How I felt while putting together my pullup bar today:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Which one did you buy?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #28
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 5.0 - Part 4

Iron Gym... XTREME!!! *devil horns*

I'm thinking of shoving the safety hook thing in the frame of my garage door (that is, the door that leads into the garage, not the big... yeah...) and putting the bar by the door so I always remember to do a few reps before and after work.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #29
Speedball
Don't. Blink.

I walked into the gym today and the gym owner pulled me aside and said he wanted to start a donation box for me, and that I should give him a picture and a note saying what I'm going through. I told him that he REALLY didn't have to do that, but he's insisting.
It's just so... wtf... to me. I don't usually take handouts and I have all my medical expenses covered. Should I go through with it?

I know it's not directly fitness related, but I had no clue where to ask. It's just so weird to me...

Old 08-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #30
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

So all of your medical expenses covered? Because if you don't need the money, then it wouldn't be fair for anyone to give you donations. If they want to do anything for you, just ask them to get you a shmaltzy "get well soon" card with 10,000 signatures if you're into getting that sort of thing.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #31
Speedball
Don't. Blink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
So all of your medical expenses covered? Because if you don't need the money, then it wouldn't be fair for anyone to give you donations. If they want to do anything for you, just ask them to get you a shmaltzy "get well soon" card with 10,000 signatures if you're into getting that sort of thing.
It would be nice to have a little extra cash because I don't have a job and couldn't take the potential job I was going to get because I wouldn't be able to walk, but I really don't need it.
I might see if I can get them to get me a card or something like that.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #32
ComicChick
Making Bad Guys Good
SHH! Global Moderator

you could accept the donations, and whatever you don't use, donate back to the gym, or to a charity or something in the name of the gym?

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall

The Official Nov/Dec Fan Art Contest
Old 08-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #33
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Quote:
Iron Gym... XTREME!!! *devil horns*

I'm thinking of shoving the safety hook thing in the frame of my garage door (that is, the door that leads into the garage, not the big... yeah...) and putting the bar by the door so I always remember to do a few reps before and after work.
Did my review help you make your decision?

How are you liking it so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedball View Post
I walked into the gym today and the gym owner pulled me aside and said he wanted to start a donation box for me, and that I should give him a picture and a note saying what I'm going through. I told him that he REALLY didn't have to do that, but he's insisting.
It's just so... wtf... to me. I don't usually take handouts and I have all my medical expenses covered. Should I go through with it?

I know it's not directly fitness related, but I had no clue where to ask. It's just so weird to me...
You should tell him no and learn to cook meth instead. LOL...sorry, Ive been watching a lot of Breaking Bad lately.
In seriousness, this would be a little awkward, but if you need the money then maybe you should.

Last edited by mrvlknight21; 08-21-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #34
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvlknight21 View Post
Did my review help you make your decision?

How are you liking it so far?
I pretty much made the purchase based entirely off your review.

I actually haven't tried it out yet. I put it together yesterday after a back workout in the gym, so I was feeling some post-workout wobbliness for the rest of the day. I'm gonna give it a go today.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #35
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by comics View Post
I've stalled my squats again because of a lack of warm-ups. Primarily because the gym I just went to had no stationary bike.
You can do all sorts of jumping jacks aswell.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #36
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Quote:
I pretty much made the purchase based entirely off your review.

I actually haven't tried it out yet. I put it together yesterday after a back workout in the gym, so I was feeling some post-workout wobbliness for the rest of the day. I'm gonna give it a go today.
Oh good, Im glad that it helped you make an informed decision.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:36 AM   #37
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:

If your medical expenses are covered, you shouldn't take the money for the actual operation. But no lie, recovery is gonna be a b**ch. My mom had minor-ish surgery for some female ailment - no need to go into details, other than that the incision with on her butt. And not having use of her butt sucked. She couldn't sit and couldn't lie on her back for weeks. And you're gonna have a footlong incision on your damn leg!

If anything, you could ask for some cheer-you-up things like video games or...iono....whatever they know you like.

Back from the gym, today's StrongLift program was actually pretty difficult! I'm up to 55lb squats and deadlifts, which went well and is definitely becoming a challenge. (Although seriously guys, don't make fun of me. I'm a teeny little stick.) But um...am I really supposed to be doing 45lb overhead presses? Cause my arms are pretty useless. I can do 30lbs pretty well, but 45lbs was a serious no-go. The gym has a 40lb barbell so hopefully I can make that 10-lb jump next time. Unfortunately no 35.

OTOH, I definitely feel like I'm getting stronger. And I can't feel my upper arm bone when I squeeze it...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
...when I'm flexing.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Stupid puny arms.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #38
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:

Quote:
It would be nice to have a little extra cash because I don't have a job and couldn't take the potential job I was going to get because I wouldn't be able to walk, but I really don't need it.
I might see if I can get them to get me a card or something like that.
I got it. Rather than have it be donations towards your medical bills, make it a collection to put towards protein/vitamins/etc once you're recovered and can get back to the gym. It's less like you're begging for handouts and it'll be something you (will) actually need. Heck, you'll need a ton of it while you're inactive to keep your muscle mass anyway. If anybody can understand that, it's the patrons of a gym.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #39
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

I challenge everyone to do 8 sets of 23 burpees today as it is 8/23.

I visited a newer Crossfit/Jiu-Jitsu/Fight Ready/TRX/Krav Maga gym last night. I wanted to see about the jiu-jitsu program because I have heard some amazng stuff about the Professor and my wife might start Fight Ready, but DAMN they are expensive.
It is $160 per month, no matter what program you do and you can only do 1 at that price! I get a law enforcement discount, but its only 20% and have to factor in what I will be paying if my wife joins.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #40
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Okay, so I was wondering if I coul get some advice on loosing weight from those of you who have the know how.

I've joined a gym in my new town and i'm trying to eat the best I can (on a budget and with no cooker). I have M.E. so obviously I generally don't have the energy a lot of people do, but I have been dragging my ass down there for at least 30 mins cardio every day (which, as I am pretty damn unfit, leaves me sweaty and red in the face, sometimes even with a stitch). I'm also doing 30 sit ups a day at home, and some make shift weights (tin cans and stuff ).

Is this going to be enough to loose weight, or am I wasting my time?

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 08-24-2012, 03:24 AM   #41
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

No real tips here since I have the decidedly opposite problem...but HIGH FIVE for taking the first step!

I think diet is really important, from what I've read. You have to be eating really healthy and burning more calories than you take in. For most people, it's much easier not to eat that extra fruit muffin than to burn the equivalent amount of calories, which is about a mile of running. Stuff like that.

I mean, I've been getting A LOT stronger - I certainly didn't think I'd be capable of adding 5 lbs to every exercise at every workout, but I'm keeping up so far! But I haven't gotten any bigger as far as I can see. It's because I'm not supporting my workouts as much as I could with my diet.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #42
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Okay, so I was wondering if I coul get some advice on loosing weight from those of you who have the know how.

I've joined a gym in my new town and i'm trying to eat the best I can (on a budget and with no cooker). I have M.E. so obviously I generally don't have the energy a lot of people do, but I have been dragging my ass down there for at least 30 mins cardio every day (which, as I am pretty damn unfit, leaves me sweaty and red in the face, sometimes even with a stitch). I'm also doing 30 sit ups a day at home, and some make shift weights (tin cans and stuff ).

Is this going to be enough to loose weight, or am I wasting my time?

As Anita pointed out, it's all about the calories: burning more calories than you eat in a day will make you lose weight. It doesn't have to be only "healthy" food but you might find it easier to not overeat if you throw out candy and stuff like that.
If your not interested in counting your calories then I would recommend that you eat more protein during the day since, for most people, it takes the hunger away better than carbs, and it's better to have a higher protein-intake when trying to lose weight.

Good luck

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 08-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #43
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

I've lost more than 6 pounds these past two weeks, just by changing the way I eat.

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049
Old 08-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #44
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léo Ho Tep View Post
I've lost more than 6 pounds these past two weeks, just by changing the way I eat.
What was the change exactly?

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 08-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #45
baby_webhead
Straight Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léo Ho Tep View Post
from eating something to eating nothing?

Old 08-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #46
ComicChick
Making Bad Guys Good
SHH! Global Moderator

my diet has been absolute trash lately and i'm really disappointed in myself about it.

i've been working a ton and under a lot of stressed and slightly depressed. i'd be much more depressed but i try to shut down and block all that and ignore it so it doesn't bring me down even more. i've had insomnia since i was about 12 and that sucks too.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #47
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
What was the change exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_webhead View Post
from eating something to eating nothing?
I almost totally stop eating stuffs with sugar in it. Also, I eat two big spoon of that: http://www.allaboutoatbran.com/en/health-benefits.html every day. It destroys sugar before it reaches blood, so it helps to lose some pounds.

Share your ps4 videos
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post30079049
Old 08-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #48
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Finally able to deadlift over x1.5 my weight. Squats are next.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:59 PM   #49
ComicChick
Making Bad Guys Good
SHH! Global Moderator

congrats

Old 08-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #50
baby_webhead
Straight Edge

This thread has really slowed down. Honestly, I havent gotten a day to work out in 2 weeks. I'm hoping next week gets better.