The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

Old 11-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #76
Alistair
Eh? Custom Title?

Default Re: The Photography Thread - Part 1

Midnyte,

Closer the better, but I had this about 5 feet away since my son likes to move around a lot and didn't want to poke him in the eye with the brella shaft.

Alistair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #77
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

I'm always afraid that it will wash out the colors if I get too close because I don't have that much experience to change the power settings on my flash. From all those you posted, I still liked the 2nd one. I know you said the room was dark, and I noticed a yellowish shadow on some. I get that a lot on my own family photos and I can't stand it...I think my problem is caused by fluorescent bulbs.

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #78
Alistair
Eh? Custom Title?

Midnyte,

It's something you have to experiment with, IMO. Are you shooting manually when you are doing this, or are you using ETTL? There is a difference in how they behave if that's what your doing.

Yeah, I brought the shutter down a little bit to bring in ambient cause I wanted to see if it would overpower or not. It was just one big test since I tend to shoot manually, but this will make shooting kids ALOT easier, or if I'm there just for a few minutes. The only issue with ETTL it's not accurate from shot to shot as you can see. I was checking to see if stayed within the range.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:53 AM   #79
CGHulk
Green Guy

edit.

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead

Last edited by CGHulk; 11-09-2012 at 05:03 AM.
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:06 AM   #80
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
Midnyte,

It's something you have to experiment with, IMO. Are you shooting manually when you are doing this, or are you using ETTL? There is a difference in how they behave if that's what your doing.

Yeah, I brought the shutter down a little bit to bring in ambient cause I wanted to see if it would overpower or not. It was just one big test since I tend to shoot manually, but this will make shooting kids ALOT easier, or if I'm there just for a few minutes. The only issue with ETTL it's not accurate from shot to shot as you can see. I was checking to see if stayed within the range.
Manual mostly.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #81
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Can anyone here recommend a good fish eye lens? I don't think I want a circular one, but a rectangular. Also, should I get a crop sensor one, or a full frame? ( I do want to eventually upgrade to full frame).

Old 11-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #82
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

I found a good website describing the differences between rectangular and circular fish-eye lenses. Lots of good info here: http://lensesforhire.blogspot.com/20...heye-lens.html

Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #83
Alistair
Eh? Custom Title?

Midnyte,

Nice find. All right. Just curious, and that's the best way to learn, IMO. It took a long time for me to have it sink in, and I think a lot of people give up before it even reach's that point.

1) Sneek Peek of a shot I did today -

Old 11-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #84
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Quote:
Midnyte,

Nice find. All right. Just curious, and that's the best way to learn, IMO. It took a long time for me to have it sink in, and I think a lot of people give up before it even reach's that point.

1) Sneek Peek of a shot I did today -
Very cool. Please say you're making money now? You've obviously got the skills to shoot good family portraits.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #85
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Sunrise taken today

Last edited by Midnyte_Sun; 11-17-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #86
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Stars tonight

For some reason, I can't get the quality to show on these uploads...anybody have any tips for uploading to web?

Last edited by Midnyte_Sun; 11-18-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #87
Alistair
Eh? Custom Title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnyte_Sun View Post
Very cool. Please say you're making money now? You've obviously got the skills to shoot good family portraits.
This is a funny one, really. Apparently my style isn't for everyone, and I really need to start pushing the envelope, tho. At any rate, I've only been shooting co workers, and that's it.

Quote:
Sunrise taken today
Awesome colours!

Quote:
Stars tonight
For some reason, I can't get the quality to show on these uploads...anybody have any tips for uploading to web?
Image stacking? Did you have a mount and winged it? Just curious, for that is another side hobby of photography I wanna try since I live out in NM. Clear skies for miles.

For your question, no, not really due that the web compresses the crap out of images.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #88
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Quote:
This is a funny one, really. Apparently my style isn't for everyone, and I really need to start pushing the envelope, tho. At any rate, I've only been shooting co workers, and that's it.
Now's the time!

Quote:
Image stacking? Did you have a mount and winged it? Just curious, for that is another side hobby of photography I wanna try since I live out in NM. Clear skies for miles.

For your question, no, not really due that the web compresses the crap out of images.
Darn. I know there's something to do with creating a color profile, and something to do with pixel count that is preferred for web display...I've looked at a few videos on YT, but it's just not sinking in yet.

For that starry night picture, I pretty much winged it. It was a tripod, some caffeine, and an idea that you shouldn't shoot longer than 30 seconds because of streaking. Oh, BTW, I got myself a fish eye lens, its a Canon 8-15mm Fish Eye. That way, when I upgrade to full frame, I can use it for circular.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #89
Alistair
Eh? Custom Title?

Quote:
Now's the time!

Darn. I know there's something to do with creating a color profile, and something to do with pixel count that is preferred for web display...I've looked at a few videos on YT, but it's just not sinking in yet.

For that starry night picture, I pretty much winged it. It was a tripod, some caffeine, and an idea that you shouldn't shoot longer than 30 seconds because of streaking. Oh, BTW, I got myself a fish eye lens, its a Canon 8-15mm Fish Eye. That way, when I upgrade to full frame, I can use it for circular.
Thank you! Still not as strong as I would like to be, but I'm slowly getting there, IMO. Now I'm starting to understand how light really works, and going to move onto more lights. =) I mean, I've used two before, but going 3 plus a few more to start adding depth.

That's pretty dang good! I saw ya shot high, but getting that many stars is what amazed me to be honest.

Yep! Eventually I'll get a full frame too, and all of my current glass is oriented for that. Just need to get a 85, and a wide angle lens and then I'm in the park of whatever I'll ever need, IMO. I'm starting to travel with less and less gear. Thinking outside of the box to make it work.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #90
Piper Maru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Stars tonight

Love this shot! Orion the Hunter followed by Sirius.

Piper Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #91
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #92
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
[IMG]

This one looks like it belongs in an Iron Man film. I haven't been to a car expo in years...I need to go one day and realize how little money I have and how little I can afford.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #93
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Quote:
Thank you! Still not as strong as I would like to be, but I'm slowly getting there, IMO. Now I'm starting to understand how light really works, and going to move onto more lights. =) I mean, I've used two before, but going 3 plus a few more to start adding depth.

That's pretty dang good! I saw ya shot high, but getting that many stars is what amazed me to be honest.

Yep! Eventually I'll get a full frame too, and all of my current glass is oriented for that. Just need to get a 85, and a wide angle lens and then I'm in the park of whatever I'll ever need, IMO. I'm starting to travel with less and less gear. Thinking outside of the box to make it work.
I remember you said, you got this Tamron lens that you use for almost every type of shootiong, which one was it? I need a good lens for portraits and video, I'm thinking the new Canon pancake lens, but I probably just need a good 35mm (for eventual full frame) one.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #94
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper Maru View Post
Love this shot! Orion the Hunter followed by Sirius.
I love astronomy, but I really wanted to capture the milky way, but it wasn't meant to be that night. I think to the left of Orion, there was Mars...Mars has a reddish tinge to it. I think Jupiter was somewhere too, but I forgot where.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #95
Alistair
Eh? Custom Title?

Quote:
I remember you said, you got this Tamron lens that you use for almost every type of shootiong, which one was it? I need a good lens for portraits and video, I'm thinking the new Canon pancake lens, but I probably just need a good 35mm (for eventual full frame) one.
I use this bad boy (Heavy as it looks):

Tamron 70-200mm

Along with a 28-70. It depends on what your needs are, but they the last one makes a fantastic walk around lens, IMO. The other one I tend to use for portraits, tho.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 AM   #96
thalidomide
The Enemy

Quote:
I use this bad boy (Heavy as it looks):

Tamron 70-200mm

Along with a 28-70. It depends on what your needs are, but they the last one makes a fantastic walk around lens, IMO. The other one I tend to use for portraits, tho.

God Damnit!

I'm never going to post in this forum again

thalidomide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #97
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

LOL @Thalidomide, what kind of camera do you have again?

Old 11-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #98
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

i'd kill for a decent 400mm that didnt cost over £900

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
the_ultimate_evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #99
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

TUE,

Online auctions are your friend. I just saw a Canon L series 100-400mm lens go in the states for $1,051 on E-Bay (Click here to see the bid)

I got a Canon 70-300 USM used, for $699 last year.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #100
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Anybody else have tripod dilemmas? I was in a public city area a few months ago and a security guard came by in a few minutes to tell me that tripods are not allowed.

I heard some people say that monopods, gorillapods, are the way to go, but some security guards with power trips will notice you are making a stand and automatically think you are a professional, and hence come and tell you to put it away.

What are ways to stabilize your camera at night time for long exposures without some ridiculous ISO? Have any of you actually gotten permits to shoot in a city with a tripod?