The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #601
Mightyally
Mr Arcade
 
Mightyally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,178
Default Re: Kurse!

In my book Thor did his worst fight ever becaue he was desperate and lost his hammer before having the chance to hit Kurse with it. They intentionally portratyed Thor weaker against Kurse and Mjolnir as well since Kurse had the chance to repel the hammer standing with both feet on the ground opposed to Hulk who was in midair.

Give Hulk the same circumstances, which would mean no Mjolnir, and he´d wreck Thor even more than Kurse did with all those blows. Hulk is as strong or stronger than Kurse and in a fight Kurse and Thor would beat Hulk but we all know Hulk just gets angrier and stronger so I don´t see anyone stopping him unless they

1. Use their size to to get a firm grip around his neck and simply use their brute strength, just as Hulk did to abomination but that would men extra tools because neither Kurse nor Thor are big enough to wrestle that way with the Hulk.

2. Knock him out before he gets mad enough, yeah, that´s not gonna happen.

3. Hulk brings Kurse down despite his -about the same powerlevels- and skills as a warrior. Sure Kurse would at first land harder and more tactical blows to Hulk than Hulk to Kurse but what good does it do,
if anything it boosts Hulk´s rage thus making him faster, stronger, wilder and harder to repel each time.

Thor on the other hand can fly which gives him the posibility to escape Hulk every now and then as well as test new approaches. He could also use his wheather manipulation more and repeatadely,
thx to his speed, bash Hulk´s head with Mjolnir but I´ll tell you, the second that hammer goes away, he is done and would fare much worse than Kurse would.

In other words, Thor could probably hold up against Hulk and maybe even land so many lightning storms that Hulk would loose but Kurse would be smashed eventually.
Kurse on the other hand would never let Thor escape with hammer the way Hulk would because his warrior qualities would that advantage away at an early stage.


Last edited by Mightyally; 02-15-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Mightyally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #602
seahammer
Side-Kick
 
seahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Navigating the Sea of Space
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyally View Post
In my book Thor did his worst fight ever becaue he was desperate and lost his hammer before having the chance to hit Kurse with it. They intentionally portratyed Thor weaker against Kurse and Mjolnir as well since Kurse had the chance to repel the hammer standing with both feet on the ground...
Do you guys think Kurse had a special resistance to Mjolnir, and Asgardian magic in general?

Consider this:
When Malekith gave Algrim the "kurse" capsule, he said something like "no power our enemies possess can stop you." I'd like to know more about that capsule that creates "the kursed." Is it a small piece of the Aether somehow contained? If so, that only adds to the possibility that Kurse is particularly immune to Asgardian magic (or at least Thor's lightning), since the Aether could no be harmed or destroyed by Thor, or Bor for that matter.
And come to think of it, we saw Kurse break through the Asgardian prison cell. It could have been through brute strength alone, but it could also have something to do with the power of the Aether, which is a sort of opposing force to Asgardian magic/tech/what-have-you.

Thoughts?

__________________
The World Still Needs Heroes

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #603
sabetoonth
Who?
 
sabetoonth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,215
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
Do you guys think Kurse had a special resistance to Mjolnir, and Asgardian magic in general?

Consider this:
When Malekith gave Algrim the "kurse" capsule, he said something like "no power our enemies possess can stop you." I'd like to know more about that capsule that creates "the kursed." Is it a small piece of the Aether somehow contained? If so, that only adds to the possibility that Kurse is particularly immune to Asgardian magic (or at least Thor's lightning), since the Aether could no be harmed or destroyed by Thor, or Bor for that matter.
And come to think of it, we saw Kurse break through the Asgardian prison cell. It could have been through brute strength alone, but it could also have something to do with the power of the Aether, which is a sort of opposing force to Asgardian magic/tech/what-have-you.

Thoughts?
I had very similar thoughts when I saw the movie, dont they glow red like the Aether briefly when crushed too?

__________________
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
sabetoonth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #604
seahammer
Side-Kick
 
seahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Navigating the Sea of Space
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabetoonth View Post
I had very similar thoughts when I saw the movie, dont they glow red like the Aether briefly when crushed too?
Exactly. I wish I could find a picture of it online, but that's exactly how it looks to me.

__________________
The World Still Needs Heroes

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #605
Mightyally
Mr Arcade
 
Mightyally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,178
Default Re: Kurse!

^
I t´s a really cool thought my friend! I have no idea I just know my reason for why the Hulk flew around like a glove against Mjolnir while Kurse did not, was because he was calm and heard/sensed it comming thus was able to put his might and repel it with the shoulder and in other ways (hard to see how he did it the first time, probably with some tactical blow from the side).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=advsN-DfY2k
Hulk lacks tactic and isn´t prepared for Mjolnir which is a result of his low intelligence. This puts him in a position where the hammer is in the hand of Thor and sort of hits him in the air, thus giving him zero chance to repel.

The only time someone take the full might of the hammer with lightning and whilst actually in the hand of Thor, is when Malekith is boosted by the Aether but by then he´s too powerful. That hit tho was insane. I just watched that scene, it shatters windows far away because there is a shockwave. EPIC!


Last edited by Mightyally; 02-15-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Mightyally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #606
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument
 
Mjölnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,818
Default Re: Kurse!

I don't think there's any need to try to figure out why Kurse did better than Hulk other than that Kurse is stronger (as well as more adept at fighting of cours). That's the case in the comics since Thor and Hulk generally fight fairly even fights overall (that's with Thor holding back on mortals and not using all his powers) but Kurse was made to be clearly too much for Thor.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #607
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
I don't think there's any need to try to figure out why Kurse did better than Hulk other than that Kurse is stronger (as well as more adept at fighting of cours). That's the case in the comics since Thor and Hulk generally fight fairly even fights overall (that's with Thor holding back on mortals and not using all his powers) but Kurse was made to be clearly too much for Thor.
I'm with you Kurse just seemed so much stronger than Hulk, even if he didn't have a "Leviathan punching" feat. Honestly, I'm pretty sure no one really believes Kurse couldn't do the same if he needed too.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #608
seahammer
Side-Kick
 
seahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Navigating the Sea of Space
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
I don't think there's any need to try to figure out why Kurse did better than Hulk other than that Kurse is stronger (as well as more adept at fighting of cours). That's the case in the comics since Thor and Hulk generally fight fairly even fights overall (that's with Thor holding back on mortals and not using all his powers) but Kurse was made to be clearly too much for Thor.
I definitely think Kurse is stronger than the Hulk, and more durable as well (how many times did he get stabbed, impaled, etc), not to mention the fact that he also "burned" the Asgardians faces just by grabbing them (I say burned, but it might have to do with Aether-powers).

I just want to clarify that what I mentioned above about the origin of Kurse's powers (that little shard that he breaks to transform coming from the Aether) was not related to the Kurse vs. Hulk discussion, but just a general comment on a theory I had regarding Kurse.

EDIT: I just realized I just used a lot of parentheses. Sorry!

__________________
The World Still Needs Heroes

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #609
Mightyally
Mr Arcade
 
Mightyally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,178
Default Re: Kurse!

Hehe np, I do it too sometimes

It´s really an interesting thought and I wonder why he didn´t use the burning effect on Thor!?

Most people are against me on this Hulk-Kurse thing so I´ll stop. There are however reasons for why I deem Hulk stronger. It´s not because I´m a huge Hulk fan and try to find reasons aftwerwards why Hulk would win. When I saw TDW I had just analyzed the Thor-Hulk fight in TA and despite all the ass-kicking Kurse did, I found Hulk as strong or stronger in terms of powers because the circustances intentionally portratyed Kurse powers even stronger against Thor.


Last edited by Mightyally; 02-16-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Mightyally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:27 PM   #610
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument
 
Mjölnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,818
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I'm with you Kurse just seemed so much stronger than Hulk, even if he didn't have a "Leviathan punching" feat. Honestly, I'm pretty sure no one really believes Kurse couldn't do the same if he needed too.
While it's not certain how literal you can take it, Malekith also says that the power Algrim gets is so strong that nothing that the Asgardians have can stop him.

We do of course also see some kursed get killed in the prologue though, but Kurse seem to take a lot less note of being stabbed through his body than they did so perhaps his power was greater.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #611
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
While it's not certain how literal you can take it, Malekith also says that the power Algrim gets is so strong that nothing that the Asgardians have can stop him.

We do of course also see some kursed get killed in the prologue though, but Kurse seem to take a lot less note of being stabbed through his body than they did so perhaps his power was greater.
Kurse seemed A LOT more powerful than the Kursed at the beginning of the film.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:04 PM   #612
Mightyally
Mr Arcade
 
Mightyally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,178
Default Re: Kurse!

^yes, kinda weird actually.

Mightyally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #613
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyally View Post
^yes, kinda weird actually.
Very weird and if I'm not mistaken the Kursed at the beginning were a lot bigger than Algrim's Kurse.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:28 PM   #614
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,426
Default Re: Kurse!

I don't think its that Algrim was enormously stronger than the prior Kursed. Rather, the prior Kursed were facing battle-hardened Asgardian soldiers trained and equipped to fight their kind. Algrim faced soldiers relatively unblooded, and with no forewarning of what they would be fighting, so they had no chance to prepare weapons or tactics against him.

metaphysician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:02 PM   #615
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I don't think its that Algrim was enormously stronger than the prior Kursed. Rather, the prior Kursed were facing battle-hardened Asgardian soldiers trained and equipped to fight their kind. Algrim faced soldiers relatively unblooded, and with no forewarning of what they would be fighting, so they had no chance to prepare weapons or tactics against him.
This could be the case, but they just looked flat out stronger to me.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #616
Mightyally
Mr Arcade
 
Mightyally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,178
Default Re: Kurse!

Did anyone notice how huge Malekith became as he devoured the Aether?

Mightyally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #617
seahammer
Side-Kick
 
seahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Navigating the Sea of Space
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyally View Post
Did anyone notice how huge Malekith became as he devoured the Aether?
Yes! I just noticed it when I rewatched it, and I thought I was seeing things since I never noticed it when I watched it in the theaters. I'm glad you said this because I thought I was imagining it. It's so hard to see, but when Thor confronts malekith in the Aether cloud, malekith has grown much larger. I wish they had made it more clear, though.

__________________
The World Still Needs Heroes

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #618
Mightyally
Mr Arcade
 
Mightyally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,178
Default Re: Kurse!

Yes. There is actaully a scene just after Thor gets on that train where you sort of see Malekith stand below the converging circles/worlds and you get a view of him from above. If you listen for it you´ll here the sound of someone growing. Almost like stretching rubber but sort of cooler and, more like magical tranformation sound + they made him grow but one might mistake it for the camera moving towards him or something.

Mightyally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #619
seahammer
Side-Kick
 
seahammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Navigating the Sea of Space
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyally View Post
Yes. There is actaully a scene just after Thor gets on that train where you sort of see Malekith stand below the converging circles/worlds and you get a view of him from above. If you listen for it you´ll here the sound of someone growing. Almost like stretching rubber but sort of cooler and, more like magical tranformation sound + they made him grow but one might mistake it for the camera moving towards him or something.
That's what I thought at first, too. When I rewatched it, I replayed it a few times until I was sure what was really happening.

__________________
The World Still Needs Heroes

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #620
sabetoonth
Who?
 
sabetoonth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,215
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
This could be the case, but they just looked flat out stronger to me.
If the Kursed stones/tablets have a connection to the Aether, maybe the fact there was only one might also have something to do with it? Maybe they draw some sort of energy for the transformation? I jut had this thought so kinda just putting it out there. Like how assuming the Tesseract powers the spear and its gem isnt an Infinity Stone. So if you have one Kursed, there's more power drawn from the Aether for the transformation.

The reality? Probably not but I'm puttin it out there.

__________________
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
sabetoonth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #621
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument
 
Mjölnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,818
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I don't think its that Algrim was enormously stronger than the prior Kursed. Rather, the prior Kursed were facing battle-hardened Asgardian soldiers trained and equipped to fight their kind. Algrim faced soldiers relatively unblooded, and with no forewarning of what they would be fighting, so they had no chance to prepare weapons or tactics against him.
Malekith says that the power Algrim gets will be too strong for any power the enemy possess before he's seen the modern day Asgardians though, so he seems pretty confident in that Kurse. Asgard also has more power than battle hardened soldiers.

There are some possible explanations but the movie doesn't give enough information to be able to decide which is the right one.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #622
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,091
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
Malekith says that the power Algrim gets will be too strong for any power the enemy possess before he's seen the modern day Asgardians though, so he seems pretty confident in that Kurse. Asgard also has more power than battle hardened soldiers.

There are some possible explanations but the movie doesn't give enough information to be able to decide which is the right one.
Yep I'm taking that as Kurse being more powerful than the Kursed in the opening. Sabentooth's idea also makes perfect sense it's probably why Kurse was more powerful than his bretheren.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #623
warriorking
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 340
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
That's what I thought at first, too. When I rewatched it, I replayed it a few times until I was sure what was really happening.
Same here , thought I was seeing things and sure enough Malekith had grown quite a bit, he looked nearly 20 feet tall....
Man I love seeing all the little things you miss at the theatres...

warriorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #624
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument
 
Mjölnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,818
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
That's what I thought at first, too. When I rewatched it, I replayed it a few times until I was sure what was really happening.
I also think it shows that he's huge when his arm is teleported to Svartalfheim, since the sound and visible weight to it is more than what you'd expect from a normal-sized arm.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #625
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument
 
Mjölnir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,818
Default Re: Kurse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Yep I'm taking that as Kurse being more powerful than the Kursed in the opening. Sabentooth's idea also makes perfect sense it's probably why Kurse was more powerful than his bretheren.
Yes, it's definitely one of the possible solutions that make sense. It's also good to remember Malekith's words even when it comes to Thor's power level since while he does get beaten up it's by a being that's created to be stronger than anything in Asgard. It also makes some sense as to why he could deflect Mjolnir, even if I think the fight might have been a bit different if Thor knew what he was up against.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.