The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #26
Travesty
TEOL

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 10

I've always wanted to see Doodlebug. I have no idea where or if I could.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #27
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Ta da!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WhKt_CkXD0

Old 08-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #28
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
Oh wow, when I heard it was a short, I thought it was going to be a 15-20 min movie.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #29
Homer J. Fong
Not a golem

Quote:
I never saw anything as assured as Following in my days as a film student. It's rough around the edges, it has its weak spots, but you can see that filmmaker underneath that has something to say, that has real ideas about how you construct a movie, that really knows how to speak the language of cinema and is already audacious enough to push at the conventions of storytelling without ever forgetting to actually tell a story. I see exactly why that little no budget movie got investors to put trust in Nolan and get his first "real" film made.

BATMAN FOREVER
SCENE BY SCENE
Old 08-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #30
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
You can stop right there. It just is. 95% of the people who went to the film school I attended had no real passion. The ones that did I thought were wasting their time. School or not, these people were going to make movies, come hell or high water. They were going to work three jobs and eat Ramen and fish sticks so they could buy film stock (yes, film stock. I was a member of perhaps the last generation of film students who actually had to shoot and cut on 16mm).

That 5% made me realize that I don't have it. I dropped out.
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I suspected.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #31
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
It always kind of amazes me how trivial attending film school is if you don't have that fire of true genius and creativity. There's so many of you dudes here who've gone and - no offense - its not like any of you are Roman Polanski in real life.
I went to film school not only to learn film but to enjoy the college experience, gain networking (which I have), and also get a minor (which may be in either marketing, psychology, or religion). Going to college for film school depends on how much you make it worth your while.

There have been great directors that have, and great directors who haven't gone to film school. I think it's a personal choice that can go either way no matter which choice you make. I feel like I have learned much about movies, and I do have much creativity to do whatever I want at Syracuse.

I also don't understand the comparison to Roman Polanski. Yes, everyone won't be Roman Polanski, but it's not like every businessman that comes out of Columbia is a Warren Buffet, and not every athlete that comes out of North Carolina is a Michael Jordan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I've always wanted to see Doodlebug. I have no idea where or if I could.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #32
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

Quote:

It's the same reason I like THX-1138 so much; The more limited your resources are, the more creative you're forced to become. And I dunno, I swear those films just burn with passion and intimacy that no big budget movie can ever quite capture.
I absolutely agree with this. I'm reading Robert Rodriguez's Rebel Without A Crew and it's amazing what he managed with almost no budget. Creativity, not money, makes a film great. A film can cost as much as $250 million and be complete devoid of any creativity, soul, or artistic merit. Most of the films I really, really love cost $10 million or less.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #33
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I went to film school not only to learn film but to enjoy the college experience, gain networking (which I have), and also get a minor (which may be in either marketing, psychology, or religion). Going to college for film school depends on how much you make it worth your while.

There have been great directors that have, and great directors who haven't gone to film school. I think it's a personal choice

I also don't understand the comparison to Roman Polanski. Yes, everyone won't be Roman Polanski, but it's not like every businessman that comes out of Columbia is a Warren Buffet, and not every athlete that comes out of North Carolina is a Michael Jordan.
Again, I wasn't criticizing. You don't have to explain your personal reasoning for going.

And my point - and my comparison to Polanski - was that it seems like the important thing to being a great filmmaker isn't really the technical training, but rather the person's own passion for it.

Which is different than most professions. I mean, I couldn't just say "hey, I have a passion for law, **** school, I'm going to become a lawyer on my own." That's impossible for careers such as that - but for film, it's a very real option.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #34
Homer J. Fong
Not a golem

Quote:
I never saw anything as assured as Following in my days as a film student. It's rough around the edges, it has its weak spots, but you can see that filmmaker underneath that has something to say, that has real ideas about how you construct a movie, that really knows how to speak the language of cinema and is already audacious enough to push at the conventions of storytelling without ever forgetting to actually tell a story. I see exactly why that little no budget movie got investors to put trust in Nolan and get his first "real" film made.

BATMAN FOREVER
SCENE BY SCENE
Old 08-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #35
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

He liked it so much he thumbed it twice.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #36
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

Quote:
This entire 3 minute short film is better than the entirety of TDKR, which kind of proves my point. If Nolan makes something smaller and a bit more personal, I think he'll have an opportunity to really breathe and shine. This big budgets romps he's doing are kind of exhausting. From TDK to Inception to TDKR I just kept wanting to tell the guy to scale it down a bit.

I really liked that Doodlebug short.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #37
Travesty
TEOL

That's either the most ultimate double post lag, or Homer really wants you to know he likes your post.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #38
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
This entire 3 minute short film is better than the entirety of TDKR, which kind of proves my point. If Nolan makes something smaller and a bit more personal, I think he'll have an opportunity to really breathe and shine. This big budgets romps he's doing are kind of exhausting. From TDK to Inception to TDKR I just kept wanting to tell the guy to scale it down a bit.

I really liked that Doodlebug short.
I wouldn't go that face, but I did like that more than Following.

Quote:
Again, I wasn't criticizing. You don't have to explain your personal reasoning for going.

And my point - and my comparison to Polanski - was that it seems like the important thing to being a great filmmaker isn't really the technical training, but rather the person's own passion for it.

Which is different than most professions. I mean, I couldn't just say "hey, I have a passion for law, **** school, I'm going to become a lawyer on my own." That's impossible for careers such as that - but for film, it's a very real option.
Ah. In that case, I definitely agree with you in that front. As I said, film school is what you make of it.

Quote:
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.

Last edited by Mrs. Sawyer; 08-13-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #39
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Doodlebug really doesn't impress me much. The Twlight Zone-ness of it is really cool, but I made a better short film in one afternoon with three friends and an empty house.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #40
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Here's what I'll say about film school in the year 2012: if you want that college experience, want that coming of age period, want to make some contacts, cool. But personally, I think you'd be better off spending that tuition money on gear. By a Zoom H4N, get a Macbook, get a Canon 5D and just start making movies. You're first movies will suck, but if you keep going you'll not only develop real skills but you'd also have the gear to make an acceptably professional product. You can spend less than 10 grand on gear that combined with real passion can get you into Cannes or Sundance. Take it from me, learning the theory and history of cinema from Netflix and DVD commentaries and watching a ****load of movies is just as useful as learning it from a bunch of burnout professors with a chip on their shoulder who never got anywhere. You're time spent actually shooting stuff, actually cutting it yourself, will teach you more about how to make movies than any Film 101 class ever will.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #41
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Here's what I'll say about film school in the year 2012: if you want that college experience, want that coming of age period, want to make some contacts, cool. But personally, I think you'd be better off spending that tuition money on gear. By a Zoom H4N, get a Macbook, get a Canon 5D and just start making movies. You're first movies will suck, but if you keep going you'll not only develop real skills but you'd also have the gear to make an acceptably professional product. You can spend less than 10 grand on gear that combined with real passion can get you into Cannes or Sundance. Take it from me, learning the theory and history of cinema from Netflix and DVD commentaries and watching a ****load of movies is just as useful as learning it from a bunch of burnout professors with a chip on their shoulder who never got anywhere. You're time spent actually shooting stuff, actually cutting it yourself, will teach you more about how to make movies than any Film 101 class ever will.
I think I love you.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #42
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Get a room you two.

Quote:
Old 08-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #43
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll watch a few Netflix movies tonight.

Quote:
Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #44
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

Quote:
Those are all really good points, and totally valid. I'm actually working my way towards film school right now (have another year or prerequisites to get out of the way), but in the meantime I'm also shooting, editing and making my own short films and sending them off to film festivals. No reason you can't do both.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #45
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think I love you.
I'd reciprocate, but my wife would kill me and throw my balls to the cats as play things.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #46
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
I absolutely agree with this. I'm reading Robert Rodriguez's Rebel Without A Crew and it's amazing what he managed with almost no budget. Creativity, not money, makes a film great. A film can cost as much as $250 million and be complete devoid of any creativity, soul, or artistic merit. Most of the films I really, really love cost $10 million or less.
I own and have read that book and it definitely is a pretty damn good read.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:04 AM   #47
brainchild81
Arachnid-Fellow

I like Batman '89 more than Batman Begins

See Black Dynamite

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Under your watch, 50% of marriages end in divorce &the other 50% in death!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:09 AM   #48
returntovoid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer J. Fong View Post
I recommend Memento to pretty much everyone.
I think Memento is the best Nolan film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainchild81 View Post
I like Batman '89 more than Batman Begins
Even, I prefer B89 over BB.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #49
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Quote:
no offense - its not like any of you are Roman Polanski in real life.
but wouldn't that be a good thing, considering that, in REAL life, Roman Polanski is a child rapist?

But back on topic, I still haven't seen Following or Insomnia. I kept meaning to see Insomnia when it came out, based on how much I loved Memento, but for some reason never did, then I just keep forgetting about it.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #50
Homer J. Fong
Not a golem

I really liked Insomnia, even if it is "minor Nolan."

BATMAN FOREVER
SCENE BY SCENE
Closed Thread