The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 09-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #351
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Default Re: Ms. Marvel in the works? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
Doesn't look like Ms. Marvel without the domino mask.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #352
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

I was joking about the Babysitter movie by the way. Anyway, what I am trying to say is that like Iron Man or Thor, who weren't exactly household names before their movies, Carol's Captain Marvel movie could and should become a huge success and make her a household name. Sure Carol's character isn't as big as they were before their movies but that doesn't mean movie studios wont want to swoop her movie rights up or couldn't make a successful big budget movie about her. And it does seem like Marvel is trying to improve her status, changing her name to Captain Marvel, and her costume to be more accessible to the general public.
Marvel has Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man, and Spider-Man, and Hulk, as huge successful characters, but they don't have a Wonder Woman type female hero. But now that they have changed her costume and name Carol's Captain Marvel could become that.
She may not be a character used to sell bed sheets right now, but after her movie she will be. There will be Carol's Captain Marvel all over, t-shirts, toys, bed sheets, etc. And especially after her character joins the Avengers.
The comic doesn't dictate, necessarily, how the movie will do or if it gets made. Blade was made and did well enough to have a franchise and tv show. And I don't think he had a comic going at the time his 1st movie was made or by the time the last movie was made.
Green Lantern had one of the biggest comics at the time, with Rebirth, Sinestro War, and then Blackest Night, and Brightest Day, and all that. He was the center of the DC universe and his movie did very poorly.

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #353
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

The thing that seperates Blade from the others is that it wasn't neccesarily seen as a "comic book" film at the time,but a "vampire" movie based on a Marvel propery.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #354
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Genres don't really matter. Sure Blade was more a Vampire movie, but her story wouldn't have to be presented like a superhero story either. Maybe more like an alien invasion movie. But still, doesn't really matter. She could have a weak selling book (or a nonexistent book), get a good director, good actors, and a good script, make it into a huge blockbuster movie, and even if its a superhero movie, she will become a household name. The only thing that her comic sales might determine is if studios see her as bankable enough, but I think with the success of the Avengers any comic character connected to the Avengers in the comics would be seen as bankable and her comics haven't sold that badly either.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #355
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
The thing is that the domino mask is part of her look, so will anyone look truly like Carol without that? I think Yvonne Strahovski looks good for the part. Jeremy Renner doesn't really look like Hawkeye as he was in the Avengers.

The domino mask is easier to pull off than Hawkeye's mask, and since a supposedly "realistic" film like TDKR used it for Catwoman, then a film like the Avengers which embraces the comic costumes and bright colours on the whole shouldn't have any problem with Ms Marvel wearing a domino mask.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #356
marcvader
Lurker #1

I'm just not interested in a Ms.Marvel solo picture, yet I'm very interested in a Wonder Woman movie.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #357
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
The thing is that the domino mask is part of her look, so will anyone look truly like Carol without that? I think Yvonne Strahovski looks good for the part. Jeremy Renner doesn't really look like Hawkeye as he was in the Avengers.

The domino mask is easier to pull off than Hawkeye's mask, and since a supposedly "realistic" film like TDKR used it for Catwoman, then a film like the Avengers which embraces the comic costumes and bright colours on the whole shouldn't have any problem with Ms Marvel wearing a domino mask.
I'm a huge proponent of Yvonne Strahovski as Ms. Marvel. But to me that's just a pic of Yvonne Strahovski, not a pic of her as Ms. Marvel.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #358
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Bingo. The "big 6", along with the Fantastic 4 have been used to sell everything from bed sheets, action figures, backpacks etc.
Yeah, the FF definitely have the same level of general audience fame as the "big 6" I listed....I didn't mean to leave them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
I disagree. Guardians of the Galaxy probably won't have any of those six directly supporting it. Blade didn't need anyone. Am I alone in thinking that a good superhero movie can succeed on its own merit if it has the right creative people behind it?
I don't disagree with you at all about that. I just disagree about people pretending that Cap, Thor and/or Iron Man were unknown to the masses before 2008. (At least in the US. I can't vouch for Marvel brand recognition overseas.)

I think, at this point, all the big cards are already on the table, either at MS, Fox or Sony. Every new character developed after those will be considered second or third tier, and they might as well be considered brand new characters, because mass audiences will have *very* little to no recognition of those names.

Which definitely makes GOTG, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther and any of the others from Rumorville or West Fanboy City gambles. But I don't think they're *bad* gambles at all....it just becomes a matter of running the new guys (and gals) up the flagpole to see who salutes.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #359
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yeah, the FF definitely have the same level of general audience fame as the "big 6" I listed....I didn't mean to leave them out.

I don't disagree with you at all about that. I just disagree about people pretending that Cap, Thor and/or Iron Man were unknown to the masses before 2008. (At least in the US. I can't vouch for Marvel brand recognition overseas.)

I think, at this point, all the big cards are already on the table, either at MS, Fox or Sony. Every new character developed after those will be considered second or third tier, and they might as well be considered brand new characters, because mass audiences will have *very* little to no recognition of those names.

Which definitely makes GOTG, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Ms. Marvel, Black Panther and any of the others from Rumorville or West Fanboy City gambles. But I don't think they're *bad* gambles at all....it just becomes a matter of running the new guys (and gals) up the flagpole to see who salutes.
This is exactly what I've been saying forever. There's a definite disparity between the pre-movie recognition that the big 4 had, and the pre-movie recognition that any future eponymous character starring in a MS movie will have.

Basically, Captain America was the final "name" solo character to get a film. All of the A-listers, and even most of the B-listers (Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Punisher, Silver Surfer) have been in films, or had films of their own. We're down to obscuro characters at this point.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #360
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's not mine. I just thought it looked cool.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #361
Changeling
Banned User

Quote:
Okay, put it another way: take a look at what superheroes were on little boys' lunchboxes, backpacks, underoos, jammies, bedsheets, notebooks, video games, cartoons, and the whole shebang in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s, long before there was ever a Marvel Studios. Spider-Man, Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, Wolverine. Those were the basics in Marvel merchandising for decades, and still are. Any American male between the ages of 3 and 103 would instantly recognize those characters, even if they've never picked up a comic book in their life.
I agree about Spider Man, Hulk, and Wolverine, not the others though, lets just agree to disagree because you ARENT going to change my opinion and you wont change mine. Cap pre 2008 was way more famous than Thor and Iron Man, but still if I asked a little boy (thats pretty much the market of comics) pre 2008 who they were I doubt hed know. But everyone knew who Hulk Wolvie and Spidey are.

Dude we may disagree about this but I think youve got the best avvy on the hype

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #362
Changeling
Banned User

Im kind of against the idea of the domino mask. The MCU isnt ultra realistic, but realistic enough for it to not make sense for someone to be able to conceal their identity with a mask so small.

Iron Man went public, why cant Ms Marvel?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #363
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
Im kind of against the idea of the domino mask. The MCU isnt ultra realistic, but realistic enough for it to not make sense for someone to be able to conceal their identity with a mask so small.

Iron Man went public, why cant Ms Marvel?
Yeah, domino masks in film are really just relics, and rarely look as good on celluloid as they do in print. If a super *really* needs to protect their identity, they're going to have to go a lot farther than a domino mask.

There's no real reason Carol would need to hide her identity in the MCU.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #364
Changeling
Banned User

Exactly, if theres no reason to hide it, just go with no mask and make her costume look badass. I think she can defend herself enough to go public with her identity

Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #365
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

I'd love to see her wear the mask.
But I'm already reconciled to the fact that it'll never happen.

If Clint didn't get one,I doubt she will.Sorry Carol.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #366
Changeling
Banned User

Clints makes a LOT more sense than Carols does. It at least conceals his indentity

Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 PM   #367
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Lol will we actually get a superhero in the MCU that will have a secret identity?

With the way things are going it seems to me like Marvel is going against that stereotype... And besides will Domino mask really hide her identity?

M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #368
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

I too say no domino mask. Her new costume in the comics has no mask,
and everyone knows who she is.

But for the movie I designed my idea like Thor's helmet. She has it and maybe it
gets hit off by the Sentry or a Kree soldier and she fights without it. When the fight
is over she is not wearing it and maybe never wears it again. Plus with so many
people in the world, in New York, most people would see her and go "Oh, its Carol
Danvers." But also I think she wont have a secret identity either.
Quote:
She will probably be like most of the Avengers.

Last edited by Artistsean; 09-19-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #369
The Strategos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
I agree about Spider Man, Hulk, and Wolverine, not the others though, lets just agree to disagree because you ARENT going to change my opinion and you wont change mine. Cap pre 2008 was way more famous than Thor and Iron Man, but still if I asked a little boy (thats pretty much the market of comics) pre 2008 who they were I doubt hed know. But everyone knew who Hulk Wolvie and Spidey are.

Dude we may disagree about this but I think youve got the best avvy on the hype
I agree with you Changeling and indeed can sight myself. Marvel films got me into comics and when the moives were coming out I had no idea who these characters were, except Spiderman.
Oh, and on the subject of costume, I don't think that they will go anywhere near the old black costume and it will be much more related to the new one.

Last edited by The Strategos; 09-19-2012 at 03:23 AM.
The Strategos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #370
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
I'm a huge proponent of Yvonne Strahovski as Ms. Marvel. But to me that's just a pic of Yvonne Strahovski, not a pic of her as Ms. Marvel.
Ok, got you. I agree it doesn't look like a pic of Ms Marvel.

As for others saying the domino mask is redundant and doesn't hide her identity, well I don't think Catwoman was really doing that in TDKR. Everyone pretty much knew who she was. And no, the mask bit wasn't functional. Her goggles which were ears were functional, but the mask wasn't really necessary, but they still had it and it looked cool and added to her look.

They could make it part of a Kree uniform - perhaps a kind of ritual mask or whatever. Not that it's supposed to hide identity but to symbolise something else, so she wears it for that reason to honour Mar-Vell's background.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #371
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I'm fine without the domino mask, but only with a brighter costume. The costume needs SOMETHING to it that says "Super hero". I don't want Carol to wear a black cat suit with a lightning bolt on it.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #372
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
I'm fine without the domino mask, but only with a brighter costume. The costume needs SOMETHING to it that says "Super hero". I don't want Carol to wear a black cat suit with a lightning bolt on it.
Give her the blue and red original Kree costume she wears in A:EMH. I personally think that will look more striking on film than the black costume with a lightning bolt, especially if they get rid of the thigh boots and just turn it into a catsuit. A black catsuit would look incredibly generic. At least the original costume will stand out.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #373
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Ok, got you. I agree it doesn't look like a pic of Ms Marvel.

As for others saying the domino mask is redundant and doesn't hide her identity, well I don't think Catwoman was really doing that in TDKR. Everyone pretty much knew who she was. And no, the mask bit wasn't functional. Her goggles which were ears were functional, but the mask wasn't really necessary, but they still had it and it looked cool and added to her look.

They could make it part of a Kree uniform - perhaps a kind of ritual mask or whatever. Not that it's supposed to hide identity but to symbolise something else, so she wears it for that reason to honour Mar-Vell's background.
I don't recall everyone knowing who Catwoman was in TDKR. Bruce did, of course, with his trusty Bat Computer, but otherwise, she was hiding her identity (especially from the cops).

Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #374
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I think we're all over thinking "the reasoning" behind the domino mask etc. What if her costume is simply adapted from Mar-Vell's? That would explain everything about it.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:03 AM   #375
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
I don't recall everyone knowing who Catwoman was in TDKR. Bruce did, of course, with his trusty Bat Computer, but otherwise, she was hiding her identity (especially from the cops).
Not really. John Blake knew who she was, as did probably a few other cops who were around, and also she was referred to as a "Cat" burglar in her newspaper clippings. It wasn't really much of a disguise anyway because wearing such a costume would draw attention to herself if she were really trying to hide, and a domino mask wouldn't hide anything anyway.

If Mar-Vell wears one as part of his Kree culture then Carol could just be doing the same, and not as a means of hiding her identity.