Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 05:39 AM   #576
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Default Re: The Man of Steel Merchandise Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
I haven't flown in several years, but every plane that I've been on has a magazine called Skymall.

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/homepage.htm
I haven't flown since 2004...I think I've seen that magazine

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 02-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #577
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
I just picked up the trade for Secret Origins and so far I'm really enjoying it. The TPB has a foreword by David Goyer (also mad props and reading the foreword reveals Goyer and Geoff Johns are fellow Michiganders!) which is interesting and gives an insight on how SO might of helped with MOS and how Johns is the creative consultant for MOS.

I almost picked up Birthright but sided with Secret Origins but I'll have to head back to B&N to grab it. I personally also liked Kurt Busiek's Superman: Secret Identity.

It's a great Elseworlds title and the premise above is great and features some beautiful artwork.

Superman: Last Son of Krypton was pretty good too featuring General Zod and was written by Geoff Johns and Richard Donner:

Superman: Brainiac by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank, the same team behind Secret Origins and also the story the new animated Supes movie is based on Superman Unbound:

Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes was a fun read too and without going into spoilers the last chapter and penultimate fight brought a big smile on my face.

Didn't mean to ramble on but those are some of the recent stories I've read. Looks like more reprints and collections are coming in the next couple of months including a Superman Vs Zod collection in April.
Nice post

Definitely pick up Birthright, in my opinion its the best of all Superman's origin stories.

Also have you read Kingdom Come? I think that's the greatest graphic novel of all time

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 02-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #578
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
Man I really want a keychain that has the new "S" design on it. It just looks really good! I can't wait to see some of the apparel they will be releasing...especially from the Noble Collection
Met too! I had a Superman keychain until I lost my keys. I've been holding out on getting a new one until an MOS version is released.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #579
Kal-El.9859
Life Found A Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Met too! I had a Superman keychain until I lost my keys. I've been holding out on getting a new one until an MOS version is released.
I'm getting pretty impatient waiting to see accessories and apparel

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 02-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #580
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick

As far as the "nano tech" suit goes, here's the concept that's stuck in my head.

It wouldn't be real flashy or high tech feeling, like the GL suit. It wouldn't feel like it magically materializes like Thor's armor.

To fit with the design of the suit and other Kryptonian elements we've seen, I think it would be cool if it was almost mechanical. I'm picturing it coming together like a very intricate clockwork. There would be some central point (let's just say it's the belt buckle), and first the smooth embellishments would kind of telescope out around the waist, up the back and up over the shoulders, and down the sides of the legs. Then, from those parts, the "links" of the chain mail design would start to rotate out and link with each other, covering the whole body. All this could be accompanied by some cool mechanical sounding clicks, tinks, and wrrs, but fairly quiet.

All this, of course, would really only be shown all out once, for the suit's reveal to Clark, or the first time he puts it on. After that it would happen very quickly, or off camera.

I also think it could be done in a way that preserves the shirt rip. All they would have to do is first establish to the audience how the suit works. Then, when it comes time for Clark to step into action, just show him activating the suit, have the sound effects of it materializing under his clothes, maybe show a hint of it materializing around his wrists and up his chest as he loosens his tie, and then he rips open his shirt to reveal the fully formed S.

It could work.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #581
geetard
In Tsujihara We Trust

Thanks for the graphic novel/TPB suggestions.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #582
Glassjaw
In training

Speaking of comic suggestions, I got one of these in my bag when I bought Batman #17 this week, great to see these books getting a marketing push.

Jim Lee draws such a great Superman I cannot wait for his title with Synder.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #583
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

I wonder when the 75th Superman anniversary celebration is going to get started.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #584
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Speaking of comic suggestions, I got one of these in my bag when I bought Batman #17 this week, great to see these books getting a marketing push.

Jim Lee draws such a great Superman I cannot wait for his title with Synder.

Agreed Jim Lee draws the perfect Superman in my opinion.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #585
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Jim Lee draws such a great Superman I cannot wait for his title with Snyder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Absolutely. His Superman is what brought me back to reading new (and old) Supes again. His version gave me hope that they were bringing a cool Superman to the masses again. Meaning to the big screen. I was at least 7 years early.

I feel like MOS is that version.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 02-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #586
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
Absolutely. His Superman is what brought me back to reading new (and old) Supes again. His version gave me hope that they were bringing a cool Superman to the masses again. Meaning to the big screen. I was at least 7 years early.

I feel like MOS is that version.
Definitely, Cavill looks like the Jim Lee version as it is

Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #587
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Anything Lee touches is pure awesome. Hush is one of my favorite books based on art alone, and his Supes is just spot-on what he should look like.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #588
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sentinel View Post
Anything Lee touches is pure awesome. Hush is one of my favorite books based on art alone, and his Supes is just spot-on what he should look like.
I love that book, unfortunately the copy I have is falling to bits

Old 02-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #589
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Definitely, Cavill looks like the Jim Lee version as it is
Right off the pages.
Quote:
Man when I first saw Superman in Hush... smh... I went bonkers! lol I snatched it out of my best friend's hand, "Who did This? Where did this come Frome?!" haha. I immediately wanted more. And then I got it in For Tomorrow.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #590
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
I love that book, unfortunately the copy I have is falling to bits
Brittle, is it?

Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #591
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Anything Lee touches is pure awesome.
well, for a time it did (Hush, For Tomorrow)...

then his DC52 design came out.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #592
The Shield
It's really Happening!

The design may not be the best but he, hands down, still draws it the best.

I would love to see his MOS art.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #593
Kevin Smith
Banned User

BIRTHRIGHT is a must read for any Superman fan. It is the best Superman origin story I have ever read, and this is coming from a guy who preferred John Byrne's Superman origin and didn't think it could be touched. THIS book, BIRTHRIGHT, is in another league all together. A fantastic story, the best Superman origin, and one of the greatest Superman stories of all time, in my humble opinion.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #594
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Also, I would be very happy if the current New 52 Superman suit was ditched in favor of the MOS suit. That suit is fantastic and head and shoulders above the New 52 look with the collar and armor. Man I hate that suit. The MOS suit is fantastic though, and they should use that if they aren't going to keep the classic look.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #595
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
BIRTHRIGHT is a must read for any Superman fan. It is the best Superman origin story I have ever read, and this is coming from a guy who preferred John Byrne's Superman origin and didn't think it could be touched. THIS book, BIRTHRIGHT, is in another league all together. A fantastic story, the best Superman origin, and one of the greatest Superman stories of all time, in my humble opinion.
Dude I agree wholeheartedly exactly how I felt, I loved John Byrnes Man of Steel, it was the first Superman origin I'd read. I thought it couldn't be touched but when I got Birthright I was floored, I think it's perfect.

Quote:
Brittle, is it?
Ha ha I bought it ages ago from eBay or amazon (I forget which) second hand n it was OK until I turned the ages and a few fell out ha ha. Ill re-buy it when I get chance.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #596
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
The design may not be the best but he, hands down, still draws it the best.

I would love to see his MOS art.
right now, personally, it's a tie between Gary Frank and Jim Lee

Old 02-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #597
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
right now, personally, it's a tie between Gary Frank and Jim Lee
Gary Frank is an amazing artist and his Christopher Reeve Superman is one I've been wanting to see in comics since forever. And anatomically he is #1. But when it comes to Superman he is using Reeve's likeness so for me I can't compare it to Jim Lee's Supes because he used no reference.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #598
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Agree 100%

Gary Frank is an amazing artist and his Christopher Reeve Superman is one I've been wanting to see in comics since forever. And anatomically he is #1. But when it comes to Superman he is using Reeve's likeness so for me I can't compare it to Jim Lee's Supes because he used no reference.
you guys are flooring me tonight, preaching to the choir

Old 02-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #599
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Dude I agree wholeheartedly exactly how I felt, I loved John Byrnes Man of Steel, it was the first Superman origin I'd read. I thought it couldn't be touched but when I got Birthright I was floored, I think it's perfect.

Yeah Birthright is pretty much all around perfect. It reads like a Superman movie IMO, but it's still the Superman of the comics, it's a very true definition of Superman.

Other takes on the origin have been hit and miss, but even when they're more "hit", they're not like anything worth ranting and raving about. Geoff Johns "Secret Origin" is okay, but I feel it draws too much from the Donner films, and I honestly never cared for the Superboy element (Johns best work, IMO, has always ben GL, GL: Secret Origin is a great read). Always thought that was kind of dumb and preferred Clark to have become Superman as an adult. So that deducted points for me personally. I do love Frank's art though. Superman: Earth One I did not really care for. It's too "hipster" for me. Before Birthright it was Byrne and Byrne only for me as the "definitive" take on Superman.

But Birthright blows all of that out of the water. The storytelling is just all around better in general too than any of those other books I mentioned. It feels bigger and more epic yet also more "real world" to me for some reason. It's a great Luthor story as well (another thing I disliked about Johns' Secret Origin is that Luthor and Kent "knew each other" as kids. I always thought that was stupid too...I prefer them to have met as adults. It's like Batman hangin out with the Joker when they were kids...stupid). I love how the book ended.

And Mark Waid's footnotes on his portrayal of Clark Kent/Superman are fantastic and bring a whole new dimension to the character that he deserves, all very true to who Superman is at his core. Pretty much spells out the whole Clark/Superman dynamic, almost in formula, and I'd show it to anyone who was given the task of writing a Superman movie. It's a perfect blueprint for Superman and who he is. It didn't reinvent Superman it simply enhanced him, this book, IMO. Mark Waid is one of the few guys in comics who I feel really gets Superman. He's a great guy too if you ever meet him in person, one of the nicest guys in the industry, IMO.

And the art is great too, Leinel Yu, I'll be honest, probably would not have been my first pick, even in my top ten for doing a Superman book. But I think that's what makes it so interesting looking is that it looks different. He came more out of the left field for me and it actually looks really really good (not that I'm saying I dislike his art in general, it's just not the more "traditional" looking art I'm used to seeing from DC (re: "realistic" vs "stylistic" (ideally a perfect blend of both makes a great artist for me)). It actually compliments Superman really well, and especially fits the whole sci fi element of the character.

All around great book and I strongly urge anyone who hasn't read it to pick it up. If you can only buy one Superman story this is the one to buy.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 02-15-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #600
Kevin Smith
Banned User

I really hope the writers of MOS looked at Birthright when they wrote it. More so than any other "origin". I'm not sure what all Goyer's inspiration was but the footage from the trailers has him sort of "searching" the world and trying to use his powers discreetly (re: Clark hitch hiking), so that's a good sign, IMO. MOS may jut be the perfect Superman movie. I am so excited!!

Closed Thread