The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 08-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #51
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Default Re: David Cronenberg says some stupid things about superhero movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader14 View Post
Maybe so, but he still doesn't seem to know what he's talking about.
yes, his opinion seems uninformed. and im surprised about that. a big theme in a lot of cronenbergs film's is science gone wrong and the monsters that result from it. which is so readily available in comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Understandable, but it is a bit hypocritical. What makes Tom Stall any more 'mature' than Frank Castle (Punisher '04)? And I don't precisely remember A History of Violence exploring philosophical themes and socio-political subtext like V for Vendetta and Watchmen did.

It's his opinion, but I do find his opinion to be a bit flawed when he cites that superhero comic books and movies are purely for adolescents.
yes, similarities can be drawn to punisher. yes V for Vendetta and Watchmen provided more subtext. but these are specifics in regards to a comment that is not only generalizing, but also uninformed.

i get the points yer trying to make, and yer not wrong. im just saying, his comments are in regards to superheros. and he's never directed a superhero movie. so i dont think they're all that hypocritical. there are better things to criticize him about. such as speaking about things that he is clearly less than informed on.

Last edited by Motown Marvel; 08-17-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Motown Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #52
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Did you guys know Cosmopolis, Cronenberg's new movie, comes out this weekend?

You might not have known before these quotes by him on superhero movies made news.

Yep. Publicity stunt.

Plus, Cosmopolis is never going to come anywhere close to grossing what TDKR has, so there's probably a bit of sour grapes. It's always going to be lower on the top grossing movies totem pole than TDKR.

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #53
TinkerTailor
Pest

He was asked a question and he answered it honestly, within the boundaries of his clearly limited knowledge. It's hardly sour grapes that TDKR will make more money than any of his films. He's not the kind of director to put that much stock in box office.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:17 AM   #54
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I'm not surprised.

Alot of directors resent the current blockbuster Superhero movies because movie studios are making less movies per year.

The studio system is based more around the summer tentpole blockbusters which are often superhero movies, where they make most their money.

Directors like Cronenberg complain because they are finding it harder to finance the type of movies they want to make.

Cronenberg wasn't a fan of The Girl With Dragon Tattoo either

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 08-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #55
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

I love all of Cronenberg's movies that I've seen, though admittedly I haven't seen too many of them. I've also seen a few interviews and he seems like a well spoken, intelligent man. So, I'll still have my respect for him, but I do find his view on superhero films to be a gross generalization.

No, I don't think TDKR is quite high cinema art. I do think TDK is, however. And that's not because it's a superhero film. TDK managed to weave together a brilliant, tightly woven story, gorgeous cinematography, beautiful music and some career defining performances into one, extremely marketable package. But that last part isn't something to be ashamed of.
TDK puts a TON of ideas out on the table for people who WANT to talk about them, but it also serves as pure escapism entertainment with plenty of grade-A action for people whom just want to zone out and be entertained by pretty images and explosions.

Basically, Nolan took the Transformers style blockbuster and approached it with the same care and precision he would approach a small indie-drama. The result, in my opinion, IS high cinema art.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #56
Shpati
Side-Kick

Old 08-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #57
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
I'm not surprised.

Alot of directors resent the current blockbuster Superhero movies because movie studios are making less movies per year.

The studio system is based more around the summer tentpole blockbusters which are often superhero movies, where they make most their money.

Directors like Cronenberg complain because they are finding it harder to finance the type of movies they want to make.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Did he just say Mikael Blomkvist gave a asexual vibe? Blomkvist had sex with almost everyone woman he met.

Lunar_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #58
Mandalore464
New User

Edit : Deleted

Last edited by Mandalore464; 10-18-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Mandalore464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #59
kthevs
Banned User

The guy wanted attention, and now everyone is giving it to him. His career jumped the shark when he cast Edward the vampire to be in his movie.

kthevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #60
kthevs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasirius View Post
I like Croneberg. Even though I don't agree with him, I certainly haven't loss any sort of respect I have for him because he is a great filmmaker. He can think whatever he wants.

It's like stop being friends with someone because they didn't like TDKR.
It's not the same as not being friends with someone who didn't like a movie. This is a director who is going out of his way to bash another filmmaker for absolutely no reason. He's also being an elitst snob and saying that only the types of movies he likes can be art.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #61
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I don't think that you would find Nolan taking potshots at other filmmakers just because he doesn't like the movies they make, Cronenberg has shown that he lacks class.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #62
kthevs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
I don't think that you would find Nolan taking potshots at other filmmakers just because he doesn't like the movies they make, Cronenberg has shown that he lacks class.
He did the same thing when Girl with the dragon tattoo came out. The guy just likes attention. That's why he cast pattinson in his movie. He wants people talking about him.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #63
VM1138
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Wolf View Post
While promoting Cosmopolis, David Cronenberg was asked what he thought about big-time directors, directing superhero films. Mr. Cronenberg had a few things to say on the matter.

He said The Dark Knight Rises was ”boring”, which I has no problem with, that’s his opinion, but he went on to say this:

First off, not all comic books are for kids. Like film, there’s comics for kids and comics for adults, so no, it’s not adolescent in it’s core. Even Batman is not a kids comic. And remember, this same guy directed A History of Violence, a film adapted from a comic book!

Funny thing about art is, it’s SUBJECTIVE! Do I think The Dark Knight Rises is supreme cinema art? No. Is it art? Yes, of course. But hey, some people might think it is. Some people might take away something different from The Dark Knight Rises or any film in particular, than you or I did.

So at the end of the day, I don’t think David Cronenberg knows what the **** he is talking about when it comes to comic book movies.

-MADG
Never been a big fan of Cronenberg, or his movies. He's kind of a dick and his movies are really dull. Mostly because they think they are greater than they really are.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #64
BatManFan_NYC
Tschüss - 8/18/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthevs View Post
He did the same thing when Girl with the dragon tattoo came out. The guy just likes attention. That's why he cast pattinson in his movie. He wants people talking about him.
TGWTDT was crap! but Eastern Promises however, was very nice

BatManFan_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #65
aeioulul
Eccentric Billionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatManFan_NYC View Post
TGWTDT was crap! but Eastern Promises however, was very nice
But.. but... I love TGWTDT. Hopefully, I'm not alone.

"Peace has cost you strength. Victory has defeated you."

"Lie still. I've never done this before, and there will be blood."
aeioulul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #66
intothevoid
Side-Kick

What a clown.

intothevoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #67
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Yeah, I think he came off like a total ass here, and I say that as someone who loved his last film, A Dangerous Method, a movie that didn't get half the attention it deserved.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #68
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
I'm not surprised.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
This makes the most sense to me.

Many directors have to hate the fact that superhero movies are getting almost all the limelight from movie goers.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #69
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

After all the hate mail he gets, he'll probably realize comic books fans are far more loyal and passionate than his current fanbase.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #70
BatManFan_NYC
Tschüss - 8/18/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Yeah, I think he came off like a total ass here, and I say that as someone who loved his last film, A Dangerous Method, a movie that didn't get half the attention it deserved.
I loved that movie!!!!

Old 08-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #71
BatManFan_NYC
Tschüss - 8/18/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeioulul View Post
But.. but... I love TGWTDT. Hopefully, I'm not alone.
I should clarify, I really liked Noomi Rapace's version, but I thought Rooney Mara was overrated. I thought, The Fincher version looked better, had beautiful looking cinematography, beautiful looking actors, Skarsgard was a joy to watch [as always] but the movie had no soul. A poor imitation / homage to the Swedish version. And Mara's lines \ dialogue \ delivery \ accent were laughable.

I saw it opening night at midnight, and I was sooooooo angry. And what was up with that crappy opening sequence \ music video. it was haaaaribble!

[imo]

Old 08-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #72
Happy Jack
Onion Knight

Cronenberg's a fine director and has made some great movies, but yeah, he comes off as pretentious and close-minded here. Unfortunately he falls into the same trap that a lot of people do who are not very familiar with comic book/superhero material. However, I do think he has a point in saying that a lot of superhero movies are disposable. They are, it just isn't for the reason he's saying it is.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #73
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
Quote:
Comics, and the ghostly fascination of those paper people, paralyzed in time, marionettes without strings, unmoving, cannot be transposed to film, whose allure is motion, rhythm, dynamic. It is a radically different means of addressing the eye, a separate mode of expression. The world of comics may, in its generosity, lend scripts, characters and stories to the movies, but not its inexpressible secret power that resides in that fixity, that immobility of a butterfly on a pin.
Federico Fellini
I can't begin to argue how wrong and ignorant this quote is.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #74
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back

It´s both funny and sad to see a guy, particularly a respected one, to call out on people for supposedly not knowing what they´re talking about, and then go and do exactly that, by making a statement that hasn´t been true for almost three decades.

Lots of people who know a lot about what supreme cinema art supposedly is, if it´s even possible to truly define such a thing, such as film critics like Richard Roeper, Roger Ebert and Peter Travers, have praised Nolan´s Batman movies as exactly that.

He sounds jealous and bitter cuz he knows TDKR is gonna stomp all over his new movie at the box office. and it´s not being praised as supreme cinema art either. He should be reminded on how much of his clout to get movies made in the first place came from blowing up heads and making Jeff Goldblum decompose himself into a giant fly.

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.

Last edited by ultimatefan; 08-17-2012 at 11:00 AM.
ultimatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #75
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

i dont think his comments are anything more than him giving an answer to a question he was asked. you might not like what cronenberg has to say, but he's not the type of dude who is cheap enough to say things like this for subversive reasons. he's not doing this for attention, since the only limited attention it could ever garner is negative reaction from internet fan boys on stupid message boards. and theres nothing advantageous for him to garner such attention. it has nothing to do with box office returns either. cronenberg is well aware of his films' place in the general public.

as for casting pattinson: he took a teeny bopper star and put him in a movie that requires him to get a rectal exam in the back seat of a limo. imagine all the twilight girls who are going to this movie to unexpectedly endure watching that and tell me yer not amused.