The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man

View Poll Results: When and how should Gwen Stacy die?
Exactly like the comics in movie 2 69 47.59%
Exactly like the comics in movie 3 39 26.90%
Different from the comics in movie 2 10 6.90%
Different from the comics in movie 3 5 3.45%
Never, she shouldn't die 22 15.17%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #101
Dagenspear
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 480
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I agree with spideyboy, ".............?"

stunned silence.

adapting comic book source material into films "is a disgusting disservice to the integrity of the story"???

for someone who loiters on comic book movie forums like the rest of us... you got some strange opinions Dagen
I love and respect the comics for what they are, and I don't need, nor do I want, them to be anything but that. The comics should inspire the films, but not restrict the creative integrity of the story. To adapt it would be to strip it of it's relevence and meaning and disfigure and pervert it into nothing more than a cheap shock for the GA, and an even cheaper thrill for the obsessive comic book fanboys.

Dagenspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #102
Dagenspear
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 480
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
? Stop describing yourself man.....
If you have nothing to say but dribble out childish insults, then just don't reply. It's sad. Not to mention nonsensical. That's the definition of a word, not the description of a person. If you're going to insult me, at least be smart about it.

Dagenspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:26 AM   #103
Dagenspear
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 480
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Except the more you voice.... The less anyone listens.
I'm not sure why I should care that anyone who insults people and can't stand up and offer an intelligent rebutel isn't listening.

Dagenspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #104
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 5,093
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagenspear View Post
If you respected the source material you'd understand that what made the story a classic was that it was new, shocking, a first, and to dilute it into anything less than that by forcing it upon the films is a disgusting disservice to the integrity of the story. And it's hardly famous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagenspear View Post
I love and respect the comics for what they are, and I don't need, nor do I want, them to be anything but that. The comics should inspire the films, but not restrict the creative integrity of the story. To adapt it would be to strip it of it's relevence and meaning and disfigure and pervert it into nothing more than a cheap shock for the GA, and an even cheaper thrill for the obsessive comic book fanboys.
Even still, by saying the the text i made bold, you are discrediting yourself and your opinion among all fans of comic book films. You don't even want comics to be made into movies? Why are you here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagenspear View Post
Yes I do. And with the disappointingly few amount of voices against this, I have to make myself heard. And it's been like three days.
and if your goal is actually to sway anyone's opinion, or even to have us take your opinion seriously, it might make sense for you to actually respect the genre itself. To be honest, your opinion of comic book films is what is disgusting. If you think comic book films force comic books into being a "disgusting disservice" then don't watch them, but some of us actually believe the stories can be made as good as we remember them as kids.

You are part of the reason Hollywood and the like have looked down their noses upon the genre for so long, you call yourself a fan of comic books and you yourself don't even show the genre respect.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:59 AM   #105
mr. peasant
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,936
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Even still, by saying the the text i made bold, you are discrediting yourself and your opinion among all fans of comic book films. You don't even want comics to be made into movies? Why are you here?
Dude, I think you are deliberately misinterpreting his words. The very next sentence in the part you quoted shows his approach and mentality in how comic books should be adapted - which is to provide inspiration for the plot and not for the plot to be copied whole cloth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
and if your goal is actually to sway anyone's opinion, or even to have us take your opinion seriously, it might make sense for you to actually respect the genre itself. To be honest, your opinion of comic book films is what is disgusting. If you think comic book films force comic books into being a "disgusting disservice" then don't watch them, but some of us actually believe the stories can be made as good as we remember them as kids.

You are part of the reason Hollywood and the like have looked down their noses upon the genre for so long, you call yourself a fan of comic books and you yourself don't even show the genre respect.
Actually, I feel Dagenspear's been plenty respectful - both, towards comic books AND this conversation - which is more than I can say for quite a number of you all. Just because you disagree with someone's opinion doesn't automatically give you the right to insult the person.

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #106
Web face
Side-Kick
 
Web face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,765
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
Dude, I think you are deliberately misinterpreting his words. The very next sentence in the part you quoted shows his approach and mentality in how comic books should be adapted - which is to provide inspiration for the plot and not for the plot to be copied whole cloth.



Actually, I feel Dagenspear's been plenty respectful - both, towards comic books AND this conversation - which is more than I can say for quite a number of you all. Just because you disagree with someone's opinion doesn't automatically give you the right to insult the person.
To be fair he has insulted the people that he is talking to also. Unless I am misinterpreting his words, he called someone a whiny fanboy or something. The insults have been thrown around both ways man. That's why I think everyone should stop taking this topic so seriously. We literally have zero control over her death. Sony isn't going to come to this thread to make a desicion of whether Gwen should die or not and even if they did, they would probably look at the poll results because they want money.

Web face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #107
mr. peasant
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,936
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web face View Post
To be fair he has insulted the people that he is talking to also. Unless I am misinterpreting his words, he called someone a whiny fanboy or something. The insults have been thrown around both ways man. That's why I think everyone should stop taking this topic so seriously. We literally have zero control over her death. Sony isn't going to come to this thread to make a desicion of whether Gwen should die or not and even if they did, they would probably look at the poll results because they want money.
Precisely. This thread is pretty much for us to discuss the pros and cons of killing off Gwen Stacy (particularly in a manner similar to the comics), the real world repercussions and implications of such an event, as well what else can be done with the character.

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #108
OP84CC82
Side-Kick
 
OP84CC82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Waterbury, Connecticut
Posts: 382
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Except the more you voice.... The less anyone listens.
You forgot about me, you know, the one who started saying Gwen's death was a bad idea on the previous thread in the first place!

OP84CC82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #109
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,944
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagenspear View Post
I'm not sure why I should care that anyone who insults people and can't stand up and offer an intelligent rebutel isn't listening.
People have done that 10 fold.... Its half to argue with someone who's posts are irrational

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #110
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,944
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagenspear View Post
If you have nothing to say but dribble out childish insults, then just don't reply. It's sad. Not to mention nonsensical. That's the definition of a word, not the description of a person. If you're going to insult me, at least be smart about it.
If you have nothing to say besides things you've already said and ruin the fun for everyone else in the thread why continue to post in it????

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #111
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,944
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagenspear View Post
Kind of. On film, it would be, that is. It's just not practical in the universe Nolan had established. But like I said, just the whining of an obsessive comic book fanboy, that holds no merit.
You mean like the practical world where a billionaire runs around dressed as a bat fighting a clown, crazed burn victim and a man with a burlap sack on his face....

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #112
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,944
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web face View Post
To be fair he has insulted the people that he is talking to also. Unless I am misinterpreting his words, he called someone a whiny fanboy or something. The insults have been thrown around both ways man. That's why I think everyone should stop taking this topic so seriously. We literally have zero control over her death. Sony isn't going to come to this thread to make a desicion of whether Gwen should die or not and even if they did, they would probably look at the poll results because they want money.
This is why i want thread to get back on topic... Its about "how should she die" and "when should it take place" not if it should happen or not

Dagen has said his opinion a million times over. Let those who are here to discuss the topic discuss it without him disagreeing with everyone . if you want to discuss why gwen shouldn't die.... Do so in the general discussion or another thread rather than detailing the fun out of this one

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 09-01-2012 at 12:24 PM.
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #113
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,944
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post



Actually, I feel Dagenspear's been plenty respectful - both, towards comic books AND this conversation - which is more than I can say for quite a number of you all. Just because you disagree with someone's opinion doesn't automatically give you the right to insult the person.
Dagen has flatout said the notion of wanting gwen to die is disgusting, immoral, whiney , and a whole list of other things..... literally as if were sentencing a real person to death...

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #114
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,944
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP84CC82 View Post
You forgot about me, you know, the one who started saying Gwen's death was a bad idea on the previous thread in the first place!
Hard to forget someone when ii do not know of you.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #115
ęKAW
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,015
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
A billionaire runs around dressed as a bat fighting a clown.
Dats Dat Gritty Stuff, huh Ma?

ęKAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #116
mr. peasant
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,936
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Dagen has flatout said the notion of wanting gwen to die is disgusting, immoral, whiney , and a whole list of other things..... literally as if were sentencing a real person to death...
And given how a number of people have exhibited such glee as they fantasise on how they would go about killing a woman... I am inclined to agree. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but there is a sickening sense of misogyny in some of the comments being made. I mean, notice how there wasn't such fervent discussion on how Uncle Ben should be killed? Honestly, the way some people are getting so thrilled and excited over the prospect of Gwen dying, it's like they get off on it. Frankly, it's a little disturbing.


While my view may not be as extreme as Dagenspear, I too currently fall in the group that Gwen Stacy shouldn't be killed by default simply because it was done in the comics. Like most comic book movies, TASM is a loose adaptation based on the comic book that is telling its own original story in its own original universe (in contrast to a recreation that is trying to stick as close to the original as possible a la book adaptations like the Harry Potter franchise).

Moreover, the reasons people have given are just poor; simply because it was done in the comics (as elaborated above, not a convincing argument), to provide Peter a source of angst and/or to shock the audience (which has a sense of 'Women in Refrigerators' syndrome), and to make way for Mary Jane (which comes off as sexist, undermines Gwen's death, and presents women as replaceable and interchangeable).

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #117
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,944
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
And given how a number of people have exhibited such glee as they fantasise on how they would go about killing a woman... I am inclined to agree. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but there is a sickening sense of misogyny in some of the comments being made; getting so excited over Gwen Stacy dying. I mean, notice how there wasn't such fervent discussion on how Uncle Ben should be killed?


While my view may not be as extreme as Dagenspear, I too currently fall in the group that Gwen Stacy shouldn't be killed by default simply because it was done in the comics. Like most comic book movies, TASM is a loose adaptation based on the comic book that is telling its own original story in its own original universe (in contrast to a recreation that is trying to stick as close to the original as possible a la book adaptations like the Harry Potter franchise).

Moreover, the reasons people have given are just poor; simply because it was done in the comics (as elaborated above, not a convincing argument), to provide Peter a source of angst and/or to shock the audience (which has a sense of 'Women in Refrigerators' syndrome), and to make way for Mary Jane (which comes off as sexist, undermines Gwen's death, and presents women as replaceable and interchangeable).
oh lordy...

if this was spider-woman and Garry Stacy... we'd all be saying the same damn thing. Do not play the feminism card... it's beyond ridiculous.

the story has zero impact as the fact Gwen is a woman... it's because it's the heroes first (true) love. It's easily the most important story in the spider-man mytho's next to his origin because it ushered in his adulthood and made the green goblin spidey's arch enemy.

people arn't "excited to watch gwen die" were excited for the story and emotions that come from it. so yes... you're reading far far far too into it.


I think the "because it's done in the comics" angle is petty.. considering we now have many stories where gwen did not die... why not let such an infamous event actually get handled on the big screen? I mean.. if we're ditching the books completely.. you might as well not of killed off uncle ben..

these are indeed adaptations. but adaptations typically base themselves off of an array of source material. they just don't start from scratch and ignore everything in the comics. That's actually why it took years for comic films to be successful, because no one cared about source material. the 90s is full of it.

people have stated hundreds of reasons.. you only choose to pay attention to the faulty ones... that are "just because of the comics"

you two will find a reason to tear apart anyone's opinion just because you won't be convinced otherwise.

you've spoken. let others continue to speculate and share their idea on how it should be handled.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #118
OP84CC82
Side-Kick
 
OP84CC82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Waterbury, Connecticut
Posts: 382
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
you might as well not of killed off uncle ben
How is that the same thing?

OP84CC82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #119
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,944
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP84CC82 View Post
How is that the same thing?
Because Ben 's death was the origin of spider-man. Gwen's is not only the origin of the green goblin becoming a true arch enemy but also the origin of peters adulthood.

You wouldn't have the spider-man we know and love today for the last 40 years without either of those tragedies.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #120
SpiderBat
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 179
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

She should never die. However, we should all be lead to believe that she has died for a while - out of respect for the original story.

SpiderBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #121
Oscorp
Side-Kick
 
Oscorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,528
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Gwen's death is not only important to Peter, but as spideyboy said, it's also something that's a very important part of Green Goblin's history. And I want Green Goblin to have the arch enemy status he deserves in a movie.

__________________
Yeah they should just cancel the films and not even bother and spend the budget on building a giant statue of toby macguire instead!
-BRAB

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #122
Web face
Side-Kick
 
Web face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,765
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
And given how a number of people have exhibited such glee as they fantasise on how they would go about killing a woman... I am inclined to agree. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but there is a sickening sense of misogyny in some of the comments being made. I mean, notice how there wasn't such fervent discussion on how Uncle Ben should be killed? Honestly, the way some people are getting so thrilled and excited over the prospect of Gwen dying, it's like they get off on it. Frankly, it's a little disturbing.


While my view may not be as extreme as Dagenspear, I too currently fall in the group that Gwen Stacy shouldn't be killed by default simply because it was done in the comics. Like most comic book movies, TASM is a loose adaptation based on the comic book that is telling its own original story in its own original universe (in contrast to a recreation that is trying to stick as close to the original as possible a la book adaptations like the Harry Potter franchise).

Moreover, the reasons people have given are just poor; simply because it was done in the comics (as elaborated above, not a convincing argument), to provide Peter a source of angst and/or to shock the audience (which has a sense of 'Women in Refrigerators' syndrome), and to make way for Mary Jane (which comes off as sexist, undermines Gwen's death, and presents women as replaceable and interchangeable).
Well if you simplify the reasons like that then every reason can be seen as poor. I mean lets see the reasons for why she shouldn't die;
1.) It would be creative and different, even though the Night Gwen Stacy Died was creative and different when it happened in the comics and it isn't like killing her would be the most cliched choice
2.) It is disgusting to want a human to die for your pleasure. It's not like we are spectators in the Roman Colosseum, actually hoping to see real people being slaughtered in the most inhumane way. She is a fictional character and they are portraying it as a horrible horrible thing to take a life from someone, they aren't trying to show that it is fun to watch people die.
3.) It is sexist. This one bugs me a lot. It's as if just because Gwen is a woman, then it is sexist. I saw no one complaining about Ben's death and saying it was sexist against men. Gobby isn't killing her because she is a woman and therefore inferior. He is killing her because she is one of the closest people to Peter and his first true love. Also, wouldn't it make sense to make Spider-man's nemesis seem a little sexist, if you are going to think that way? It shows that sexism is an attribute of an evil lunatic.
I'm not trying to stir anything up, but you can't call some points poor just because you don't agree with them. I get the perspective that she shouldn't die. Some people just don't want to see it happened. Some people just want to see something that they might have not expected as much. Maybe some just thought it was a bad story when it happened in the comics. I just happen to disagree with them.

Web face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:35 PM   #123
OP84CC82
Side-Kick
 
OP84CC82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Waterbury, Connecticut
Posts: 382
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Because Ben 's death was the origin of spider-man. Gwen's is not only the origin of the green goblin becoming a true arch enemy but also the origin of peters adulthood.

You wouldn't have the spider-man we know and love today for the last 40 years without either of those tragedies.
You mean the man-child who gives his marriage to the devil so his old aunt who didn't want him to save her and was going to die eventually anyway? Yeah, I don't love that Spidey.

OP84CC82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #124
Web face
Side-Kick
 
Web face's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,765
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP84CC82 View Post
You mean the man-child who gives his marriage to the devil so his old aunt who didn't want him to save her and was going to die eventually anyway? Yeah, I don't love that Spidey.
Lol that was probably more of a tragedy for the fans than it was for Spider-man himself.

Web face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #125
mr. peasant
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,936
Default Re: When and how should Gwen Stacy die? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web face View Post
I'm not trying to stir anything up, but you can't call some points poor just because you don't agree with them. I get the perspective that she shouldn't die. Some people just don't want to see it happened. Some people just want to see something that they might have not expected as much. Maybe some just thought it was a bad story when it happened in the comics. I just happen to disagree with them.
It's not only that they are reasons I disagree with but they are objectively seen as bad writing techniques. For instance, having the villain deliberately murder the romantic lead purely as a means to shock the audience and for the sole story purpose of antagonising or causing angst to the protagonist (as opposed to anything in relation to the killed off character his/herself) completely undermines the dead romantic lead as a character and renders him/her as nothing but an extension of the protagonist (i.e. her only value in the story is as the object of the hero's affection). That's pretty crap characterisation.

If Goblin kills Gwen, it should either be in retaliation for something she did or because it's the means towards a tangible goal; as opposed to being in retaliation towards Spidey or because the Goblin's goal is to mess with Spidey. The world doesn't completely revolve around Spidey, is essentially what I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web face View Post
1.) It would be creative and different, even though the Night Gwen Stacy Died was creative and different when it happened in the comics and it isn't like killing her would be the most cliched choice
I'm not saying that at all. What I'm trying to convey is that just because it has been done before in the comics (and done well) is not reason enough on its own to necessitate the plot to develop i such a way. Otherwise, Gwen should give birth to a couple Goblin kids too since that's what happened in the comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web face View Post
3.) It is sexist. This one bugs me a lot. It's as if just because Gwen is a woman, then it is sexist. I saw no one complaining about Ben's death and saying it was sexist against men.
See, it's the lack of excited anticipation and discussion on how Ben Parker should be killed off that makes me feel there is some misogynistic undertones going on here. I mean, considering Ben Parker's death is even more emotionally heart wrenching and important in Peter Parker's character development, why weren't people gleefully commenting how they love and can't wait to see Ben get killed in as horribly a way as possible? Compare this to some of the more 'emotive' members of the "Let's kill Gwen Stacy" crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web face View Post
2.) It is disgusting to want a human to die for your pleasure. It's not like we are spectators in the Roman Colosseum, actually hoping to see real people being slaughtered in the most inhumane way. She is a fictional character and they are portraying it as a horrible horrible thing to take a life from someone, they aren't trying to show that it is fun to watch people die.
Now, I don't normally like to name names but given how people are disagreeing with this sentiment, I feel compelled to provide specific examples of the behaviour troubling me. Take a look at a couple of these gems:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Soon and brutally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
hell yea dude! I'd love to be in charge of Gwen's death. I dont mean to brag but, I think i could make it quite a gut-wrenching moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ęKAW View Post
In the third film...and brutally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergeek232 View Post
Yes, yes! You actually understand it! I could see it at the end of the third movie:

Peter is in his room, sobbing over the recent events (Gwen's death, Norman's death, even though he's the villain, he still feels guilty.)

Mary Jane comes into room. She looks like she was crying a bit, as well.

MJ: Peter are you--
Peter: Get out...
MJ: What?

Peter stands up from his bed.

Peter: I said get out! Get the hell out of here! Shouldn't you be at some party getting wasted and what not, like most of you usually do!? Leave 'cause I'm sure you hate sick beds...! Leave...

Peter sits back down and breaks down. Mary Jane opens the door ready to leave, but she stops and looks at Peter. She then shuts the door. She goes over and sits by him.

MJ: Peter...
Peter: Go...
MJ: Peter look at me.
Peter: I said go!

Tears are going down Peter's face. Mary Jane wipes off his tears gently. She hugs him. He hugs her back.

MJ: Peter, everything's gonna be okay...I promise...

The camera slowly zooms out from his room. The screen fades to black, with some calm, peaceful music closing for the movie.

You see? If the movie ended like that, it ends on a happy note because indicates that he would find love in Mary Jane and everything will be okay.

But also, that ending could set up for more movies, if that's what they want to do.

What do you think of the little script for the scene??? Came form the top of my head!
These are from people who have zero input into the execution of the movie's story. Yet, they are fantasising about Gwen's death and how the fallout or how gratuitously the death itself should play out. Tell me none of this is creepy.


In short, my feeling is that discussing the merits, motivations/justifications for the character to be killed off and the strategy/timing of it for it to be the most impactful/effective is fine. Going into the fine detail of how the scene should play out (and deriving pleasure out of it!), I feel is weird and disturbing. But hey, that's just me.


Last edited by mr. peasant; 09-01-2012 at 07:58 PM.
mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ę2014 All Rights Reserved.