The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #676
James
Built from Lego

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 10

I felt TDKR was more about Bruce Wayne than Batman. That, along with a laundry list of other things, made sure I didn't enjoy the film.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #677
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

But Bruce Wayne and Batman are the same person.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #678
James
Built from Lego

Are they? That can't be...wait I...I...holy sh-

True, they are. But when I watch a Batman movie I want to see the cape and cowl more than I see Bruce Wayne.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #679
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

This is a very jerk thing for me to say, but that opinion always reminds me of something a child would say. Or, at least, what I thought as a kid.

As I came to really immerse myself in Batman as a character, I really began to appreciate him as who he is and what he represents more than the creepy costume and cool gadgets.

At the same time, I of course understand your opinion in a way, but that type of thing only disappoints me in a superficial and ultimately inconsequential way. It's only the story and character progression that make or break it for me in that respect.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #680
James
Built from Lego

No, I appreciate where you're coming from. I imagine it's kind of the same way hardcore Transformers fans feel. They might like to see character development and good story, where as the general audience just wants to see big robots smash each other.

When it comes to Batman, at least in film, I definitely fall into "general audience". I don't want to see a whole movie about Bruce Wayne dealing with this problem or that problem, I want to see him running around punching people. Of course that's not a requirement for every movie, I appreciate a good story and characters as much as anyone -I just feel, at least in the case of TDKR, that balance should have been better.

Last edited by James; 10-11-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #681
bullets
bang bang

I'm sure people would of complained if Bane never "broke" Batman. I wasn't to happy about Batman being retired at the start of the film but we did get to see plenty of him in action. There were two fights with Bane and him fighting alongside Catwoman was awesome.

Now that so many plot holes have been pointed out I'm afraid to watch TDKR again.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #682
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
True, they are. But when I watch a Batman movie I want to see the cape and cowl more than I see Bruce Wayne.
Then you must not have liked any Batman movie yet.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #683
Figs
Banned User

George Lucas is extremely overrated.

Had to put that in here since I didn't feel like getting into an argument on Facebook. Someone was talking about how they don't care for Quentin Tarantino and some fool responds with "QT is no George Lucas". That's right he's not GL, he actually makes way better films.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #684
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
George Lucas is extremely overrated.
I agree. I really love Star Wars and Indiana Jones, but those movies are best when they're filtered through someone a little more capable. I wouldn't place Lucas among the "greats" of film-making.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #685
Wesley Dodds
He Who Lurks...

Lucas is a little bit like Stan Lee. A great idea man and hugely influential in his field... but better off leaving the actual heavy to more capable people.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #686
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Agreed.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #687
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Then you must not have liked any Batman movie yet.

Actually I enjoyed Begins and DK just fine, but they had other things going for them too. Rises suffered from a long list of problems(not enough cape and cowl being among them) the bad ultimately outweighed the good for me.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #688
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

I liked X-Men: The Last Stand. Didn't totally LOVE it, but didn't hate it like other people on The Hype. I think my opinion is way more in line with most of the general audience on that one, as opposed to the "internet" crowd.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #689
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Of course, because the GA didn't give a s**t about Cyclops to begin with. The series really dropped the ball with Cyclops and Singer's decision to write and direct Superman Returns screwed over two franchises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #690
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

No, it was Fox's fault. They could've just waited a year and had Singer direct X3.

Cyclops still would've been screwed over, though. Singer screwed him over in both X1 and X2 already.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #691
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Both of you do speak the truth. I actually have always liked Cyclops, and that part of the story bugged the **** out of me, but I just decided to go along for the ride.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #692
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
No, it was Fox's fault. They could've just waited a year and had Singer direct X3.

Cyclops still would've been screwed over, though. Singer screwed him over in both X1 and X2 already.
It's pretty much both their faults. Fox doesn't have as much loyalty to their directors as other companies have, but at the same time deadlines have to be made.

The reason why Cyclops was killed off was because Marsden left with Singer to be in Superman Returns and Fox, pissed off about it, decided to kill his character off and give his parts to Wolverine. I believe Cyclops had a bigger role in X3's original script and wasn't killed off. In fact, both Cyclops and Jean would have been the focal point of the story*.

Quote:
“The one idea that I loved, that I really wanted to do, was that Cyclops would build the Danger Room. Cyclops felt guilty, he felt that because the X-Men were too weak, they weren’t strong enough, they weren’t fast enough, that was the reason Jean died. If they were a little bit better at fighting, then she might still be alive. It was all about this guilt he had about her death and so he built the Danger Room to train them to be better. But in the end it really was about him not being able to let go of her, so that causes all the chaos and disruption in the movie. But in the end it’s about him letting her go.”

“Ultimately she kind of becomes that cosmic force that Phoenix is known to be, she choose to leave Earth and become a god, or at least a higher level of intelligence, and she goes into the cosmos possibly to kick-start life somewhere else… The final scene for me would have been her telling Cyclops or her telling the X-Men ‘I’ll be watching.’ Essentially she becomes a god.”
That is, at least until Tom Rothman asks what's Wolverine doing this whole movie. To which Singer could have answered "Being a badass".

Quote:
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #693
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Singer always characterized Cyclops incorrectly, and never gave him a large enough role. He was always just an annoying pbsticles in Logan and Jean's love affair.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #694
Sloth7d
Escapist

Cyclops getting screwed over was the least of that movie's problems. Entire character arcs that serve no purpose to the story and aren't really developed anyway(Angel), Phoenix being introduced as the ultimate big bad but not really doing anything outside of one major scene, odd characterization of Storm and Magneto at critical moments in the stories (Storm considering shutting down the institute; and Magneto unnecessarily sacrificing mutants when he could just drop s bridge on the facility where Leech is located), the moral and psychological potential for a plot with the cure being reduced to humans merely using it as a weapon(and by that extension just another excuse for scenes of Brotherhood mutants killing off human fodder), and I could go on. This isn't to mention the silly moments like Quills threatening Pyro by getting prickly after Pyro just demonstrated that he can control fire, or really lame fanservice moments like unseen The Sentinel in the danger room sequence. Well, unseen until Wolverine defeated it off-screen.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #695
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Singer always characterized Cyclops incorrectly, and never gave him a large enough role. He was always just an annoying pbsticles in Logan and Jean's love affair.
Those are both true. It baffles me how much Singer screwed over Cyclops in the first two movies.

Quote:
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #696
CJ
Derpy Derp

I wasn't that impressed with OldBoy. It was.. okay, I guess.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #697
James
Built from Lego

I like the jet scene in Die Hard 4.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #698
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

I want to see a slasher movie with the killer getting caught in the first 20-30 minutes, and his/her replacement comes out and dies in the same film
It's always the strong hunter who can only be beat by the climax after a hard fought battle

Old 10-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #699
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
I want to see a slasher movie with the killer getting caught in the first 20-30 minutes, and his/her replacement comes out and dies in the same film
It's always the strong hunter who can only be beat by the climax after a hard fought battle

Kevin Williamson wanted to use that idea for a Scream sequel . It would of been the opening though.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #700
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets View Post
Kevin Williamson wanted to use that idea for a Scream sequel . It would of been the opening though.
Interesting, someone thought of that

Closed Thread