World's Finest

Default Re: The Arthur Curry/Aquaman Thread

You won't regret them.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #102
metaphysician
Side-Kick

This might be tangential, but Aquaman using telepathy on non-fish is not actually new. He's been able to do it since the 60s, at least. The difference is that his telepathy is *weaker* on stuff that isn't fish. When dealing with Aquatic life, he might as well be Xavier's bearded cousin. When dealing with other stuff, he's good, but not godly.

Its been a while since I read the relevant summary, but the examples that come to mind:
-Puppeteering Superman's unconscious body ( in the 60s )
-Being an incredible douche who mind controls his own teammates when he lead the Detroit JLA ( in the 80s )
-Multiple instances of doing team telepathic efforts with J'onn J'onnz, including against Despero ( which did nothing, mind, but its Despero, that's expected )
-Battling and beating an undead atlantean sorcerer via telepathy

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #103
thorstone
Side-Kick

And now my thread about Aquaman's powers is folded into the masturbatory casting thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
You're assuming that Aquaman won't have giant sea monsters at his disposal. That's not a fact, because none of us know what he'll be able to do.

Aquaman's strength is physical, it's never been mental. Who are you to say how his strength can and cannot be based on? This is canon you're attempting to discredit.

Fact: Whales are not Atlantean.

I wasn't talking about other sea animals, I was talking about the Atlanteans in particular and how they survive at such deep depths. Aquaman's skin is tough but not completely bullet-proof. Bullets can make him bleed but they also bounce off of his skin.

About his strength:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Aquaman possesses superhuman strength on the order of 150 times human maximum, but his strength is always underrated, considering the company that he keeps. His strength is more than a match for most barriers such as wood, metals, brick or concrete walls. Only extremely durable metal reinforced barriers, have any chance of slowing him for any length of time. Aquaman frequently displays feats of Super-Atlantean (the average Atlantean can lift/press approximately 2 tons) and Superhuman strength. While not on par with Superman, he has proven capable of performing standing high jumps of 4 stories (both on land and from water), lifting and throwing a tank (at least 25 tons), and even managed to hold out for an incredible length of time against Wonder Woman in combat. His strength would appear somewhat dependent on how hydrated he is as he was capable of lifting a considerable chunk of a city block in Sub-Diego, and has proven capable of shifting an oil rig platform which would weigh thousands of tons as well.

About his durability:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Aquaman's enhanced physiology enables him to withstand impacts that would kill and ordinary human, and critically injure an average Atlantean. He has been seen in ocean depths as deep as 20,000 feet (3.79 miles) below the surface of the water. That amount of pressure is 800 atmospheres, which is enough to turn an ordinary human into a smear of blood and bone dust. It seems that Aquaman has been able to travel as deep as 36,000 feet (6.82 miles) considering that he claims that his eyes have been adapted to see at that depth. He is not completely durable against large fire arms, but is able to take a direct hit by small arms fire without incapacitation. Regular bullets are shown to make him bleed but otherwise glance off his thick skin.
Giant monster? From what planet? This movie takes place on planet Earth.

Being able to live at the bottom of the ocean doesn't make one powerful or tough. If he evolved at the bottom of the ocean-- he would die when he came to the surface.

Last edited by thorstone; 08-25-2012 at 05:30 PM.
thorstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #104
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

It happens.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #105
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstone View Post
I assume it would be an imaginary monster from an imaginary version of Earth if it were to be summoned by an imaginary character from an imaginary race that lives in an imaginary place in an imaginary story.

Quote:
Being able to live at the bottom of the ocean doesn't make one powerful or tough.
It does in imaginary stories where it does.

Quote:
If he evolved at the bottom of the ocean-- he would die when he came to the surface.
But that hasn't happened. Weird.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:13 PM   #106
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
And now my thread about Aquaman's powers is folded into the masturbatory casting thread.
Um, okay then... This thread is a more of a character thread meaning general discussion about said character takes place here... Casting is only a small part of it...

LibidoLoca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #107
thorstone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
I assume it would be an imaginary monster from an imaginary version of Earth if it were to be summoned by an imaginary character from an imaginary race that lives in an imaginary place in an imaginary story.

It does in imaginary stories where it does.

But that hasn't happened. Weird.
I imagine a Justice League movie that exists in our world (as opposed to Burton style imaginary CGI cityscapes).

These characters, like Superman and Thor, have to be updated and modernized for the big screen.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #108
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:

Being able to live at the bottom of the ocean doesn't make one powerful or tough. If he evolved at the bottom of the ocean-- he would die when he came to the surface.
You have no idea what's really at the bottom of the ocean. For all we know, there actually could be giant sea creatures and we'd have no idea because it hasn't been explored.

Absorbing a yellow star's radiation shouldn't give you powers, but Superman's gonna be doing it anyway in his movie. This is a comic book movie, not reality. Stop attempting to dictate what characters can and cannot do in a world that you didn't create, nor have a say in. These are fantastical characters in a fantasized reality. What is so hard to understand about that?

Those are Aquaman's abilities, like it or not. You'd better hope they change them for the movie to suit your needs, but I personally don't think they will... and they shouldn't, imo.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #109
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Not to mention, having an Aquaman by definition means you have an Atlantis at the bottom of the sea. If your already introducing Fantasy Undersea Kingdom, its not exactly a huge leap to assume that there are other fantasy elements at the bottom of the sea. Tie them into Atlantis if you'd prefer, as "ancient beasts of war" or something.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #110
TheWatcher
Dapper

Quote:

This is a movie where two of the main members are aliens, one is an amazon warrior, one got a power ring from small blue aliens, one can move as fast as light,one dresses up as a bat and fights aliens in a kevlar suit, and the last one is the king of Atlantis.

And you're complaining that a sea monster is too "out of this world"? That's more realistic than anything I said above.

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:15 PM   #111
cleverusername8
Or something like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
This is a movie where two of the main members are aliens, one is an amazon warrior, one got a power ring from small blue aliens, one can move as fast as light,one dresses up as a bat and fights aliens in a kevlar suit, and the last one is the king of Atlantis.

And you're complaining that a sea monster is too "out of this world"? That's more realistic than anything I said above.
Batman doesn't normally fight aliens though. He just fights insane criminals and mutants. Just putting that out there.

cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #112
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Yeah, I'd say that Batman is the most realistic out of the League. That's still pushing it, though.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #113
SpiderJew
Newbie First Class

Aquaman should not be in this movie. His character is subject to too much ridicule, and like Martian manhunter, will not be able to hold his own in a film with superman and batman, unlike GL, flash and WW, who will not be squandered by superman and batmans screen time

SpiderJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #114
darthhalen
Side-Kick

Anyone who says Aquaman could not hold his own in a movie with the rest of the team is really uneducated IMHO! I feel fairly certain Arthur will be included in this movie as his recent climb in popularity will make it hard for WB not to take advantage of. I mean come on, his book outsold EVERY marvel book until Avengers Vs. X-men. Read the new Aquaman series and tell me he can't hold his own!

darthhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #115
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

You so cray cray. Aquaman will be ridiculed once in the movie, and then he will show what he is capable of and the jokes about him will get lesser and lesser.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #116
Project862006
Banned User

so what look do you guys prefer?I'd prefer the 1st i don't want him to look like thor with long hair and beard too much

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #117
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
I imagine a Justice League movie that exists in our world (as opposed to Burton style imaginary CGI cityscapes).

These characters, like Superman and Thor, have to be updated and modernized for the big screen.
Oh, I get your point. They should totally make him die when he goes in or comes out of the water then.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #118
TheWatcher
Dapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverusername8 View Post
Batman doesn't normally fight aliens though. He just fights insane criminals and mutants. Just putting that out there.
We are talking about a Justice League movie, he'll most definitely be fighting aliens.

And ThePowerCosmic, he is the most realistic. But him fighting aliens is not.

-Christian Bale
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #119
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #120
metaphysician
Side-Kick

I certainly would like to see Aquaman get a decent movie portrayal, repair his reputation. However, I think he's the most dispensable member of the Big Seven.

1. Underwater scenes are expensive, and a JLA movie is already going to be pricey

2. Including underwater scenes would be the hardest challenge for the writer to do so naturally, as compared with including theme-scenes for everyone else

3. Aquaman has the worst GA rep of any member, putting additional strain on the writers ( yes, even worse than GL )

4. Aquaman brings the least to the party dynamic, in particular, "coming from a hidden mythic civilization" overlapping with Wonder Woman

So, of the Big Seven? He's the first to cut from the roster, logically, when deciding what is worth the time and effort to include in the movie.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #121
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Why would there need to be underwater scenes? New 52 JL has no underwater scenes. Neither did Morrison's JLA. They aren't vital to his character. Atlantis might be where he comes from, but it's not where he lives. In any case, it could be done like the Gungan city in Phantom Menace, where the city is underwater, but surrounded by a forcefield so essentially, it's just an alien city.

He may be the easiest to cut, but it doesn't mean he should be.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #122
marcvader
Lurker #1

He should not be cut. If there were some kind of world threat I'd certainly want him in the thick of things. He is the lord of the seas, why wouldn't he take part?

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #123
The Guard
Side-Kick

I can definitely see him as a reluctant ally a la KINGDOM COME...but he should definitely be involved if there's a threat to the world.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #124
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
so what look do you guys prefer?I'd prefer the 1st i don't want him to look like thor with long hair and beard too much

The 1st pic 1000 % YES.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #125
thorstone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Oh, I get your point. They should totally make him die when he goes in or comes out of the water then.
No, I explained how I would portray the character's powers based on one psychokinetic power, hydrokinesis (a power he has in the comics).

Aquaman's power over water would permit him perceived super human strength and the ability to move through water at high speeds, dive to the bottom of the sea unharmed, and return to the surface without suffering the bends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
You have no idea what's really at the bottom of the ocean. For all we know, there actually could be giant sea creatures and we'd have no idea because it hasn't been explored.

Absorbing a yellow star's radiation shouldn't give you powers, but Superman's gonna be doing it anyway in his movie. This is a comic book movie, not reality. Stop attempting to dictate what characters can and cannot do in a world that you didn't create, nor have a say in. These are fantastical characters in a fantasized reality. What is so hard to understand about that?

Those are Aquaman's abilities, like it or not. You'd better hope they change them for the movie to suit your needs, but I personally don't think they will... and they shouldn't, imo.
This is a Justice League movie-- not Godzilla.
You're crossing over from science fiction and into science fantasy.

Last edited by thorstone; 08-28-2012 at 07:51 PM.