Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #601
Glassjaw
In training

Default Re: The Man of Steel Merchandise Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
I really hope the writers of MOS looked at Birthright when they wrote it. More so than any other "origin". I'm not sure what all Goyer's inspiration was but the footage from the trailers has him sort of "searching" the world and trying to use his powers discreetly (re: Clark hitch hiking), so that's a good sign, IMO. MOS may jut be the perfect Superman movie. I am so excited!!
Goyer has a blurb on the back of Earth One praising it, and wrote the introduction for the TPB of Secret Origin saying how much he loved it (and makes note of the fact that he is doing the first pass for his MoS script as he writes the intro) so we'll definitely be able to trace back chunks of the film to those (in fact people already have made panel to panel comparisons from the trailer to parts of Secret Origin, Synder is literally putting comic panels in as shots, much like Watchmen).

The rest will inspired by Birthright, Clark the wanderer, trying to find his purpose in life, to a robot invasion of some sort. I seriously see the film being roughly a quarter Earth One, a quarter Secret Origin, a quarter Birthright and a quarter original stuff from Goyer and Nolan (theyre both credited for the story part).

Old 02-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #602
super85
Side-Kick

Everybody is of course entitled to their own opinions (duh!) but I was never keen on Superman:Birthright. I read it as a monthly when it came out, and I thought the first 3-4 issues were dragging and boring. Not only that, I thought that Leinil You's artwork was sloppy in some of the later issues, there were hardly any backgrounds on some of the stuff. The fact that chracters visuals were inspired by Smallville didn't help. Neither did the big finale, that felt like it was written by John Peters.

Mark Waid is very hit and miss for me. I haven't read Birthright since it came out. I might have a different opinion on it today.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #603
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by super85 View Post
Everybody is of course entitled to their own opinions (duh!) but I was never keen on Superman:Birthright. I read it as a monthly when it came out, and I thought the first 3-4 issues were dragging and boring. Not only that, I thought that Leinil You's artwork was sloppy in some of the later issues, there were hardly any backgrounds on some of the stuff. The fact that chracters visuals were inspired by Smallville didn't help. Neither did the big finale, that felt like it was written by John Peters.

Mark Waid is very hit and miss for me. I haven't read Birthright since it came out. I might have a different opinion on it today.
I read it as a novel and I'm glad I did. I think that's how it everyone should read it. Personally I can't read anything monthly anymore. I'll my books are in novel form.

*Even my girl read it! (First girlfriend to ever read any of my comics) She loved it and it helped her understand my affection for the character and why I hated Superman Returns. (her words) lol I think that's is a big part of why I decided to marry her.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Last edited by The Shield; 02-15-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #604
Kevin Smith
Papa Spank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post
Goyer has a blurb on the back of Earth One praising it, and wrote the introduction for the TPB of Secret Origin saying how much he loved it (and makes note of the fact that he is doing the first pass for his MoS script as he writes the intro) so we'll definitely be able to trace back chunks of the film to those (in fact people already have made panel to panel comparisons from the trailer to parts of Secret Origin, Synder is literally putting comic panels in as shots, much like Watchmen).

The rest will inspired by Birthright, Clark the wanderer, trying to find his purpose in life, to a robot invasion of some sort. I seriously see the film being roughly a quarter Earth One, a quarter Secret Origin, a quarter Birthright and a quarter original stuff from Goyer and Nolan (theyre both credited for the story part).
That is all awesome news to me. And I'm going to go look for that bit from Goyer in the back of Earth One. I only have Superman Secret Origin in single issue format.

I also read Birthright in trade. Best way to read it too, I agree.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #605
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
I really hope the writers of MOS looked at Birthright when they wrote it. More so than any other "origin". I'm not sure what all Goyer's inspiration was but the footage from the trailers has him sort of "searching" the world and trying to use his powers discreetly (re: Clark hitch hiking), so that's a good sign, IMO. MOS may jut be the perfect Superman movie. I am so excited!!
I started out loving Birthright, but towards the end it got really clumsy, as a series. It's definitely my favorite version of the origin though, and as far as I'm concerned, the OFFICIAL one. I love how they handled the motivations behind his choice, and it was great seeing him be a proactive, lively character who makes his own decisions, as opposed to the "Woe is me, what do I do with my liiiiife, I need inspiration" version from Earth One. I know that also seems to be what they're going for in MOS, but I'm hoping they give him some proactivity here too. I just hated the Peter Parkerisation that they put him through in Earth One, with him pursuing all these money-making careers in order to provide for his mom, without even considering using his powers for good. That's just not Clark Kent to me.

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Old 02-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #606
fanboiii
disciple of truth

No one is against vegan Superman?

Old 02-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #607
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

Personally vegan Superman makes sense. He does not kill simple as that

Check out my Deviant Art file
http://alienanal.deviantart.com/
Old 02-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #608
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Anal View Post
Personally vegan Superman makes sense. He does not kill simple as that
So if I were to eat meat, it would make me a killer?

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 02-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #609
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptonian Warrior View Post
So if I were to eat meat, it would make me a killer?
Unless you manage to take a slice off of the animal and then bandage him back up and nursed him to good health im going to say the animal was killed.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #610
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Quote:
Unless you manage to take a slice off of the animal and then bandage him back up and nursed him to good health im going to say the animal was killed.
Well OK, but that's not even close to what I said.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #611
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well OK, but that's not even close to what I said.
It was a way of saying yes it makes you a killer, you may not directly kill the animal but the animal was killed because of you. I dont see Superman wanting to take part in that.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #612
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Well this escalated quickly. Lol

Old 02-16-2013, 12:45 AM   #613
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

Haha sorry i wasnt trying to get preachy or anything. I just like the idea of Superman being a vegan and the reasons i gave are just my personal views. *throws a bucket of blood on everyone* :P

Old 02-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #614
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

ok....this is really dumb now.....what Superman eats has absolutely nothing to do with Man Of Steel Merchandise......

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Reynolds/Pine - Green Lantern -
Bay
Gosling/Kwanten - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
- It's the Dawn Of A New Day!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:15 AM   #615
Kevin Smith
Papa Spank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeres View Post
I started out loving Birthright, but towards the end it got really clumsy, as a series. It's definitely my favorite version of the origin though, and as far as I'm concerned, the OFFICIAL one. I love how they handled the motivations behind his choice, and it was great seeing him be a proactive, lively character who makes his own decisions, as opposed to the "Woe is me, what do I do with my liiiiife, I need inspiration" version from Earth One. I know that also seems to be what they're going for in MOS, but I'm hoping they give him some proactivity here too. I just hated the Peter Parkerisation that they put him through in Earth One, with him pursuing all these money-making careers in order to provide for his mom, without even considering using his powers for good. That's just not Clark Kent to me.
You summed up all the things I liked about it basically. It's the origin I dig and why he wears the suit, and the whole explanation of how the Kent disguise could work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
No one is against vegan Superman?
Haha that kind of got an "eh" from me, but how they explained Superman sees the "life force" of people, in the context of the book, it kinda made sense. Kinda. I understand being vegan, and I have a similar view toward animals myself, as in I won't go out and kill them personally nor ask someone to kill it for me but if it is already dead and like on a pizza then yes I will eat it lol. But if it were up to me, then no, I'm not going to kill it. It's just if it's already dead and that's what is served and you're hungry, by all means, eat it (unless it's some like disgusting type of meat...you guys know what I mean. Although what's "disgusting" could vary from person to person so who knows haha)...I frankly don't see a problem if Superman does that or has an attitude similar to that. I mean he grew up on a farm. I'm sure he ate eggs and chicken at least. Him eating a slice of pepperoni pizza is not the same as him going out and hunting with his heat vision or something, so I don't see a problem with this. Him being all vegan only is kind of silly. But ya know...I don't HATE it (but I don't love it either). It's just kinda "meh" to me. Superman can do without it.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 02-16-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:27 AM   #616
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid

oh for the love of.......ok you know what.....Zod, talk to them

thank you, now, with that out of the way, STAY ON TOPIC

Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Reynolds/Pine - Green Lantern -
Bay
Gosling/Kwanten - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
- It's the Dawn Of A New Day!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:44 AM   #617
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

How does eating have anything to do with merchandise?

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 02-16-2013, 03:15 AM   #618
Zionite1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassjaw View Post

So far the trailers have hinted the following influences
1. Batman begins(Bearded hero lost in exile far away searching for purpose)
2. Donner(getting suit and peptalk in Fotress which helps him find his destiny)
3. Superman animated series(Bus save)
3. Smallville (Kent interaction)
4. Superman for all Seasons(Tornado scene)
5. Secret Origin(Military presence)
6. Kryptonian Mythology(inspired by Flyby)
7. Earth one(idea of Robot army and spaceships backing the Alien invader).
8. Last son(some aspects on Alien invasion)

No Birthright sadly.As for clark travelling the world,its not potrayed anyway like it was in Birthright.Its potrayed rather similarly to Bruces travels in Batman begins.Which im not that thrilled about to be honest.I do wish the movie borrowed more birthright elements but im okay with what we got

Old 02-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #619
Kryptonian Warrior
In Snyder I Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
How does eating have anything to do with merchandise?
I don't know, but you are a killer if you eat meat.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #620
Darkness Falls
The Right Amount Of Dirty

as a vegetarian myself, even i find that notion ridiculous

Better Call Saul
Old 02-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #621
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
I don't know, but you are a killer if you eat meat.
I must be a stone cold killer then....

Old 02-16-2013, 06:19 AM   #622
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

What is happening to this thread...

Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #623
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Haha sorry i wasnt trying to get preachy or anything. I just like the idea of Superman being a vegan and the reasons i gave are just my personal views. *throws a bucket of blood on everyone* :P

Old 02-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #624
Kal-El.9859
Sent For A Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Your guess is as good as mine...

Old 02-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #625
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post

Lack of news all round I'd say,boredom leads to irrational thought,irrational thought leads to petty arguments,petty arguments lead to vegetarianism,or full scale nuclear war,I've seen it happen,and it's not pretty

Or a mass release of LSD into the water supply?

Closed Thread