The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #101
ComicChick
refuse to feel the flames
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: The Official Hype Fitness Thread 6.0

anyone have any good motivation posters or something that keeps them motivated? need a new phone wallpaper lol

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
Old 09-19-2012, 12:42 AM   #102
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicChick View Post
anyone have any good motivation posters or something that keeps them motivated? need a new phone wallpaper lol
Depends on what's motivating you in the first place.

I like weightlifting because it makes me feel strong. As a very thin woman reminded since childhood that I am weak (and NEVER to forget it EVER), being strong instead is a very attractive feeling.

But I understand that it's a fairly unusual motivational approach compared to most people.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #103
ComicChick
refuse to feel the flames
SHH! Global Moderator

i just need something that when i see it, i will hear Spoons in my head yelling "Do work!"

edit: Maybe i just need a pic of Spoons looking like he's screaming at me and photoshop Do Work on the bottom lol

I drawl, and I drawl. My Art Thread yall
Old 09-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #104
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

Been working out like a beats last few months. Squatting and Deadlifting is paying off.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #105
IronFist
Side-Kick

Here are some tips for those that are interested. For weight loss you must make sure to have a good diet. Good diet is better than taking weight loss pills. It means cut on sugar, red meat, salad dressings with a lot of mayo (like ranch)... Example of what you can do:
Breakfast:
Oatmeal with fruits (blueberry would be the best)

Lunch:
Chicken breast (you can eat it with salad, rice or even potato if you want. Cut on sauces. All sauces have a lot of sugar)

Dinner:
Cereal with fruits (strawberry, blueberry... whatever)

Your snacks can include fruits, nuts (unsalted the best), protein bars... You must know that good diet is only a part of the weight loss. You actually must do something to lose weight. Your best friends are running and swimming but I'll talk about this in my other post.

The following is my everyday diet that gets modified from time to time so I don't get bored with eating the same.

Breakfast:
2 packets of oatmeal with 2 slices of cheese and 1/2 cup of egg whites

Snacks between breakfast and lunch:
1.Protein bar
2.One glass of protein shake
3.Fruit Shake (one cup of almond milk with 2 bananas, 10 strawberries and some honey) -- I'd suggest avoiding this if you don't workout a lot. This shake has a lot of sugar. Most of it is "good" sugar but it is still sugar.

Lunch:
Chicken breast (with either pasta, rice, potato or veggies...depend on a day)

Dinner:
Cereal with blueberries, raspberries and a hint of honey

As you can see, I eat most of my food before 4-5 PM. don't drink dairy. I only drink almond milk. I usually workout around noon so breakfast gives me good combo of protein and calories for workouts. Post workout has a lot of proteins.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:15 PM   #106
IronFist
Side-Kick

This post is about working out. I work out 5 times a week. I swim twice, do plyometrics and running once, and workout in the gym twice. I must say this, swimming is by far one of the best things you can do for your overall body health and performance. It enhances your lung capacity and builds overall body capacity.

It is fair to suggest today that traditional weightlifting (just bench, biceps, triceps, etc...) is not going to help your body lose weight and gain overall strength as circuit training. Traditional weightlifting is static and many exercises concentrate on one or few muscles. Build yourself a polygon of exercises that you will perform without taking a break. That will increase your heart rate, raise body temperature (two most important things for weight loss) and increase your overall body strength. You won't look like a bodybuilder but you don't need to.

I use a power warm up for the following polygon. I do 50 reps without break for my lower back on machine, 10 dealift pull ups with 10 dips (both without break), and about 150 sit ups for abs on machine (it is easier and it's warm up after all).

Example of polygon(do not use heavy weights. Use very light weights at the beginning):
1. deadlift... when you finish the lift...
2. bent over rows... when you finish with row...
3. full snatch... lower the bar and rest it on your shoulders behind your head...
4. Lunges...
5. Squats... then lift the weight...
6. Military press above your head...
7. Lower the weight and remain in standing position

This exercise is for advance workouts. If you have never done some of these lifts do them separately with an empty bar so you can learn proper execution. This exercise is a full body exercise that will make your lower back, shoulders, and forearms scream for mercy. Repetition (number of squats, deadlifts, etc...) will depend on amount of weight and your overall conditioning. Once you master this exercise you will see increase of strength and capacity of your body. You will se Colorado river making a Grand Canyon in your lower back. You will straighten your posture as a result of this.

The above exercise in my case would look like this:
With 40kg (88 pounds) - 6 repetitions of each exercise before going to the next.
With 60kg (132 pounds) - 3 reps of each before going to the next

If after this your heart rate is not over 130 you're not human. Exercises you must do in gym before hitting biceps, triceps and all of the hyped machines are pull outs (dead lift pull outs), deadlift, bent over rows and squats.

Cardio
Before reading and attempting these make sure you have a healthy heart.

I don't care what your doctor says but if you don't lift your heart rate above 120 you might as well stay home and watch TV. Walking, jogging hiking... if your heart rate is below 120... it's not going to do anything. What will do is the sun and heat that will raise your body temperature but you can do that by turning off your AC at home.

Example of my plyometric cardio training:
It is again, set of exercises performed without taking a break. My heart rate after these is above 170 but lower than 180.

First set:
1. Ten 21 inch vertical jumps
2. Ten medicine ball squats
3. Ten 15 yard sprints
4. Repeat 1-3, 3 times.

Once my heart rate goes around 120 a minute (it takes a few minutes, I'll tell you that)
Second set:
1. 20 second speed skip (place palms on the wall at your shoulder height, lean body 45%, perform speed exercise for 20 secs lifting knees closely to your chest)
2. Ten 21 inches vertical jumps
3. Ten 15 yard sprints
4. Repeat 1-3, 2 times

Third set:
10 minute run on treadmill (from minute 8 fast run, last minute full sprint)

Old 09-22-2012, 03:28 AM   #107
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

Ironfist, great post but imo you do way to much if you want to gain muscle as fast as possible. Working out hard en heavy with the big compound lifts and then rest is the most important ingredient after your meal plan.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:03 AM   #108
TheGuy
Side-Kick

That's incredible, Cobblepot. Perhaps next year I might reach your level of physique. How much do you DL and squat?

Old 09-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #109
Mandalore464
New User

Edit : Deleted

Last edited by Mandalore464; 10-18-2012 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #110
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by comics View Post
That's incredible, Cobblepot. Perhaps next year I might reach your level of physique. How much do you DL and squat?
I've been doing Deadlifts since june (so 4months now) and I'm up to 265lbs with 3 sets of 6 reps.

Same goes for the squat I'm currently stuck around 220 and 245lbs depends on how much sleep I got due to my two kids. But i like to do 4 sets of squats.

My routine now is like the following 3 days a week one day rest in between, almost one hour in the gym.

4x6 squat
3x6 deadlift
I alternate workouts between benchpress and standing press, also 3x6
3x6 pullups with added weight (44lbs so total incl. bodyweight = 242lbs)
3x12/8/6 dips with added 44lbs
Then I finish off with powershrugs 265lbs, alternate with dumbbellshrugs every week, when I feel to tired I forget about these.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #111
IronFist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblepot View Post
Ironfist, great post but imo you do way to much if you want to gain muscle as fast as possible. Working out hard en heavy with the big compound lifts and then rest is the most important ingredient after your meal plan.

I know and agree with you. The post was not for bodybuilding. My post was mostly for those wanting to loose some extra weight while increasing their current body potential.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #112
IronFist
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblepot View Post
I've been doing Deadlifts since june (so 4months now) and I'm up to 265lbs with 3 sets of 6 reps.

Same goes for the squat I'm currently stuck around 220 and 245lbs depends on how much sleep I got due to my two kids. But i like to do 4 sets of squats.

When I was in college and doing the max weights I deadlift 130KGs (286 pounds) I was doing 5 sets of deadlift with 8-10 reps with lower weights and 6-8 reps with higher. I honestly thought I could've deadlifted more but my fingers at that time couldn't hold such weight for a long time. At same time I squat 180KGs (396 pounds), 3 sets of 10 reps. I weighted about 75kg (165 pounds).

Currently I weight around 88KGs (194 pounds) but I haven't done any max strength training in a long long time. I prefer circuit training and swimming.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #113
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing

Impressive strenght IronFist, It'll take me a while to get to those kind of weights. Weird though that your deadlift is "weaker" then squat.
How tall are you? (I'am 183cm).

Did you have a coach? I've been doing this alone now for 4 months and I think that having some help wil def. get me their faster.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #114
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Found it weird too.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #115
IronFist
Side-Kick

I'm 177cm. My deadlift has always been weaker than squats.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #116
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

I started swimming and yoga which have been fantastic. Mostly doing cardio, ab workouts, then other days light weights with many reps.

My diet changed to this

Morning
Oatmeal(nuts, raisins, blueberries, cranberries and manuka honey, fruit, slice of cheese and green tea.

Other days it will be steak, chicken or eggs, sometimes with oatmeal, depends on how much meat I eat. I try make breakfast a huge meal.

Go workout

Lunch
Something with protein, eggs, sometimes duck eggs, or chicken or other meat that I've put away the night before, fruit and handful of peanuts.

Dinner
Lots of veg and meat

I stop eating after 7pm. If I get hungry I'll eat fruit.
I want to lower weight and gain some definition

Old 09-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #117
Sun_Down
Groovy

Sup ya'll. Long time, no post.

I've been in a cutting phase, but with fall upon us it's time to BULK. Here's my week one routine, any thoughts? I'm doing everything in sets of 3, with reps from 6-10. I end with various ab stuff.

Day 1 - Chest/triceps
Barbell bench
Dumbbell incline
Dumbbell flys
Close grip bench
Dips
Machine tricep pulldowns

Day 2 - Rest

Day 3 - Legs/Shoulders
Squats
Calf raises
Machine hamstring extension
Barbell military press
Dumbbell lateral raises
Dumbbell shrugs

Day 4 - Rest

Day 5 - Back/biceps
Barbell curls
Reverse grip curls
Forearm curls
Deadlifts
Straight leg deads
Barbell rows

I think I'm hitting most the big compound lifts. I'll work pullups in on upcoming back days. Should I be adding more? And obviously I'm eating plenty of protein. I don't really do supplements (mostly bc I don't know what, if anything, works).

Old 09-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #118
TheGuy
Side-Kick

My squats have lagged, unfortunately. I'm having trouble breaking plateaus. If I can't complete 5x5 this Wednesday, I will deload. I've stalled once in the deadlifts but broke through it yesterday.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #119
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Down View Post
Sup ya'll. Long time, no post.

I've been in a cutting phase, but with fall upon us it's time to BULK. Here's my week one routine, any thoughts? I'm doing everything in sets of 3, with reps from 6-10. I end with various ab stuff.

Day 1 - Chest/triceps
Barbell bench
Dumbbell incline
Dumbbell flys
Close grip bench
Dips
Machine tricep pulldowns

Day 2 - Rest

Day 3 - Legs/Shoulders
Squats
Calf raises
Machine hamstring extension
Barbell military press
Dumbbell lateral raises
Dumbbell shrugs

Day 4 - Rest

Day 5 - Back/biceps
Barbell curls
Reverse grip curls
Forearm curls
Deadlifts
Straight leg deads
Barbell rows

I think I'm hitting most the big compound lifts. I'll work pullups in on upcoming back days. Should I be adding more? And obviously I'm eating plenty of protein. I don't really do supplements (mostly bc I don't know what, if anything, works).
The only thing I would say right off the top is on day 5 to start with deadlifts (assuming you have these in the order that you are planning to do them).

I recommend that you always start with your compound movements, then move on to accessory work/smaller muscle groups.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #120
Sun_Down
Groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvlknight21 View Post
The only thing I would say right off the top is on day 5 to start with deadlifts (assuming you have these in the order that you are planning to do them).

I recommend that you always start with your compound movements, then move on to accessory work/smaller muscle groups.
Yeah, I start with the compound lifts so I have maximum energy for them.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #121
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvlknight21 View Post
I have that book as well and it is still a solid source of information, but, as you probably know, his current stuff blows that away. Infinite Intensity is my personal favorite.

I already bought the new sandbag dvd, it should be here in a couple of days.
I checked out the trailer for the sandbag dvd, looks interesting and fun.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 09-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #122
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
I checked out the trailer for the sandbag dvd, looks interesting and fun.
I got it last week. As usual, its packed with information, training ideas and ways to mix things up.

On a related note, I picked up the Men's Health Deltafit Speed Shred Program and did the first workout last night, just to try it out. I really liked it and it seems like it will be a lot of fun.

Last edited by mrvlknight21; 09-27-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #123
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

I stumbled across this video after watching a funny infomercial. It may very well kill me, but I'm willing to take that chance.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 09-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #124
mrvlknight21
Pullups for breakfast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
I stumbled across this video after watching a funny infomercial. It may very well kill me, but I'm willing to take that chance.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Interval bodyweight training. Simple and effective. Plus there are burpees (although without the pushup I would argue that those are squat thrusts).

Enjoy!

Old 09-28-2012, 03:14 AM   #125
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I only watched a few minutes, cuz I couldn't stand the annoying voice-over, but interval training can be really fun and tough.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Closed Thread