The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 10-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #551
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ms. Marvel in the works? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
Wait a minute Charlize is 37 and can pass for younger than that, what's the problem here?
Exactly. She looked the same age as Kristen Stewart in some scenes of SWATH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #552
BobJM
Who's Bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Yes Left Field. Where as Charlize Theron is an obvious A-lister, the female equivalent of casting Brad Pitt as Captain America.

Now, tell me what about Ms. Marvel warrants an actress 40+, other than you really wanting to see Theron in the role? You find the actor/actress for the role, you don't change the character to fit the actress.
- Experienced officer of USAF/NASA/SWORD (she's not some rookie, her age fits well here)
- Strong, independent female (Theron has played a number of roles as a strong female ex. Monster, Young Adult, Prometheus, Valley of Elah, etc....all in critically acclaimed performances)
- Theron has done comedy (Ms. Marvel isn't a comedian, but in the MCU and under Whedon, there's plenty of humor. See Young Adult, Arrested Development, etc.)
- Physical appearance (agreed, blonde and hot is not hard to come by, but nonetheless, Theron fits this bill)
- Star Power (no denying Theron brings even more publicity to the the already huge franchise)
- Theron is no stranger to the genre of big budget flicks (Prometheus, Hancock, Mad Max, SWATH, etc.)

Theron screams Ms. Marvel to me (or Captain Marvel). Everything about her, her talent, and her experience, leads me to believe she has what it takes to make Ms. Marvel a real presence on screen, not just some blonde who flies around and occasionally has an effects shot.

BobJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #553
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Wait a minute Charlize is 37 and can pass for younger than that, what's the problem here?
I missed the memo that Ms. Marvel was already filming, and thus Charlize would be 37 in the role. She'll reasonably be 40, and more likely 41-43 by the time Ms. Marvel debuts on the silver screen.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #554
BobJM
Who's Bad?

Hollywood 40s isn't regular 40s.

BobJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #555
marcvader
Lurker #1

And Tony Stark was never a 40 something but RDJ has been through out. I'm not a fan of adding Ms.Marvel to the MCU to begin with so I have no idea who should be or shouldn't be Danvers but to say Charlize would be changing the character of Ms. Marvel is just wrong.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #556
Chewy
REDACTED

Did i just read a menopause joke?

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #557
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJM View Post
- Experienced officer of USAF/NASA/SWORD (she's not some rookie, her age fits well here)
- Strong, independent female (Theron has played a number of roles as a strong female ex. Monster, Young Adult, Prometheus, Valley of Elah, etc....all in critically acclaimed performances)
- Theron has done comedy (Ms. Marvel isn't a comedian, but in the MCU and under Whedon, there's plenty of humor. See Young Adult, Arrested Development, etc.)
- Physical appearance (agreed, blonde and hot is not hard to come by, but nonetheless, Theron fits this bill)
- Star Power (no denying Theron brings even more publicity to the the already huge franchise)
- Theron is no stranger to the genre of big budget flicks (Prometheus, Hancock, Mad Max, SWATH, etc.)

Theron screams Ms. Marvel to me (or Captain Marvel). Everything about her, her talent, and her experience, leads me to believe she has what it takes to make Ms. Marvel a real presence on screen, not just some blonde who flies around and occasionally has an effects shot.
This is how I feel, Therone is itching to be a superhero, and would absolutely knock this thing out of the park, and her name is pretty sizeable. Not Brad Pitt level, but still. There may be someone who can do well as a surprise, but just looking at it, she seems the best fit.

And I'm not sure how her being 41-43 is a problem. She'll still be hot five, even ten years from now. Perhaps not in the pinup in thigh highs way, but certainly in every other way.

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #558
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Charlize Theron seems to be a great and somewhat logical choice to me, especially compared to the other actors in the MCU.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #559
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Did i just read a menopause joke?

Co. Sign.

Um, and Charlize would be *dream* Carol casting - she resembles Carol from the comics, can act her face off, and she's just... well, awesome.

My thing about either wanting to see someone physically resemble Carol from the comics or going completely out of the box with casting is that I kind of see a homogenized appearance among the MCU's female characters. Pepper aside, pretty much all the females are white brunette chicks. Now, granted, I love all the actresses in the roles, but I just want a little more diversity - hell, even another blonde would count! (I'm mostly joking...)

That said, most of all, I want someone who can act. At least the rumors focused on two actresses who are massively talented. So long as no one's casting Megan Fox or Roise Huntington-Whiteley for any role in the MCU, I'm keeping my cool with the casting.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:23 PM   #560
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Lol to the people saying marvel only hire 20 something actresses gwyneth paltrow anyone?

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 10-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #561
Changeling
Banned User

Comparing Charlize Therons star level with Brad Pitts is laughable. And for the record, hed have been an awesome Captain America

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #562
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
Lol to the people saying marvel only hire 20 something actresses gwyneth paltrow anyone?
Pepper Potts isn't a super heroine. That's like saying Eric Selvig is played by a 60 year old, so it would be okay to make Pym 60.

I'm not saying that I don't like Charlize as an Actress, I just think there are tons of roles in the MCU that would be more appropriate for her. Sunset Bain or Madame Masque in an Iron Man film, Medusa in an Inhumans film, Moonstone in an Avengers, Captain America or Hulk film, The Enchantress, Hela, or Karnilla in a Thor sequel, Clea or Umar in a Doctor Strange film. The list goes on.

Villains are almost always juicer roles (and not as stringent in terms of age requirements, as you're probably not going to be playing a villain for 7 years), and I think Charlize would be in a great position to be the first truly memorable super-villainess in CBM history.

Last edited by KangConquers; 10-08-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #563
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I like Emily Blunt but she's just not Carol Danvers at all to me.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #564
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Pepper Potts isn't a super heroine. That's like saying Eric Selvig is played by a 60 year old, so it would be okay to make Pym 60.

I'm not saying that I don't like Charlize as an Actress, I just think there are tons of roles in the MCU that would be more appropriate for her. Sunset Bain or Madame Masque in an Iron Man film, Medusa in an Inhumans film, Moonstone in an Avengers, Captain America or Hulk film, The Enchantress, Hela, or Karnilla in a Thor sequel, Clea or Umar in a Doctor Strange film. The list goes on.

Villains are almost always juicer roles (and not as stringent in terms of age requirements, as you're probably not going to be playing a villain for 7 years), and I think Charlize would be in a great position to be the first truly memorable super-villainess in CBM history.
She would definitely work as the Enchantress. You need someone who is gorgeous and can act for that role.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #565
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

http://msmarvelsbutt.tumblr.com/

This...exists...

Old 10-08-2012, 04:59 PM   #566
Changeling
Banned User

Hahahahahahhaha thats brilliant

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #567
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:

I agree but to say she's not right for CD is bs.

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #568
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
I agree but to say she's not right for CD is bs.
If it was just for one movie it'd be fine, but this is franchise work, which means on her way out, we'd be watching a 45-50 year old Carol Danvers. That's too old. My mom's 48, and I can't imagine someone that age, no matter how attractive, pulling that off.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #569
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
If it was just for one movie it'd be fine, but this is franchise work, which means on her way out, we'd be watching a 45-50 year old Carol Danvers. That's too old. My mom's 48, and I can't imagine someone that age, no matter how attractive, pulling that off.
What does your mother look like and could she play Carol?

Old 10-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #570
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
What does your mother look like and could she play Carol?
I feel like you just touched my soul inappropriately, and bribed me to keep it quiet with a tootsy pop.

Poor form, sir.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #571
jaykayem

I would rather see The Scarlet Witch or Wasp make it to the screen, but Ms. Marvel has been on the Avengers roster for 20-something years, so she's an obvious choice (and will probably be introduced in "Guardians of the Galaxy".) The character has been featured prominently in the animated "Avengers", which is a good testing ground for how she'd play in live action features. As for who'll play her, don't even guess. It'll never be who you expect. The only shoo-in for casting was Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury, thanks in large part to Millar and Hitch who cast him before there were any Marvel films on the boards.

jaykayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #572
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Doh Re: Ms. Marvel in the works? - Part 1

Quote:
EDIT:
Famke Janssen, Halle Berry, and Jennifer Garner where all cast in their thirties and where fine in action roles. I'm so not buying that no one will cast anyone in their mid thirties to early forties. It's ridiculous.

Quote:
*\S/T*

Last edited by jaymes_e06; 10-08-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #573
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
Comparing Charlize Therons star level with Brad Pitts is laughable. And for the record, hed have been an awesome Captain America
Her star level compared to other MALE stars is nowhere near Brad Pitt's or a lot of guys, but she's definitely gotta be in the top three of Hollywood actresses.

And this part I agree with Kang on --- not the "she's too old" part. But if general audiences saw Charlize Theron advertised for the next Avenger film, she'd be stealing all kinds of scenery and press coverage and hype from all the guys, no matter how big or small Carol's role actually turned out to be. Look at Prometheus --- a truly all-star cast, but all ET and EW and all the other media outlets could talk about was Charlize.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #574
marcvader
Lurker #1

Well I think there's a wee bit more starpower on the Avengers than on Prometheus.

Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 PM   #575
GRangerPrimeNYC
AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

Quote:
Jeez, they really put dat ass in your face a lot over the years huh.

Hope the actress they choose has a nice ass.

GRangerPrimeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote