The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 09-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #326
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Ms. Marvel in the works? - Part 1

You can't compare Ms. Marvel with Thor and Iron Man sorry pre-2008 or whatever. These characters have stood the test of time and pop culture. You could show a picture of Thor or IM to anyone on the street and they would be recognized as a Marvel superhero to anyone under 50. You show a picture of Ms. Marvel and I'm sure you would not get the same reaction.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #327
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

my pick for ms. marvel is still adrianne palicki.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #328
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
You can't compare Ms. Marvel with Thor and Iron Man sorry pre-2008 or whatever. These characters have stood the test of time and pop culture. You could show a picture of Thor or IM to anyone on the street and they would be recognized as a Marvel superhero to anyone under 50. You show a picture of Ms. Marvel and I'm sure you would not get the same reaction.
Yes,I agree.

The real test will be seeing if GOTG will fly.That's a property that no one outside of comic circles knows.

Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #329
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Fine. Then I'll compare her to Blade. How's that?

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #330
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

Nope, Blade was a vampire movie.

Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #331
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Nope, Blade was a vampire movie.
And Ms. Marvel would be a superhero movie. Not that those have been popular at all lately...

Old 09-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #332
The Strategos
Side-Kick

Oh come on, be fair ! Show Ms Marvel to anybody in the street and they would say she was a superheroine. I'm sorry, but whether you think the character has anything good about them or not, masks, tight and brightly coloured/blazoned costumes and boots are universal symbols of superheroes. Indeed, Thor could be mistaked for a cartoony take on the original Norse god and Iron Man for a robot. And Blade is a superhero movie, if you are going to be that picky Hulk is not a superhero either !

Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #333
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Superheroes are very popular right now, especially Marvel superhero movies. And tying any of the Marvel movies into the Avengers helps too. Show that Carol Danvers is a SHIELD agent and a cameo by one of the heroes would help establish that she is part of the major Marvel movie universe. And Bingo you get a bigger hit than if she was trying to be in the movie without any ties.
Plus Marvel has redesigned her in the comics. New name (Captain Marvel) and new costume to hopefully appeal to a wider audience and I think its working, and her own title. Plus making her a bigger part of the Avengers and in Spider-man and such. Plus the cartoon. I can see her easily becoming a much bigger character if Marvel tries and if people will let them.
She is a far bigger character than Blade or the Guardians of the Galaxy. Plus, like I said, people are buying up the rights to movies and casting directors like crazy and Marvel is very big and popular right now. They can easily turn her into a big summer blockbuster.
People go see movies about people they never heard of before all the time. Napoleon Dynamite, Benjamin Button, Bridget Jones, etc.

Last edited by Artistsean; 09-17-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #334
Markyboy00
Side-Kick

Quote:
Show that Carol Danvers is a SHIELD agent and a cameo by one of the heroes would help establish that she is part of the major Marvel movie universe. And Bingo you get a bigger hit than if she was trying to be in the movie without any ties.
Exactly what I was saying.. They should make a full SHIELD movie.. Charecters that you've already seen in the Marvel movies.. Fury, Widow, Hawkeye, then bring in Ms.Marvel, Quasar and whoever else.. Give Ms.Marvel a big part in the movie and see how people react to her, if all goes good.. Then give her her own film.. Everybody loved the Black Widow in IronMan and the Avengers, but do you think they could make a film just for her? I dont think it would do so good.. Alot of the heroes are excellent supporting Heroes, but I just dont think they would fly in their own movie..

Markyboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #335
Changeling
Banned User

Quote:
Showing a picture of either Thor or Iron man to a stranger pre 2008, I dont think theyd know its a Marvel character. Youre forgetting how irrelevant they were then. Thats probably just hindsight

People would just assume they are superheroes but they wouldnt know their name, neither of them were popular characters at all.

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:26 AM   #336
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
Showing a picture of either Thor or Iron man to a stranger pre 2008, I dont think theyd know its a Marvel character. Youre forgetting how irrelevant they were then. Thats probably just hindsight

People would just assume they are superheroes but they wouldnt know their name, neither of them were popular characters at all.
I think your forgetting a little film called Adventures in Babysitting.

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #337
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

And that was a little GIRL who was a Thor fan, too! I loved that. She was like me.

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #338
Changeling
Banned User

Yeah its just that... a little film.

Watching that movie someone wouldnt assume that its a Marvel character. The guy thats supposed to be Thor at the end doesnt even wear the costume or anything I dont think that movie stuck in the general publics mind, thats ridiculous.

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #339
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
Yeah its just that... a little film.

Watching that movie someone wouldnt assume that its a Marvel character. The guy thats supposed to be Thor at the end doesnt even wear the costume or anything I dont think that movie stuck in the general publics mind, thats ridiculous.
Okay, put it another way: take a look at what superheroes were on little boys' lunchboxes, backpacks, underoos, jammies, bedsheets, notebooks, video games, cartoons, and the whole shebang in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s, long before there was ever a Marvel Studios. Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Wolverine. Those were the basics in Marvel merchandising for decades, and still are. Any American male between the ages of 3 and 103 would instantly recognize those characters, even if they've never picked up a comic book in their life.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #340
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Okay, put it another way: take a look at what superheroes were on little boys' lunchboxes, backpacks, underoos, jammies, bedsheets, notebooks, video games, cartoons, and the whole shebang in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s, long before there was ever a Marvel Studios. Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Wolverine. Those were the basics in Marvel merchandising for decades, and still are. Any American male between the ages of 3 and 103 would instantly recognize those characters, even if they've never picked up a comic book in their life.
I still don't agree with the thinking, though. That would mean there should only be six Marvel superhero movie franchises ever.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #341
Chewy
REDACTED

Yeah she obviously had less recognition than Thor or Iron Man. But she's about on par with Dr Strange as the most well-known/recognizable Marvel hero that's currently untapped as far as films go.

Which doesn't necessarily mean they need solo films, or that the solo films would be slam dunks. But they could support solo films, and they aren't exactly Mort the Dead Teenager.

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:13 AM   #342
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

I agree that a movie based on Ms. Marvel can be done with a bunch of revision because as it is she doesn't have much to go on other than the fact that Marvel has tried countless times to make her bankable. My problem is with people putting her on the same shelf as Thor or IM pre movies which just isn't the case.

Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #343
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
I agree that a movie based on Ms. Marvel can be done with a bunch of revision because as it is she doesn't have much to go on other than the fact that Marvel has tried countless times to make her bankable. My problem is with people putting her on the same shelf as Thor or IM pre movies which just isn't the case.
I wasn't putting them on the same shelf. But the thinking has always been the same: "____ is not a widely known character in pop culture, and therefore a movie will not succeed." People were putting anyone who wasn't Spider-Man, Hulk, or Wolverine in that blank space pre-2008, including Iron Man and Thor. Of course there are varying levels of popularity--but it's the same logic that I'm arguing against. Relatively unknown properties can work. And I hope that Marvel continues to take those types of risks.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #344
Markyboy00
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
I still don't agree with the thinking, though. That would mean there should only be six Marvel superhero movie franchises ever.

No.. Not these six franchises ever.. But I think you need one of those six to support a Ms.Marvel film.. Use one of them to introduce her and see if the fan support supports her in her own movie

Markyboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #345
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboy00 View Post
No.. Not these six franchises ever.. But I think you need one of those six to support a Ms.Marvel film.. Use one of them to introduce her and see if the fan support supports her in her own movie
I disagree. Guardians of the Galaxy probably won't have any of those six directly supporting it. Blade didn't need anyone. Am I alone in thinking that a good superhero movie can succeed on its own merit if it has the right creative people behind it?

Old 09-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #346
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Quote:
I disagree. Guardians of the Galaxy probably won't have any of those six directly supporting it. Blade didn't need anyone. Am I alone in thinking that a good superhero movie can succeed on its own merit if it has the right creative people behind it?
Nope, I'm with you on that buddy... I don't think it really matters how popular a character is in the comics... With the right people behind it telling a good clear story that resonates with audiences any comic book character can be a major hit on the big screen.

Hancock and the Incredibles were two superhero films that told stories about original characters and they were smash hits..

When you have a character that already has a certain familiarity with the GA. All it does is make Marketing a little easier because there already is a level of familiarity amongst audience...

When you introduce a character that is somewhat of an unknown commodity to the GA, you have to create awareness for the film... And that determines whether the film will be a success or not.

Right now anything that has the Marvel logo in front of it, will gain an incredible amount of coverage by multiple online websites... Not just comicbook or superhero websites but, entertainment websites like E! Online and other magazines... My cousin loves E! And she asked me about the GOTG after she saw a story about it on there website a while back.. All she knows about Marvel is the films, and now she is excited for the GOTG...

I really hope Ms. Marvel does get introduced soon, and like I said in a previous post, I think the best thing to do is get her in the SHIELD TV series first, as just a plain old SHIELD Agent...

Maybe Patty Jenkins can direct the film, since Marvel want to work with her again!

M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #347
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Bingo. The "big 6", along with the Fantastic 4 have been used to sell everything from bed sheets, action figures, backpacks etc.

Ms. Marvel has never been that type of character. Hell, I'd draw a line in the sand and say she never had any fame outside of comic book fans until about 2005.

Last edited by KangConquers; 09-18-2012 at 03:33 PM.
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #348
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Bingo.
But what does that even prove? Of course Ms. Marvel isn't as popular as Thor or Iron Man--no one has been arguing against that. But the doubts were still there about Iron Man or Thor being popular enough in the public eye to be able to support their own movies. That's why I was drawing the comparisons to them. And Blade. And GOTG.

It wasn't the fact that Iron Man and Thor were in the second tier of Marvel merchandising since the 60s that their movies succeeded--it was the actual movie marketing and how good/fun the actual films were that helped them to be successful. Sure, the marketing is aided when the GA has some existing subconscious familiarity with the character, but it isn't a prerequisite for what movies can be made, and it surely does not guarantee that the movie will be successful.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #349
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
You are not alone in this thinking. And even if you were... you have examples, not only of past successes, but of Marvel Studios going forward outside of this thinking.

It is harder to get the hype up, since there aren't a group of built in hype machines, which is a big part of why companies fund these films anyway, but it's definitely doable, especially with the Marvel Brand, it might not matter anymore than she's not well known. Certainly Thor and Cap's success didn't ride on appearing on lunch boxes in the 60s.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #350
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Jake Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote