This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by haephestus View Post
I will really miss the Avatar universe in animated form.

I enjoyed the two-part finale. I still find it interesting that water bending seems to be Korra's last choice, even though she's from a water bender tribe. But, it was great to finally see her break out the water bending to freeze Kuvira's mecha giant.
I'll miss it so much as well. Korra really has meant a lot to me. It's because of Korra that I really became the writer I am right now. That's why I'm trying hard to make sure this ISN'T the end of the Avatar universe. It may take a while...but I'm hopeful that my effort will cause ripples.

And you're about the Waterbending thing. She really doesn't use it a lot. To be fair, Waterbending is the one element where you need to have your response near you at almost all times. Hence why Katara had a jug of water on her at all times. But this does cause some pretty cool moments when it does happen. That freezing of the Colossus was totally epic.

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
BlackMagicWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
kickass
Side-Kick

Default Re: Avatar: The Legend Of Korra - Part 6

Another rave review. Entertainment Weekly says Korra is the best female superhero series since Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Great read
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/20/th...its-own-terms/

Old 12-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
Primal Slayer
Back to Black

I'm glad the series is getting the praise it deserves. Really wish Nick would give us DTVs of both this and ATLA.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

I'm glad people are praising the finale (and by extension the season/series) as a whole. It was a good ending to the series. The only reason I didn't give it a perfect score for FollowingTheNerd was because of the Wu scenes and some questions about the "fall" of Kuvira. Everything else was fine, great even. Still 4.5 out of 5 ain't bad right?

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
Old 12-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
kickass
Side-Kick

I would also like to add, I don't think any of us anticipated the finale of this show to be so controversial or loud. I mean, when Avatar ended, I don't recall much noise other than the fanbase sobbing lol.

With Korra, this finale I feel will have a much stronger and lasting impact. It's crazy. The show could have just ended and died and that's it. Instead, I feel like it's still going on due to the current discussion. I never thought it would hit as hard as it has.

I wonder what Nickelodeon thinks about all the discussion (and praise). Maybe it'll inspire them to renew a new series later on. I think it would be a very different situation if the show was not well received and it's ending was bad.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:20 PM   #8
Primal Slayer
Back to Black

I think Nickelodeon knows how well the franchise is received by everyone. It just doesn't translate well enough to ratings/kids.

Primal Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #9
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
I think Nickelodeon knows how well the franchise is received by everyone. It just doesn't translate well enough to ratings/kids.
Or well enough for their standards, which is sad because this does do well, which is one of the reasons they went to digital only viewing. They were getting much more views via digital streams than their standard TV ones.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #10
MagnarTheGreat
Web Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Ones
They said Kuvira will be held accountable for everything she's done. We don't need to see them punish her to get the idea. Korra getting someone like Kuvira to apologize like that shows how far her character has developed.

I wish people wouldn't undermine the significance of ending by saying it was written to appease Tumblr. Korra and Asami weren't exactly subtle, and their relationship has been leading to something romantic for at least two seasons.

Korra is a queer nonwhite heroine and star of her own action show. This is absolutely huge and amazing, but unfortunately some people always resist.
Only if someone strangely thinks that two characters on a show cannot be only friends. Korra and Asami were two women on opposing sides in a love triangle with Mako and so they came across as building a friendship. "Two girls are communicating with each other...must want to date each other" is a massive leap of thought.

It has to do with the shoddy storytelling of Book 4 in general, where Mike and Bryan spend a lot of time on stuff that doesn't matter and no time on things that matter. Simultaneously turning two characters into lesbians would qualify as something that mattered but without direct indication this was a thing before. It's a bit of an ass-pull is what I think it's commonly called. But this is what Tumblr wanted.

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 12-21-2014 at 07:35 PM.
MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
kickass
Side-Kick

"But this is what Tumblr wanted".

Again, books 3 and 4 were made together. The animation for Book 4 was half way finished when Book 3 began airing. We can account for that based on Tumblr updates and how quickly Book 4 was ready to air after Book 3 ended.

Book 3, as we all know, is where the relationship between Korra and Asami began to grow. Did the creators give the Tumblr fans what they wanted? How could that be if the creators already planted the seeds and set everything in motion BEFORE the fans knew what was coming?
Or did the Tumblr fans just hope and prayed that what they were seeing actually held some weight?

I think it's time to let go your Tumblr tether. Enter the Portal. Hold hands. And celebrate Korrasami.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #12
kickass
Side-Kick

This review is incredibly well written.
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/legend-...t-stand-213266

Old 12-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #13
MagnarTheGreat
Web Ninja

A storyboard artist for TLOK said that this wasn't the ending that he saw when he worked on the show--the previous ending was more vague. After getting flack for it he wrote an apology.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
Crystalice1
Side-Kick

Welp
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

"Being the Avatar doesn't hurt your chances with the ladies either." - Avatar Roku

You can say that again Roku

Crystalice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #15
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
Simultaneously turning two characters into lesbians
Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but they're bisexuals.

GamerSlyRatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #16
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Quote:
A storyboard artist for TLOK said that this wasn't the ending that he saw when he worked on the show--the previous ending was more vague. After getting flack for it he wrote an apology.
Wait, he had to apologize just saying that wasn't the ending he originally saw?

Ugh. The Internet.

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #17
Crystalice1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
Wait, he had to apologize just saying that wasn't the ending he originally saw?

Ugh. The Internet.
Yup, apparently some fans jumped on him because of it

Crystalice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #18
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalice1 View Post
I really dislike fans sometimes.

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #19
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalice1 View Post
See? This is what makes the ending sad for me. Not that it occurred, or that they did it like they did, it's that the ambiguity of the scene is so intentional that it splits the fanbase, and because of that people are attacking Bryan and Mike, other fans, and now apparently storyboard artists depending on what they believe.

That hurts me, cause regardless of what the "real intent" of the scene was, you know that Bryan, Mike, and all the artists who worked on LOK put a lot of passion and effort into making these episodes, and seasons, and series. To attack them, or any other fans because of what they felt they saw is wrong.

Now to be clear, it's not wrong that people explain how they feel, or why they reached that conclusion, it's wrong that people insult others because of how they feel.

Just from personal experience, because I didn't think Korra and Asami were a couple I was called homophobic by a person who read my review (not on this thread). He apologized after I explained a little, but you could tell he was still miffed. Also, someone here said that I was "looking too hard" into this scene to reach my conclusion, when my reaction was near instantaneous.

I hate talking badly about Legend of Korra, because I love this show. And I don't like it when others (unjustifiably) bash this show, or the writers, or the fans, it's not fair. We're all fans, we all love this show to various extents. It's fine to have an opinion, let's just not bash each other for having one and believing in it.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #20
XavierStormag
Frustrated DC fan

Quote:
There you go. This tells me that they intentionally changed the scenes to make it more obvious about Korrasami being more than just friends and yet people still believe that is not canon. This is what they wanted to get across. I don't think that Bryke would do this just to "please" shippers. They don't do that. They troll shippers. You have Mike or Bryan favoring a fan's essay about what this means to her and her gay kid, and sharing that vanity fair article talking about what a bold move this was. To me there is nothing ambiguous about this.
Now, whether we like it or not is up to each of us but denying what happened doesn't make sense.

XavierStormag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:15 PM   #21
PWN3R

The finale was so emotional and victorious. Absolutely wonderful series. Book 3 and 4 really elevated LoK into something special.

I am going to miss these characters so much.

“What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness." - Don Draper

PWN3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #22
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Season 1 was phenomenal, Season 2 had serious problems, Season 3 was a serious improvement, and Season 4 was just a mess.

Really, the plot of Season 2 should have been the finale, with the whole battle between good and evil.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:46 PM   #23
kickass
Side-Kick

Quote:
This only tells me that the INTENT was still there, and that they changed it to only harden the point they were trying to convey.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:53 AM   #24
ravn0s
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe it'll inspire them to renew a new series later on.
or some direct to dvd/bluray animated movies like the ones warner bros./dc comics make.

ravn0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #25
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Where did he make his comments and where did fans attack him?

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote