Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #76
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
So from what you're getting at, you only get stronger in the things you work at, and that doesn't necessarily translate to the real world? (Max bench press vs being able to lift boxes all day.)

Well, I suppose then you'd have to tailor your workout to what you want to be able to do in the real world....

Not exactly.
But there are several types of strength. Doing lots and lots of pushups is strength endurance. Being able to complete 100 straight pushups does not mean that you can bench press twice your bodyweight for a single rep (maximal strength).

Please dont misunderstand, there are people out there that can accomplish both of these, but typically they are well conditioned athletes who have trained in multiple styles for a period of time. Personal experience here, I dont prefer strength endurance work and my numbers reflect that. There is another instructor at my martial arts gym that can do twice as many pushups as me (currently) and he does not lift weights. So, when we visited Gold's Gym, he was benching 90 pounds less than me. My maximal strength was better than his, but his strength endurance was better than mine.

Obviously almost ANY form of exercise SHOULD help you perform day to day activities, but thats is going to depend on certain factors as well. There are plenty of "general fitness" programs out there that can help someone who is weak in several areas improve them all. And one area does not always suffer as another improves, this is only the case some of the time.

Bottom line, train for YOUR goals. Whether you want to do 25 pullups and 100 pushups or bench press 500 pounds or run a marathon or dunk a basketball, find a program tailored to that goal and follow it.

Last edited by mrvlknight21; 09-10-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #77
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

I took a week off from the gym last week, but I continued to do bodyweight exercises sporadically.

I did my back workout today, and I was shocked to find out I could crank out a few more reps on most of my exercises than I could 2 weeks ago.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #78
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
I took a week off from the gym last week, but I continued to do bodyweight exercises sporadically.

I did my back workout today, and I was shocked to find out I could crank out a few more reps on most of my exercises than I could 2 weeks ago.
A lot of people incorporate "back off weeks" from their strength program once every 4-8 weeks and find that when they come back they feel refreshed and can do more. It a part of a proper program plan.
One of the main programs and sources that I follow is Ross Enamait at Rosstraining.com and he includes a back off strength workouts in his program (speaking specifically of Infinite Intensity program at the moment, which is my personal favorite).
Heck, even P90X uses a back off week.

For those who dont know Ross Enamait, see these compilation videos:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

That said, that is likely why you were able to gain a few reps during the less strenuous week of bodyweight work.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #79
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Took up yoga saturday. Damn it's not easy!

Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #80
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Wolf View Post
Took up yoga saturday. Damn it's not easy!
P90X has a Yoga routine in it, so I know what you mean.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #81
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvlknight21 View Post
A lot of people incorporate "back off weeks" from their strength program once every 4-8 weeks and find that when they come back they feel refreshed and can do more. It a part of a proper program plan.
One of the main programs and sources that I follow is Ross Enamait at Rosstraining.com and he includes a back off strength workouts in his program (speaking specifically of Infinite Intensity program at the moment, which is my personal favorite).
Heck, even P90X uses a back off week.

For those who dont know Ross Enamait, see these compilation videos:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

That said, that is likely why you were able to gain a few reps during the less strenuous week of bodyweight work.

I really like Ross, he is the reason why I started taking bodyweight strength work seriously which in turn had me take up gymnastic strength work, which I love.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 09-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #82
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
I really like Ross, he is the reason why I started taking bodyweight strength work seriously which in turn had me take up gymnastic strength work, which I love.
Good call on both. Ive been following him since he had the old warriorforce website. Im actually a mod over at his current website.

He ALWAYS puts out HIGH quality information/programs for pennies on the dollar. By the way, he is making a sandbag training dvd/manual that will be available this month.

Last edited by mrvlknight21; 09-11-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #83
baby_webhead
Straight Edge

Had a good day at the gym. Im seriously worked biceps and shoulders simply because I hate doing those. I figured the reason I hate doing them is because I'm weak in those areas, so I have to build them up. It also helped that I had a bad night last night so I took my frustrations out on the weights :P

Just out of curiosity, what do you listen to while working out? hehe

Old 09-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #84
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Metal. Every time.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #85
Canadian Rider
Fear nothing

I enjoy a mix of tunes ... I have a playlist of songs that are all upbeat and help me sling some steel ... I find that it is mostly Rock and songs that meant something to me at some point so that when I hear them they get me stoked. Oh. and.

SPOONS! This has been a most disappointing return to the Hype board until I saw your name ... how you doin'? So many good memories of back in the day lad. and Mammaries. Damn that was funny.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #86
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvlknight21 View Post
Good call on both. Ive been following him since he had the old warriorforce website. Im actually a mod over at his current website.

He ALWAYS puts out HIGH quality information/programs for pennies on the dollar. By the way, he is making a sandbag training dvd/manual that will be available this month.

That's cool. My first encounter with him was his 'Underground guide to warrior fitness' a few years back.
Ah, that sounds interesting, might just have to take a look.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 09-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #87
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Rider View Post
SPOONS! This has been a most disappointing return to the Hype board until I saw your name ... how you doin'? So many good memories of back in the day lad. and Mammaries. Damn that was funny.
I'm good dude, good to see you posting again. You won't see too many familiar faces around here anymore

Old 09-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #88
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

I have a wide mix of rock, rap, and pop on my iPod. Anything with a fast tempo. I play podcasts and scripted radio shows when I'm running so I can let my mind wander instead of concentrating on how long I've been running (I run better that way).

Old 09-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #89
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

I usually don't listen to any music while I workout, but if I do, it's mostly rock or electronic music. Something with a bit of a tempo.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #90
theShape
Creature of Darkness

House music for workouts all the way.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #91
baby_webhead
Straight Edge

I just tried listening to a podcast at the gym today. Its more entertaining, but doesn't give you the adrenaline rush push. But i need to mix things up so this is a welcome change.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #92
ComicChick
Guardin' the Galaxy Yall!
SHH! Global Moderator

i need to work on a good playlist for the gym. i like a lot of different kinds of music so i need to pick some stuff to keep my tempo up

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
Old 09-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #93
Holiday
'Bout that action

Last few times I worked out it was to some Dipset instrumentals.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 09-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #94
baby_webhead
Straight Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicChick View Post
i need to work on a good playlist for the gym. i like a lot of different kinds of music so i need to pick some stuff to keep my tempo up
You could come up with different sets of play lists of each genre. That way you don't get bored of your music

Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #95
ComicChick
Guardin' the Galaxy Yall!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_webhead View Post
You could come up with different sets of play lists of each genre. That way you don't get bored of your music
that's a good idea. i was thinking of throwing everything in a playlist that gets me pumped and set it to shuffle so it's a different surprise every time and never the same order

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
Old 09-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #96
baby_webhead
Straight Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicChick View Post
that's a good idea. i was thinking of throwing everything in a playlist that gets me pumped and set it to shuffle so it's a different surprise every time and never the same order
I have that...but after listening to it for the 10 billionth time it gets boring.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #97
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Re music for workouts:
I always start with "Walk" by Pantera. Thats all I need, the rest can be Kelly Clarkson for all I care.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #98
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
That's cool. My first encounter with him was his 'Underground guide to warrior fitness' a few years back.
Ah, that sounds interesting, might just have to take a look.
I have that book as well and it is still a solid source of information, but, as you probably know, his current stuff blows that away. Infinite Intensity is my personal favorite.

I already bought the new sandbag dvd, it should be here in a couple of days.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #99
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGilkison View Post
P90X has a Yoga routine in it, so I know what you mean.
This week I even found it harder because I've not take up swimming and doing weights/cardio.

Hoping to get from 168 to 154.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #100
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Just got back to workout. Feels good.

Closed Thread