The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Justice League > Justice League

Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #51
BigA
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Arthur Curry/Aquaman Thread

Not sure how good of an actor he is, but Drew Van Acker definitely has the look. He was rumored for a role in the next Hunger Games movie.

BigA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #52
thorstone
Side-Kick

Default Re: Making Aquaman's Powers Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Why would one need to use some new hydrokinetic power to justify giving Aquaman super strength, when he *already* has super strength, and always has? Guy works fine as a utility infielder who combines decently high physical power and speed, with exotic senses and telepathy. Assuming you use him, which I think is a bad idea for budgetary reasons.
Hydrokinesis would explain his super human strength as well as his ability to dive to the bottom of the ocean. Super powers have to be explained.

Talking to fish is exactly what needs to be left out.

thorstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #53
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstone View Post
Hydrokinesis would explain his super human strength as well as his ability to dive to the bottom of the ocean. Super powers have to be explained.

Talking to fish is exactly what needs to be left out.
Telepathy needs to be left in because he can talk to more than just fish. This isn't the same Aquaman from the Super Friends..he doesn't need to be made into a badass, just interpreted that way. He has super strength and dense skin that allows him to swim to deep depths because he's Atlantean. Hydrokinesis isn't necessary.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #54
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I can't say I'm crazy about hydrokinesis. Maybe as a magic, type thing.

But what I would emphasize, is that he lives in a world where there are some very freakish sea creatures. So, he could certainly do more than summon a dolphin or a shark. Think a kraken, or some other giant sea beast.

If we're adding powers, I'd like to see an Aquaman who can generate, electricity, like say an eel. Use it offensively or defensively. Keeps with the aquatic theme.

Especially once he gets a trident.
I'd rather they saved the electricity for Kaldur, if he ever appears in a movie. For his trident I think they should have it shooting out golden or blue beams, creating force fields, manipulating the seas and skies to cause rainstorms, tsunamis, etc. Electricity would seem like Thor's Mjolnir to me.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 AM   #55
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Aquaman is already a badass. People who think otherwise don't know enough to form an actual opinion. It's true. Anyway, if I did have some say in Aquaman's powers they'd be:

Super strength- He's always had it. He's Atlantean, same way Wonder Woman is super strong because she is Amazonian or J'onn because he is Martian.

Invulnerability- Atlatean physiology again, he can take bullets, but occasionally a few will break his skin.

Telepathy- This doesn't just have to be fish. It's all life forms that evolved from animals that dwelt in the sea. So, all animals. He can induce seizures in people, for example. Not to mention the sea life he can summon doesn't need to just be dolphins. He can summon 50 metre sharks, the Biblical Behemoth, Kraken, Cthulu. You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.

Now, I actually agree with that addition of yours- Hydrokinesis. But I'd do it differently.

If WB are attempting to establish a cinematic universe it would be a trident that gives Aquaman this power. The trident would have belonged to Poseidon, first King of Atlantis, giving him a link to Wonder Woman. It can only be wielded by the true King of Atlantis, like Excalibur and King Arthur.

The "badass" Aquaman moment would be, in an attack, he is blindsided and dropped off in a desert due to people not understanding his powers, thinking he needs to be around water. So he slams his trident in the barren ground, the sky darkens, huge black clouds blocking out the sun, and lightning streaking across the sky and a torrential downpour happens, and Aquaman lets loose on Parademons or OMACs or whatever villain there is.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #56
TheWatcher
Dapper

Super human strength and durability, enhanced speed and stamina. Can control all life in the ocean. Can swim faster than boats.

Sounds good to me

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #57
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

You forgot the very awesome power of telepathy with aquatic animals.(unless that's what you meant by control)

But yeah, I see no need to change any of his powers.

Majik1387 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #58
thorstone
Side-Kick

If there are any giant sea monsters to appear-- they will be alien in origin and not on the side of the League.

Living at the bottom of the sea doesn't make an animal tough or invulnerable. Fact: whales are not bullet proof.

If you want super strength for characters like Superman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman; it cannot be based on physical strength, that power is based on telekinesis-- it's the brain that is the seat of the super power.

A character whose power is physically manifested is the Hulk.

I don't see a need to go into any of the Atlantis mythology in the Justice League film. All the audience needs to know going into JL is that this is a world where superhumans exist and characters like Aquaman and Wonder Woman have the powers they exhibit. I can see a need to explain The Flash's origin as he gained his powers and wasn't born with them, but the other characters (Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Manhunter) were born superior.

thorstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #59
TheWatcher
Dapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
You forgot the very awesome power of telepathy with aquatic animals.(unless that's what you meant by control)

But yeah, I see no need to change any of his powers.
Yes that's what I meant lol. Mind blanked on the word at the time.

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #60
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
If there are any giant sea monsters to appear-- they will be alien in origin and not on the side of the League.

Living at the bottom of the sea doesn't make an animal tough or invulnerable. Fact: whales are not bullet proof.

If you want super strength for characters like Superman, Wonder Woman, and Aquaman; it cannot be based on physical strength, that power is based on telekinesis-- it's the brain that is the seat of the super power.

A character whose power is physically manifested is the Hulk.

I don't see a need to go into any of the Atlantis mythology in the Justice League film. All the audience needs to know going into JL is that this is a world where superhumans exist and characters like Aquaman and Wonder Woman have the powers they exhibit. I can see a need to explain The Flash's origin as he gained his powers and wasn't born with them, but the other characters (Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Manhunter) were born superior.
You're assuming that Aquaman won't have giant sea monsters at his disposal. That's not a fact, because none of us know what he'll be able to do.

Aquaman's strength is physical, it's never been mental. Who are you to say how his strength can and cannot be based on? This is canon you're attempting to discredit.

Fact: Whales are not Atlantean.

I wasn't talking about other sea animals, I was talking about the Atlanteans in particular and how they survive at such deep depths. Aquaman's skin is tough but not completely bullet-proof. Bullets can make him bleed but they also bounce off of his skin.

About his strength:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Aquaman possesses superhuman strength on the order of 150 times human maximum, but his strength is always underrated, considering the company that he keeps. His strength is more than a match for most barriers such as wood, metals, brick or concrete walls. Only extremely durable metal reinforced barriers, have any chance of slowing him for any length of time. Aquaman frequently displays feats of Super-Atlantean (the average Atlantean can lift/press approximately 2 tons) and Superhuman strength. While not on par with Superman, he has proven capable of performing standing high jumps of 4 stories (both on land and from water), lifting and throwing a tank (at least 25 tons), and even managed to hold out for an incredible length of time against Wonder Woman in combat. His strength would appear somewhat dependent on how hydrated he is as he was capable of lifting a considerable chunk of a city block in Sub-Diego, and has proven capable of shifting an oil rig platform which would weigh thousands of tons as well.

About his durability:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Aquaman's enhanced physiology enables him to withstand impacts that would kill and ordinary human, and critically injure an average Atlantean. He has been seen in ocean depths as deep as 20,000 feet (3.79 miles) below the surface of the water. That amount of pressure is 800 atmospheres, which is enough to turn an ordinary human into a smear of blood and bone dust. It seems that Aquaman has been able to travel as deep as 36,000 feet (6.82 miles) considering that he claims that his eyes have been adapted to see at that depth. He is not completely durable against large fire arms, but is able to take a direct hit by small arms fire without incapacitation. Regular bullets are shown to make him bleed but otherwise glance off his thick skin.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #61
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
This is about Aquaman's powers and making him not suck.
You know what you should do? Read something with Aquaman in it.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #62
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

How dare you say something that makes sense?

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #63
SuperFerret
Class Act

Quote:
Super powers have to be explained.
As they say on the internet, "LOL NOPE".

I'll go deeper into this: Why must super powers be explained? None of the other characters' powers have been explained, they just work. Also, Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are superstrong because they are superstrong, not because they're telekinetic? Why would hydrokinesis make me think of how Thor is superstrong? Finally, a whale's skin may not be bullet proof, but it should be bullet resistant (like Aquaman's skin is), and their bones would most likely be bulletproof. I'm not sure as I don't know of any scientific experiments that measured this (looks like a job for the Mythbusters).

Last edited by SuperFerret; 08-21-2012 at 10:18 PM.
SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #64
sethypants
Banned User

Im against Hydrokenesis that is for Mera and Aqualad.
I think he is powerful enough.

sethypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #65
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

I know he won't be cast, but I'd love to see Kevin McKidd play Aquaman.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #66
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Aquaman is already a badass. People who think otherwise don't know enough to form an actual opinion. It's true. Anyway, if I did have some say in Aquaman's powers they'd be:

Super strength- He's always had it. He's Atlantean, same way Wonder Woman is super strong because she is Amazonian or J'onn because he is Martian.

Invulnerability- Atlatean physiology again, he can take bullets, but occasionally a few will break his skin.

Telepathy- This doesn't just have to be fish. It's all life forms that evolved from animals that dwelt in the sea. So, all animals. He can induce seizures in people, for example. Not to mention the sea life he can summon doesn't need to just be dolphins. He can summon 50 metre sharks, the Biblical Behemoth, Kraken, Cthulu. You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.

Now, I actually agree with that addition of yours- Hydrokinesis. But I'd do it differently.

If WB are attempting to establish a cinematic universe it would be a trident that gives Aquaman this power. The trident would have belonged to Poseidon, first King of Atlantis, giving him a link to Wonder Woman. It can only be wielded by the true King of Atlantis, like Excalibur and King Arthur.

The "badass" Aquaman moment would be, in an attack, he is blindsided and dropped off in a desert due to people not understanding his powers, thinking he needs to be around water. So he slams his trident in the barren ground, the sky darkens, huge black clouds blocking out the sun, and lightning streaking across the sky and a torrential downpour happens, and Aquaman lets loose on Parademons or OMACs or whatever villain there is.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
charl_huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #67
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post

I'm cool with everything but the bolded. I prefer there are limits in his summoning water depending on his proximity to water. I also want the telepathic powers be limited to aquatic fauna and flora. He needs to have some friggin limits.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #68
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
I'm cool with everything but the bolded. I prefer there are limits in his summoning water depending on his proximity to water. I also want the telepathic powers be limited to aquatic fauna and flora. He needs to have some friggin limits.
I would like to see him exert himself. I dont' think these powers should be pret-port, but they should be available when called under duress. Aquaman's limits should be equal to Thor's...meaning he can't always call them or they need time to power up.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #69
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Aquaman shouldn't be able to telepathically communicate with any animal. Everything else sounded cool.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #70
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Sea animals are the only ones allowed. Anyone hating on telling killer whales and sharks to help them out clearly don't understand Aquaman's awesomeness.

Majik1387 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #71
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I don't understand the issue with him communicating telepathically with animals...including fish. I have never thought he actually spoke to them...but he guided them by overwhelming their instincts. I don't understand why this is an issue since humans can accept this being done to humans via hynopsis.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #72
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

and it's part of his powerset. It's like saying that Superman shouldn't have heat vision.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #73
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sea animals are the only ones allowed. Anyone hating on telling killer whales and sharks to help them out clearly don't understand Aquaman's awesomeness.
Or the awesomeness of killer whales and sharks.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #74
SuperFerret
Class Act

And orcas and sharks only if you just want a simple solution. The ocean has tons of scary crap in it that could be used against someone. It all depends on how cruel Aquaman wants to be.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #75
marcvader
Lurker #1

Imagine if Aquaman unleashed a school of candiru fish on someone. That would just be cruel.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote