Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #426
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicChick View Post
i saw spoons at the gym the other day:

[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvhbheh8no1r0q73ko2_250.gif[IMG] [IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvhbheh8no1r0q73ko3_250.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvhbheh8no1r0q73ko7_250.gif[IMG]
Haha, I use "Euro" "Training" to squeeze out my final 2 reps quite often actually.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #427
ComicChick
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I've completed 2 weeks of Les Mills Combat now. ready for Week 3!

Old 02-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #428
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Looking to mix up my regimen. Want to pack on 8lbs of lean muscle. Right now, I weigh about 178, down a few pounds from what I usually am at.

Typically, I keep a schedule that varies from day to day like this: Chest/Tri's, Back/Bi's, Shoulders/Legs, day off, repeat. So 3 days on, 1 day off. Not the ideal schedule, I know, but allows me to usually go at least 5 or 6 days a week. I do mix things up sometimes from week to week but now I'm looking for a bigger change.

For all you fitness experts, what's a good way I can re-arrange this to cater to my goals and to optimize the results? Looking to go harder than usual, starting tomorrow.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #429
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
Looking to mix up my regimen. Want to pack on 8lbs of lean muscle. Right now, I weigh about 178, down a few pounds from what I usually am at.

Typically, I keep a schedule that varies from day to day like this: Chest/Tri's, Back/Bi's, Shoulders/Legs, day off, repeat. So 3 days on, 1 day off. Not the ideal schedule, I know, but allows me to usually go at least 5 or 6 days a week. I do mix things up sometimes from week to week but now I'm looking for a bigger change.

For all you fitness experts, what's a good way I can re-arrange this to cater to my goals and to optimize the results? Looking to go harder than usual, starting tomorrow.
I've been doing "3 on 1 off" for 3 weeks now and I like it a lot. It definitely allows you to get to the gym more frequently. My advice would be to separate legs and shoulders so you can do more exercises for both groups. Toss in some trap exercises at the end of shoulder day and blast your calves at the end of leg day.

And obviously consume sufficient calories to gain weight, blah blah blah

Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #430
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

Ok i'm starting a new routine this week for 6 weeks. It goes as MTWTHF and Saturday or Sunday can be optional. Wednesday would be dedicated to cardio and then the rest of the weekdays would be dedicated to lifting. the sets would be a medium level weight 3 sets of 10 and an additional set of 5 which is closer to your max. I would also include on those days at least 20-30 minutes of cardio before or after.

What types of results may i see or should there be something I should change?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #431
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:

What is your height and current bodyfat% ?

How many years have you been lifting weights?

Do you lift with intensity and push yourself when you are in the gym? Do you keep track of the weight used on your key lifts in order for progressive overload?

I think the 3 days split in order to hit each part 2x each week is a fantastic split.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #432
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
What is your height and current bodyfat% ?

How many years have you been lifting weights?

Do you lift with intensity and push yourself when you are in the gym? Do you keep track of the weight used on your key lifts in order for progressive overload?

I think the 3 days split in order to hit each part 2x each week is a fantastic split.
Yeah, been doing the 3-day split for years now (when I can stick to it) and I like getting to hit each part 2x in the week.

I'm 22, 6'2, 178lbs currently. Been lifting since high school. Played football (cornerback/receiver) and ran track (400m, hurdles) for 4 years. Obviously, since high school, the intensity of my workouts has declined. I start up, work out for a stead 2 months, then end up stopping for 2 weeks or so and having to start up again. This was a recurring theme in college since the lifestyle was quite time-consuming and tiring.

I definitely push myself at the gym, keep track of weights, etc. When I'm a good kick, I'll bench 225 with ease. I'm pretty cut but need size, and then more definition. However, I had tendonitis repair surgery on my right hand a year ago. Therefore, my right arm/wrist/grip is not as strong as the other, so it's hard to regain the physique and strength I once had. I use wrist straps for pull exercises to even things out and keep the strain of my grip.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #433
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

almost got to 285 today on bench press, i haven't done that type of weight since last june. My goal is to get to 315 by July.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #434
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Hmm, the tweaking of my left shoulder during squats is starting to concern me. Happened again yesterday, and it felt strained for a few hours afterwards. My shoulder feels fine today, but I'm afraid of going heavier in case I actually injure myself.

I probably need to start experimenting with where I put the bar on my back during the squats. Which position (low or high bar) decreases shoulder strain?

Edit: Actually reading around, it seems that high bar should decrease shoulder strain. That's what I've been doing, but I guess it must not work for me?

Last edited by Anita18; 02-02-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #435
ComicChick
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
The rock in 1993:

Anything is possible.
20 years difference. shows it's never too late

Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #436
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Anita, also experiment with your grip width. I have a very wide grip, like I'm almost touching the plates when I squat.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #437
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, been doing the 3-day split for years now (when I can stick to it) and I like getting to hit each part 2x in the week.

I'm 22, 6'2, 178lbs currently. Been lifting since high school. Played football (cornerback/receiver) and ran track (400m, hurdles) for 4 years. Obviously, since high school, the intensity of my workouts has declined. I start up, work out for a stead 2 months, then end up stopping for 2 weeks or so and having to start up again. This was a recurring theme in college since the lifestyle was quite time-consuming and tiring.

I definitely push myself at the gym, keep track of weights, etc. When I'm a good kick, I'll bench 225 with ease. I'm pretty cut but need size, and then more definition. However, I had tendonitis repair surgery on my right hand a year ago. Therefore, my right arm/wrist/grip is not as strong as the other, so it's hard to regain the physique and strength I once had. I use wrist straps for pull exercises to even things out and keep the strain of my grip.
The good news is you are cut, and I am a big advocate of keeping bodyfat reasonable low, with only a few rare exceptions.

If your hand grip strength is not that great, and your goal is simply to build muscle, for cosmetic reasons, then it would be a good idea to get some lifting straps to help grip with the right hand.

If you chose to go with a caloric surplus to help gain muscle, don't go over 10% more than maintanence calories, and if you start putting on more fat than you want, then cut the calories back to maintanence.

The 2 weeks off between 2 months "kicks" of motivation are likely not a serious issue. It takes a LOT more than two weeks off every 2 months to lose anything significant. Actually an occasional break can help now and then.

The truth is that most natural guys don't gain huge amounts of muscle after their body has already been trained for a couple years. True it is possible to get stronger, but after getting the newb gains, be realistic and don't expect to get huge bodybuilder like muscles.

In fact, if you are 178 with visible abs, even spread out on a 6'2" frame, you are in better shape than most men. Rev up your intensity while in the gy, don't just go through the motions, really try to feel your muscles working.

At the same time, if you are already 178 and in good shape, do not expect to go over 188, with low bodyfat, natural. This feat will also take years, not months to achieve. There are no legal supplements or ways to just quickly pack on ten pounds of muscle like you see in magazine adds, so don't think you are doing something "wrong" if slabs of beef don't come on like magic. It isn't supposed to.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #438
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
Anita, also experiment with your grip width. I have a very wide grip, like I'm almost touching the plates when I squat.
Got any war wounds mashing your fingers on the rack when putting it away?

It stings.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #439
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

A small milestone for me today... I squatted just over my body weight, but only by three pounds!

143 in total or 65kg

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
Old 02-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #440
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Have a read of this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21151163

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
Old 02-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #441
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
Hmm, I'll have to give that a go! I've read you should go for a narrow stance, but squeezing your upper back I suppose doesn't necessarily mean a narrow grip of the hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
Got any war wounds mashing your fingers on the rack when putting it away?

It stings.

That would be quite a feat for me. I can't even comfortably stick my arm out the window when I drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathlok View Post
A small milestone for me today... I squatted just over my body weight, but only by three pounds!

143 in total or 65kg
Great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathlok View Post
Using your muscles is always good, but using hormone replacement therapy depends on each person. Like women who have a predisposition for breast cancer shouldn't get hormone replacement therapy, because the tumor feeds on estrogen. It's probably the same for men and testicular cancer, as mentioned in the article.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #442
PyroChamber
W.B.B.S.

Anyone know a good substitute for weights if you don't have any, or if you don't have anything heavy for that matter?

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #443
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
Anyone know a good substitute for weights if you don't have any, or if you don't have anything heavy for that matter?
Books.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #444
Holiday
'Bout that action

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
You buy milk or water in a jug? Fill one of those with water. Maybe look into prison workouts too, those guys get creative with their workouts.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #445
baby_webhead
Straight Edge

I know we usually just talk about working out here, but since it is the fitness thread i thought I'd throw this question out to you guys.

What do you think of the all raw foods diet? (meats excluded). The diet made up of raw fruits, veggies and nuts only.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #446
the last son
Side-Kick

Hello, hype. So I want to address my situation. I am 6 ft 200 pounds and have gained a little belly by drinking and not eating right. So today, I am going with what someone suggest off of here by counting calories. I am keeping it around 2200. Now does it matter how you get to it or not? I can no longer drink because my job won't allow for zero during work. So I don't have to worry about that for at least a month. Now, today I ate two turkey sandwiches, a can of peaches, 3 of the small bags of chips, an apple and two nutrient bars. A doctor told me to cut out sodium and workout more. I ran for about 15 minutes today and did about 10 minutes of ab workouts. Because of work I can't really guarantee I can do more than that because I'm tired after work but will try. Is what I ate today and how I workout today going to be enough to shed my stomach back down? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #447
the last son
Side-Kick

If your family is rich than yes you can get into shape. You can just live off of them for about 3-4 months while all you do is workout. It's much harder for the working person

Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #448
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Hello, hype. So I want to address my situation. I am 6 ft 200 pounds and have gained a little belly by drinking and not eating right. So today, I am going with what someone suggest off of here by counting calories. I am keeping it around 2200. Now does it matter how you get to it or not? I can no longer drink because my job won't allow for zero during work. So I don't have to worry about that for at least a month. Now, today I ate two turkey sandwiches, a can of peaches, 3 of the small bags of chips, an apple and two nutrient bars. A doctor told me to cut out sodium and workout more. I ran for about 15 minutes today and did about 10 minutes of ab workouts. Because of work I can't really guarantee I can do more than that because I'm tired after work but will try. Is what I ate today and how I workout today going to be enough to shed my stomach back down? Thanks in advance.

If you take in less calories than you burn in a day, you will still lose fat.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/06/health/la-he-fitness-twinkie-diet-20101206

Oddly, haubs health markers also improved, even though his diet was "crap".

It was crap according to the experts, who by the way are experts because other experts said they are, and people proclaimed themselves experts in the first place declared them so, and so forth.

Bottom line, calories are what matters in fat loss, and losing fat in and of itself can greatly improve your health.

I'd say don't be stupid by eating just junk food.

Go for high nutrient foods, but at the same time you NEED to have a caloric deficit in regards to fat loss.

For those others reading a deficit means eating LESS than you burn not just less than you typically eat.

If somene has been eating in a surplus, say maintanence is 2000, and they have been eating 4000, then by dropping to 3000 they will still not lose any weight. They NEED to get it under 2000 in that example.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #449
ComicChick
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

just wondering what some of yall's favorite back exercises are.

my back hurts every day and i'm wondering if strengthening it will help decrease my pain throughout the day

Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #450
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicChick View Post
just wondering what some of yall's favorite back exercises are.

my back hurts every day and i'm wondering if strengthening it will help decrease my pain throughout the day
Deadlifts are magical. Once I lift my 5 reps of 100+lbs in a deadlift, my back feels like it's f***ing invincible. Bonus is that it'll teach you to lift from the floor correctly.

Where does it hurt? It could be shoulder rotation thing, in which case upper back exercises like barbell rows will help. I can't handle heavy weight on the row yet, which is probably why I don't feel it as much as the deadlift.

Corrective stretching will definitely help. Put your back against the wall and expand your chest to have your shoulders and neck touch too.