in October to make such an announcement although even that is slim.

DC Nation is committing to two new shows, "BEWARE THE BATMAN" and "SUPER DEFORMED TEEN TITANS" (known in the states as "TEEN TITANS GO!") getting a half hour segment. Unless the block stretches beyond an hour I don't see how a third season of YJ fits. The irony is the show pre-dated DC Nation by a season, and helped set the ground work for it.

Last edited by Dread; 08-25-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Closed Thread