The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #76
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!
 
mrvlknight21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 6,299
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
So from what you're getting at, you only get stronger in the things you work at, and that doesn't necessarily translate to the real world? (Max bench press vs being able to lift boxes all day.)

Well, I suppose then you'd have to tailor your workout to what you want to be able to do in the real world....

Not exactly.
But there are several types of strength. Doing lots and lots of pushups is strength endurance. Being able to complete 100 straight pushups does not mean that you can bench press twice your bodyweight for a single rep (maximal strength).

Please dont misunderstand, there are people out there that can accomplish both of these, but typically they are well conditioned athletes who have trained in multiple styles for a period of time. Personal experience here, I dont prefer strength endurance work and my numbers reflect that. There is another instructor at my martial arts gym that can do twice as many pushups as me (currently) and he does not lift weights. So, when we visited Gold's Gym, he was benching 90 pounds less than me. My maximal strength was better than his, but his strength endurance was better than mine.

Obviously almost ANY form of exercise SHOULD help you perform day to day activities, but thats is going to depend on certain factors as well. There are plenty of "general fitness" programs out there that can help someone who is weak in several areas improve them all. And one area does not always suffer as another improves, this is only the case some of the time.

Bottom line, train for YOUR goals. Whether you want to do 25 pullups and 100 pushups or bench press 500 pounds or run a marathon or dunk a basketball, find a program tailored to that goal and follow it.

__________________
What are your goals?

Last edited by mrvlknight21; 09-10-2012 at 02:23 PM.
mrvlknight21 is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #77
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!
 
Manic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 35,552
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

I took a week off from the gym last week, but I continued to do bodyweight exercises sporadically.

I did my back workout today, and I was shocked to find out I could crank out a few more reps on most of my exercises than I could 2 weeks ago.

Manic is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #78
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!
 
mrvlknight21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 6,299
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
I took a week off from the gym last week, but I continued to do bodyweight exercises sporadically.

I did my back workout today, and I was shocked to find out I could crank out a few more reps on most of my exercises than I could 2 weeks ago.
A lot of people incorporate "back off weeks" from their strength program once every 4-8 weeks and find that when they come back they feel refreshed and can do more. It a part of a proper program plan.
One of the main programs and sources that I follow is Ross Enamait at Rosstraining.com and he includes a back off strength workouts in his program (speaking specifically of Infinite Intensity program at the moment, which is my personal favorite).
Heck, even P90X uses a back off week.

For those who dont know Ross Enamait, see these compilation videos:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:



VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

That said, that is likely why you were able to gain a few reps during the less strenuous week of bodyweight work.

__________________
What are your goals?
mrvlknight21 is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #79
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face
 
Lunar_Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 40,617
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Took up yoga saturday. Damn it's not easy!

Lunar_Wolf is offline  
Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #80
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick
 
AndrewGilkison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,508
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Wolf View Post
Took up yoga saturday. Damn it's not easy!
P90X has a Yoga routine in it, so I know what you mean.

AndrewGilkison is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #81
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,269
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvlknight21 View Post
A lot of people incorporate "back off weeks" from their strength program once every 4-8 weeks and find that when they come back they feel refreshed and can do more. It a part of a proper program plan.
One of the main programs and sources that I follow is Ross Enamait at Rosstraining.com and he includes a back off strength workouts in his program (speaking specifically of Infinite Intensity program at the moment, which is my personal favorite).
Heck, even P90X uses a back off week.

For those who dont know Ross Enamait, see these compilation videos:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:



VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

That said, that is likely why you were able to gain a few reps during the less strenuous week of bodyweight work.

I really like Ross, he is the reason why I started taking bodyweight strength work seriously which in turn had me take up gymnastic strength work, which I love.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is online now  
Old 09-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #82
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!
 
mrvlknight21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 6,299
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
I really like Ross, he is the reason why I started taking bodyweight strength work seriously which in turn had me take up gymnastic strength work, which I love.
Good call on both. Ive been following him since he had the old warriorforce website. Im actually a mod over at his current website.

He ALWAYS puts out HIGH quality information/programs for pennies on the dollar. By the way, he is making a sandbag training dvd/manual that will be available this month.

__________________
What are your goals?

Last edited by mrvlknight21; 09-11-2012 at 08:09 AM.
mrvlknight21 is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #83
baby_webhead
Straight Edge
 
baby_webhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,684
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Had a good day at the gym. Im seriously worked biceps and shoulders simply because I hate doing those. I figured the reason I hate doing them is because I'm weak in those areas, so I have to build them up. It also helped that I had a bad night last night so I took my frustrations out on the weights :P

Just out of curiosity, what do you listen to while working out? hehe

__________________
"Everybody wants to call me the Triple H of Ring of Honor, I think thatís hilarious. I would prefer to call Triple H the CM Punk of the WWE"
baby_webhead is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #84
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung
 
Colossal Spoons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: A bar on Oa
Posts: 62,281
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Metal. Every time.

__________________
Once you get over the need to prove everybody wrong and "correct" opinions you disagree with, the internet becomes a much more pleasant and less frustrating place.
Colossal Spoons is offline  
Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #85
Canadian Rider
Fear nothing
 
Canadian Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,475
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

I enjoy a mix of tunes ... I have a playlist of songs that are all upbeat and help me sling some steel ... I find that it is mostly Rock and songs that meant something to me at some point so that when I hear them they get me stoked. Oh. and.

SPOONS! This has been a most disappointing return to the Hype board until I saw your name ... how you doin'? So many good memories of back in the day lad. and Mammaries. Damn that was funny.

__________________
Anti-social tendencies don't mix well with the internet and message boards ...
Canadian Rider is offline  
Old 09-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #86
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,269
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvlknight21 View Post
Good call on both. Ive been following him since he had the old warriorforce website. Im actually a mod over at his current website.

He ALWAYS puts out HIGH quality information/programs for pennies on the dollar. By the way, he is making a sandbag training dvd/manual that will be available this month.

That's cool. My first encounter with him was his 'Underground guide to warrior fitness' a few years back.
Ah, that sounds interesting, might just have to take a look.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is online now  
Old 09-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #87
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung
 
Colossal Spoons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: A bar on Oa
Posts: 62,281
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Rider View Post
SPOONS! This has been a most disappointing return to the Hype board until I saw your name ... how you doin'? So many good memories of back in the day lad. and Mammaries. Damn that was funny.
I'm good dude, good to see you posting again. You won't see too many familiar faces around here anymore

__________________
Once you get over the need to prove everybody wrong and "correct" opinions you disagree with, the internet becomes a much more pleasant and less frustrating place.
Colossal Spoons is offline  
Old 09-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #88
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!
 
Manic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 35,552
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

I have a wide mix of rock, rap, and pop on my iPod. Anything with a fast tempo. I play podcasts and scripted radio shows when I'm running so I can let my mind wander instead of concentrating on how long I've been running (I run better that way).

Manic is offline  
Old 09-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #89
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 3,269
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

I usually don't listen to any music while I workout, but if I do, it's mostly rock or electronic music. Something with a bit of a tempo.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is online now  
Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #90
theShape
Creature of Darkness
 
theShape's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Inside your mind.
Posts: 10,906
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

House music for workouts all the way.

__________________
Past the point of no return...
theShape is offline  
Old 09-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #91
baby_webhead
Straight Edge
 
baby_webhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,684
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

I just tried listening to a podcast at the gym today. Its more entertaining, but doesn't give you the adrenaline rush push. But i need to mix things up so this is a welcome change.

__________________
"Everybody wants to call me the Triple H of Ring of Honor, I think thatís hilarious. I would prefer to call Triple H the CM Punk of the WWE"
baby_webhead is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #92
ComicChick
Guardin' the Galaxy Yall!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
ComicChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The Kitchen, Yall
Posts: 51,120
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

i need to work on a good playlist for the gym. i like a lot of different kinds of music so i need to pick some stuff to keep my tempo up

__________________
"How did I survive apocalyptic fire? I simply refused to feel the flames.Ē

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
ComicChick is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #93
Holiday
'Bout that action
 
Holiday's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,918
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Last few times I worked out it was to some Dipset instrumentals.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Holiday is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #94
baby_webhead
Straight Edge
 
baby_webhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,684
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicChick View Post
i need to work on a good playlist for the gym. i like a lot of different kinds of music so i need to pick some stuff to keep my tempo up
You could come up with different sets of play lists of each genre. That way you don't get bored of your music

__________________
"Everybody wants to call me the Triple H of Ring of Honor, I think thatís hilarious. I would prefer to call Triple H the CM Punk of the WWE"
baby_webhead is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #95
ComicChick
Guardin' the Galaxy Yall!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
ComicChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The Kitchen, Yall
Posts: 51,120
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_webhead View Post
You could come up with different sets of play lists of each genre. That way you don't get bored of your music
that's a good idea. i was thinking of throwing everything in a playlist that gets me pumped and set it to shuffle so it's a different surprise every time and never the same order

__________________
"How did I survive apocalyptic fire? I simply refused to feel the flames.Ē

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
ComicChick is offline  
Old 09-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #96
baby_webhead
Straight Edge
 
baby_webhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,684
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicChick View Post
that's a good idea. i was thinking of throwing everything in a playlist that gets me pumped and set it to shuffle so it's a different surprise every time and never the same order
I have that...but after listening to it for the 10 billionth time it gets boring.

__________________
"Everybody wants to call me the Triple H of Ring of Honor, I think thatís hilarious. I would prefer to call Triple H the CM Punk of the WWE"
baby_webhead is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #97
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!
 
mrvlknight21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 6,299
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Re music for workouts:
I always start with "Walk" by Pantera. Thats all I need, the rest can be Kelly Clarkson for all I care.

__________________
What are your goals?
mrvlknight21 is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #98
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!
 
mrvlknight21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 6,299
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
That's cool. My first encounter with him was his 'Underground guide to warrior fitness' a few years back.
Ah, that sounds interesting, might just have to take a look.
I have that book as well and it is still a solid source of information, but, as you probably know, his current stuff blows that away. Infinite Intensity is my personal favorite.

I already bought the new sandbag dvd, it should be here in a couple of days.

__________________
What are your goals?
mrvlknight21 is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #99
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face
 
Lunar_Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Dublin
Posts: 40,617
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGilkison View Post
P90X has a Yoga routine in it, so I know what you mean.
This week I even found it harder because I've not take up swimming and doing weights/cardio.

Hoping to get from 168 to 154.

Lunar_Wolf is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #100
TheGuy
Side-Kick
 
TheGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 673
Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Just got back to workout. Feels good.

TheGuy is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.