View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #76
KingMadness
Side-Kick

Default Re: Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - Part 8

Watch the big bang theory. Kaley Cuoco can emote EXTREMELY well. You know exactly when she's embarrassed, impressed, happy, disgusted, angry, sympathetic, etc.

If Kaley could dye her hair and get back to her season 1 figure plus some muscle, she'd make an incredible Wonder Woman that most importantly, can display a range of emotions very well.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 AM   #77
Project862006
Banned User

i dont mind young looking for tv show but she is too young looking imo look at other cw super hero shows

Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #78
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

^ it's wrong how there's such a lack of SV love in the world

Rosenbaum, Schnider, Welling, Durance, Glover, and Allison Mack had some of the best bits of the show

And yeah, for the cast of the new CW series, I just hope they bring in someone who's can grow to be iconic (and if all things work out, jump into the big-screen in her own film). THAT would be quite a success for the character.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #79
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
What happens with Diana I think is that because she is this sort of soapbox for feminism, there's an objection to giving her an arc, because it means that she starts out unenlightened, and not the ideal. This is fine for most characters, but as WW has an ideal of real world justice to women, not having that ideal from the beginning feels like a statement that the ideal is not supremely important. Gender Equality should not have to be earned, after all. Likewise, the same soapbox inspires some to make Paradise Island a Utopia, (contradictorily believing in gender equality and eschewing men). This leaves her story with no room for growth or conflict outside of that of the villain, regardless of how well intentioned the desires are. While the core tenets of Batman are a genre, and even Superman has prototypical superhero, for some the core tenets of Wonder Woman are gender-political ideal. This provides a rather limited set of storytelling. It's not enough that this be the message of the film, but it must be adopted by every female character from the outset. This makes for a great teaching tool, but not a good story, and certainly not something that can bring masculinity and skeptics into the world that's being built. The best way to avoid preaching to the audience is to have the main character be the one being converted. This is Diana's 'lost guy with a beard' moment. She needs it if she is really going to be equal with Superman and Batman, and not just propped up to be equal as she has been in comics.

Let the Hippolyta be wrong. The movie isn't about her, it's okay if she's not perfect. Let Diana learn. This way the audience can get into these principles naturally as opposed to having them preached to them by some girl who just got here. Does that make Themyscira fundamentalist? Well... yeah. They're an isolationist monarchy with a blatantly sexist foreign policy. What's cool about that, and different from SA is that everyone except Diana 'gets it.' Everyone else is totally down for this except for Diana, because she's the only one that hasn't dealt with men before.
I'd agree with all those points in general. The only thing that I'd add is this: it's easy to write off Themyscira as this blatant, sexist monarchy that's antithetic towards progress, that certainly makes for good drama but it somewhat goes against the very thing that Marston was creating. Granted, his portrayal and ideas aren't less controversial either, but if Marston's Amazons started off trying to denounce the age-old impression that Amazons are barbaric, by making them radical feminists would just do the opposite of that. I think I agree when you're saying that Diana's arc is more important and her conflict with Hippolyta is the one human drama that should be made prominent--especially since it has that opportunity to explore radical feminism versus more liberal feminism--and I agree. Make that Hippolyta's policy. But cast Themyscira itself as a Paradise. And no, not something that embraces a chauvinistic view of womankind being superior -- don't make it a radical feminist paradise, but a humanist paradise. Otherwise the only thing Diana would want to do after she puts her own ideas into words when she comes into contact with man's world is to "get away from home" and while that's great and all, I don't think I'd be okay with Wonder Woman having this repressed hostility towards her own land. Her own mom's a different story. Just wanted to point out that difference. Keep it a Paradise, hence all the conflict and importance of Themyscira, but don't make it about feminism, but what feminism fights for: gender-equality.

That's how I see it.

I know it contradicts on a core level: how can Hippolyta, a radical, be different from the land she rules over? Or how can a radical queen rule a liberal land? I think it could go on to show the differences between the two and make it less blatant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I don't understand the obsession with Diana looking mature. The actress should have presence, and be able to ACT mature and with gravitas when the film calls for it, but an origin film about Diana is likely going to be about a younger woman.
Yes, exactly. What we need is a good actress who can act. And while it's great to judge actresses based on their previous work, there's still the possibility that someone out of the list has a Diana-esque quality she hasn't shown in her past works. So yeah, there's still the possibility of going beyond surface looks when it comes down to it. I'm partial to Bridget Regan because I find her attractive and Diana-esque. But that doesn't mean others can't pull the part off well.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:

Last edited by Nave 'Torment'; 09-11-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:56 AM   #80
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordacar View Post
She still has an advantage in that most of the general audience have never seen the terrible pilot.
I thought Palicki looked the part, and almost like the Bruce Timm WW from the Justice League series. That's what I would like to see. I've always thought a Lucy Lawless/Xena look is just a bit too manly for my tastes.

And it's true that most of the general audience haven't seen Palicki in the part or even know of the existence of that pilot. She definitely had the height for Diana as well. I'd like to see someone like that who towers above everyone else.

But I agree she was badly written and should never have thrown that pipe through the thug's neck. David E Kelly didn't know what he was doing with WW anyway.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #81
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I live in a world where Bridget Regan is prioritized over Emily Blunt on basis of acting.

And then Blunt is questioned whether or not she can bring fierceness to a role.

Hilarious.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #82
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
I live in a world where Bridget Regan is prioritized over Emily Blunt on basis of acting.

Hilarious.

Eh, it happens...

Last edited by LibidoLoca; 09-11-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #83
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Give the lasso to a newcomer I say. That's how it's always worked.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #84
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

i wanted jaime alexander but i think it safe to say she won't be diana. sucks though.

Last edited by ЯɘvlveR; 09-11-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #85
Airwings
Waves of air

What kind of music does Wonder Woman need? A big orchestral score - like John Williams composed for Supes & SW - or something else?
Should there be elements of greek music in it?

Old 09-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #86
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

I'm gonna go with speed metal.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #87
Powerman34
Side-Kick

Heavy orchestral...maybe Hans Zimmer can come up with something?

Old 09-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #88
Airwings
Waves of air

Powerman34 took this question seriously, ЯɘvlveR did not.
Zimmer may be good. But I think James Horner could come up with something extremely good.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:56 PM   #89
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Old 09-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #90
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
^ it's wrong how there's such a lack of SV love in the world

Rosenbaum, Schnider, Welling, Durance, Glover, and Allison Mack had some of the best bits of the show
QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post
Watch the big bang theory. Kaley Cuoco can emote EXTREMELY well. You know exactly when she's embarrassed, impressed, happy, disgusted, angry, sympathetic, etc.

If Kaley could dye her hair and get back to her season 1 figure plus some muscle, she'd make an incredible Wonder Woman that most importantly, can display a range of emotions very well.
Didn't she wear a Wonder Woman costume in an episode of the big bang theory?

Last edited by Young Superman; 09-11-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #91
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I thought Palicki looked the part, and almost like the Bruce Timm WW from the Justice League series. That's what I would like to see. I've always thought a Lucy Lawless/Xena look is just a bit too manly for my tastes.

And it's true that most of the general audience haven't seen Palicki in the part or even know of the existence of that pilot. She definitely had the height for Diana as well. I'd like to see someone like that who towers above everyone else.

But I agree she was badly written and should never have thrown that pipe through the thug's neck. David E Kelly didn't know what he was doing with WW anyway.
really while she looked very tough and fierce she also has a warmth kindness to her that made her very relatable

imo xena should be the template for WW

beautiful with a great warrior physique who while sexy wasn't sexualized but also strong and fierce at the same time had a warmth to her and was very vulnerable at times

Last edited by Project862006; 09-11-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #92
KingMadness
Side-Kick

Quote:

Hilarious.
WHO THE **** IS EMILY BLUNT REALLY? THE GIRL AIN'T MERYL STREEP, YALL SERIOUSLY NEED TO HOP OFF. My God, some of you guys act like "omg omg this girl is Kate Winslet, she's Meryl Streep! She should get the part!"

Where is our proof that she can handle and exude the physicality and confidence of the role? I know where Bridget Regan's proof is, it's her fantastic, and widely critically acclaimed work on The Legend of the Seeker. Has Emily Blunt in her entire career had to do any advanced fighting of any kind, ever?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #93
KingMadness
Side-Kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUXdC2fQ9jQ

There you go. Random Emily Blunt interview vid, I don't see Wonder Woman at all. Youtube any Bridget Regan interview vid. Hell google image her. Anything. Bridget Regan just 100% exudes Wonder Woman in looks, posture, mannerisms, her actions. Looking at Bridget feels literally like your looking at Wonder Woman.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #94
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Thankfully, casting directors cast people based on how they look and act as a character, not random interviews.

Emily Blunt HAS sported a good look for Wonder Woman before, as many people have posted photographic evidence of throughout the thread, and she's got more than the acting skills and screen presence to pull it off.

I actually did watch Legend of the Seeker, and I think Regan is just fine, but hardly "The Definitive Option" for anything.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
Old 09-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #95
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

Bridget Regan all the way.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:21 AM   #96
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post

This.

I don't want to see a mature, manly looking Wonder Woman, we did get that (in a way) in the Xena the warrior series.

Bruce Timm WW all the way.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 09-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #97
Silvermoth
Avenger

Xena? Manly? No.

Xena was strong and epic because she was a woman of course.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Old 09-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #98
Project862006
Banned User

how was xena manly?yes she was powerful and fierce ans has a strong look of a woman and was a big girl at 5'9 but she wasn't manly

Old 09-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #99
NigelHalsey
Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
how was xena manly?yes she was powerful and fierce ans has a strong look of a woman and was a big girl at 5'9 but she wasn't manly

Now that's Wonder Woman. Too bad. Not too late to be Hippolyta though.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #100
superion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post
WHO THE **** IS EMILY BLUNT REALLY? THE GIRL AIN'T MERYL STREEP, YALL SERIOUSLY NEED TO HOP OFF. My God, some of you guys act like "omg omg this girl is Kate Winslet, she's Meryl Streep! She should get the part!"

Where is our proof that she can handle and exude the physicality and confidence of the role? I know where Bridget Regan's proof is, it's her fantastic, and widely critically acclaimed work on The Legend of the Seeker. Has Emily Blunt in her entire career had to do any advanced fighting of any kind, ever?
Regan's work on the seeker received wide critical acclaim? Really? From who?

Closed Thread