The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #351
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,847
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
That's just wishful thinking. The reason Marvel limits themselves to two films per year has nothing to do with how many properties are available to them; hell, they've got so many potential franchises already under their banner that, right now, they could easily be churning out a half dozen or more films each year. They're not suddenly going to start ramping up production just because they acquire (back) even *more* properties.




Ant-Man 2015
Dr. Strange 2016
Black Panther 2016
The Incredible Hulk 2 2017
Captain/Ms. Marvel 2017
Avengers 3 2018

Works perfect.
Expand the roster for a truly huge and epic Avengers 3, featuring:

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Hulk
Black Widow
Hawkeye
Falcon
War Machine
Giant-Man (Hank Pym)
Ant-Man (Scott Lang)
Wasp
Dr. Strange
Black Panther
Ms. Marvel


AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Guardians of the Galaxy | Lucy
pr0xyt0xin is offline  
Old 01-26-2013, 08:09 PM   #352
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,958
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Ant-Man 2015
Dr. Strange 2016
Black Panther 2016
The Incredible Hulk 2 2017
Captain/Ms. Marvel 2017
Avengers 3 2018

Works perfect.
Expand the roster for a truly huge and epic Avengers 3, featuring:

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Hulk
Black Widow
Hawkeye
Falcon
War Machine
Giant-Man (Hank Pym)
Ant-Man (Scott Lang)
Wasp
Dr. Strange
Black Panther
Ms. Marvel


AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!
I would love for that to happen but I don't see them leaving out Cap and Thor sequels for Captain Marvel or Black Panther when they already would be giving two new characters films. I am mildly interested in how big the roster will be by A3 though. My slightly more conservative roster:

Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Hulk
Black Widow
Hawkeye
Iron Patriot/War Machine
Falcon
Ant-Man
Wasp
Doctor Strange
Captain Marvel*

I would hope that Carol would be introduced and turned into Captain Marvel at some point in the phases although I don't see her getting that movie. My hope is that she's introduced in Cap 2 and becomes Ms. Marvel in A2.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #353
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,747
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Yeah, I think Marvel's two-film strategy is going to come back and bite them in the ass for Phase III. It still works fine for Phase II, but in Phase III, they're going to have to weigh introducing new superheroes into the MCU versus just rehashing the Big Three/Four. My prospective Phase III wishlist above illustrates that --- I seriously doubt either Marvel or the fans would be comfortable going three years without seeing another installment of Iron Man, Cap, or Thor, until Avengers 3.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 03:39 AM   #354
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

From everything Kevin Feige, Stan Lee, and everyone else at Marvel have been talking about I see the perfect Phase 3 being:

Ant-Man(2015)
Dr. Strange(2016)
GotG 2(2016)
Heroes For Hire w/Luke Cage and Iron Fist lead roles(2017)
Either IM/Thor/Cap sequel(2017)
Inhumans(2018)
Defenders(2018) Giving Hulk spotlight again with Doc Strange and maybe Namor and whoever else they wanna add to them

To me the phases are going like this Phase 1 origin stories to set up the universe, Phase 2 sequels to the big 4 showing that they can still function as separate movies and by putting out GotG showing that they can bring new characters to the universe then with the success of GotG Phase 3 full steam with bring more characters to the universe

blalex620 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 05:03 AM   #355
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

If Marvel only introduces one to two new character films each phase that's going to be a big problem for them because it'd lead to people becoming tired of the same movies getting sequels... We have to remember the general public has an understanding of the concept of a shared movie universe between Marvel characters therefore if Marvel doesn't expand the universe beyond IM, Thor, and Cap then people will get tired of it

And as for a Defenders movie I see it being a huge possibility because it'd be a whole different take than the Avengers team movie which would surprise movie goers which is what Marvel wants to do

blalex620 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #356
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,211
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
If Marvel only introduces one to two new character films each phase that's going to be a big problem for them because it'd lead to people becoming tired of the same movies getting sequels... We have to remember the general public has an understanding of the concept of a shared movie universe between Marvel characters therefore if Marvel doesn't expand the universe beyond IM, Thor, and Cap then people will get tired of it

And as for a Defenders movie I see it being a huge possibility because it'd be a whole different take than the Avengers team movie which would surprise movie goers which is what Marvel wants to do

Welcome to the Hype, blalex!

I think you're absolutely right about The Defenders being on Marvel's to-do list. As soon as Feige confirmed Doctor Strange that is the second thing I thought of (after how freaking awesome Strange is going to be). They will have The Hulk and Strange ready to go and can either give Namor a solo film or simply address his origin in the team's first outing. Hawkeye could also appear in The Defenders since he joined them early on, ironically enough after feeling like The Avengers didn't appreciate his contributions and pushed him off to the side. The roster could be rounded out by adding The Valkyrie and a couple of wild cards like Hellcat, Hercules or the Black Knight.

I love Marvel's "non-team team" and would be thrilled if they made it to the big screen. Could we see a version of the Avengers-Defenders War in the MCU? Frankly, I would be a million times happier to see that than Civil War. That story has the added benefit of giving Loki another chance to work his villainous wiles on both teams along with the dread Dormammu.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #357
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,747
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

You can't do a Defenders movie without .

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #358
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,211
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
You can't do a Defenders movie without .

Sure you can. Much as I love Norrin, he isn't irreplaceable. The Silver Surfer was only a member for a brief period, with sporadic reappearances. He was essentially like The Hulk was in the early days of The Avengers. There are a lot other members who spent much more time with the team. And since Marvel is not getting the Surfer back any time soon, they will want to move forward with the dozens of potential members they do own for their second major superhero group.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #359
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop
 
Hawkingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: With the Hawkeyes
Posts: 5,733
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

I doubt a Defenders movie will happen, since they're too similar (on the surface) to Avengers.

Hawkingbird is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #360
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I doubt a Defenders movie will happen, since they're too similar (on the surface) to Avengers.
If they market it right they could definitely do a Defenders movie along with an Avengers movie. If from the beginning they portray the Defenders as a not so team team that does the missions that no other team will do then it could be done

blalex620 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #361
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,958
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Problem with that is that they already marketed the Avengers like that.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #362
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,747
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Problem with that is that they already marketed the Avengers like that.
Well...yes and no.
The MCU Avengers are still just a group of supers who got together one time to save the planet. They're definitely going to regroup and coalesce into a more cohesive fighting force at a later date --- it's inevitable --- but for now, they're not the UN-chartered paramilitary super-organization that they are in the comics. Once they become that, then a Defenders team begins to make more sense down the line, as the uber-loners who simply do not play well enough with others to warrant a coveted spot on the Avenger team.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #363
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Well...yes and no.
The MCU Avengers are still just a group of supers who got together one time to save the planet. They're definitely going to regroup and coalesce into a more cohesive fighting force at a later date --- it's inevitable --- but for now, they're not the UN-chartered paramilitary super-organization that they are in the comics. Once they become that, then a Defenders team begins to make more sense down the line, as the uber-loners who simply do not play well enough with others to warrant a coveted spot on the Avenger team.
I totally agree and they could go the route with Strange needing to form a team that could take on a mystic enemy that brainwashes the Avengers leading to an Avengers and Defenders fight that could start in A3 then lead into the Defenders

blalex620 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #364
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,490
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

The more and more I hear these terms(such as phase and cameo) the more it occurs to me that Marvel doesn't seem to be able to sell films on their own merit. The draw always seems to be that it's a part of something.
Can't blame them, there's no other reason I'd be interested in Guardians or Dr. Strange without this sort of approach.

DC seems to be doing things the other way..for now anyways.

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #365
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,958
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Iron Man, Thor, Cap were all sold on their own. IM3 is going to be more stand alone than those 3 films. Thor 2 seems to be heading in that direction as well. Putting easter eggs and hints in the films for fans does not mean they're not selling them on their own merit. Furthermore we know nothing of how the Guardians film will be handled, for all we know the only things that will show up in the films that have been in the MCU before are the Chitauri and Thanos.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #366
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
The more and more I hear these terms(such as phase and cameo) the more it occurs to me that Marvel doesn't seem to be able to sell films on their own merit. The draw always seems to be that it's a part of something.
Can't blame them, there's no other reason I'd be interested in Guardians or Dr. Strange without this sort of approach.

DC seems to be doing things the other way..for now anyways.
Well if you think about it these movies do also work as a standalone film even without watching all of the films one could still watch each film and pretty much understand what's going on

But at the same time there's no point to one cohesive universe if it doesn't all tie in together at certain points in time look at their comic universe, ever since Secret War in '04 (if I'm not mistaken) everything has been story arcs that span the whole companies list of books and then in between there's individual stories in each comic

In the end it's a comic book movie the major draw to Marvel's movies is that these characters and stories are part of a much larger universe and it's appealing to see just how each new character is going to fit into the universe

blalex620 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #367
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,490
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

I personally don't have a problem with it, just an observation.

It's not that the films don't/can't stand alone(arguable). It's that they seem to rely on generating buzz by way of the promise of a greater relevancy in the big event.

We're not so much buzzed about Dr. Strange himself, but this "phase 3" phenomenon.
Just so different from the old marvel days...

Like I said, it's working for them. If avengers had just randomly come out in 2008, It probably would have made Ironman money and a little bit extra for effort. This is a pretty snazzy business model. Ant man has as much buzz as any marvel film pre 2005 minus the spiderman stuff.

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #368
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,958
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

I disagree with you. We're in a phase 3 thread so obviously people are going to be talking about Strange in the context of phase 3, but elsewhere people are just excited to see a Doctor Strange movie getting made in general.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #369
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Very true and the general audience is more buzzed about the "bigger picture" but I know us fans are definitely buzzed for the individual characters I'm definitely excited for Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, and Heroes for Hire the most

blalex620 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #370
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,490
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

When I come across the articles on other sites, it tends to come with the term phase 3 or 2 or what ever.

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #371
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
When I come across the articles on other sites, it tends to come with the term phase 3 or 2 or what ever.
Are you talking about the Dr Strange articles?

if so then it only stands to reason that most of the people commenting on those sites are actual fans who are curious to see how they fit the character into the universe

blalex620 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #372
Aztec
Side-Kick
 
Aztec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,148
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Just curious. Do Ant-Man and Dr. Strange have a history of any kind in the comics? I'm honestly not too familar with either character. I'm curious for Phase 3 story purposes.

__________________
Iron Man Captain America Thor Hulk
Black Widow Hawkeye Quicksilver Scarlet Witch Vision
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Superman Batman Wonder Woman
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Aztec is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #373
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,211
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I personally don't have a problem with it, just an observation.

It's not that the films don't/can't stand alone(arguable). It's that they seem to rely on generating buzz by way of the promise of a greater relevancy in the big event.

We're not so much buzzed about Dr. Strange himself, but this "phase 3" phenomenon.
Just so different from the old marvel days...

Like I said, it's working for them. If avengers had just randomly come out in 2008, It probably would have made Ironman money and a little bit extra for effort. This is a pretty snazzy business model. Ant man has as much buzz as any marvel film pre 2005 minus the spiderman stuff.

What is this "we"? A lot of us are totally jazzed that Doctor Strange, Ant-Man and other heroes are going to get the big screen treatment in a few years. This is a dream come true for Marvel fans who have waited decades to see these characters in films, while others had their time in the spotlight. As someone who up until two years ago never thought she would see The Avengers and its biggest heroes in theaters, much less Ant-Man and Strange, every new film that Marvel Studios announces excites me just as much as the first few did.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #374
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
Just curious. Do Ant-Man and Dr. Strange have a history of any kind in the comics? I'm honestly not too familar with either character. I'm curious for Phase 3 story purposes.
Yes they do.
Ant-Man along with his wife Wasp were original founders of the Avengers and Ant-Man goes on to create Ultron who would be one of the strongest villains and Vision who would be one of the greatest heroes and goes on to create along with Iron Man and Mr Fantastic the supervillian jail know as project 47(if I'm not mistaken it's one of the 40s numbers)

Dr. Strange is the Sorcerer Supreme which means he's the greatest magic user in the universe and he goes on to found the Defenders team(which I am adamant on being made into a movie) which consists of him, the Hulk, Namor the Sub-Mariner, and the Silver Surfer

blalex620 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #375
Chewy
REDACTED
 
Chewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,016
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
DC seems to be doing things the other way..for now anyways.
???

Are they not leaning on Nolan's name to help sell Man of Steel, and planning on following that up with Justice League, and talking about spinning all the characters out of that?

How is that "the other way"?

Chewy is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.