The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 08-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #26
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Default Re: New "Morbius: The Living Vampire" ongoing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
Right, but whatever happens after the fact, he still got to be head of his own ridiculously amazing lab with virtually no prior experience as a bona fide scientist. I mean, how much pull could Martha Jameson have had to get Modell to be like, "Eh, sure, why the hell not?" when she suggested giving one of apparently only 7 exclusive, top-of-the-line labs at his disposal to some guy who used to snap pictures for her hubby's tabloid? Or were they "friends," if you know what I'm sayin'?

I'm saying she probably had sex with him.
Peter wasn't handed the job... he was given an opportunity...

And when the group questioned him in a rapid-fire like sequance, he was able to come up with "possible solutions" to the quieries at hand based on his Spider-Man experience where he used science to defeat his foes...

It was all handled nicely... if you ask me... and I know you didn't...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #27
Themanofbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
If that's true, I guess that's one she's taking to the grave.

But seriously, she felt bad for him losing his credibility trying to protect her husband, she just wanted to repay the favor. She only got him an interview. He still had to get quizzed by all the other geniuses about certain topics and Pete passed their little "tests" by applying his past adventures of Spider-Man. It was actually kinda neat.
I just said that...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #28
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Okay, I can see that. I thought she was just like, "Hey, Peter, you get a massive lab because I'm awesome and I know you. Have fun!" If they actually gave him an opportunity to prove his scientific merit, I can dig it.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #29
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
I just said that...

Reporting that post for plagiarism.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #30
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

So, yeah... what the f*** was this thread about again?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #31
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

I see why the ASM thread gets no love. These sporadic discussions about Spidey just pop up all over the place.......kinda like chicken pox.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #32
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Also, everyone still hates Spider-Man because of "One More Day." At least in my world, they do.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #33
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

All I can say to the folks still butthurt about OMD is that since Big Time they're missing out. Now that the editorial interference on ASM is a thing of the past, Slott has been killing it.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #34
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

OMD was just the endpoint to years of my interest in Spider-Man wilting. I've got Thor now, and sometimes his comic doesn't suck too bad. It's enough.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #35
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer. I understand why people ran away after OMD/BND but it's been real ironic that the next era, Big Time, has been *ahem* AMAZING.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:52 PM   #36
SpideyForPrez
Pandering to Webublicans

Quote:
I mean, how much pull could Martha Jameson have had to get Modell to be like, "Eh, sure, why the hell not?" when she suggested giving one of apparently only 7 exclusive, top-of-the-line labs at his disposal to some guy who used to snap pictures for her hubby's tabloid? Or were they "friends," if you know what I'm sayin'?

I'm saying she probably had sex with him.
Well, Max Modell is gay so I doubt he helped Martha for that reason.

Anyway, why don't we talk about what we'd like to see in a Morbius book. Last page Corp mentioned Morbius being a "Reed Richards of the monster community" and I think that would be an awesome book. Every arc dealing with different Marvel monsters and horror characters coming to Morbius for help while he tries to cure himself.

SpideyForPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #37
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

I don't think they actually said he was gay but Slott has been dropping some hints.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #38
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

That was basically what the Legion of Monsters mini-series I talked about was. The other LoM characters--Jack Russell, Manphibian, and the Living Mummy--tried to quell a bunch of riots in Monster Metropolis, an underground city of relatively harmless monsters, while Morbius tried to figure out why the normally docile monsters there were going crazy and stop it. It also had a pretty comedic tone at times, lovingly poking fun at how ridiculous the monsters and the idea of a monster superhero team were. I would kill for an ongoing series like that.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #39
SpideyForPrez
Pandering to Webublicans

Too bad I missed that mini. I would have loved that. Who wrote it?

Quote:
I don't think they actually said he was gay but Slott has been dropping some hints.
Hmm, didn't he mention having a "partner" who bought him a watch? That's a pretty big hint. And there was a line in #691 about the Horizon Lawyer guy being able to check him for remaining scales at home. Given that I assume he's dating the lawyer.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:18 PM   #40
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Dennis Hopeless, art by Juan Doe. It's been collected into a trade paperback, if you really want to read it.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #41
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Like I said, Dan has been dropping hints but the word "gay" hasn't been put out there as of yet. Max was highly affectionate towards Jonah at one point too, right after Marla died.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #42
SpideyForPrez
Pandering to Webublicans

Quote:
Dennis Hopeless, art by Juan Doe. It's been collected into a trade paperback, if you really want to read it.
Thanks. I'll check it out if my library has it. I usually only buy trades if I know they're gonna be super awesome worthy of being reread multiple times.

Quote:
Like I said, Dan has been dropping hints but the word "gay" hasn't been put out there as of yet. Max was highly affectionate towards Jonah at one point too, right after Marla died.
I don't think the word "gay" needs to be thrown out there. It's kinda obvious in the dialogue. I only mentioned it to tease Corp about his joking assumption that Martha and Max had an affair that got Peter his job.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #43
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyForPrez View Post
I don't think the word "gay" needs to be thrown out there. It's kinda obvious in the dialogue. I only mentioned it to tease Corp about his joking assumption that Martha and Max had an affair that got Peter his job.
Ah, I see. But really, Marvel loves to throw that stuff out there to get press. Look at the character of Miles Morales and Northstar's wedding to his boyfriend.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #44
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

I am a bit torn on this. On the plus side, I imagine editor Steve Wacker wants to continue the modest success of his last ASM spin-off's, VENOM and SCARLET SPIDER. In fact if memory serves, SCARLET SPIDER #1 came out in January of this year, so having the new MORBIUS series begin in Jan. 2013 is perhaps a bit of a good luck charm. That said, while VENOM and SCARLET SPIDER are mostly stable, their readerships are not high (around 28k per issue) and they could easily be stretched thin.

Morbius did headline some 1970's horror/vampire comics and magazines and his last ongoing series was in 1992, which ran almost three years. I haven't minded what Dan Slott has done with him in ASM, but he's not one of my favorite characters. I have to admit the 90's Spidey cartoon was one of my first major exposures to him, and it left a bitter aftertaste.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #45
bored
One Sexy Lemur

Fred Van Lente had his hands on him for a little while, during "Marvel Zombies 4", which was a good superhero-horror story wherein Morbius led a new Midnight Sons line-up against the zombies, as well as the Hood and the Night Shift. I enjoyed that a lot, and was really hoping it'd spin off into an ongoing. No such luck.

G D
H S
T
Y
bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #46
WolfCypher
A NEW CHALLENGER

Its not the fxxking SEVENTIES anymore...

I don't care if you have to go mainstream...for the LOVE OF GOD lose that costume! Its so dated!

But, yeah. LOVE Morbius, and I've always wanted the Supernatural side of Marvel to get as much (occasional) exposure as possible.

I liked TMNT...way more than GotG. There. It's been said.
WolfCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:57 PM   #47
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

That's the odd thing, though; Morbius really isn't "supernatural". He's the result of a freak science accident that just happened to give him abilities similar to a vampire without actually being one. Since the comics code of authority was still in play back then, I imagine both he and Man-Wolf were early attempts around it before full on "Marvel horror" started later in the 70's. It is akin to when Nightcrawler had his own book that dealt with demonic stuff. Kurt ISN'T a demon; he just happens to look like one.

The writer is right, though; nothing ever works out for Morbius. Hell, here he is in 2012 when vampires are actually "sexy", and he still has that ugly pig nose which makes him hideous. He can't even capitalize on pop culture for empty sex.

I'm alright with his costume. After a long time Dracula got a drastic redesign in X-MEN, and he looks terrible. I'd rather stick with a classic than risk something worse sometimes.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:20 AM   #48
runawayboulder
Feels like dancing

They did change it for the last series in the 90's.

I don't mind the original one. The only dated part about it is the giant 70's collar. In the recent Lizard arc, Camuncoli made it smaller and it looked fine.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #49
Themanofbat

There's just something wrong about seeing a #1 with a Pert 3 of 6 splattered on the cover...

God... I hated that stuff the most from the late 80's/90's... "Part X of X" on the covers...

Old 09-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #50
Themanofbat

Wow... comics were priced at $2.75 in 1992?

Or at least Morbius #1 was... and people complain about the prices nowadays?