The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > Products

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #726
Bdude101
Side-Kick

Default Re: Web shooter shop class - Part 2

I don't know if anyone remembers me, but I was working on the original project. Just to bring up a point, there used to be mention of some spinnerette that was recently created, that, as it turns out is able to use charges to wrap a webbing or strand around another. By using hypodermic needles, this would enable the fluid to come out of different areas and then this spinnerette could spin them together. So, if you stuck in a central negatively charged strand surrounded by multiple outer positive strands coming out of the spinnerette, then you could achieve a webbing that spins itself around after the electric spinnerette charges. Imagine that, a webbing that can create itself immediately through charge. And then, the polarization could help affect the rest of the shooters so you could easily shoot two larger strands into one huge strand. Anyone likey?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #727
Bdude101
Side-Kick

I forgot to mention, the spinnerette charges up the strands through use of a battery. The CO2 pressurized canisters would be best. You will also probably need 20 hypodermic needles or more.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #728
spidey44
Side-Kick

Wouldn't the positive electrodes repel each other.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #729
spidey44
Side-Kick

I also think you will need more power than electrospinning a fluid from a syringe because the fluid will be moving faster. Maybe if you increase the length of the needle electrode it will be able to charge the fluid moving that fast.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:16 AM   #730
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

You're right, spidey. I think the minimum was 5 kV? (5000V)

I forgot the password to my Youtube account. I'll re-upload all the videos to be public and post new public videos on the new account.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #731
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jdHGYLMqlk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTeHBw3uzOQ
Those are the videos I re-uploaded. I'll be doing a video about the shooter overview soon. Also, I'll soon run a basic test on my pressure vessel assemblies (of course, I'll only be shooting water).

Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #732
TheGearMan
Newbie First Class

Oops, forgot about this forum. Sorry, quitting after just one post, school has been crazy. But hopefully now I'm back for a while. I've been looking at Hot Melt Adhesives recently. When they cool, which should be relativity fast, they should be a strong enough in large quantities to hold, say, a criminal down. Not enough to swing from, or to hold someone's weight, but it should be sufficient. A nozzle would filter it into thin webs or a spray, though I think a focused spray would work the best.

Any comments/ideas/criticisms?

Old 12-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #733
spidey44
Side-Kick

I would rather use a polymer dissolved in a solvent because I won't need battery power to melt the polymer. I think hot melt adhesive would make it easier to create a stronger web. I will try to make a hot melt webshooter after this one.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #734
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

As I've recently learned, we are probably going to have to make a pretty polar polymer to get it to dissolve in acetone. This means there are a few elements in the running for the polar atom:
oxygen
fluorine
chlorine
sulfur
nitrogen

Oxygen is definitely the best choice. We can mix it with the carbon and/or nitrogen to get ourselves a good polymer, probably mix it with C2H4 (urethane, right?).

But, this is discussion for the formula thread.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #735
TheGearMan
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey44 View Post
I would rather use a polymer dissolved in a solvent because I won't need battery power to melt the polymer. I think hot melt adhesive would make it easier to create a stronger web. I will try to make a hot melt webshooter after this one.
That's true. Although I'm unclear on how does dissolving it in a solvent make it rapidly un-dissolve (I'm not sure what the correct term is) when it comes out. Please explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadaltmon View Post
As I've recently learned, we are probably going to have to make a pretty polar polymer to get it to dissolve in acetone. This means there are a few elements in the running for the polar atom:
oxygen
fluorine
chlorine
sulfur
nitrogen

Oxygen is definitely the best choice. We can mix it with the carbon and/or nitrogen to get ourselves a good polymer, probably mix it with C2H4 (urethane, right?).

But, this is discussion for the formula thread.
That makes sense, but three things:

1. How does one get such chemicals?
2. Does this including the "sticking" portion of the webs?
3. I believe that's Ethylene, but I'm not sure.

We probably should go to the formula topic. I found a link so we can talk about this there.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #736
spidey44
Side-Kick

That didn't make much sense,"Dissolving it in a solvent make it rapidly un-dissolve"

Old 12-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #737
spidey44
Side-Kick

I think someone already mentioned this but, could you make the polymer you're using as the webbing thick enough so that if you tried electrospin it only the solvent go away.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #738
TheGearMan
Newbie First Class

Quote:
I think someone already mentioned this but, could you make the polymer you're using as the webbing thick enough so that if you tried electrospin it only the solvent go away.
Ah, I get it. Okay.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #739
TheGearMan
Newbie First Class

Here's a blueprint I drew concerning my Hot-Melt Web Shooter:

The "cartriges" of thermoplastic would be similar to glue sticks.

Last edited by TheGearMan; 12-08-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #740
MarvelFan
Side-Kick

Hey GearMan, I like your design. It is very simple, but I have only one question. How is your shooter supposed to work. If its similar to a hot glue gun, wouldn't the fluid come out slower. And also, would the fluid come out similar to a cobweb gun?

Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #741
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Nice design, GearMan. But how is it triggered?

Old 12-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #742
TheGearMan
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelFan View Post
Hey GearMan, I like your design. It is very simple, but I have only one question. How is your shooter supposed to work. If its similar to a hot glue gun, wouldn't the fluid come out slower. And also, would the fluid come out similar to a cobweb gun?
Yeah, the fluid speed is a roadblock. Not sure how to fix it. Cobweb gun? I don't think so. Think of it as an advanced glue gun.

Quote:
Nice design, GearMan. But how is it triggered?
See the "Spring Release"? You pull that. I can't think of a good way to trigger it in the palm without electronics, so it takes two hands to trigger.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #743
MarvelFan
Side-Kick

Can you define "advanced glue gun" for me? Because since the spring is pushing the cartridge, and the cartridge is like a hot glue stick, it's gonna come out pretty slow. With the cobweb gun, it has air pressure blowing at the side of the nozzle as the hot glue comes out, spreading it out into a web-like design. So the shooter would require two hands as you said, but there would be a button on the palm that your wearing the shooter on to turn on the air pressure, and the other hand to pull the spring release. I'm just saying, that would probably be the best way for your design. But it is YOUR design, so you should do what you feel would work .

Old 12-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #744
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearMan View Post
I can't think of a good way to trigger it in the palm without electronics, so it takes two hands to trigger.
Why not just put a string on a ring, and attach the other end of the string to the spring trigger, and put it under the shooter, to make a pulley system so it pulls the thing when you pull your hand back?

Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #745
WallCrawler3344
Side-Kick

Gyah! I've been gone for a while, sry ^^'
Hey, just to ask, as I'm sure somebody else already has, but why not use something like a firm silly putty? Like, a stronger formula, so that it won't stretch to little more than a wisp... Cuz that stuff stretches forever... If we could modify that formula to fit our needs, wouldn't that work?

Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #746
TheGearMan
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelFan View Post
Can you define "advanced glue gun" for me? Because since the spring is pushing the cartridge, and the cartridge is like a hot glue stick, it's gonna come out pretty slow. With the cobweb gun, it has air pressure blowing at the side of the nozzle as the hot glue comes out, spreading it out into a web-like design. So the shooter would require two hands as you said, but there would be a button on the palm that your wearing the shooter on to turn on the air pressure, and the other hand to pull the spring release. I'm just saying, that would probably be the best way for your design. But it is YOUR design, so you should do what you feel would work .
I want the webs to be strong, that's why I'm not doing the cobweb thing.

Also, yeah, it might come out slow, unless I take apart a high heat gluegun and mod it, then use low heat gluesticks. There is the problem of it getting jammed, unfortunately.

Quote:
Why not just put a string on a ring, and attach the other end of the string to the spring trigger, and put it under the shooter, to make a pulley system so it pulls the thing when you pull your hand back?
I might, actually. Just one pulley might do it....

Old 12-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #747
spidey44
Side-Kick

It doesn't matter if you use the cobweb technique if you use the same amount of webbing, . Both methods would give you the same tensile strength, like a pound of feathers and a pound of bricks weigh the same one centimeter cubed of glue shot out of your shooter will have the same strength if it were shot out of the cobweb shooter.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #748
TheGearMan
Newbie First Class

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you use the cobweb technique if you use the same amount of webbing, . Both methods would give you the same tensile strength, like a pound of feathers and a pound of bricks weigh the same one centimeter cubed of glue shot out of your shooter will have the same strength if it were shot out of the cobweb shooter.
True, but it would be in thinner strands and more spread out.

Last edited by TheGearMan; 12-10-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #749
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Hey guys. Just a little update here. I can't really do a lot on my shooters until after Christmas when I get my solenoids. But, after that happens, I plan to do a tutorial for WDMB, the B standing for basic. It's basically the smallest and most cost-effective way to make the shooter. I will also be doing programming tutorials with the Nerdkits bootloader. If you don't know what Nerdkits are, look them up. They are really cool and I would strongly encourage those who want to learn electronics to get one.

The WDMB is basically the WDM2.2, but without the case and canister. It has a metal cuff, with a little slot for the circuitry. The solenoid is then attached towards the hand with the spinnerette directly attached via coupler. Then the solenoid is also attached to a back or tricep-mounted tank. Overall, I think you guys should find the WDMB pretty good if you are looking for a basic shooter.

I think I'm going to take a break until after Christmas. Then I will be able to post more about the shooter. I got loads of projects and homework to do before the school break.
Until then,
Wadaltmon out.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #750
AmazingSpider

Any updates?

Closed Thread