The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 09-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #301
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Ms. Marvel in the works? - Part 1

I hate that the more interesting origin story and rogues gallery of one hero, Mar-Vell's, will be picked at in favor of the one with the lame backstory, Ms. Marvel, just to get her in the MCU.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #302
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strategos View Post
Meh, that's not the Marvel way and I don't think it should be either as a solo film allows the character to be properly set up so that the team ups can get on with the plot and action.
P.S. Great work on the costumes, Artistsean!
Marvel has done different things depending on the character. Widow was introduced in IM2, Hawkeye had a glorified cameo in Thor, Falcon has a supporting role in Cap2. I think its more of a case by case thing.

Introducing Carol Danvers in one of the phase 2 movies doesnt seem like such a bad idea though. I agree they should save her origin story for a solo movie if thats their plan.

Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #303
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
I hate that the more interesting origin story and rogues gallery of one hero, Mar-Vell's, will be picked at in favor of the one with the lame backstory, Ms. Marvel, just to get her in the MCU.
Mar-Vell has the handicap of being most famous for having died, and stayed dead. There's only so much you can do when that is the character's iconic nature.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #304
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

That's fine but it still doesn't change the fact that his backstory and rogues gallery is more interesting than Danvers' to me at least. I'd love a one off movie for him with Danvers spinning off but that would never happen in this day and age.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #305
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
What type of character would you want to be her archenemy? I could see her contrasted against a Lex Luthor type villain--someone whose ambitions, cunning, and intellect run directly against hers. Also, maybe a Kree antithesis of Ms. Marvel?
Hmmm...

Zorek, the Kree Prime Minister would be the best candidate for an intellectual arch enemy.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #306
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
That's fine but it still doesn't change the fact that his backstory and rogues gallery is more interesting than Danvers' to me at least. I'd love a one off movie for him with Danvers spinning off but that would never happen in this day and age.
Definitely. The Mar-Vell/ Danvers dynamic is basically if Superman had died and stayed dead, and Supergirl remained. Carol Danvers/ Captain Marvel is a spin-off character.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #307
The Strategos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Marvel has done different things depending on the character. Widow was introduced in IM2, Hawkeye had a glorified cameo in Thor, Falcon has a supporting role in Cap2. I think its more of a case by case thing.

Introducing Carol Danvers in one of the phase 2 movies doesnt seem like such a bad idea though. I agree they should save her origin story for a solo movie if thats their plan.
Very fair points and I hadn't thought about that but on the other hand I don't see any of those EVER having solo movies - they all seem like permanent supporting characters to me.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #308
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

I see all of them having solo films. I think after Avengers Black Widow had major buzz. And Scarlett is a huge name, and they promissed her certain things when she signed up. Renner (spelling?) knows Hawkeye might not have a huge draw right now, he was barely in the Avengers he said. But he did think Hawkeye could be in the Black Widow movie. And Flacon hasn't shown up yet, but I can easily see him being a popular hero and getting his own spin off. He is different enough from Captain America that a solo film could work too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strategos
P.S. Great work on the costumes, Artistsean!
Thanks. I was combining Mar-Vell's original costume, his classic 80s costume, her various costumes, and Ultimate Mar-Vell's costume. I think it would fit in with the rest of the Avengers too.

Quote:
I don't know what Mar-Vell's origin is besides coming to Earth as an alien soldier and having these amazing alien powers and then becoming a hero.
I think her origin, being a pilot who helps Mar-Vell and in the process gets his powers in a sort of transfer situation is a pretty cool origin.
If they did that in her first movie, having Mar-Vell and her in the movie and her getting his powers when he dies in the movie would be good. You can have him show up and be Captain Mar-Vell and she helps him but he dies and gives her his powers and she becomes Captain Marvel and stops the alien threat. That would work fine.
I think the movie rogues could be a combination of Mar-Vell's and Carol's enemies. And should reflect the hero of the film and be equal or greater in terms of power. So she shouldn't face some street thugs or human super criminals like Green Goblin. She should face intergalactic threats like Thanos, Ronin the Accuser, Moonstone (her evil clone type), and Kree and Skrull soldiers.

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #309
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

true dat Strategos, and I think you're right about Marvel's general tendencies. I guess it all comes down to whether or not they see Danvers/Marvel as a supporting character or a potential franchise. Don't think we know that yet.

Has anyone - Feige, Whedon et al - actually said anything in regards to Ms. Marvel? Guess I'll check the ole interwebs.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #310
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

I'm kinda leaning on Carol Danvers to get introduced in the SHIELD TV series...

As you could essentially introduce her as the commander of a SHIELD faction, since Nick Fury or Maria Hill might not be in it... As well introduce Abigail Brand (as just a regular old SHIELD agent, that sets up SWORD) and Walter Lawson aka Mar-Vell...

The cool thing about this is that you get the audience attached to Danvers as a plain SHIELD agent (which will makes her transformation to Ms. Marvel more satisfying)..

With Mar-Vell they could just keep him in Human Form for the majority of the season, before giving the audience a tease of him as Captain Marvel! I think this will be a cool way to teach the audience about the Kree slowly, as well as reveal more and more of Captain Marvel's Awesomeness!!

So maybe after 1, 2 or 3 seasons and the GA really getting into this whole Kree thing, Marvel will make the Captain Marvel/Ms Marvel film and introduce the Kree in the MCU in a big way...

I think that if Mar-Vell is going to die, it should be in the second film, or an Avengers film. But either way when he does, his death will be more meaningful as GA would have seen the character around for the last couple years. It wouldn't be like Abin Sur's death in Green Lantern where no-one gave a Fudge!!

Last edited by M-2; 09-16-2012 at 03:53 PM.
M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #311
Changeling
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-2 View Post
I'm kinda leaning on Carol Danvers to get introduced in the SHIELD TV series...

As you could essentially introduce her as the commander of a SHIELD faction, since Nick Fury or Maria Hill might not be in it... As well introduce Abigail Brand (as just a regular old SHIELD agent, that sets up SWORD) and Walter Lawson aka Mar-Vell...

The cool thing about this is that you get the audience attached to Danvers as a plain SHIELD agent (which will makes her transformation to Ms. Marvel more satisfying)..

With Mar-Vell they could just keep him in Human Form for the majority of the season, before giving the audience a tease of him as Captain Marvel! I think this will be a cool way to teach the audience about the Kree slowly, as well as reveal more and more of Captain Marvel's Awesomeness!!

So maybe after 1, 2 or 3 seasons and the GA really getting into this whole Kree thing, Marvel will make the Captain Marvel/Ms Marvel film and introduce the Kree in the MCU in a big way...

I think that if Mar-Vell is going to die, it should be in the second film, or an Avengers film. But either way when he does, his death will be more meaningful as GA would have seen the character around for the last couple years. It wouldn't be like Abin Sur's death in Green Lantern where no-one gave a Fudge!!
While I do like your ideas, I dunno how I feel about that last statement

In the Green Lantern comics, Abin Sur's death isnt supposed to be a huge emotional blow, its basically just a way to get Hal's story started. A dying alien (who Hal has never met) crash lands on earth and gives Hal his ring. Personally, I dont think they are going for a super heavy sad death there. No one was supposed to give a **** about Abin Sur, its just cool because he gives Hal his ring and thats where his story starts.

The biggest tragedy in Hal's pre GL life is the untimely death of his father as a kid, not the death of an alien he has never met

EDIT: For the record, Im defending Green Lantern in the comics, not that piece of **** 2011 film

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #312
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
true dat Strategos, and I think you're right about Marvel's general tendencies. I guess it all comes down to whether or not they see Danvers/Marvel as a supporting character or a potential franchise. Don't think we know that yet.

Has anyone - Feige, Whedon et al - actually said anything in regards to Ms. Marvel? Guess I'll check the ole interwebs.
We've actually had 1,300 posts worth of debate on this based on a single internet rumor that was squashed the same day that it cropped up. There's no Ms. Marvel movie in the works, and no major Marvel bigwig has implied there is.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #313
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

What I figured. Similar situation in the WW thread.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #314
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
We've actually had 1,300 posts worth of debate on this based on a single internet rumor that was squashed the same day that it cropped up. There's no Ms. Marvel movie in the works, and no major Marvel bigwig has implied there is.
OK then, close thread. heh.

Marvel is getting very big in the movies now and they are making her a big character in the comics now too. And there was that rumor she would cameo on the AKA show and cross over into the movies. So i could see them still doing it. Maybe some day.

I think Agent Brand could be shown as well as Carol in some movie like Iron Man 3 or Thor 2 or 3 or Avengers 2 or something and then lead into Carol's own movie and show Brand to be a Fury type in that film. That films Nick Fury.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #315
therealhawkeye

Quote:

If you wanna go more athletic then Yvonne will probably do. I like her better as part of an ensemble though.

Eye Candy...but can she act? One thing about the Avengers movie that worked is that everyone was an actor..and a good one at that. Throw in one character played by a lesser-caliber actor, it would stand out. If Miss Yvonne CAN act, I'm definitely on board!

therealhawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #316
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Lol honestly i chose Alice Eve strictly based on her looks. There are probably better options but damned if she wouldnt look amazing in the outfit.

Strahofski is pretty good on that show Chuck that I never bothered to watch (well a few times). There are plenty of good actresses that could play Ms. Marvel.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #317
The Strategos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Marvel will be looking for new characters to make movies from soon and if they see the interest they may well pick her. Oh, and IMHO, if DC doesn't do a WW movie whilst going ahead with yet MORE Batman it will be a disgrace. Same goes for Flash and Aquaman.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #318
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

In my opinion Carol Danvers can become Marvel's top solo female hero, like Wonder Woman at DC. Marvel changed her name from Miss Marvel to Captain Marvel, gave her a new costume, and a new series, and she is currently starring on the Avengers EMH until its canceled. And there was a rumor about her popping up in the Alias AKA tv show. I think she could be a bigger character in the comics and in the movies. She could be on the same level movie wise as Captain America or Iron Man. And Marvel should see that, and probably does, and should jump on that as soon as possible.

And DC should have already made a Wonder Woman movie by now, I think its the swim suit costume and cheesyness from the old campy series that is holding her movie back. But we might be getting a Smallville styled Wonder Woman show soon. I hope its more like a Wonder Woman Year One than a no costume no powers thingy.
I like the idea of introducing her in a film like Thor 2 or 3 and showing her working on a part of SHIELD called SWORD, that deals with alien life. Started because of Thor, Loki, and Loki's alien army coming to earth. And showing Mar-Vell, in his human form too. (But you still don't get him being a heroic superhero in costume.) And then giving her her own movie that also has Mar-Vell in it too. I'd be fine with it just being her cameo in, lets say, Thor 2, and then her running into Mar-Vell (alien) on a mission.
Showing her first as a capable SHIELD/SWORD agent and pilot helps establish that she isn't just a hero because of the powers or because of the costume or because Marvel wanted a female hero. She is a well trained and heroic human first, and then becomes Captain Marvel later.

Oh, and I think in dealing with Mar-Vell and Carol, I think it should be established in the film that Mar-Vell is a hero to his people. Like a Captain America to the Kree, and other planets. But make the film about Carol. That way its almost like a legacy being passed down of his status as Captain Marvel.
And I think it could be a fun idea to introduce his relationship with Annelle from the Skrulls, and that she gave birth to a Kree/Skrull child. Hinting at Teddy from Young Avengers. And at the same time show Scott Lang working in Pym's lab and mention/show his daughter who later becomes Stature. Hinting at future films about the Young Avengers.

My ideas for the film follow the plotting of Thor 1, not GL. Just to clarify something no one was asking about. I heard that Mar-Vell's death might come across like Abin Surr's in the GL movie. And have no impact. But if the story follows a similar plotting as Thor and my idea it would work I think. The movie starts and Carol is already in her Captain Marvel costume/armor. She is in the middle of a giant battle against a massive alien robot in the middle of a big populated city like New York or LA. She has powers and is trying her best to stop the robot and save civilians. Cut to hours ago, maybe even two days ago or something. Now we actually meet Agent Carol Danvers, she works for SWORD which is a devision of SHIELD started after the alien Invasion in New York. She is also an accomplished pilot. On a mission she runs into an alien on the run from other aliens. (quick summary.) He is a soldier, Captain, named Mar-Vell. She helps Mar-Vell against Yon-Rogg and his rogue Kree soldiers. It is revealed to her the Kree's involvement in Earth matters, secret involvement. We also learn and see how heroic Mar-Vell is. He is like a Captain America type. Carol shows she is a capable agent too, without powers like Mar-Vell shows he has. She holds her own against the Kree and even against the giant alien robot when it shows up.
While fighting the giant alien Kree Sentry robot Mar-Vell sacrafices his life to try and stop the robot and in the process gives his powers to Carol.
Now Carol has the powers and costume. She starts fighting the alien robot and this is where the movie started. She ends up saving the day and in public too.

This idea would show her first as Captain Marvel to let the audience now she is the star and will get powers. But then we see her without powers to show that she is more than powers, but while she has no powers Mar-Vell has powers. The moment Mar-Vell looses his powers and dies Carol gains the powers.
Similar in plot to Thor too, and it worked there. Thor starts out with powers facing the Frost Giants. Looses his powers and is banished to earth. Regains them in the last half of the film and faces the destroyer and Loki.
Only in Captain Marvel, while Carol has no powers Mar-Vell does. So someone is always Captain Marvel in the film.

Last edited by Artistsean; 09-17-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #319
The Strategos
Side-Kick

Good ideas indeed!

Old 09-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #320
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
It can now be based on one Marvel bigwig's quoted mention of the character! In an interview with German website filmjunkies.de, D'Esposito mentions Ms. Marvel along with Black Panther and Luke Cage as heroes whose solo movies are not yet in the works because they have not attached directors to them, but the fact that he specifically mentions her is significant. See here.

And even if no one from Marvel ever mentioned this character at all whatsoever, I don't think that bars us from discussing a hypothetical movie. I mean, why not?

Last edited by spideymouse; 09-17-2012 at 02:50 PM.
spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #321
Markyboy00
Side-Kick

I just don't thikn Ms.Marvel is a big enough name to hold her own Marvel movie.. She should be part of the bigger Marvel Movie Universe, but not have her own movie.. Same can be said for Black Panther.. Just my opinion.. I'm actually surprised Ant-Man is getting his own movie, I honestly think the only reason he's getting his own is so the can introduce Ultron and give a proper origin and back story to him..

Markyboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #322
Chewy
REDACTED

The only reason Ant-Man is getting a movie is that Edgar Wright wants to make it.

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #323
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboy00 View Post
I just don't thikn Ms.Marvel is a big enough name to hold her own Marvel movie.. She should be part of the bigger Marvel Movie Universe, but not have her own movie.. Same can be said for Black Panther.. Just my opinion.. I'm actually surprised Ant-Man is getting his own movie, I honestly think the only reason he's getting his own is so the can introduce Ultron and give a proper origin and back story to him..
Again, same stuff could be said about Guardians of the Galaxy right now... Same stuff was said about Thor pre-2011... Same stuff was said about Iron Man pre-2008.

...so I don't think this logic holds.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #324
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

I think Black Panther and Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel are better characters to hold a solo franchise like Captain America or Iron Man, than Ant Man. He is a cool character I think, but they quickly had him join the Avengers and have sort of kept him there since in the comics. I do think his solo could be really good though.
But in my opinion Panther and Carol are more solo movie material.

All three characters though are characters that can eventually join the Avengers.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #325
Markyboy00
Side-Kick

same stuff could be said about Guardians of the Galaxy right now... Same stuff was said about Thor pre-2011... Same stuff was said about Iron Man pre-2008

I agree with the guardians, they're not big at all.. But I think this is going to lead into a lot of bigger stories for Marvel.. But Thor, Iron Man and Captain America are 3 of the bigger titles in the Marvel Universe.. If these 3 can't hold multiple films, then somethings wrong..

I just dont want to see any of these Marvel movies fail, so I think you need to introduce the lesser known heroes in the bigger titles before you go and give them their own movie..

Markyboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote