The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

View Poll Results: What was your favorite game of 2013?
Animal Crossing: New Leaf 0 0%
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag 1 4.35%
Battlefield 4 0 0%
Batman: Arkham Origins 0 0%
Beyond: Two Souls 0 0%
BioShock Infinite 4 17.39%
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified 0 0%
Company of Heroes 2 0 0%
Dead Rising 3 0 0%
Dead Space 3 0 0%
DmC: Devil May Cry 1 4.35%
Fire Emblem Awakening 0 0%
Gears of War: Judgment 0 0%
God of War: Ascension 0 0%
Gone Home 0 0%
Grand Theft Auto V 9 39.13%
Killzone: Shadow Fall 0 0%
The Last of Us 6 26.09%
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 0 0%
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon 0 0%
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team 0 0%
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance 0 0%
Metro: Last Light 0 0%
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch 0 0%
Papers, Please 0 0%
Pikmin 3 0 0%
Pokémon X and Y 0 0%
Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus 0 0%
Rayman Legends 0 0%
Resogun 0 0%
Ryse: Son of Rome 0 0%
Saints Row IV 0 0%
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time 0 0%
Soul Sacrifice 1 4.35%
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm 0 0%
Super Mario 3D World 1 4.35%
Tales of Xillia 0 0%
Tearaway 0 0%
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
Soapy
It's happening again...

Default Superhero Hype! Game of the Year 2013

Now that the new consoles and their respective exclusives are out, I guess it's time for our annual game of the year thread. As always, feel free to use this thread to discuss other site's game of the year coverage as well.

Below are some of the usual categories for people to fill out.

Best Action Game
Best RPG
Best Puzzle, Adventure, or Platformer Game
Best Downloadable Game
Best DLC or Expansion
Best PS4 and/or XBONE Exclusive Launch Game
Best Game That Isn't A Sequel
Best Game You Played That Didn't Come Out This Year
Most Disappointing Game of the Year
Best Soundtrack
Best New Character
Best Story
Overall Game of the Year

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Default Re: Superhero Hype! Game of the Year 2013

Best Action Game

Assassin's Creed 4

Runner-up: Tomb Raider

Papers, Please

Best Downloadable Game

Papers, Please

Runner up: State of Decay

Best DLC or Expansion

Mass Effect 3: Citadel

Runner-up: Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea

Papers, Please

Runner-up: State of Decay

Remember Me

Runner-up: Battlefield 4

Best Soundtrack

Bioshock Infinite

Runner-up: Remember Me

Best New Character

Booker DeWitt

Runner-up: Elizabeth

Best Story

Papers, Please

Overall Game of the Year

Bioshock Infinite

Runner up: Papers Please, State of Decay

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.

Last edited by Upset Spideyfan; 11-28-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Upset Spideyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

This thread needs a' bumpin'!

So I'm gonna do a top 10 on this because I love top 10s, but I'll include some other awards below too. I had a good year although I have to admit that I struggled to come up with 10 games I thought were truly worthy of being recognized. I had to allow myself two 'remakes' because I liked them so much.

10. rymdkapsel - Given how simple rymdkapsel is, it's a marvel how much time I spent with it. It's the RTS genre chopped down to the very basics (even visually) and sprinkled with a little tower defense magic. I fully recommend it to anyone with a Vita/smartphone.

9. Velocity Ultra - I think the original Velocity probably made this list last year and Ultra really reminded me why. It's remade with everything but the kitchen sink thrown in. One of the most unique and brilliant shoot em ups to come around in recent years.

8. Tearaway - One of the best things about Tearaway's brilliance is that it confirms Media Molecule wasn't a fluke. In fact, I think this Vita platformer is leaps and bounds ahead of either LittleBigPlanet, with something to make you smile around every corner. It's how AAA gaming should be done on the system.

7. Pokemon X - I'll admit I probably only saw the very basics of what X had to offer, but that's still enough to place it here. This is a sprawling, beautiful adventure that's only gotten better as I've grown up.

6. BioShock Infinite - Personally I enjoyed Infinite a great deal more than the original game. It's one of the best realised game worlds out there and the story was absolutely fascinating.

5. Dead Space 3 - I was prepared for Isaac's return to be as underwhelming as critics stated, but I ended up having the same amazing time with Dead Space 3 that I did the other two. If you put the difficulty up and turn the lights off this is still a fantastically tense shooter that can get my heart pumping like few other games.

4. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - Brothers caught me off guard. It hadn't been ranted or raved about, and I assumed it would be a pretty mediocre game that tried something new. What I got was perhaps the most inventive adventure of the year, with a fantastic imagination and strong heart. Towards the end it crosses into unforgettable territory.

3. Muramasa Rebirth - Thank god this found is way off of the Wii. On Vita, Muramasa absolutely shines with its razor-sharp combat system that has you commit to every block, every dodge and every attack. I beat this game on the hardest difficulty without getting hit - a challenge that I'd only attempt with something with such rock solid mechanics. Seek this out if you have a Vita.

2. The Last Of Us - I love Uncharted with all my heart and soul, but The Last Of Us saw Naughty Dog rescue their name as a game developer. Smart mechanics that make every scrap an intense struggle, astounding visuals that rival some PS4/One titles and the most mature, intelligent story that gaming's told in recent years. Scenes in The Last Of Us will stay with me forever.

1. Soul Sacrifice - I was not expecting to love Soul Sacrifice anywhere near as much as I did. But take a Dark Souls-style tone, apply it to a Monster Hunter setup and include accessible four player co-op and you have a winner. I spent about 100 hours pouring through the side-missions. Towards the end of the game where boss battles start taking upwards of an hour, you'll create some really awesome gaming memories all by yourself. God bless Soul Sacrifce.

Biggest Surprises - Given my utter hatred for the bearing plot holes and dull characters of Heavy Rain, imagine my surprise to find that I actually got a kick out of Beyond: Two Souls. It's far from perfect, but Cage's sci-fi quest did much more for me than the failed attempt at human drama. Jodie is a great protagonist and game game puts you in some really interesting scenarios.

Biggest Dissapointments - I knew it would be average but given the potential a character like Deadpool has for gaming, I was still disappointed by High Moon's effort. It's a likable title with a lot of laughs but if makes so many jokes about the genre and medium conventions that it's conforming too you start thinking "So why didn't you do it differently?". It's the bog standard in every respect.

I was also expecting more of Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, given the praise. It's an utterly charming epic, but ridiculously easy and rather unengaging as a whole. I spent about 80 hours with it and beat the campaign, so it's not like I didn't like it. It just didn't challenge me.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
KevanG
Brony

I've played maybe 10% of the games on the list.

I'd give it to Bioshock infinite with AC4 behind it.

#saveWontkinsMom
KevanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant

While I think that the best game of 2013 was The Last of Us, my favorite game was DmC: Devil May Cry. I just had way too much fun with this one, more than the others.

Jick09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Soapy
It's happening again...

Bump

Quote:
Best Action Game

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Ever since the first Metal Gear Solid came out pretty much every Metal Gear fan demanded a spin-off or a sequel where you got to play as a badass cyborg ninja. Well, Metal Gear Rising delivered in spades. The combat is fast and intensely satisfying, when the story isn't busy being cheesy in the best way possible, Raiden is getting some actually kind of interesting character development. The game is admittedly light on content, but the excellent gameplay more than makes up for it.

If you want to look at Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, 3, and 4 as a four-course meal, then Rising is some tasty desert indeed.

Runner-up: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Quote:
Best RPG

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Until Awakening, my only experience with the Fire Emblem games was through Marth and Roy in Super Smash Bros. Melee. I always had a really vague idea of what the series was, I was just never all that interested in trying it out. It was a turn-based tactical RPG, and it had a small but passionate fanbase.

Outside of a very small handful of games (namely Advance Wars and Final Fantasy Tactics) I was never into tactical RPGs. I also wasn't crazy about turn-based games. However, thanks to games like Valkyria Chronicles and XCOM: Enemy Unknown, I very quickly began to warm up to those sorts of games. I'm very glad I had a change of heart because I never would have played the excellent Fire Emblem: Awakening and turn-based tactics wouldn't have become of my very favorite genres.

Runner-up: Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Quote:
Best Action-Adventure Game

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Ever since games were able to render believable 3D worlds, ever since open-world gaming was a thing, I've wanted an awesome pirate game. I'm glad to say that Black Flag, for the most part, is that game I've always wanted. Mostly. It's regrettable that it had to come in the form of an Assassin's Creed game, as all the piratey stuff is awesome and by far the worst parts of the game are the "Assassin's Creed-isms" let's call them. The assassin/templar bull****, the free-running, the simplistic automated combat, the modern day crap, oh good lord that modern stuff is just the worst, all of it. All of that stuff isn't just...less than great, but it feels kind of out of place in this cool pirate game. It's ALMOST like Ubisoft wants to make a pirate game franchise and used Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag as a backdoor pilot of sorts... Hmm...

Runner-up: Grand Theft Auto V
Quote:
Best Downloadable Game

Warframe

Warframe is one of (if not the) first free-to-play games that really "gets it" I think. Because it isn't an MMO, the gameplay isn't decided by dice-rolls on auto-targeted attacks. It's a third person shooter/hack 'n slash game, so it's immediately fun. They pretty much nailed the "play" part of the equation. The "pay" part of it was handled equally well. To my knowledge, everything you can buy with real money in the game, can also be crafted with in-game materials without too much fuss.

As for the game itself, it's a fast and acrobatic third-person action game. You shoot, you sneak, you space magic, you cut people in half with your sword. The level design is really great and harkens back to an earlier era of video games when we weren't constantly being dragged by the nose down a linear corridor. The art design in the game is exquisite, and they've built an original and interesting new science fiction universe to play in.

Runner-up: Resogun
Quote:
Best DLC or Expansion

Civilization V: Brave New World

When Sid Meier's Civilization V originally came out in 2010, it was slightly disappointing. Taken on it's own it was a great game, however it lacked quite a few of the features that made its predecessors such a hit. Now, with Brave New World, Firaxis has added a wealth of new gameplay mechanics, units, technologies, civilizations, campaigns, and victory conditions transforming an already fantastic (though disappointing) game into, in my opinion, without doubt the best in the series.
Quote:

Warframe

With Warframe, Digital Extremes has crafted a really interesting and unique science fiction world. The story in Warframe is very minimalistic, but the lore is pretty cool, and I would love to see them expand upon it and make more games in this universe.

Additionally, the gameplay of Warframe is a really neat mix of shooting, powers, and melee. It feels a little loose at times, but I think in future games they could really refine it and make it sing.

Runner-up: Resogun
Quote:
Best Game You Played That Didn't Come Out This Year

Super Mario 3D Land

This is the game that single-handedly got me to buy a Nintendo 3DS, and if that was the only game I ever played for it, I think it still would have been worth the purchase.

A lot people have grown a bit cynical about Mario in recent years, and probably rightfully so. Those "New" Super Mario Bros. are honestly some of the most half-assed games I've seen come out of Nintendo, and they released a bunch of them in a relatively short amount of time. Combine that with all the spin-offs and such, and it's easy to see why people have grown weary of Mario. Super Mario 3D Land on the other hand, undoes all of that. At least for me.

This is going to be a bold statement that I'm sure might ruffle some feathers, but 3D Land is, in my opinion, the very best of the 3D Mario games, and easily my favorite game in the series since Super Mario World. It's the only 3D Mario game that really captures the feel, the thrill, and the pure joy of the older classics. Nintendo stripped out all of the tutorials, the hub worlds, the story, missions, all that **** that slowed down the other 3D Mario games and took it back to basics, and it's all the better for it.

Runners-up: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed*, Alan Wake

*I bolded that because it's seriously an amazing game. GO PLAY IT.
Quote:

Battlefield 4

HOW the **** does this happen? Call of Duty is like EA's white whale. And this was it! This was their time! Finally! The fervor for Call of Duty is an all-time low and this was EA's chance to strike a huge blow to Call of Duty. And then they release a thoroughly broken game. I don't use that word lightly, either. Battlefield 4 was BROKEN. Now it only crashes some of the time.

Look, when it works, Battlefield 4 is incredible. And it's come a long way in a couple weeks. But I just can't give them a pass.

Runner-up: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Quote:
Best Soundtrack

Grand Theft Auto V

Grand Theft Auto V is chock-full of great licensed music in both classic and modern form, everything gangsta rap to classic country to indietronica. However, on the rare occasion that you turn the radio off, it also has a pretty killer original score. Full of dark, ambient rhythms, it calls to mind the tense moments while driving around at night getting ready to start some ill ****.

...not that I would know anything about that!

Runner-up: Assassin's Creed IV. Those sea shanties are awesome.
Quote:
Overall Game of the Year

Grand Theft Auto V

After the dull Grand Theft Auto IV, I wasn't really looking forward to the next one of these. I figured it would be more of the same morose, self-serious bull**** that plagued Grand Theft Auto IV, just moved the west coast. Boy was I wrong. Grand Theft Auto V is everything the last one wasn't. It's lively. It's colorful. It's vibrant. I know a lot of gamers these days don't like the "F" word, but what the hell, I'll say it; It was fun! The combat, the physics, the driving, side missions, activities, pretty much everything was improved immensely. (I have to admit there's a certain amount of vindication in criticizing a popular game, receiving **** from other fans defending the game, and the developers put out a sequel and obviously agree more or less with the criticisms. :])

Story-wise it struck just the right balance between serious and absurd without ever veering too far in one direction. All of the characters were well-written and memorable. Trevor especially stands out. He's pretty much the embodiment of every foul thing you've ever done in a Grand Theft Auto game and I love him for it. It's impossible to overstate what a smart addition the character-switching mechanic is. It solved a problem that I feel has dogged almost every Rockstar game, and that is that all of their games feel like their about ten hours too long. I know I'm not the only one that thinks that either. With three protagonists however, they're free to pack a large variety of missions and locations into the game without having to shoehorn them onto a single character.

Of course I would be remiss if I didn't also mention that the game is a huge technical marvel. It's probably a minor miracle that Rockstar was able to create such a BIG game, that looked THAT good, on such decrepit hardware.

For those reasons and more Grand Theft Auto V is unquestionably my favorite game of 2013.

Last edited by Soapy; 12-18-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Soapy
It's happening again...

GameSpot names their Game of the Year:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 12-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Im kinda torn on what my game of the year is. I mean i know what my personal favorite, but its different than what I felt was the best game of the year. Anyway, my winners would be:

Quote:
Best Action Game

DmC: Devil May Cry

An incredible, modern reboot to a franchise that was in need of a facelift. This new world bled with style and charisma and the new Dante retained all the character traits that made the orig Dante so damn cool. Slick as hell gameplay combined with stylistic visuals made this one of the better reboots to hit the industry.

Runner Up: Metal Gear Rising: Revengence.
Quote:
Best Action-Adventure Game

Splinter Cell: Blacklist

This was actually my favorite game from this year. It was as close a true return to form as we will ever get from this point on. While I still feel it falls short of Chaos Theory, it absolutely deserves to be mentioned right along side it.

Runner Up: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag

Quote:
Best Downloadable Game

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

T.U.R.T.L.E POWER. I felt this game has come the closest to capturing the feel of the 4 mutant turtle bros. It was certainly rough around the edges, but there was a lot of great ideas in the game and a fairly deep and fun combat system. Id hope with more time and a bigger budget Red Fly could give us a really kick ass TMNT game.

Runner Up: Sate of Decay.

Quote:
Best DLC or Expansion

Assassins Creed IV: Freedom Cry

I didnt purchase many DLC items or Expansions this year, so my list is kind of short, but a former slave turned Assassin who goes after slavers? HELL YES PLEASE.

Runner Up: Injustice: Gods Among Us Costume/Character DLC

Quote:

Ryse: Son of Rome

Again, my list is fairly short as I didnt play many non sequel games this year. Ryse fully entertained me though. Its absolutely gorgeous and I found a lot of fun to be had in the combat, even if it is a little simplistic.

Runner Up: Injustice: Gods Among Us
Quote:

NBA 2K14

This one hurts. Big time. I mean LOOK at that game. Overall I still feel NBA 2K14 is a great title, but in comparison to its MUCH deeper current(or last?) gen version, it disappoints. The inability to easily edit your roster, the lack of a standard Create A Player, the awful menu and the ridiculous VC system keeps this from truly becoming one of the best sports titles ever and pushes it into disappointment territory.

Runner Up: Batman: Arkham Origins
Quote:
Best Soundtrack

NBA 2K14

The NBA 2K series has generally had a top notch soundtrack, but 2K14 combines some great current hits that really get your blood flowing, which is just what sports titles need.

Runner Up: GTA V
Quote:
Best New Character

The cast of GTA V

Michael. Franklin. Trevor. Some of the most well acted/voiced characters of the 360/PS3 era. All 3 are fantastic on their own, but when you combine the 3, its magical. They play so well off each other its hard to be anything less than mesmerized when they are on screen.

Runner Up: Edward Kenway
Quote:
Best Story

GTA V

Rockstar delivered their classic humor and satire against the back drop of a gorgeous Los Santos all while telling an engaging heist story.

Runner Up: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag

Quote:
Overall Game of the Year

GTA V

There was really never any doubt. Rockstar, again, proved why they are the best developers in the business. They push, if not outright cross lines with their humor and they get more out of the current hardware than any other developer. These guys keep giving us gold and I don't think they'll stop any time soon.

Runner Up: Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post
Best Action Game

Assassin's Creed 4

Runner-up: Tomb Raider

Papers, Please

Best Downloadable Game

Papers, Please

Runner up: State of Decay

Best DLC or Expansion

Mass Effect 3: Citadel

Runner-up: Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea

Papers, Please

Runner-up: State of Decay

Remember Me

Runner-up: Battlefield 4

Best Soundtrack

Bioshock Infinite

Runner-up: Remember Me

Best New Character

Booker DeWitt

Runner-up: Elizabeth

Best Story

Papers, Please

Overall Game of the Year

Bioshock Infinite

Runner up: Papers Please, State of Decay
I agree with all of this

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

I'll do it this way too because Sunday.

Best Action Game

Muramasa Rebirth

Slicing and dicing its way off of the Wii, this is the definitive version of an incredible action epic. Few games manage to perfectly nail the flow of being a ninja, but Muramasa's deceptively deep combat system will have you leaping from one side of the screen to the top of the other while slicing through enemies as if they were as thin as the gorgeous papercraft visuals.

Runner-up: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Tougher than diamond, Rising is hard to get into but pays off once you do.

Best RPG: Soul Sacrifice

I've been droning on about it since March but darn it I'll keep on doing so. Soul Sacrifice caught me completely off-guard. It's a stripped-down action RPG that focuses on boss fights, but the co-op focused gameplay is the best you'll find on Vita. It's got some really creative online features that will make you betray friends and sacrifice your own stats. Two-hour boss epics create some of the best gaming memories you can make.

Runner-up: Pokemon X - Still sticking to the same old formula but that formula is an addictive winner.

Best TPS: The Last Of US

Let's focus on the game here. TLOU is an incredibly tense TPS when it wants to be. The monster battles don't quite measure up to the likes of Dead Space, but when humans come into the mix its in a league of its own. Having your back pinned against the wall, scourging through your backpack to mix together a Molotov while ducking bullets steals your breath away.

Runner-up: Dead Space 3 - It doesn't move the series on too much, but turn up the difficulty and DS3 will make your heart beat faster than any other game can.

Best FPS: BioShock Infinite

I didn't quite fall for the original BioShock like everyone else, but Infinite had me completely hooked. The power-infused gameplay makes it much more interesting to play than your average FPS, and the amount of effort gone into story, setting and characters is astonishing. A real landmark achievement, in my opinion.

Runner-up: Battlefield 4 - I've been playing this recently and I have to admit it's good to play a 'cinematic' FPS for the first time in a while. The setpiece moments are actually inventive and nothing beats Battlefield when it comes to audio.

Best Platformer Game: Tearaway

I was skeptical that Media Molecule could pull off a more conventional platformer, but then it turned out that Tearaway is anything but conventional. The whole thing is like a kick in the rear to anyone currently developing on the Vita and neglecting the system's features, with charming, inventive use of tilt, back touch and the camera. One of the best games on the system.

Best Downloadable Game: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Put simply, Brothers didn't get the loved it deserved. In its first hour it grabs you with the inventive mechanics and pleasant visuals. In the second hour you'll become hooked on the fantastic settings and engaging platforming and puzzles. In the last 60 minutes you'll come to absolutely love its story, atmosphere and bold plotting. It's easily one of the most memorable games of this year and criminally overlooked.

Runner-up: Velocity Ultra - A 'everything but the kitchen sink' remake of the best PlayStation Mini and still worth your time and money.

Best DLC or Expansion: Dead Space 3: Awakened

Visceral know how to make great expansions to their Dead Space games, and 3 is a short, sharp burst of everything that makes the franchise great. At the will of the team you can be whisked from a perfectly-paced horror fest right into the front seat of a summer blockbuster. And the cliffhanger makes Dead Space 4 a must.

Best Game That Isn't A Sequel: Tearaway

There are new IPs that I liked more than Tearaway this year, but this is the easily most inventive and 'fresh' game I played all year. If you're looking for innovation look no further.

Best Game You Played That Didn't Come Out This Year: Moon

A dark, atmospheric FPS from Renegade Kid, Moon is a perfect demonstration of all the hidden gems on Nintendo's handheld. It's aged remarkably well, with great controls and a graphical style that compliments the suffocated horror that the game's protagonist finds himself in.

Runner-up: ZombiU - I suspected I would fall for ZombiU and with it's brilliantly hardcore systems. It stumbles upon greatness rather than achieves it, but its greatness all the same.

Most Disappointing Game of the Year: Deadpool

The more I think about it, the more disappointed I am with High Moon's effort on Deadpool. Mainly because there isn't much of one. Deadpool is dated back to the PS One days in its design. Nolan North spits out the same few jokes every 2 - 3 minutes as you battle an exhaustive amount of enemies with a dull combat system in dull settings. Worse yet it's Daniel Way's worst turn at writing the character (and that's saying something). Joe Kelly made this guy smart. Way makes dick jokes. It's an offensive treatment of a great IP.

Runner-up: Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - Charming and lovable to the core but too simplistic for its own good.

Best Soundtrack - The Last Of Us

The haunting sounds of The Last Of Us' creepier moments are perfectly complimented by its moments of sweet harmony. The only OST that I bought this year and I still listen to it.

Best New Character - Joel (The Last Of Us)

Spoilers for TLOU

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Joel's journey in The Last Of Us is an ambitious tale to tell, but Naughty Dog pull it off without a hitch. You'll know the first half of the story, as he slowly grows attached to Ellie and heals from the tragic loss of his own daughter, but it's the second half in which he accepts her as his daughter that the real magic is made. Suddenly Ellie becomes less and less dependent on him, and we reach a point where Joel's actions effectively doom mankind and, heck, I can't blame him. To finally accept someone as your daughter after what you've already been through, only to have her taken away again? I'd do the same. That's the genius and depth of The Last Of Us.

Best Story - The Last Of Us

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
A lot of it's covered above, but the game's intelligence doesn't stop there. The Last Of Us is filled to the brim with engaging characters and great plot twists. The ending is one of my favorites in all of story-telling, as it still has me lost in 20-minute daydreams about its meaning and what would happen next. Phenomenal.

Runner-up: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - I don't want to ruin any of Brothers, but I'll tell you it's worth seeing through for the story conclusion alone.

Overall Game of the Year - Soul Sacrifice

I started a game of Soul Sacrifice with four other players against the hardest boss in the game - two weird trees that can shoot one-hit kill lightning bolts. We battled valiantly for the first half hour. Then one of us went down, another panicked and sacrificed him. For the next half hour he fought tirelessly, losing another just as he brought the first boss down with the other weakened. As one of the two survivors, I could feel my heart race as we struggled against the other. In the last fifth of his health bar my ally fell. I now had three people watching from the sidelines and cheering me on. I triumphed - coming back from the brink on more than one occasion - just under the 1 hour 50 minute mark with sweaty palms and bloodshot eyeballs. I won't forget it any time soon.

Runner-up: The Last Of Us - I, oh I've raved about it enough already.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
TheNextNolan22
A Man Called Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Now that the new consoles and their respective exclusives are out, I guess it's time for our annual game of the year thread. As always, feel free to use this thread to discuss other site's game of the year coverage as well.

Below are some of the usual categories for people to fill out.

Best Action Game
Best PS4 and/or XBONE Exclusive Launch Game
Best Soundtrack
Best New Character
Best Story
Overall Game of the Year
I'll narrow it down to these categories.

Best Action Game:

Bioshock: Infinite.

Runner up: Grand Theft Auto V

Best Xbox One Launch Title:

Killer Instinct.

Best Game That Isn't A Sequel:

The Last Of Us.

Best soundtrack:

Grand Theft Auto V. No contest really.

Runner up: Bioshock: Infinite

Best New Character:

The protagonists of Grand Theft Auto V.

Runner up: Elizabeth from Bioshock: Infinite

Best story:

Grand Theft Auto V.

Runner up: The Last Of Us.

Game of The Year:

Grand Theft Auto V.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

Best Action Game: Tomb Raider
Runner Up: DmC

Best Puzzle, Adventure, or Platformer Game: Lego Marvel Superheroes

Best Game That Isn't A Sequel: Tomb Raider

Best Game You Played That Didn't Come Out This Year: Batman Arkham City

Most Disappointing Game of the Year: Deadpool. Hoped to see something fun like Wolverine Origins is, oddly enough I didn't feel it with this one

Best Soundtrack: Revelations, from Resident Evil revelations (assuming port of last year's 3DS exclusive counts)

Overall Game of the Year: Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post

Remember Me
Really forgot about that one
Can't call it disappointing after that glitch I had
Can't classify it as anything, really

He looks like a spider, he looks like a bug
We should all give him one big hug
Look out, oo hoo