The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #51
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Default Re: Lance Armstrong stripped of Tour De France titles.

Not surprising at all. Like I said months ago, its very likely he doped but the investigation was over the top and we've yet to see the "evidence" USADA had on him. Lance coming clean is what he should have done in the first place. Doesn't change the fact that he won those races IMO. When the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on guy is also a dirty cheat or being investigated as well, it kind of puts the whole deal in perspective.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #52
brett66
user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
You were saying, Doctor Lee?

[sarcasm] See, but it doesn't matter if you cheat if everyone else does [/sarcasm]

brett66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #53
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Lance coming clean is what he should have done in the first place.
I heard he took confession-enhancing drugs that helped him cry on cue.

Or...tear-doping...?

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #54
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

By this time I don't think fans owe him anymore support, regardless if he's openly confessed or not. If his friends continue to support him that's their business because they're his friends.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:03 PM   #55
Burgundy LaRue
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Looks like old Lance is finally going to confess on Oprah.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...de-France.html

I expect the guys Armstrong bullied, manipulated and threw under the bus to save his own neck to try and sue the hell out of him.
Oprah has said that to her, Armstrong seemed 'very ready' for their interview--meaning that his lawyers prepped him as not to say anything to get him sued. And even if he is, I imagine he's moved most of his assets into double-secret accounts. Good luck getting much out of Lance.

Burgundy LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #56
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbull23 View Post
They may be able to strip him of his titles but they will never be able to devalue him or his contributions to cancer research. Over 500 million dollars raised for cancer research.
I work in cancer research and nobody I work with knows where any of the cancer research money from charities goes. Most of our money still comes from the NIH, ie your tax dollars.

I think his main contribution has been awareness and inspiration for cancer survivors. For someone who had advanced stage cancer and went through chemo (which is utter hell, by all accounts) and came back to win the most grueling race in humankind seven times....DAMN. I mean, even if he did dope, that's still an amazing feat. He still needed to put in the hours and training, which is proof that surviving cancer doesn't have to slow you down or make you a victim.

To be fair, I still think he's an a-hole, but even a-holes can have an inspiring side you can learn from.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #57
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I am very interested in watching these two Lance-Oprah interviews.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #58
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
I work in cancer research and nobody I work with knows where any of the cancer research money from charities goes. Most of our money still comes from the NIH, ie your tax dollars.

I think his main contribution has been awareness and inspiration for cancer survivors. For someone who had advanced stage cancer and went through chemo (which is utter hell, by all accounts) and came back to win the most grueling race in humankind seven times....DAMN. I mean, even if he did dope, that's still an amazing feat. He still needed to put in the hours and training, which is proof that surviving cancer doesn't have to slow you down or make you a victim.

To be fair, I still think he's an a-hole, but even a-holes can have an inspiring side you can learn from.
Like lying about cheating and conspiring to cover it up? Certainly deserves some kudos for having the cajones to pull it off...until he got caught.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 01-15-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #59
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Like lying about cheating and conspiring to cover it up? Certainly deserves some kudos for having the cajones to pull it off...until he got caught.
Or at least the cojon.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #60
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Cojonide?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #61
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I'd like to see a video of all of his denials one after another with whatever confession he gives Oprah tacked on at the end.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #62
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

With a Mili Vanili soundtrack.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #63
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Also, they renamed Livestrong Sporting Park in KC to just Sporting Park.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #64
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

Looks like Lance is going to have a tough time getting into the baseball Hall Of Fame on the first ballot now.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #65
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
He still had to put in the work. Joe Schmoe lying on the couch can't take EPO and automatically win the Tour de France seven times.

So you take the part where he didn't feel sorry for himself after he got cancer, got his ass in gear and trained, and use it as the life lesson. Not any of the other stuff. Revere the act, not the person, cause nobody's perfect and all your heroes will let you down if you revere them as gods.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #66
The Apocalypse
Pokeballin'

Quote:
He still had to put in the work. Joe Schmoe lying on the couch can't take EPO and automatically win the Tour de France seven times.

So you take the part where he didn't feel sorry for himself after he got cancer, got his ass in gear and trained, and use it as the life lesson. Not any of the other stuff. Revere the act, not the person, cause nobody's perfect and all your heroes will let you down if you revere them as gods.
Who cares about the training. It's just cycling. NO ONE actually gives a damn about it. They just gave a damn about him and his story of overcoming cancer. It's a shame very good people die fighting cancer. This piece of crap survives, continues taking the PED's, lies about it, sues people over accusing him of it, ruining a bunch of peoples lives, gets accused some more, finally gets caught, and now because he can't weasel his way out of this one wants to 'come clean'. Screw this scumbag.

The only good that probably came out of this was the money donated to cancer research. Even though Livestrong was just a front for his lying.

The Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #67
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apocalypse View Post
Who cares about the training. It's just cycling. NO ONE actually gives a damn about it. They just gave a damn about him and his story of overcoming cancer. It's a shame very good people die fighting cancer. This piece of crap survives, continues taking the PED's, lies about it, sues people over accusing him of it, ruining a bunch of peoples lives, gets accused some more, finally gets caught, and now because he can't weasel his way out of this one wants to 'come clean'. Screw this scumbag.

The only good that probably came out of this was the money donated to cancer research. Even though Livestrong was just a front for his lying.
Cancer patients do. When you're getting chemo, throwing up and having lost 50 lbs with no strength at all, remembering that Lance Armstrong came back from all of this, even if he doped to win, can be inspiring. I have a friend undergoing chemo, he's 31 and needs a cane to walk. Even then, he can't go very far. It's almost impossible to imagine that one day you could be better than ever when you're in such a state.

Did Armstrong aim to be such a role model? Probably not. He likely just wanted to win. But what he accomplished in the wake of cancer shouldn't be thrown under the bus like it was trash, because it still can be inspiring.

He can still be an a-hole though. Doesn't discount what he did.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #68
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I don't think Armstrong is a piece of crap or scum like say Michael Vick is scum. But he is a liar and a fraud. I mean, human nature I suppose.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #69
Ghostvirus
Side-Kick

I would have had no problem with Lance taking PED's if he had told the truth out the gate. The fact he lied & belittled those that claimed he did is what is sickening to me.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #70
Ghostvirus
Side-Kick

Its also a sad day when A man who over came cancer & won numerous competitive events. Gets treated worse than say I don't know a dog killer like Michael Vick.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #71
Anubis
Sup?

I think everybody should take PEDs. Certainly would make watching a buncha dudes riding around France in nut hugging shorts more interesting.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 AM   #72
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
And still cheated, denied, and covered up while doing it. Hooray for his (chemically aided) talent.

Quote:
See above. At this point we can't just selectively pick and choose what to praise in this case and what to look past. What he has done is dishonor and diminish it all now, since it so heavily relied on the attention his dishonest success as a cycler got him.

You can look at a Mob Boss giving money to a community or charity, but can't look past the crimes he committed to attain that money, and the veil of legitimacy that he's trying to put up with it. There's no altruism here in either case.

The most moral and honest thing that we can do is acknowledge the shame he has brought upon all of his efforts with this admission which, by the way, he's not doing out of moral obligation to truth, but because he has no other way out. he can't run from it any more, otherwise he still would be. I'm not saying he's a scumbag...but he is a liar, a cheater, and a conspirator. And if there's one right thing for him to do here, it's that he acknowledges and accepts that as how all of history will know Lance Armstrong as. Not saying we should hunt down and hang him for it...but in no way should he be primarily known as anything less. If he's as driven/devoted/etc as he claims to be, he should prove it now by facing up to this and accepting it. Cycle symbol of success, over. Symbol for cancer survival, over. Livestrong, over. There's nothing there to applaud anymore just as we can't applaud whatever charities that Bernie Madoff may have donated to. From now on, it's Lance Armstrong, cautionary tale of what not to do. That's where his future of positive (i.e. deterrent) influence lies from here on.

Other than that, maybe a reality show somewhere down the line.

Last edited by KalMart; 01-16-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 AM   #73
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Armstrong overcoming cancer and still training and working hard doesn't absolve him of cheating.

Look, I don't have a problem with PED's as much as everyone else, but they are against the rules. If you don't follow the rules and you get caught it's on you.

I don't think this should be a congressional or government regulated issue, but whatever. I don't think it's government's job to protect integrity of pro sports or whatever.

But Armstrong messed up. I won't condemn the guy, I don't know what is truly in his heart, but he still broke the rules.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 AM   #74
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
Armstrong overcoming cancer and still training and working hard doesn't absolve him of cheating.

Look, I don't have a problem with PED's as much as everyone else, but they are against the rules. If you don't follow the rules and you get caught it's on you.

I don't think this should be a congressional or government regulated issue, but whatever. I don't think it's government's job to protect integrity of pro sports or whatever.

But Armstrong messed up. I won't condemn the guy, I don't know what is truly in his heart, but he still broke the rules.
I'm not saying that Armstrong deserves a pass with the cheating. He doesn't. He made a terrible decision, and you have to wonder if he regrets any of it, considering his name is forever tarnished now.

But I don't believe this negates everything that Livestrong stands for.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 AM   #75
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostvirus View Post
I would have had no problem with Lance taking PED's if he had told the truth out the gate. The fact he lied & belittled those that claimed he did is what is sickening to me.
I think your spot on. Its not even the fact he cheated and took PED's because alot of cyclists of his era did. Its the fact he viciously went after anyone who tried to call him out on his cheating by bullying them, destroying reputations or suing.

If he just admitted it straight up people would of been more forgiving instead of him doing everything to save his own neck while feeding everyone else to the wolves which is the actions of a selfish coward in my eyes.

Current Tour De France and Olympic champion Bradley Wiggins said 90s cycling is a write off now.