The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Old 08-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #51
YoungPrime
Banned User

Default Re: James Gunn is in talks to direct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Marvel Studios has earned enough credit with me that I will basically accept their judgement on the matter.
And that's what it boils down to. Thor, Cap and Ironman 2 could've been better but they were no were near the flops that Lionsgate and Fox have made.

YoungPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #52
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
It scarred a lot of people and it shows that Snyder should never write his own script. If he has an idea, he should be like Aronosky and take his idea to a screenwriter (which is what he usually does).
It had flashes of brilliance. Get a good screenwriter and that movie would have been a big cult hit.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #53
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
Are you guys worried at all by the prospect of Alan Taylor directing Thor: The Dark World and the Russo brothers directing Captain America: The Winter Soldier? In both cases I feel a little worried at the prospect of these relatively untried directors taking on sequels to hit movies that I have a real fondness for.

James Gunn at least seems like a logical choice for Guardians of the Galaxy, since his previous work indicates he can handle special effects and action alongside offbeat humour. But Alan Taylor - I can see why his Game of Thrones work might recommend him for Thor, but then again, he's only directed a handful of feature films (though it's worth noting that the same criticisms could have been used against Joss Whedon - and indeed worried me - before The Avengers became a box office phenomenon and the culmination of every comic fan's wet dreams).

The real concern for me are the Russo brothers. CA: TFA was my favourite of the Phase 1 Marvel films, and I'm really worried that hiring a pair of directors best known for TV comedy is shortchanging the Sentinel of Liberty a bit. Cap has to be handled delicately. Joe Johnston was a perfect choice for a period piece like the first movie. But I'm seriously worried that Marvel might fumble the ball in re-introducing our star-spangled hero into the modern world with the choice of the Russo brothers.
The Russos, Alan Taylor, James Gunn and even Edgar Wright were certainly not on my short list for directors for the Phase II films. I still question some of those decisions, but I know that you could just as well say (as many did) that Jon Favreau did *not* have the right resume to direct Iron Man.

So....benefit of the doubt and all that. If the Russos screw up the Cap movie, I'll fanboyrage then.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #54
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

So if Gunn gets the job, I think it's safe to assume that Whedon will have a heavy influence on this movie. Perhaps even "ghost directing" it?

I'm totally fine with that.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #55
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Joss will probably be the most involved with this one more than any other Phase 2 film seeing a how its release is the closest to Avengers 2 and the involvement of Thanos.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #56
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

LOL Spider-Vader you mean like Jon Favreau is doing on Iron Man 3.

Just FYI, I'm half-kidding about that but man at Comic-Con Shane Black kept referencing how awesome it was to have Favreau on board and it almost felt like he was trying to tell me something. I was like, "OK Shane I get it. You are happy to have Favreau on board to work on the movie even though you are the director now." Then my gears started thinking and turning, "Is this Shane Black's weird way of saying how awkward this is and Jon Favreau is practically taking the movie away from him?"

And as ridiculous as that sounds . . . crazier things have happened in this business.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #57
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
The Russos, Alan Taylor, James Gunn and even Edgar Wright were certainly not on my short list for directors for the Phase II films. I still question some of those decisions, but I know that you could just as well say (as many did) that Jon Favreau did *not* have the right resume to direct Iron Man.

So....benefit of the doubt and all that. If the Russos screw up the Cap movie, I'll fanboyrage then.
Good call. A lot of the time when we've had a director who didn't seem to be right for directing a big budget superhero movie, they not only succeeded, but hit it out of the park. I mean, let's do a quick rundown: Sam Raimi directing Spider-Man? Chris Nolan doing Batman? Jon Favreau on Iron Man? Mark Webb, again, with Spider-Man? I could go on...in each case, there was nothing on the director's resume prior to filming that indicated they could handle a blockbuster superhero flick. But in each case, that actually turned out to be a benefit. By hiring directors not known for this kind of film, the studios managed to create truly unique movies that had a special charm, rather than generic blockbusters. Favreau injected a quirky humour into Iron Man, Nolan grounded the Dark Knight in gritty realism, Webb nailed the teen angst and offbeat romance.

Compare that to the times when we've had seasoned directors take the reins of superhero films. Interestingly enough, these supposed "safe hands" often end up creating something more generic than anything else. Just look at Bryan Singer's take on Superman. Fans at the time were fairly enthusiastic; the guy directed two X-Men pictures, so how could he fail at re-inventing the last son of Krypton? But as it turned out, his "vision" for Superman was notoriously flawed. The same could be said for Martin Campbell on Green Lantern: proven action director, everything seemed to be in place - but in the end, Green Lantern was one of the most generic superhero movies ever made, totally failed to live up to the promise of its concept and was a box office bomb.

So it seems that the strategy of hiring unlikely but talented directors with their own style and vision has created better films than the so-called "safe" choices. That makes me wonder what will happen with Man of Steel. Superman is my absolute favourite superhero, and after the debacle of SR, I'm desperate to see him re-take the mantle of the definitive cinematic superhero. Having directed Watchmen, Snyder on the surface seems like a safe choice, the trailer was intriguing, and with a script by David Goyer you'd think everything is set to create movie magic. But as we've seen in the past, the apparent "safe" choice often results in nothing but mediocrity.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #58
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Marc Webb hit it out of the park? I heard that movie sucked.

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #59
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

You heard wrong.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #60
Chewy
REDACTED

I was not a fan. But this isn't the thread to get into all that

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #61
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Yeah, that's true.

So... how 'bout those Guardians?

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #62
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Hmm, yeah, I didn't intend to convey that meaning and describe Webb as "hitting it out of the park", but I guess that's what I did. Well, he certainly didn't fail as much as Singer did with SR or, in particular, Martin Campbell with GL. The Amazing Spider-Man was a serviceable superhero movie - nothing more, nothing less. But it certainly wasn't a flop like GL.

I'm actually really excited about Guardians of the Galaxy. Honestly, I had never even hear of them before Marvel announced they were making the movie. But now I'm all enthusiastic, especially after hearing the comments of fans knowledgeable about the comics. It seems so offbeat. The material will either be a big hit or a big flop - Rocket Raccoon in particular seems like a challenge. An animated walking, talking (and badass) raccoon? But Marvel Studios hasn't made a bad movie yet. And I think this movie will do a good job of expanding the "cosmic" aspect of the MCU, to the point where audiences will accept a character like Rocket Raccoon alongside Cap, Thor, Iron Man and all the rest.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #63
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
Marc Webb hit it out of the park? I heard that movie sucked.
It wasn't great to be honest. Spider-man deserves more than 'serviceable', especially when a perfectly good series of Spidey films already exists.

I think ASM will have a legacy like 'The Incredible Hulk's. Adored by a very small group of fanboys on the internet who swear it's the second coming of Jesus, ignored by everyone else.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:59 PM   #64
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
It wasn't great to be honest. Spider-man deserves more than 'serviceable', especially when a perfectly good series of Spidey films already exists.

I think ASM will have a legacy like 'The Incredible Hulk's. Adored by a very small group of fanboys on the internet who swear it's the second coming of Jesus, ignored by everyone else.
Both series' have their pros and cons, though I can live with ASM's cons a little more than the original series' cons. Even before ASM was announced I watched SM2 after not having seen it for a while, and it was way too sappy and corny for me.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #65
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

ASM is easily the best Spider-Man movie. It's the only one that gets Spider-Man's character right. Spider-Man is a wiseass & a genius, not a baby dork like Rami's "Spider-Man". & I agree with JB, the original trilogy is just too cheesy, it has not aged well. & those films really don't get the characters right. ASM felt like I was seeing most of the characters come to life (Dr Connors/Lizard was the only iffy interpretation), Rami films like they were the characters in name only.

But yeah, when is Marvel going to C/D if Gunn is directing?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #66
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Couldnt disagree more about the Spidey films to be honest, the first 2 Raimi films were a lot better than ASM in my eyes, I found ASM to be very dissapointing, everything just felt dis-connected, especially Uncle Ben's death which is possibly the most important part.

Raimi's movie/s got you so involved in that aspect and the emotion of it, you couldnt help but get invested in it all.

And yeah, I know GOTG is out late summer 2014 but I would imagine they need to confirm a director soon.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:16 AM   #67
Silvermoth
Avenger

I agree AVEITWITHJAMON. It just didn't have that energy.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #68
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Definately, I enjoyed it, but it wasnt a patch on the first Raimi movies, I just felt de-tached from the whole thing. Garfield was good though, the budget was ridiculous though at the same time.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #69
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Can we all agree that Andrew Garfield is perfect for Peter Parker though? They definitely knew how to cast this time around.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:34 AM   #70
Silvermoth
Avenger

Oh yeah definetly. Garfield was amazing. No pun intended.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #71
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

So has Gunn been confirmed yet?

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #72
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Nope.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #73
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
Can we all agree that Andrew Garfield is perfect for Peter Parker though? They definitely knew how to cast this time around.
He is okay but nothing extraordinary.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:14 AM   #74
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
So if Gunn gets the job, I think it's safe to assume that Whedon will have a heavy influence on this movie. Perhaps even "ghost directing" it?

I'm totally fine with that.
He's friends with Gunn and respects him, so he's not going to pull any crap like that and take over the set from him (that is if Gunn does do the movie). The most involvement Whedon will probably have will be punching up the script.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 AM   #75
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
He was good, but I felt the characterization was pretty off. They basically had him come off as a too cool, more brooding bad boy then put upon geek.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote