The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 09-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #251
Panthro
Catman Begins

Default Re: Ms. Marvel in the works? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I really think the colour scheme of the original Ms Marvel outfit looks better than the current Captain Marvel one. I prefer more of the red with the blue shoulders and gloves than vice versa.
There were some alternate abandoned designs that I would have preferred over the one they picked, but I don't have those on photo-bucket at the moment.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Panthro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:31 AM   #252
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Ms Marvel has been in as many cartoons and games as Thor was before his movie?
Nah, I wouldn't go that far. That's not true.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #253
Chewy
REDACTED

It is true, actually. A quick check says that

before his movie, Thor was in
(cartoons)
-The 60's Marvel cartoon as a main character
-an episode of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
-2 episodes of 90s F4, and 1 episode of 90s Hulk
-The Super Hero Squad Show as a main character

(video games)
-background character in Marvel vs Capcom and Avengers in Galactic Storm
-playable character in both Marvel Ultimate Alliances
-playable character in all The Super Hero Squad Show games (not sure how many there are)

While Ms Marvel has been in
(cartoons)
-an episode of the 90s X-Men
-The recent Avengers cartoon as a main character

(video games)
-playable character in all The Super Hero Squad Show games (not sure how many there are)
-The Facebook game and the upcoming Marvel Heroes RPG

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #254
marcvader
Lurker #1

How about 2 Ultimate Avengers animated movies, and Hulk vs.

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #255
Chewy
REDACTED

Forgot about Hulk Vs. But douchebag hippy Thor doesn't count

Old 09-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #256
marcvader
Lurker #1

Plus appearances in Next Avengers and Planet Hulk, plus he was the focus of his portion in the 60's Marvel Super heroes cartoon.

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 09-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #257
Chewy
REDACTED

I mentioned the 60s toon. And honestly no one really watched those DTV movies, hence the low sales and cancellation of the line. And most of them were made after the movies had been greenlit, as marketing for the movies.

I thought we were talking about actual, TV-based cartoon series for the kiddies

Old 09-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #258
marcvader
Lurker #1

I only reiterated the 60's cartoon to mention he was the focus or solo character of his own episodes where Ms. Marvel has never had that. I mentioned the DTVs as they are cartoons and didn't realize you were specifically talking tv. Regardless Thor has a higher profile than Ms.Marvel in toons and games. She's riding the wave and as result benefiting from Marvel's multimedia push where Thor did it before this big push.

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #259
The Strategos
Side-Kick

I think she's probably benifitting also from the fact that as time goes on it becomes more and more glaring that the Avengers are lacking a descent female regular, especially when over in ol' X-Men they have an embarrassment of them !

The Strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #260
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
It is true, actually. A quick check says that

before his movie, Thor was in
(cartoons)
-The 60's Marvel cartoon as a main character
-an episode of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
-2 episodes of 90s F4, and 1 episode of 90s Hulk

(video games)
-background character in Marvel vs Capcom and Avengers in Galactic Storm

While Ms Marvel has been in
(cartoons)
-an episode of the 90s X-Men
-The recent Avengers cartoon as a main character

(video games)
-The Facebook game and the upcoming Marvel Heroes RPG

I know no one counts this, but there is a slight difference in fame level between a character who has had 50 years worth of solo comics, and one that has had a total combined 7 years worth in a 35 year existence.

I'd actually say prior to the movie, more people even knew who Loki was than knew who Ms. Marvel was.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #261
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Would you guys say that Ms. Marvel is more famous in the public consciousness than Guardians of the Galaxy? I would.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #262
Chewy
REDACTED

Yeah, easily. She's right up there with Dr. Strange and Black Panther as the most recognizable still untapped character

Old 09-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #263
marcvader
Lurker #1

I'd say generally they are equal in the public consciousness but you may have a better shot with kids recognizing Ms.Marvel because of the toons.

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #264
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Yeah, easily. She's right up there with Dr. Strange and Black Panther as the most recognizable still untapped character
For now anyway. The Guardians of the Galaxy are probably going to wind up Marvel's #4 team, and a top ten property.

I think the Guardians are getting a push for being a more novel concept than the others, and a deviation from the typical Superhero origins film.

2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings

Last edited by KangConquers; 09-10-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #265
Chewy
REDACTED

Yeah, a hit movie obviously changes everything as far as popularity. I expect Rocket Raccoon to basically be Marvel's #7 character in about 3 years.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #266
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Yeah, a hit movie obviously changes everything as far as popularity. I expect Rocket Raccoon to basically be Marvel's #7 character in about 3 years.
Spider-Man, Iron Man, Wolverine, Hulk, Cap, Thor, and Rocket?

We're basically down to the C-listers. Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Ms. Marvel aren't Spider-Man and Wolverine, or even Captain America and Iron Man. The fact that 1 in 50 people know who they are instead of 1 in 100 people isn't enough of an advantage to give them a green light over the Guardians.

Think about pitching these ideas to an executive who has no familiarity with either property: A team of aliens that includes a talking Raccoon with a shoulder canon and an Ent, or a chick with big boobs who flies and fires energy. One sounds whacky and inspired, while the other sounds incredibly derivative.

Last edited by KangConquers; 09-10-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #267
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Yeah but then again pitching Ms Marvel like that is doing her a great disservice. With an extra sentence you can include the Kree, Skrulls and possibly even S.W.O.R.D in your pitch.

That's like saying A guy in a robotic suit that flies and shoots lasers or a strong soldier with a shield, for Iron Man and Cap respectively. That's not how you pitch your ideas.

Last edited by Ultra Nolanite; 09-10-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Ultra Nolanite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #268
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
Yeah but then again pitching Ms Marvel like that is doing her a great disservice. With an extra sentence you can include the Kree, Skrulls and possibly even S.W.O.R.D in your pitch.
You can include all of that in a Guardians pitch though too. Basically, Marvel chose to "go cosmic" with the characters they felt represented the greatest deviation from the superhero norm in order to keep things from veering towards monotonous formula.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #269
Chewy
REDACTED

Well first of all I'm not sure who you're trying to convince? I agree with you, Marvel wanted a fully cosmic movie to introduce Thanos, and Captain Marvel is too tied to Earth while Nova is too similar to the failed Green Lantern. I was just responding to the question about who was more recognizable.

Second of all, a studio exec who knew nothing about the characters would go for the derivative option. (Not that I think Captain Marvel is derivative, just replying to your point.) Safe = good. No studio but Marvel would have greenlit Guardians of the Galaxy.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #270
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Spider-Man, Iron Man, Wolverine, Hulk, Cap, Thor, and Rocket?

We're basically down to the C-listers. Black Panther, Doctor Strange and Ms. Marvel aren't Spider-Man and Wolverine, or even Captain America and Iron Man. The fact that 1 in 50 people know who they are instead of 1 in 100 people isn't enough of an advantage to give them a green light over the Guardians.

Think about pitching these ideas to an executive who has no familiarity with either property: A team of aliens that includes a talking Raccoon with a shoulder canon and an Ent, or a chick with big boobs who flies and fires energy. One sounds whacky and inspired, while the other sounds incredibly derivative.
As a comic book movie fan who doesn't read comic books (my estimate is that there are millions of us), I have been exposed to Ms. Marvel by osmosis much, much more than Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't know where you're getting your statistics, but I would guess that there are millions more people who know about Ms. Marvel than GOTG. It's fine with me that they're going with GOTG, but I don't think you can pull the "other heroes are more popular than Ms. Marvel" card on whether she deserves a shot at a movie.

As for pitching the ideas to an executive, I think you'd have to be a real jerk to pitch Ms. Marvel that way. If you pitch her as a strong-willed, powerful superheroine who's able to go toe-to-toe with the big boys (as well as add diversity/new dynamics to your #1 team) and whose background would contribute to connecting both the cosmic and earth-bound sides of your still infant-stage cinematic universe, then yeah, I think you can get an executive just as intrigued as a talking raccoon and a walking tree, if not moreso.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #271
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Well first of all I'm not sure who you're trying to convince? I agree with you, Marvel wanted a fully cosmic movie to introduce Thanos, and Captain Marvel is too tied to Earth while Nova is too similar to the failed Green Lantern. I was just responding to the question about who was more recognizable.

Second of all, a studio exec who knew nothing about the characters would go for the derivative option. (Not that I think Captain Marvel is derivative, just replying to your point.) Safe = good. No studio but Marvel would have greenlit Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm uber defensive of the Guardians property. *Hides in corner with Rocket Plushy*

Old 09-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #272
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm uber defensive of the Guardians property. *Hides in corner with Rocket Plushy*
I wasn't even attacking Guardians--I was using it to dispel the "Ms. Marvel is less popular than Thor and therefore Ms. Marvel should not have a movie" notion.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #273
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
As a comic book movie fan who doesn't read comic books (my estimate is that there are millions of us), I have been exposed to Ms. Marvel by osmosis much, much more than Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't know where you're getting your statistics, but I would guess that there are millions more people who know about Ms. Marvel than GOTG. It's fine with me that they're going with GOTG, but I don't think you can pull the "other heroes are more popular than Ms. Marvel" card on whether she deserves a shot at a movie.

As for pitching the ideas to an executive, I think you'd have to be a real jerk to pitch Ms. Marvel that way. If you pitch her as a strong-willed, powerful superheroine who's able to go toe-to-toe with the big boys (as well as add diversity/new dynamics to your #1 team) and whose background would contribute to connecting both the cosmic and earth-bound sides of your still infant-stage cinematic universe, then yeah, I think you can get an executive just as intrigued as a talking raccoon and a walking tree, if not moreso.
I wasn't pulling the other characters are more famous than Ms. Marvel card, I was pulling the "All the characters who are left over are unknown to the general audience, and thus should be chosen based on their ability to deliver a unique and compelling cinematic experience, instead of which of these virtually unknown characters are more famous."

The general audience is what sells these movies, not the fans. The fact is, if you tried to sell any of these movie characters based on who already knows them, they'd all bomb. Whether they do a Doctor Strange movie or a Devil Dinosaur movie next, the majority of the General Audience will be introduced to the character for the first time. Even the most famous character marvel has left are barely famous at all, and thus fame should not be a factor in deciding which characters get movies next.

Maybe I was being highly cynical with my Ms. Marvel pitch, but I just feel very cynical about the idea of fabricating back story, and history for a character just to crank out a movie for her. Ms. Marvel's comic book career is defined by two steps forward and two steps back, with no interesting story arcs that weren't defined by her interactions with more developed, more popular characters .

I think many of the ideas being put forth here draw more on other Marvel characters (Having Carol replace Abigail Brandt in SWORD, tying Carol into the Kree Skrull War) then things that are actually inherently part of the character, who was created to be the Super-Girl to Captain Mar-Vell's Superman.

I feel like the reason this thread keeps veering back to discussions about how much leg Carol should show, is because ultimately, there isn't that much more to talk about with her. All that's being discussed is her potential / what should've been done with her in comics all of these years vs. What actually is.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #274
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
I wasn't even attacking Guardians--I was using it to dispel the "Ms. Marvel is less popular than Thor and therefore Ms. Marvel should not have a movie" notion.
My problem with a Ms. Marvel movie isn't that she's less popular than Thor, it's that there's nothing to actually fall back on. They basically would be developing the character, more than adapting. You have to ignore/ rewrite 90% of history, because 90% of her history doesn't stand alone, and is completely dependent on other characters, or is just bad.

Last edited by KangConquers; 09-10-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #275
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Maybe I was being highly cynical with my Ms. Marvel pitch, but I just feel very cynical about the idea of fabricating back story, and history for a character just to crank out a movie for her. Ms. Marvel's comic book career is defined by two steps forward and two steps back, with no interesting story arcs that weren't defined by her interactions with more developed, more popular characters .

I think many of the ideas being put forth here draw more on other Marvel characters (Having Carol replace Abigail Brandt in SWORD, tying Carol into the Kree Skrull War) then things that are actually inherently part of the character, who was created to be the Super-Girl to Captain Mar-Vell's Superman.

I feel like the reason this thread keeps veering back to discussions about how much leg Carol should show, is because ultimately, there isn't that much more to talk about with her. All that's being discussed is her potential / what should've been done with her in comics all of these years vs. What actually is.
I see and agree with all of this. But my honest reaction is: so? Synergize a backstory out of hers and other similar better handled characters, turn the two steps back into a good second act fall and fabricate a true victory for her. Why not? It's all made up anyway. And isn't that what every adaptation does to some degree anyway?

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote