The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 10-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #201
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Default Re: Tom Hardy as Bane XXX

I might be of the minority on this, but I think that Bane and Hardy's performance is the best part of the movie (save for his last scene >_<).

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #202
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

I do.

Uroboric Forms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #203
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I do as well.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #204
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Hardy and Bale are equal for me. To me though, Hardy is that "it" factor that distinguishes this movie from the other two, influences the tone of the whole thing and makes it feel different. Just like Heath's Joker.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #205
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
I might be of the minority on this, but I think that Bane and Hardy's performance is the best part of the movie (save for his last scene >_<).
Agreed. But I think he deserved his death. Maybe if Nolan had that scene longer then there wouldn't be much criticism of it.

TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #206
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I don't know which gets the most complaints...that they wanted a more "epic" death or that it was Catwoman that shot him.

Either way, Bane's death fit, imo. He was going to straight up blow Batman's brains out with a shotgun and he had already had his "moment" when Talia was speeching it up about Bane's past and what not. A quick death worked for Bane in the scenario.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #207
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

On paper, the slow, lingering suffering as Talia gives her little speech and the fact that it takes a cannon to finally take him down sounds good. But viscerally, it doesn't live up to it. If there was some hint that Catwoman was approaching, maybe. But it just seems to happen so out of the blue.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #208
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Not showing Catwoman approaching was the better way though, because of how loud it would've been. The shocking appearance of Catwoman in the Bat-pod played out much better than if we saw Catwoman roaring through the streets up towards City Hall's steps.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #209
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

Eh, I disagree. Showing Catwoman's presence in the battle would have made it feel a bit more complete.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #210
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by comics View Post
Agreed. But I think he deserved his death. Maybe if Nolan had that scene longer then there wouldn't be much criticism of it.
My problem isn't with his death. It's that in the last scene Bane gets revealed as a lackey, and what was a fascinating plan with interesting motivation gets thrown out for "Protect Talia. Blow up city. Batman bad."

Free Original Music
Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #211
MagnarTheGreat
The Avatar

I feel Bane's characterization was pretty consistent with the comics and animated adaptations, in terms of the aggregate. For example, see No Man's Land and the Bane of the Demon/Legacy/Bane comics. Overall I was pretty pleased they used some of the better stories as sources to derive his characterization, though much of his actual background in the movie remains somewhat mysterious.

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 10-16-2012 at 07:56 PM.
MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #212
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
I feel Bane's characterization was pretty consistent with the comics and animated adaptations, in terms of the aggregate. For example, see No Man's Land and the Bane of the Demon/Legacy/Bane comics. Overall I was pretty pleased they used some of the better stories as sources to derive his characterization, though much of his actual background in the movie remains somewhat mysterious.
I agree. I was actually surprised with how "comic accurate" Bane was in TDKR. Nolan did a real good job pulling from the Knightfall/Vengeance of Bane/Bane of the Demon characterizations, yet it was still a very fresh interpretation.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #213
Victarion
Cut

When the computer generated promotional images of Batman, Catwoman and Bane were released, the Catwoman image had a gun. After someone posted an image from one of the comics where Catwoman shot Black Mask pointblank in the jaw, I thought I had it figured out. Batman would defeat Bane and Catwoman would kill him.

I was right on that count--but the cannon made it more epic. Admittedly it was an extremely quick scene that needed to have been stretched out a bit longer. However, I don't get the criticism that says "Bane dies like a *****."

Bane did indeed have a great presence in the movie. When he's on screen, you can't help but be drawn by his swagger.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #214
Brother Jack
Onion Knight

Quote:
My problem isn't with his death. It's that in the last scene Bane gets revealed as a lackey, and what was a fascinating plan with interesting motivation gets thrown out for "Protect Talia. Blow up city. Batman bad."
This isn't accurate. Bane's connection with Talia is shown to be more familial and congenial than a master/servant type of dynamic. This is evidenced by Bane disobeying Talia's order to let Batman live to die in the fire. It was clear that they worked in with each other to enact their plot to get revenge on Bruce and destroy Gotham.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Brother Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #215
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I agree. I was actually surprised with how "comic accurate" Bane was in TDKR. Nolan did a real good job pulling from the Knightfall/Vengeance of Bane/Bane of the Demon characterizations, yet it was still a very fresh interpretation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
When the computer generated promotional images of Batman, Catwoman and Bane were released, the Catwoman image had a gun. After someone posted an image from one of the comics where Catwoman shot Black Mask pointblank in the jaw, I thought I had it figured out. Batman would defeat Bane and Catwoman would kill him.

I was right on that count--but the cannon made it more epic. Admittedly it was an extremely quick scene that needed to have been stretched out a bit longer. However, I don't get the criticism that says "Bane dies like a *****."

Bane did indeed have a great presence in the movie. When he's on screen, you can't help but be drawn by his swagger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
This isn't accurate. Bane's connection with Talia is shown to be more familial and congenial than a master/servant type of dynamic. This is evidenced by Bane disobeying Talia's order to let Batman live to die in the fire. It was clear that they worked in with each other to enact their plot to get revenge on Bruce and destroy Gotham.
Just, all of this

Old 10-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #216
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Lol, I interpreted the above gifsplosion as The Rock starting a slow clap and everyone else joining in, crescendoing to a thunderous applause.

But yeah, I was definitely a fan of Bane's characterization in the film. It's not that they didn't take liberties, it's just that they obviously did their homework and found a lot of elements from the comics that fit their story. Even the fact that Bane's father was a revolutionary in the comics felt relevant to the plot of TDKR. Overall, it just made me love Bane that much more as a character, and I'm really hoping Scott Snyder will get around to re-interpreting him for the new 52 at some point soon.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #217
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Bane, his characterization (his personal story), his dialogue (very intelligent, very snobby, direct), his mannerisms & body language (slow, cool walk, arms spread wide), and the actor chosen to play him (who pulled everything in absolute spades) are all just a testament to the greatness that is Chris Nolan.

How do you follow one of the most critically acclaimed, and commercially successful films of all time? How do you top the legendary, oscar winning performance by an actor playing an already iconic character?

Nolan answered this by doing something entirely different. Bane and Joker are just about complete opposite in every way. One totally psychological, one moreso physical. One literally a joker, the other 100% serious. Joker is kind of a 'loser', while Bane carries himself with immense confidence. One, an agent of chaos, who just "does things", the other someone with precisely calculated plans. One a huge pop culture character, the other far lesser known.

And yet, Bane more than held his own. Different is good. Originally is great, when you have the skills of Nolan. Whereas Nolan revitalized the Joker in many ways, Bane is almost an entirely original character in film, and he was just as badass in many ways. The ability to create and execute such different character at such a high level is a testament to Nolans just incredible filmmaking ability.

Seriously. I was stunned at how much I liked Bane. He is the most pure badass villain in a while. All his dialogue, the way he sounds, the way he carries himself, the musical theme for him - I want more bane just as much as I want more Joker (and Catwoman).

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #218
JackWhite
Third Man

Another thing I picked up on was how in TDKR Bane came off as this revolutionary type of figure, which of course was mentioned by Linda Hemming when she talked about Bane's jacket being influenced by the french revolution. Yet in the comics; Bane's father was rumored to be a revolutionary.

Very clever on Mr. Nolan's part.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:35 AM   #219
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Quote:
Eh. Bale, Anne and JGL all kill it too.

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:58 AM   #220
BaleISBatman4ev
Side-Kick

Everyone delivers in this film for sure but I think Bane is definitely one of the biggest reasons TDKR will stand the test of time and this will be considered the best trilogy. Bane is the most pure bad ass traditional villain since Vader... Joker was an Atypical villain and it worked incredibly in TDK with the added dynamic Two Face brought... Bane wasa true nemesis for Batman and Hardy played it with such a swag aura of badassness!

Old 10-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #221
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Although i think Heat's composition as Joker is truly legendary , i honestly have to say i got more enjoyment from Bane's scenes .

Ra's , Joker and Bane. 3 amazing villains , all beautifully represented. Just incredible characters.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #222
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

Quote:
No, it only revealed that Talia is in on it. There's nothing to suggest that he didn't orchestrate the plan himself, but that Talia was involved.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #223
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jack View Post
Even if his relationship with Talia is not master/servant it doesn't change the fact that everything Bane was doing up to that point was much more interesting when you didn't know his only motivation was to help Talia get revenge and blow up the city.

Free Original Music
Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #224
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

That's just an assumption, there's no suggestion that Bane was only tagging along because Talia asked him to

Old 10-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #225
Victarion
Cut

Talia wasn't his only motivation. Bane wanted to prove himself the better man by suceeding where Ra's failed. Ra's saved Bane from the Pit. He cast Bane out and eventually Bruce became Ra's favored son. Bruce was offered everything Bane wanted, and he (Bruce) rejected it. Plus Ra's proved to be less than infallible when his plans for Gotham went awry.

Enter Bane. With Talia he had access to the League of Shadows and their resources. He wanted to take Ra's plan and ratchet it up tenfold by using Gotham as a message to inspire widespread revolution (again, his comments to Dr. Pavel about a new era of Western civilization). Batman, of course, foiled this. However Bane did have a great measure of success than Ra's. Ra's had a quickie with the psychotropic hallucinogens; Bane had five months.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote