The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Products

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #551
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Default Re: Web shooter shop class - Part 2

Well, guys, it is finally finished. The double tap is finished. I will upload the video shortly.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #552
spideyfan1995
SPIDER and machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadaltmon View Post
Well, guys, it is finally finished. The double tap is finished. I will upload the video shortly.
Dude, that is awesome!
Can't wait!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #553
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnj4N...ature=youtu.be

I hope that works.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #554
pllagunos
SPIDER

what is double-tap

Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #555
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pllagunos View Post
what is double-tap
Good question, I might as well explain it now.

Imagine that you just have a button as a trigger. Then, you pick something up off the ground, or you just make a fist. This would hit the trigger, and shoot, would it not? This is why double-tap is a good implementation, this way, you have to press the trigger twice rapidly in order to activate the shooter. So, if you simply make a fist or pick something up, the shooter will not activate. This is much safer than a simple trigger as a button.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #556
WallCrawler3344
Side-Kick

Great job dude!
Now, on a scale of 1 to 10, how far along have we progressed?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #557
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

By that, do you mean how far we have come since the beginning, or how close we are to a working shooter? Or perhaps how close we are to a shooter just like Spider-Man's in the comics?

Since the beginning, let's say we were at 1 in the beginning. I would say we are at somewhere in the 7 or 8 range. As for how close we are to a working shooter, about the same.
As for being at a real Spider-Man shooter, just like his in the comics, we are at about 2 or 3. It would be physically impossible except if sometime in the future, nanobatteries, nanoturbines, atom wires (wires for electronics that are only 1 atom in diameter), and nanocompression technologies. Without those things being possible, we cannot even come close to a real Spider-Man web shooter like he has in the comics.
However, as for actually making one that is probable and could work, we are around a 7 or 8 stage. I expect that I will have my prototype done by the end of the year.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #558
clyde
Side-Kick

Nice job on the double tap Wadaltmon! I like how all this is coming together. Interesting idea, nano compression. I always figured pocket dimension or shrink ray lol.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #559
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Digital Electronics on the SPIDER part 2: Basic I/O

I/O stands for "Input/Output". Input, as you probably guessed, is something that the user has to put in to the circuit in order to get some kind of output, something that the circuit makes happen. In our case, we can have anything from a motor turning, to and LED, to a solenoid. However, all basically follow the same protocol... the current goes from the input device into the positive terminal of the output device, and the negative terminal of the output device connects back to ground (unless otherwise specified, from now on, when I say "ground" or GND, I am referring to the negative side of the power source).

Remember this thing?

Well, it actually isn't too complicated of a build.
The first thing you're going to see here is the battery... here, I am going to use the VCC and GND configuration for my schematic.
You will also see the button, in rows 15-17 of the breadboard (the white board is called a breadboard, a little slab for placing components in to test circuits).
You can also see the red LED on the right.
That leaves 3 more different things... the first of which is just wires, which we can safely assume you know what they do.
We see a blue cylinder thing, kinda hidden behind some wires... this is the resistor for my LED!

Now, in order to do a circuit correctly, we need to understand some things first. The first is that most everything, usually LEDs, need a resistor in front of them. We must also understand that all components in a circuit provide resistance, even wires. However, this is such a negligible amount usually, that we don't consider it.

There was this one dude named Stephen Ohm a while ago, and he came up with this law called OHM'S LAW. This law is "V=IR", V equals I times R. Now, you probably realized that V is voltage... and we're talking about resistors, so R could be resistance... but what is this I thing?
Voltage is V, the speed at which the electrons move through a circuit. R is resistance, which is the amount of... well, resisting force in a circuit. Finally is I, current. I don't know why I is current, I think it's a French thing, but let's move on.
So the LED, if we don't go the datasheet, then we can find out the resistance in the circuit by using our little law here, OHM'S LAW.

So, V equals I times R. Well, I have a 9 Volt battery.... but wait, what's that thing on the breadboard?

That is a voltage regulator. Not all things can handle the voltages of batteries we can buy, so we use this thing to bring down the voltage. The left pin is the input voltage, the 9V, in this case. Ground is ground of the battery (negative side, remember?) and output, in this case, is 5V. There are a variety of voltage regulators that accept different inputs and outputs voltages, so research to find one that suits your needs.

So we have 5V, then. I measure the current out of the battery with my multimeter (a useful tool that measures resistance, voltage, and current, and continuity) and it says that the battery provides 230mA (milliAmps, thousandths of an Amp, Ampere). So, we put this into our equation to find out the resistance needed in the circuit:

5 = 230millis x ?
since we have 230 thousandths, we make it as such: 0.230
5 = 0.230 x ?
5 divided by 0.23 = 21 or so, unknown value is 21 or so, but that is just 21 Ohms of resistance... they don't make resistors at that resistance value.

I, myself, like to use anything from the 1-10 kiloOhm (thousand Ohms) (Ohms are a resistance measurement, named after Stephen Ohm) range, because this is usually pretty good for most things. For LEDs, I like to use a lower resistance on this spectrum, so that we have a brighter LED. So, let's go with 1K Ohms. You can go lower if you want, even down to somewhere around 220 Ohms... but if you go too low, you can burn out the component.

Okay, so let's look at the schematic for this little I/O circuit... but here, let's leave out the voltage regulator on the schematic, and just look at it as if we had a 5V power source.

First thing is VCC, your little horizontal line. This is the input voltage, positive side of the battery. Then is the button (SPST switch, remember?), and then is the resistor (remember the resistor symbol?), and then comes the LED (just like the diode symbol, but with a circle around it and little arrows coming off of it, remember? Then is the output device. This can be a solenoid, motor, whatever. For now, since we don't know what the output device is specifically, we will just use the inductor symbol:
Here is just represents a generic output device.
Finally, we have the ground (triangle or the 3 lines, remember?) and that is the end of the circuit.
You interconnect the components with lines, which represents wires.
Now, I have started a new album on the realwebtech.webs.com, for photos.
What would be good, if you want to learn about electronics, is to try making the schematic yourself and putting a photo of it, if you can, into that album called Digital Electronics for the SPIDER. Remember, your circuit goes VCC -> components -> ground. So, here it is VCC -> SPST switch -> resistor -> generic output device -> ground.
So if you want, try making the schematic yourself, and see what you come up with!
I expect this is as far as some of you will go with the DE stuff, as all you want is the button to be pressed and while the button is pressed, something happens. But, if you want to go further, you can keep following these tutorials.
So, if you feel like it, try making the schematic for yourself and putting it in the album. I look forward to seeing your schematics and I look forward to doing the next tutorial see you all soon!

Old 10-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #560
pllagunos
SPIDER

hey what abou when we finish do a theory that help us to a way of having so muvích fluid in our hand that would be a good idea riht?

Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #561
goku9600
Side-Kick

i have a cartrige idea but its probably imposible have any of you heard the word transdimentional?

Old 10-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #562
spideyfan1995
SPIDER and machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku9600 View Post
i have a cartrige idea but its probably imposible have any of you heard the word transdimentional?
Nope, sounds interesting!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #563
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Trans = across
dimenison = realm or measurement

If you say anything about transporting the formula to another realm via super vacuum...

Anyway, is anyone actually going to use my electronics tutorials? If not, I think I should stop doing them and move on to a different thing.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #564
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Quote:
hey what abou when we finish do a theory that help us to a way of having so muvích fluid in our hand that would be a good idea riht?
I just have one question...

what?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #565
pllagunos
SPIDER

Quote:
I just have one question...

what?
sorry I was in my ipod I say that what about a little cartridge as in comics that holds so many fluid anyway only a though

Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #566
pllagunos
SPIDER

well wadalmton I read your tutorials but my big question is why we need to program the shooter why not only a circuit?

Old 10-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #567
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Well, Pllagunos, that depends on whether you're going to do something special with the trigger, like double tap.

If you are going to do double tap or something, it is just much easier to use a single chip and program it instead of a circuit to make the double tap, instead of making a single circuit for it, because the smallest circuit I could make that would work for double tap was still much too small to fit inside the shooter.

If you are talking about in general, why should we program it instead of just use a simple I/O circuit, then it is simply because I want to have the double tap, and if anyone wants any other things on their shooter (deflection sensor, pressure sensor, etc.) then it is easier to program something to read from those things than to build a circuit to read from those things.

If I didn't answer your question, let me know.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #568
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Quote:
sorry I was in my ipod I say that what about a little cartridge as in comics that holds so many fluid anyway only a though
The thing about the comic book canisters, though, is tha tin reality, they couldn't even hold a yard of fluid without some kind of nuclear reaction taking place... i.e., cold fusion.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #569
pllagunos
SPIDER

yes it's only a though and yes you answer my question

Old 10-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #570
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

"it's only a though"
I don't understand what you're trying to say, sorry... Are you just saying it's only an idea?

Old 10-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #571
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

As before, does anyone (besides pllagunos, lol) use my tutorials? I can move on to something else if you guys don't use them.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #572
spideyfan1995
SPIDER and machines

Quote:
As before, does anyone (besides pllagunos, lol) use my tutorials? I can move on to something else if you guys don't use them.
I won't be using it, Mabry later on but not for my first prototype! I would prefer if you do tutorials on the fluid instead!:-D

Old 10-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #573
WallCrawler3344
Side-Kick

Quote:
By that, do you mean how far we have come since the beginning, or how close we are to a working shooter? Or perhaps how close we are to a shooter just like Spider-Man's in the comics?

Since the beginning, let's say we were at 1 in the beginning. I would say we are at somewhere in the 7 or 8 range. As for how close we are to a working shooter, about the same.
As for being at a real Spider-Man shooter, just like his in the comics, we are at about 2 or 3. It would be physically impossible except if sometime in the future, nanobatteries, nanoturbines, atom wires (wires for electronics that are only 1 atom in diameter), and nanocompression technologies. Without those things being possible, we cannot even come close to a real Spider-Man web shooter like he has in the comics.
However, as for actually making one that is probable and could work, we are around a 7 or 8 stage. I expect that I will have my prototype done by the end of the year.
I just meant from the beginning. Great! Now, let's get back on it, and get somewhere to swing(once were done)!!! We can do dis!

Old 10-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #574
koopaspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
I find your tutorials very interesting and well written. I hope you write more.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #575
pllagunos
SPIDER

I like your tutorials very much wadalmton but sincerisly I don't need it for now

Closed Thread