The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Which Version(s) of Lex Luthor?
Mad Scientist 76 21.41%
Inventor 101 28.45%
Corrupt Businessman 318 89.58%
Fan of Superboy (root of his hatred for Superman) 6 1.69%
Former Friend of Clark Kent in Smallville 49 13.80%
Crook (Donnerverse) 16 4.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #151
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Default Re: The Official Lex Luthor Casting Thread - Part 6

Guy Pearce or ...Wakeen Phoenix would be good for Lex

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Old 10-01-2012, 02:37 AM   #152
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Guy Pearce was definitely the entitled, arrogant a-hole in Prometheus...just as an old man, lol.

But the man's a chameleon who could pretty much play any character he wanted to. Just contrast the characters he played in Mildred Pierce, The Proposition, Lockout, Traitor, The King's Speech, Animal Kingdom and Lawless, and I really don't know how anyone couldn't see him playing just about any type of character under the sun.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #153
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Guy Pearce was definitely the entitled, arrogant a-hole in Prometheus...just as an old man, lol.

But the man's a chameleon who could pretty much play any character he wanted to. Just contrast the characters he played in Mildred Pierce, The Proposition, Lockout, Traitor, The King's Speech, Animal Kingdom and Lawless, and I really don't know how anyone couldn't see him playing just about any type of character under the sun.
Very true. He just has "it". I've only wanted one person to play Lex for a whole decade now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
I just added it to my Netflix queue. I'll check it out.
It's a Great movie. And you may recognize a special co star too

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Last edited by The Shield; 10-01-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #154
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Hopefully with Bale as Batman, WB will take notice of the fans again...........GUY PEARCE FOR LEX GODDAMN IT

I believe in Batfleck

Old 10-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #155
ashleytdkr
Newbie First Class

It's simple to set up Lex Luthor, especially the battle suit. General Zod is going to where a Battle Suit in the MoS so all we need is a part of that to fall of for Lexorp to pick up. Lex should be for most of the film a psychological threat for Superman similar to the way Joker was for Batman. Superman and Batman have never had a problem beating up Lex or Joker, its always been a more psychological war with them.

To modernize Lex, you have to show how corrupt he is and how many friends in high places he really has. The most interesting story's have always been about Superman trying to prove Lex has a hidden agenda. By showing that on film, and showing that people believe Lex over Superman, would be a great Psychological war that characters love to embark on. Just imagine Superman, an alien part of the same race of the 2 aliens that just attacked earth (General Zod * Faora) then accusing one of the worlds richest billionaires of crimes without no evidence.

But towards the end of the movie, after he has proved the Lex is indeed involved for the many crimes against humanity, Lex should then don the Battle suit. Only after Superman beats Lex Psychologically, can i see him going to square off against Superman fist to fist with the suit.

It would also be perfect for a sequel, after all Superman is gonna have some physical threats in MoS. I'd like to see one of Lex's experiment villains make an appearance too, Like Metallo. I think Metallo would work more than Bizzaro because you could also introduce the use of Kryptonite as well.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #156
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

In regards to his personality, I want to see traits of Birthright.

I loved the line from Clark to Lois in it as to why Lex is so hellbent on discovering other planets
"I think he's just looking for someone to talk to"

It just shows a great parrallel between Lex and Superman. Supes is more comfortable with humans, and Lex isn't. Superman is an Alien who is probably the most human of us all, while Lex is the complete opposite.

However Lex simply wants to spend his time concerning with Aliens, just so he can gain more knowledge and power.

So I would want his arrival in the next film and his arrival in Metropolis at that, to be concerned with one thing...he wants Superman. His arrival is made from a cover story. Lex wants Superman's knowledge, he wants his power. He wants him dissected, studied, and then disposed of.

But then at some point, feelings change. Lex begins to HATE Superman with a passion. His goal changes, which would lead to his downfall. He wants Superman destroyed...obliterated into nothing but ashes. He abandons his quest for power, and begins one to annihilate Superman, and possibly, everything the Kryptonian holds dear...

I believe in Batfleck

Old 10-02-2012, 04:51 AM   #157
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post

Pretty much.
Peter Weyland shared a lot in common with Lex, the greed and lust for power, but also the unbreakable determination and endless ambition. Everything positive and negative you could say about Weyland you could say about Lex.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #158
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Guy Pearce or ...Wakeen Phoenix would be good for Lex
Jaquin Phoenix has been one of my top three Lex choices since I joined this board in 2004. Still is. Lex Luthor can be his mainstream comeback role.

Guy Pearce would be a great Lex as well, my 2nd favorite straight forward son of a b^tch villian in Hollywood. Lawless reminded me of how much hate Pearce can generate. Thats why he is my top Green Goblin choice. I think Pearce can have a similiar dynamic with Garfield like he did with Shia.

Of course, my always reliable fallback for both roles is the man, Jason Isaacs.

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Best comic film of all time. The Dark Knight Rises!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #159
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Love Isaacs - he was always my pick if they went with bringing back Stamp's Zod in a Returns sequel.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #160
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
In regards to his personality, I want to see traits of Birthright.

I loved the line from Clark to Lois in it as to why Lex is so hellbent on discovering other planets
"I think he's just looking for someone to talk to"

It just shows a great parrallel between Lex and Superman. Supes is more comfortable with humans, and Lex isn't. Superman is an Alien who is probably the most human of us all, while Lex is the complete opposite.

However Lex simply wants to spend his time concerning with Aliens, just so he can gain more knowledge and power.

So I would want his arrival in the next film and his arrival in Metropolis at that, to be concerned with one thing...he wants Superman. His arrival is made from a cover story. Lex wants Superman's knowledge, he wants his power. He wants him dissected, studied, and then disposed of.

But then at some point, feelings change. Lex begins to HATE Superman with a passion. His goal changes, which would lead to his downfall. He wants Superman destroyed...obliterated into nothing but ashes. He abandons his quest for power, and begins one to annihilate Superman, and possibly, everything the Kryptonian holds dear...
I think Lex should already be in Metropolis. Also, I'm not sure I like the idea of the public knowing that Lex wants Superman dissected, studied, and then disposed of. They'll probably like Supes by the end of MoS, so Lex would already look like the bad guy when I think he should be more of a sly undercover type until he's eventually exposed.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #161
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Maybe Lexcorp is already in Metropolis, but Lex is stationed somewhere else for MOS?

And yeah, I meant that in secret

Old 10-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #162
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Personally, I'd like to see Lex Corp, but I don't need to see Lex.

I also think at the end of MOS, people should still be distrustful. If this is set to be realistic then I doubt one single battle will win people over, but he should start to win some people over. Then at the end you see a shadow in a window at Lex Corp....

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #163
Zionite1
Side-Kick

I wanted to ask-how wld you all feel we dont get Corporate Lex-Instead we get Mad scientist Lex-A worldfeared criminal with lots of hidden resources fighting Superman.No lexcorp,no nothing.Pure All star style Lex luthor

Old 10-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #164
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Well, I prefer the business man Lex who is also a genius and scientist. So I want the best of both worlds.

If he is a pure scientist and a criminal to boot...well I would be okay with that, but I would prefer a mixture and I don't want him to a criminal to begin with. I think watching is ultimate demise in conjunction with Superman rising to become the hero we love is more the story I wan to see.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #165
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Maybe Lexcorp is already in Metropolis, but Lex is stationed somewhere else for MOS?

And yeah, I meant that in secret
Oh, then I agree! Yeah, Lexcorp should be in Metropolis with Lex somewhere else in the world.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #166
Glassjaw
In training

That could be good, then Lex could return to Metropolis after the events of MoS and see the city has a new golden child, and that all his accomplishments count for nothing now everyone's going crazy for Supes'.

I'm really looking forward to a modern big screen adaption of Lex, I'm just having a hard time imagining what route they're going to go with him. Smallville's Lex definitely has been the best interpretation so far for my money, I think they'd need a similar take on the character - basically a guy who wants to do good, but can't change who he is, and ultimately falls to the dark side. There needs to be some sort of conflict, I don't think an all out bad guy out to get Superman will be interesting enough.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #167
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

I have always like Shea's performance on LnC. Rosenbaum wasn't bad though.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #168
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
That could be good, then Lex could return to Metropolis after the events of MoS and see the city has a new golden child, and that all his accomplishments count for nothing now everyone's going crazy for Supes'.

I'm really looking forward to a modern big screen adaption of Lex, I'm just having a hard time imagining what route they're going to go with him. Smallville's Lex definitely has been the best interpretation so far for my money, I think they'd need a similar take on the character - basically a guy who wants to do good, but can't change who he is, and ultimately falls to the dark side. There needs to be some sort of conflict, I don't think an all out bad guy out to get Superman will be interesting enough.
Probably not. I think I was thinking too much of Shea's Lex in his first appearance in L&C.

But there is a strong possibility that all the alien activity in Metropolis will draw him there after the events of MOS. Especially if Lexcorp deals with space and alien stuff like in Birthright?

I believe in Batfleck

Old 10-05-2012, 04:56 AM   #169
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionite1 View Post
I wanted to ask-how wld you all feel we dont get Corporate Lex-Instead we get Mad scientist Lex-A worldfeared criminal with lots of hidden resources fighting Superman.No lexcorp,no nothing.Pure All star style Lex luthor
I'd prefer it. I hated Byrne's whole take.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #170
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
I'd prefer it. I hated Byrne's whole take.
Well I personally dont hate Byrnes lex and he seems to recieve a Lot of love from fans.The reason Im thinking they shld go with the Madscientist lex instead of Corporate lex is so as to avoid the whole Public-distrusts-Alien angle in the Sequel.I wldnt mind seeing the whole Public-distrusts-Alien angle in MOS but prefer it be downplayed in the sequel.
If played well Madscientist Lex cld be the Joker of the Superman franchise,if not hed just be a Joker wannabe

Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #171
Project862006
Banned User

i still like the Daniel Craig suggestion he is a good looking dude but he also has a very rough harder edge look to him and i dont think i have seen him play a villain before

Old 10-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #172
JOE

Jason Issacs.
A.K.A.- Lucious Malfoy, Captain Hook, Col. William Tavington.

The guy is an absolute baddy.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 10-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #173
GreenKToo
In the fire

Isaacs for me. That said, unless WB has managed to somehow keep it under wraps, Lex won't be in it.

IMHO it will Most likely be just some shots of Lex-corp, and a mention of Lex in the papers/news, and MAYBE a shot of him from the back looking out his window watching the fight between supes and zod. If they dont show his face, then they don't have to cast anyone as Lex in MOS.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 10-05-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #174
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
Isaacs for me. That said, unless WB has managed to somehow keep it under wraps, Lex won't be in it.

IMHO it will Most likely be just some shots of Lex-corp, and a mention of Lex in the papers/news, and MAYBE a shot of him from the back looking out his window watching the fight between supes and zod. If they dont show his face, then they don't have to cast anyone as Lex in MOS.
Not sure if they should have him watching the fight, but at the end (preferably before the credits, leave that to Marvel), we should definitely see the back of his shaved head as some item involved in the plot or both this film and the next is placed on his desk, something like that.

But, going with the earlier Sherlock discussion, it would be incredibly cool if Lex was in Man of Steel and we didn't know he was until the sequel when he reveals he's been watching Supe the whole time.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #175
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
i still like the Daniel Craig suggestion he is a good looking dude but he also has a very rough harder edge look to him and i dont think i have seen him play a villain before
Daniel Craig played a villain in Road To Perdition and he was a good one in my opinion.

Here is a clip

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!: