The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #801
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 3

I got an infraction for my response, lol

Reminds of getting in trouble for standing up to a bully in 1st grade.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #802
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
So how does he locate the muggers?
Oh, how does Batman "disappear"? How does Batman fight so many men at the same time? How does Batman do everything he does?

In this case, a detailed knowledge of the city and a few gadgets can make the trick. But since Batman is portrayed as a urban myth that might or might not be super-human, it would have been really stupid to show the secret behind the magic trick.

Quote:
I don't like it. It looks like a non-intimidating man in a carnival suit.
I guess you imagined that carnival, right?

Quote:
Then I hate when Batman is shot. It looks ridiculous.
On the contrary, it gives rise to his following "undead" kind of resurrection.

Quote:
Then he throws the batarang at such a short distance (because in the dumb bulky suit you cannot run).
Pure speculation of yours. He used it to catch the thug, it is clearly shown. Running after him would have looked really normal for a supernatural being act. That thug saw Batman still and yet somehow he is being attracted to him. More terrifying it couldn't have been. A real triumph making Batman look like a supernatural monster to those two poor souls.

Quote:
When he grabs the guy it doesn't get better because Keaton looks smaller than the man. It just doesn't look like he could be able to lift him.
Yet he did. Movie magic, a thing you have to embrace in order to enjoy them.

Quote:
I know, nitpicking... but it comes of sloppy. Don't know. Burton was simply not able to shoot it more convincing. Perhaps a thing with technology. Sadly, the Batman scenes from Nolan are nothing else than people getting pushed away from Batman like punching balls.
Nitpicking, a little of speculation and a bit of 'I refuse to suspend my disbelief' can make a movie just a bunch of actors doing fake stuff.

Quote:
The dress just doesn't fit the party.
You mean the Bruce Wayne party?

Quote:
No. Doesn't impress me at all.
The voice is just the top. All his supernatural monster act is what makes the whisper so threatening.

Quote:
I think they are both funny. Palance is really hamming it up. Intentional or not.
Palance sounded like Palance mpost of the time. Sure, he exaggerated his voice a few times.

Quote:
I do not really know how anyone could have come up with such a characterization, especially in the 80s.
Following the character's story? I mean taking into account the things that happened to him as a child so they can portray him as the result of them. What I don't find compelling about the "classic" Bruce Wayne is how sometimes he just seems to be in complete control of what he does and think. Doesn't strike me as a boy whose parents were horribly and randomly killed in front of him. Because it's clear he hasn't got over that (he dresses as a bat) so it's only natural to assume that sad angry child is still there and probably not very skilled socially.

Quote:
Well, they experience a lot with each other, he saves her life... Vicki Vale and Bruce Wayne don't have any connection like that. And of course, James Cameron sells it a lot better (look at the sex scene) but James Cameron is a vastly superior director.
Well, saving someone's life doesn't necessarily mean love (or many doctors would be the love of many lives), but it's all blurry when you try and rationalize the random, personal and chaotic process of falling in love.

Quote:
It's clearly meant to look like a bat.
If it was to you, what can I say.

Last edited by Senator Pleasury; 07-26-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:00 PM   #803
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
I got an infraction for my response, lol

Reminds of getting in trouble for standing up to a bully in 1st grade.
Next time, just report it and let a mod handle it. When you respond to an offensive comment using the same offensive language you just reported...it's not doing you any favors either.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #804
Travesty
TEOL

Oh, and he can run in the bulky suit. Both he and Vicki ran when they exited the Batmobile after the museum, and it looked fine to me. His cape was flowing. It looked badass.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #805
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Sure as an evil Saturday morning cartoon airing during Christmas lol, but that's not very Batman to me.
It sounds exactly what Batman is: a superhero, crime fighter, protector of innocent, but far from being the classic one, there's always something really twisted and out of common about him as a hero. Like a cartoon that you find is not kid-friendly as you firstly thought.

Quote:
Or at least as an adult it's not what I want to see in a Batman movie or how I envision the character.
Would you really describe Batman as a hero that "fits"? A hero that's classic, attached-to-the-law and conventional?

Quote:
My biggest beef has always been with how Catwoman and Penguin are portrayed. If I want these kinds of villain portrayals, ill watch Spider-Man movies or his cartoons & comics.
How so? Batman has a long tradition in deformed bizarre villains (which bob Kane took from the Dick Tracy comic strips). People who are deformed or that's so deranged they believe they're an animal or some character from a book. It sounds pretty Batman to me.

Quote:
89 kills Returns. And it's a goddamn Batman movie first and foremost.
B89 sounds and feel more like a Baman movie, I agree.

Quote:
LOL it's to make him look like a bat. Even if he's exercising. That's not the point of the imagery. Burton is a visual director and he forces things down your throat in these movies so you know Bruce is like a Bat, which is why he's...Batman. Selina drinks milk, licks herself, has 9 lives....cuz she's a cat..woman! This is how Burton thinks.
LOL, thing is, it's you who makes that image. He's exercising upside down, it is you who interprets it as a bat. What I'm saying is that it's not like he is sleeping that way, or that he has the bat suit on while being upside down.

And no, Bruce is not like a bat, he doesn't eat like one nor is he hairy like one. And Selina is very much into cats, as say Jervis Tetch is so much into Alice in Wonderland he behaves like the Mad Hatter. I mean, in real life you have this guy who had dozens of surgeries on himself just to look like one, THAT is taking it too far.

Quote:
Now, the Keaton upside down scene is so brief that it works. He forces way too much down our throat in the sequel though just to make sure we know this guy over here is a man who is a penguin and a woman who is like a cat.
Well, Penguin apparently spent his baby years with penguins so I guess he got used to low temperatures and fish eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
I think the most ridiculous thing that happened in this movie, was when The Joker shot down The Batwing with one shot. We know The Batmobile is fully armored, but Batman's flying machine is apparently made out of aluminum.
That, or Joker's gun was not a regular one, like his flower is not a regular one either. But yes, you wouldn't say that the gun was enough.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #806
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
That, or Joker's gun was not a regular one, like his flower is not a regular one either. But yes, you wouldn't say that the gun was enough.
Heh, maybe, but it's still a bit funny. It seems a bit out of place to me, but at the same time, I love The Jokers gadgets and guns in this movie. So over the top! One thing I wish TDK-Joker used instead of regular knives and guns.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #807
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Next time, just report it and let a mod handle it. When you respond to an offensive comment using the same offensive language you just reported...it's not doing you any favors either.
Although I used the same words he did, I didn't think I used them with the same tone or downright rudeness (unwarranted name-calling) that he did. Rather, I posed a question that was meant to be somewhat humorous and only slightly offensive. But it's your call and point taken.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #808
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Although I used the same words he did, I didn't think I used them with the same tone or downright rudeness (unwarranted name-calling) that he did. Rather, I posed a question that was meant to be somewhat humorous and only slightly offensive. But it's your call and point taken.
Maybe the "only slightly offensive" is why you got only an infraction and he got probation.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #809
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

If you're trying to insult someone, you gotta either be more subtle or less bashful in it.

Though sometimes you can get away with it. I once straight up called thebumwhowalks a piece of s**t and got away with it. Then again, it was thebumwhowalks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #810
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
If you're trying to insult someone, you gotta either be more subtle or less bashful in it.

Though sometimes you can get away with it. I once straight up called thebumwhowalks a piece of s**t and got away with it. Then again, it was thebumwhowalks.
You just know Sawyer is not searching for that post to report it.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 07-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #811
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post

Or maybe it just wasn't seen and or reported.

There have been a bunch of times that I have given an infraction to someone for saying something or posting something offensive....and they reply that they had done it before and not got infracted....and i check their post history, and lo and behold they had done it before...and they got a new infraction.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #812
shauner111
Side-Kick

Just bought this bad boy on Blu-Ray today. Finally! Really looking forward to watching it real soon and seeing how clear it looks. I have a good sound setup too so it should be awesome.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #813
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post

There have been a bunch of times that I have given an infraction to someone for saying something or posting something offensive....and they reply that they had done it before and not got infracted....and i check their post history, and lo and behold they had done it before...and they got a new infraction.

I want a statute of limitations rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #814
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Maybe the "only slightly offensive" is why you got only an infraction and he got probation.
Awesome, thanks!

As a side-note, I guess the Hype is not in favor of "Stand Your Ground" laws...

Old 07-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #815
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
Just bought this bad boy on Blu-Ray today. Finally! Really looking forward to watching it real soon and seeing how clear it looks. I have a good sound setup too so it should be awesome.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #816
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Heh, maybe, but it's still a bit funny. It seems a bit out of place to me, but at the same time, I love The Jokers gadgets and guns in this movie. So over the top! One thing I wish TDK-Joker used instead of regular knives and guns.
I love pretty much everything about Nicholson's Joker.

One of the best "Batman" moments is when Vicki splashes Joker (in flesh colored makeup) with water and he pretends to be "melting". After Vicki shows some concern, he turns to her and screams "Boo!" an starts laughing with his makeup streaming down his face, just as Batman crashes through the skylight and the music kicks in. Pure excellence.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #817
Travesty
TEOL

Quote:
I love pretty much everything about Nicholson's Joker.

One of the best "Batman" moments is when Vicki splashes Joker (in flesh colored makeup) with water and he pretends to be "melting". After Vicki shows some concern, he turns to her and screams "Boo!" an starts laughing with his makeup streaming down his face, just as Batman crashes through the skylight and the music kicks in. Pure excellence.
It's one of the best Batman moments ever.

I remember when I was a kid being pretty confused about his face. I didn't know that he was always perma-white. I had always thought The Joker put on the white makeup. I had no idea he put on flesh colored makeup to go to the museum.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #818
regwec
Shakespearo

Remember when we still hoped Ledger's Joker was wearing flesh toned makeup over bleached white skin? Heady days.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #819
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

Quote:
Oh, and he can run in the bulky suit. Both he and Vicki ran when they exited the Batmobile after the museum, and it looked fine to me. His cape was flowing. It looked badass.
I think it looks a little silly since I can see him holding the edges of the cape.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #820
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
I think it looks a little silly since I can see him holding the edges of the cape.
He's Batman. He can do whatever he wants.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #821
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
He's Batman. He can do whatever he wants.
LMAO most epic post ever.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #822
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I'd only do that if I disagreed. Parker had bum dead to rights.

Oh, what's that, America? You love Chris Pratt? Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see the overnight ratings for this upcoming season of Parks and Recreation for me to determine how full of **** you are about that.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #823
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

The bit with the Bat signal lit in the sky and Batman standing high is awesome, and pretty iconic
My problem with it is Batman was a wanted man through the entire movie, then he killed the Joker, sent his signal to the cops and gave them a letter with his hand writing, then they just take it. Goes against Vikki Vale replying to Batman saying "He's a maniac" with "People say the same about you"

With Batman Begins at least Batman saved the city from the chaos it was in, Gordon worked with him, so them making a bat signal for him is understandable

Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #824
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
The bit with the Bat signal lit in the sky and Batman standing high is awesome, and pretty iconic
My problem with it is Batman was a wanted man through the entire movie, then he killed the Joker, sent his signal to the cops and gave them a letter with his hand writing, then they just take it. Goes against Vikki Vale replying to Batman saying "He's a maniac" with "People say the same about you"

With Batman Begins at least Batman saved the city from the chaos it was in, Gordon worked with him, so them making a bat signal for him is understandable
it made sense to me, but i may have to watch it again!

Old 07-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #825
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:

I thought mods were flawless machines without feelings

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Closed Thread