Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #526
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
What's everyone's take on whey protein shakes?

I've been thinking about getting some whey protein powder, and was wondering if they're good for losing weight.
IMHO it is a waste of money. Protein IS important, but most of the recommendations are for very serious strength athletes, in which case they still only need at most 1.2 grams per pound of lean-body-mass. Anything beyond that is waste.

Now in this case we are talking serious strength athletes, for the normal person looking to shed 15 pounds of fat and look good naked, at the beach, or just to have some self confidence, I think rounding down to 1 gram per pound of lean bodyweight is safe, and you will not lose muscle on that.

This amount of protein one can EASILY get from normal food choices, without wasting one dime on a powdered supplement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
They could be, in the meaning that you can get more protein for less calories versus if you would get the same amount of protein from regular food.
But in the end it all comes down to how many calories you consume, and you wanna get a fairly high amount of protein in order to spare the muscles you have.
You are 100% correct that bodymass directly relates to calories consumed.

As far as supplmenents go, even on a 1500 to 1700 calorie a day diet, what I use when I am cutting, I still get more than enough protein from normal foods.

The whole protein craze in my mind comes from supplement companies.

Most of the time the sources that claim we need huge amounts of it are either:

A. Magazine or Internet source which either advertises Protein supps, OR sells advertising space to someone selling the supps.

B. Someone parroting A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
Your point makes no sense do to the fact that some can calorie count all their lives and still be obese due to bad genetics. But there have been many test that prove that a more protein rich diet can decrease (in general) a bodies weight. Why do you think Greek yogurt has exploded all of the sudden?
Wrong.

They simply did not count them correctly, OR did not calculate their BMR or TDEE correctly.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to even maintain body weight in a caloric deficit. The Human body CANNOT defy the laws of physics and thermodynamics.

The might have "counted" calories, but still did not limit them enough.

If I burn 2500 to 2700 calories a day, to maintain my weight, then to lose 2 pounds a week I need to eat 1500 to 1700 a day, to get me a rough 7,000 calorie deficit for the week.

Lets say I was gaining weight, and eating 4000 a day. Then I cut back to 3000.

Guess what? I'd STILL be gaining weight.

Even though I reduced the amount I had been eating, I would still not be in a deficit until I got the calories lower than 2500 a day.

"Deficit" means less than what you burn in a day, NOT just less than you had been eating.

One also needs the deficit to be significant enough to see results. 500 calorie a day deficit is needed to lose up to 1 pound per week.

If someone is losing fat slower than that it will be hard to mentally stick with it, as most people like to see results.

Most people also grossly over estimate how many calories they really need.

They over estimate how much muscle they have if they are male in many cases, and add a couple inches of height to the calculator, but in the end they are screwing themselves as the MATH does matter.

Some people do burn more or less calories than others, for genetic reasons sure, but NOBODY can defy the laws of physics and thermodynamics.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #527
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

^^^
Well said Mike!

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #528
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Leg and shoulders day at the gym today.

Increased my maximum squat to 100Kg (220 pounds)
Mind you, I only managed 5 reps and I did not get as low as I usually do...

Edit:
Forgot to mention, my body weight is coming in at around 64Kg (140 pounds)
What I would give to be able to bench press 100Kg again... One day, maybe.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".

Last edited by RetrogradeOrbit; 03-06-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #529
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Even though I did Back and Bis yesterday, I think I will do concentration curls today because I'm trying to connive a scenario where a girl is in front of me and I'll just start loudly saying "1001, 1002, 1003, Oh it's a deep burn, oh it's so deep. I can barely move my arm 'cause I did so many. I'm not sure if you heard but I did over a thousand". I just have to do that and see what reaction I get. It might be getting kicked out for the day. Who knows? That's the fun.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #530
ComicChick
Carpe DIEM r.i.p.
SHH! Global Moderator

i'm into my third week of Les Mills Combat and i'm getting much better on my diet. i'm keeping track of the foods i'm eating more which i think is helping me. eating a lot more greens and salads for low calorie meals. adding diced chicken for protein yay

Old 03-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #531
Ant-manic
Banned User

my current workout

Chest (Monday - Wednesday - Friday)
50 dips (5 sets of 10 using body weight)
100 pushups (1 set of 50 + 2 sets of 25)
20 squat thrusts (I start and end the day with 20)
-----------
Biceps (Sunday - Tuesday - Thursday)
. seated preacher curls - 3 sets of 10 (110 lb bar)

. standing curls - 3 sets of 10 (50 lbs - I do this on Sunday and Thursday)

. heavy resistance bands - 3 sets of 50; alternating hand position (palms facing up, down, and towards you - I do this on Wednesday or whenever my arms are too sore to use free weights)
-----------
Triceps (Monday - Wednesday - Friday)
seated overhead tricep extensions - 3 sets of 10 (100 lbs - helps to have a spotter)
100 tricep dips - 4 sets of 25; alternating between wide and close grip - i use a 12 lb weight vest while doing them
------------
Abs
Lying leg raises (100 with ankle weights)
Jackknifes (100 with the same ankle weights you use for the lying leg raises)
^I, generally, alternate; 50 leg raises immediately followed by 50 jacknifes and repeat

Planks: assume the plank position for at least 2 minutes

Standard Sit-ups (arms outstretched above my head and/or elevated)
----
Serratus Anterior
. pullovers - i lay on my back but with a rolled up sleeping bag partially elevating my upper body off the ground - with my arms straight overhead i lift a 45 lb weight until it is at a 90 degree angle just above the chest (remember to keep your arms straight) - i then slowly lower the weight back to the ground - that's one full movement and i do it 60 times
----
run for at least 30 minutes every day
--
back

i use a stationary machine for the lower back 3 times a week
and i do at least 10 pullups every day (took me a little over a year but i can do it one-handed on either arm for a 10 count now)

5'10"
160 lbs
chest: 43" around
waist: 30
shoulder width: 19"
upper arm circumference: 15"

Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #532
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicChick View Post
i'm into my third week of Les Mills Combat and i'm getting much better on my diet. i'm keeping track of the foods i'm eating more which i think is helping me. eating a lot more greens and salads for low calorie meals. adding diced chicken for protein yay

how many meals would you say that you eat?

Old 03-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #533
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Even though I did Back and Bis yesterday, I think I will do concentration curls today because I'm trying to connive a scenario where a girl is in front of me and I'll just start loudly saying "1001, 1002, 1003, Oh it's a deep burn, oh it's so deep. I can barely move my arm 'cause I did so many. I'm not sure if you heard but I did over a thousand". I just have to do that and see what reaction I get. It might be getting kicked out for the day. Who knows? That's the fun.
don't be that guy. grunters and people that shout out their reps are universally hated.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #534
ComicChick
Carpe DIEM r.i.p.
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
how many meals would you say that you eat?
3 with snacks in between

Old 03-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #535
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Had a weigh in today...

Numbers in brackets are from my last weigh-in about three weeks ago.

Edit: Might help if I put in my height: 5' 5"

Weight: 138.8 pounds (141.8)
BMI: 23.8 (24.2)
Body fat: 16.6% (16.9)
Muscle: 40.2% (40.2)
Visceral fat: 8% (8)
BMR: 1518 calories (1538)

All I want is for the fat percentage to go down and the muscle to go up!
Things are slowly headed in the right direction though...

Last edited by RetrogradeOrbit; 03-08-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #536
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
my current workout

Chest (Monday - Wednesday - Friday)
50 dips (5 sets of 10 using body weight)
100 pushups (1 set of 50 + 2 sets of 25)
20 squat thrusts (I start and end the day with 20)
-----------
Biceps (Sunday - Tuesday - Thursday)
. seated preacher curls - 3 sets of 10 (110 lb bar)

. standing curls - 3 sets of 10 (50 lbs - I do this on Sunday and Thursday)

. heavy resistance bands - 3 sets of 50; alternating hand position (palms facing up, down, and towards you - I do this on Wednesday or whenever my arms are too sore to use free weights)
-----------
Triceps (Monday - Wednesday - Friday)
seated overhead tricep extensions - 3 sets of 10 (100 lbs - helps to have a spotter)
100 tricep dips - 4 sets of 25; alternating between wide and close grip - i use a 12 lb weight vest while doing them
------------
Abs
Lying leg raises (100 with ankle weights)
Jackknifes (100 with the same ankle weights you use for the lying leg raises)
^I, generally, alternate; 50 leg raises immediately followed by 50 jacknifes and repeat

Planks: assume the plank position for at least 2 minutes

Standard Sit-ups (arms outstretched above my head and/or elevated)
----
Serratus Anterior
. pullovers - i lay on my back but with a rolled up sleeping bag partially elevating my upper body off the ground - with my arms straight overhead i lift a 45 lb weight until it is at a 90 degree angle just above the chest (remember to keep your arms straight) - i then slowly lower the weight back to the ground - that's one full movement and i do it 60 times
----
run for at least 30 minutes every day
--
back

i use a stationary machine for the lower back 3 times a week
and i do at least 10 pullups every day (took me a little over a year but i can do it one-handed on either arm for a 10 count now)

5'10"
160 lbs
chest: 43" around
waist: 30
shoulder width: 19"
upper arm circumference: 15"

That is pretty impressive man. Well done!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #537
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

I've been focusing more on compound movements these days, which I think has been helping my appearance. My diet seems fine, I mostly am back to cooking most of my meals. I may try to bulk up a bit, but I think I just want to be *slightly* leaner than this...

This is a few weeks old too. I think there are some minor differences between then and now.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #538
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathlok View Post
Had a weigh in today...

Numbers in brackets are from my last weigh-in about three weeks ago.

Edit: Might help if I put in my height: 5' 5"

Weight: 138.8 pounds (141.8)
BMI: 23.8 (24.2)
Body fat: 16.6% (16.9)
Muscle: 40.2% (40.2)
Visceral fat: 8% (8)
BMR: 1518 calories (1538)

All I want is for the fat percentage to go down and the muscle to go up!
Things are slowly headed in the right direction though...
that's pretty much my goal. but i'm mainly after well-defined muscle, at this point. i get bulky very easily. so i've had to limit my calorie intake and increase my cardio (i run longer and take shorter breaks inbetween weight exercises). i've never taken my BMI or anything; just go by how my abdominals and arms look. do you intake a lot of carbohydrates? unfortunately, i love breads and pasta. i've made a pact with myself to only eat them on Sunday (and that's only if i've met my workout goals for the week).

Old 03-09-2013, 04:44 AM   #539
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

^^^
I try to keep under my daily limits for fats and sugars, but go above for protein. Then try to keep near but not go over my carbs and calories.
I use myfitnesspal.com a lot!

Your Sunday pact sounds interesting...

Old 03-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #540
Godzilla2000
The Real Deal

Maybe this has something to do with a bout with a cold, upper respiratory infection and laryngitis but I am very discouraged. I have been watching my portions (Heck with the illness it's been mostly liquids and soft foods like pudding and cottage cheese.) and doing my best not to eat fattening foods. I walk to and from work as exercise, it's roughly a one mile distance one way I believe, because I have no resources for any other type of activity but it's radically clear that I am never going to be a single digit dress size. I have noticed waist shrinkage as my pants have been a bit loose, but not so much weight fluctuation. Is it possible that my body has more muscle to fat ratio and that I'm perfectly healthy even though I'm not what most people consider skinny? Most girls have smaller frames doing the exact same things I do, why am I finding it hard to reach the same level of smallness? Female hormones and their effect on the body especially when you're middle aged are so perplexing. It's interesting because my gut might shrink but my overall frame does not.

- Most offers are like a Happy Meal with a crappy toy inside, not really happy at all.

- The only way to fix things is through protection.

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 03-10-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #541
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

^^^
Without knowing anything more specific about your frame and build (not going to ask a lady that question either!) it is difficult to give advice which is, well, specific...

However, one thing which you absolutely need, in my opinion, if you want to tone up, are resistance exercises. This can be done quite cheaply. You can buy resistance bands which are quite inexpensive and allow you to work out a wide range of muscles. Pull up bars which you can fit to door frames. Tinned food cans which can be used for bicep and tricep exercises, or even large, like 2 litre, plastic water bottles.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #542
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

I find my frame to be very similar to that of Michael Fassbender. In fact we look very alike all around, including face and hairline, or so people tell me.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #543
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

While clearing out all the crap which had fallen down the back of my desk drawers (and stopping them from closing) I found a fitness sheet from the gym where I still attend today. The sheet is ten years old... !

What I found interesting is that I am 4 pounds lighter now than I was then. But even more interesting is that all the strength exercises I do now, I am lifting/pulling/pushing much more than I ever used to.
The only areas I need to improve on are my running times and stamina, what I did not remember is that back then I could belt out 2 mile runs in under 14 minutes...

Going to show it to my personal trainer. It might give him a chuckle.

Last edited by RetrogradeOrbit; 03-11-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #544
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
I find my frame to be very similar to that of Michael Fassbender. In fact we look very alike all around, including face and hairline, or so people tell me.
I also have the build of a celebrity, but mine's Anthony Anderson.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #545
ComicChick
Carpe DIEM r.i.p.
SHH! Global Moderator

i have the build of Mama June

Old 03-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #546
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2000 View Post
Maybe this has something to do with a bout with a cold, upper respiratory infection and laryngitis but I am very discouraged. I have been watching my portions (Heck with the illness it's been mostly liquids and soft foods like pudding and cottage cheese.) and doing my best not to eat fattening foods. I walk to and from work as exercise, it's roughly a one mile distance one way I believe, because I have no resources for any other type of activity but it's radically clear that I am never going to be a single digit dress size. I have noticed waist shrinkage as my pants have been a bit loose, but not so much weight fluctuation. Is it possible that my body has more muscle to fat ratio and that I'm perfectly healthy even though I'm not what most people consider skinny? Most girls have smaller frames doing the exact same things I do, why am I finding it hard to reach the same level of smallness? Female hormones and their effect on the body especially when you're middle aged are so perplexing. It's interesting because my gut might shrink but my overall frame does not.
To be fair, walking 2 miles is not that strenuous, unless it's uphill. My ankles were KILLING me after we hiked uphill 2 miles last week. And then we walked the 2 miles back, but at least it was downhill!

I have a friend who has a very stocky build. It's just what she is - she's short and stocky. She too will never be a single digit clothing size. She can road bike for 40 miles at a stretch and go snowboarding for a week straight. THAT is strenuous, and something I cannot do.

So if you can do what she does, forget about the scale or your clothing size. It really does not matter. You are obviously fit.

But to be honest, to walk leisurely 2 miles a day and think that you have more muscle than fat is kind of preposterous. Women don't build muscle as mass like guys do, and it's even more true if you don't have the frame for it. I can lift more than my body weight and my measurements have barely shifted from when I was a weakling. I just don't have the frame for it. My muscle fibers have merely gotten more dense and efficient, but they have not gotten bigger.

The most important thing is to be fit. Keep walking, and add hiking to the mix if you want a little variety.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #547
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

My first day Wendler, SQUATS

150 kg one max rep (actually I can do 2 but better on the safe side I figured)

5 times 100kg
5 times 112,5kg
5 times 127,5kg

To finish it I did some reps with 120 kg 6 and 6 and 4 reps with 125 kg.

Feels great not maxing out.

Skipping benching though for a few weeks due to shoulderpain, substitutes will be standing shoulderpresses.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #548
ComicChick
Carpe DIEM r.i.p.
SHH! Global Moderator

i'm officially on week 4 of Les Mills Combat.

I haven't noticed too much difference in weight, but I kinda blame my lack of discipline with food on that, but I have noticed a big improvement in balance and flexibility. i can now front kick shoulder height easily (i'm 5'7) and possibly even higher

Old 03-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #549
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

was able to close-grip 235 today

Old 03-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #550
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblepot View Post
My first day Wendler, SQUATS

150 kg one max rep (actually I can do 2 but better on the safe side I figured)

5 times 100kg
5 times 112,5kg
5 times 127,5kg

To finish it I did some reps with 120 kg 6 and 6 and 4 reps with 125 kg.

Feels great not maxing out.

Skipping benching though for a few weeks due to shoulderpain, substitutes will be standing shoulderpresses.
That`s pretty impressive...

I had a minor achievement last night on the treadmill. Managed to do my fastest 1 mile run for ten years. 6 minutes and 35 seconds, works out at around 9.1 mph.
Going to try for just under 6.5 minutes next time. I just hope I don't throw up!

Closed Thread