The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #376
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,749
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
Yes they do.
Ant-Man along with his wife Wasp were original founders of the Avengers and Ant-Man goes on to create Ultron who would be one of the strongest villains and Vision who would be one of the greatest heroes and goes on to create along with Iron Man and Mr Fantastic the supervillian jail know as project 47(if I'm not mistaken it's one of the 40s numbers)

Dr. Strange is the Sorcerer Supreme which means he's the greatest magic user in the universe and he goes on to found the Defenders team(which I am adamant on being made into a movie) which consists of him, the Hulk, Namor the Sub-Mariner, and the Silver Surfer
Yes, all that's accurate; but if I'm reading right, Aztec was asking if Strange and Ant-Man have a history *together*. Which would be, basically, "no."

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #377
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,212
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
Just curious. Do Ant-Man and Dr. Strange have a history of any kind in the comics? I'm honestly not too familar with either character. I'm curious for Phase 3 story purposes.
Are you asking whether they have a history with each other, or about their individual histories? As far as I know, Strange and Pym were both members of The Defenders. (Pym was in his Yellowjacket identity.) I can't recall how they interacted, however. They would also have had contact at various times through the Avengers' history.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #378
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold
 
SoNicRaDiATioN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,614
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I personally don't have a problem with it, just an observation.

It's not that the films don't/can't stand alone(arguable). It's that they seem to rely on generating buzz by way of the promise of a greater relevancy in the big event.

We're not so much buzzed about Dr. Strange himself, but this "phase 3" phenomenon.
Just so different from the old marvel days...

Like I said, it's working for them. If avengers had just randomly come out in 2008, It probably would have made Ironman money and a little bit extra for effort. This is a pretty snazzy business model. Ant man has as much buzz as any marvel film pre 2005 minus the spiderman stuff.
This.

I'll echo what I said in the FF forums. The business model is fantastic. The MCU itself is becoming as big a selling point for much of the general audience as the individual films. Smaller properties (and great characters) like Ant-Man and Dr. Strange have much greater momentum and anticipation being attached to the MS runnaway train. There have definitely been some growing pains along the way, but the payoff has been incredible. I expect things to only get bigger and better moving forward, especially from a creative standpoint.

Personally, I'm as psyched for Ant-Man as I am for the "don't go bigger, go deeper..." Avengers 2.

__________________
GuardiansoftheGalaxyTheAvengersX2WinterSoldierDaysofFuturePast

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 01-27-2013 at 09:40 PM.
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #379
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yes, all that's accurate; but if I'm reading right, Aztec was asking if Strange and Ant-Man have a history *together*. Which would be, basically, "no."
Ohhh haha makes sense

blalex620 is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #380
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,499
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
What is this "we"? A lot of us are totally jazzed that Doctor Strange, Ant-Man and other heroes are going to get the big screen treatment in a few years. This is a dream come true for Marvel fans who have waited decades to see these characters in films, while others had their time in the spotlight. As someone who up until two years ago never thought she would see The Avengers and its biggest heroes in theaters, much less Ant-Man and Strange, every new film that Marvel Studios announces excites me just as much as the first few did.
I say we meaning "your" type being the minority. Especially with the non marvel crowd. But then again this is an assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
???

Are they not leaning on Nolan's name to help sell Man of Steel, and planning on following that up with Justice League, and talking about spinning all the characters out of that?

How is that "the other way"?
1. I never said anything about using a director/producer credit in this model(notice marvel doesn't and this was an analysis of them).

2. I said as of yet. As in all their films thus far haven't said dick all about sharing a universe. If anything the producers have said the opposite numerous times. Granted that may change after MOS. But so far each of the films released have been sold on their own merit. Moreover, this supposed JLA project is supposedly working backwards in light of the marvel model. Group event first.

Either way, Marvel seems to have the ticket right now, good for them.

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #381
Chewy
REDACTED
 
Chewy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,016
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
1. I never said anything about using a director/producer credit in this model(notice marvel doesn't and this was an analysis of them).

2. I said as of yet. As in all their films thus far haven't said dick all about sharing a universe. If anything the producers have said the opposite numerous times. Granted that may change after MOS. But so far each of the films released have been sold on their own merit. Moreover, this supposed JLA project is supposedly working backwards in light of the marvel model. Group event first.

Either way, Marvel seems to have the ticket right now, good for them.
The entire idea and the gist I got from your post was the synergy, that instead of each movie having to build buzz from scratch they're building off the previous films and projects.

Whether they're selling it as a "phase" or selling it as from the same individuals, whether they're starting with the event and spinning out or building up to the event. There are obviously differences in execution. But it's still the same basic idea of building synergy. It's still using the idea that it's a piece of a bigger work. It's the same general corporate strategy.

Chewy is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #382
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,499
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

I personally just don't think DC/WB has been employing that for their success as of yet.
One look at their biggest money maker(Batman) will drive this point home.

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #383
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme
 
R_Hythlodeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: vienna, austria (europe) 6.784 km east of new york
Posts: 5,332
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

We're not so much buzzed about Dr. Strange himself, but...
speak for yourself, bro.

__________________
every Summer
Some Dude **** Sexy Chick **** The Supporting Cast **** Evil British Guy
in
RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------


ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic


R_Hythlodeus is offline  
Old 01-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #384
xeno000
Raining hell from above
 
xeno000's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Knowhere
Posts: 7,212
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I personally just don't think DC/WB has been employing that for their success as of yet.
One look at their biggest money maker(Batman) will drive this point home.
The MOS trailer says it straight up: "From Zack Snyder, Director of Watchmen & 300 and Producer Christopher Nolan, Director of The Dark Knight Trilogy." That comes on screen before the title card even appears. Henry Cavill, the star of the film, gets billed behind the producer and director for a reason: WB is hoping to sell the film to the audience based on Snyder's and Nolan's past films.

This is different from what Marvel does only in that it uses the filmography of directors to market MOS, rather than playing up on a connected universe. This is a more specious argument for the film's appeal and quality than Marvel's stance that people who enjoyed the studio's previous films in the series will like the succeeding ones. That never stopped anyone in Hollywood from using it, of course.

At least Cavill gets billed after the director and producer but before Crowe and Costner, unlike Christopher Reeve who took third billing to Brando and Hackman.

xeno000 is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #385
Aztec
Side-Kick
 
Aztec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,149
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
Yes they do.
Ant-Man along with his wife Wasp were original founders of the Avengers and Ant-Man goes on to create Ultron who would be one of the strongest villains and Vision who would be one of the greatest heroes and goes on to create along with Iron Man and Mr Fantastic the supervillian jail know as project 47(if I'm not mistaken it's one of the 40s numbers)

Dr. Strange is the Sorcerer Supreme which means he's the greatest magic user in the universe and he goes on to found the Defenders team(which I am adamant on being made into a movie) which consists of him, the Hulk, Namor the Sub-Mariner, and the Silver Surfer
Thanks, but I meant history TOGETHER.

__________________
Iron Man Captain America Thor Hulk
Black Widow Hawkeye Quicksilver Scarlet Witch Vision
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Superman Batman Wonder Woman
Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
Aztec is offline  
Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #386
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,499
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
The MOS trailer says it straight up: "From Zack Snyder, Director of Watchmen & 300 and Producer Christopher Nolan, Director of The Dark Knight Trilogy." That comes on screen before the title card even appears. Henry Cavill, the star of the film, gets billed behind the producer and director for a reason: WB is hoping to sell the film to the audience based on Snyder's and Nolan's past films.

This is different from what Marvel does only in that it uses the filmography of directors to market MOS, rather than playing up on a connected universe. This is a more specious argument for the film's appeal and quality than Marvel's stance that people who enjoyed the studio's previous films in the series will like the succeeding ones. That never stopped anyone in Hollywood from using it, of course.

At least Cavill gets billed after the director and producer but before Crowe and Costner, unlike Christopher Reeve who took third billing to Brando and Hackman.
Didn't know I was accusing anyone of being "specious" rather of what simply is strategy. I'm glad you at least acknowledge that there is a difference between what both studios are doing.

Filmography has been used since the beginning of film marketing, Spielberg loves it. Cameron loves it even more. What I'm talking about here is...well I'm sure you get it, you message implies that you do.

When the next spiderman is promoted with terminology such as "marvel phase 4" and not, from the director of 500 days of summer. I'll point it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
speak for yourself, bro.
always do

__________________
1992's Universal soldier is my favorite Wolverine vs Sabretooth movie.
Marvin is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 AM   #387
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Am I the only one who doesn't see an Iron Man 4 in Phase 3??

blalex620 is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 AM   #388
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,958
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

A lot of people aren't including IM4 in their lists. I didn't.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #389
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

I saw that a lot of people either included it or didn't include it but said it's likely to happen. As much as I love IM and RDJ I'm ready to see more characters

blalex620 is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 AM   #390
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,958
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Yeah I don't think we'll get one. If Tony is still walking after A2 I don't think we'll see him in another movie until A3. They'll probably give IM a bit of a break in terms of movies and use him being busy setting up the Avengers as its own organization separate from SHIELD as an excuse.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #391
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,181
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

I think for certain after IM3 we will still get Iron Man movies. It may be given a rest for 10 years or so while other stuff fills the void and when it comes back it'll be a recast(but probably not a reboot).

__________________
MCU - $7 billion and counting. Next up: kicking Harry Potter's butt.
kedrell is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #392
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 11,749
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Yeah I don't think we'll get one. If Tony is still walking after A2 I don't think we'll see him in another movie until A3. They'll probably give IM a bit of a break in terms of movies and use him being busy setting up the Avengers as its own organization separate from SHIELD as an excuse.
Yeah, I get the impression that Phase III will be where they introduce new characters; Iron Man, Thor and Cap may wind up getting a phase-long break. The only sequel I see for Phase III, other than the inevitable Avenger installment, is Hulk 2 (long overdue).

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 07:30 AM   #393
spideymouse
Side-Kick
 
spideymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,507
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yeah, I get the impression that Phase III will be where they introduce new characters; Iron Man, Thor and Cap may wind up getting a phase-long break. The only sequel I see for Phase III, other than the inevitable Avenger installment, is Hulk 2 (long overdue).
Hmm, I don't know. 5+ years between Thor and Cap sequels? You could be right, but I personally doubt it.

spideymouse is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #394
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,958
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I think for certain after IM3 we will still get Iron Man movies. It may be given a rest for 10 years or so while other stuff fills the void and when it comes back it'll be a recast(but probably not a reboot).
Oh yeah we're definitely going to get another IM film in continuity eventually. Don't expect it to happen before at least 2019 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yeah, I get the impression that Phase III will be where they introduce new characters; Iron Man, Thor and Cap may wind up getting a phase-long break. The only sequel I see for Phase III, other than the inevitable Avenger installment, is Hulk 2 (long overdue).
Don't agree about Cap and Thor. They'll only be on their second sequel in phase 3 and barring either one of them failing to meet expectations I figure they'll go ahead with them.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #395
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Don't agree about Cap and Thor. They'll only be on their second sequel in phase 3 and barring either one of them failing to meet expectations I figure they'll go ahead with them.
I agree, as much as I don't want it I see a sequel for Cap and Thor more than I see one for IM or TIH

blalex620 is offline  
Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #396
spideymouse
Side-Kick
 
spideymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,507
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
I agree, as much as I don't want it I see a sequel for Cap and Thor more than I see one for IM or TIH
Hopefully we'll see them all! I plan to be alive for at least the next 10 years, so I just need to bide my time.

spideymouse is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 05:19 AM   #397
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Ant-Man and Strange alone make Phase 3 amazing but as long as I get my Heroes for Hire or Inhumans I'd be a happy fanboy.

Though to really make my life Defenders would have to be made lol

blalex620 is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #398
spideymouse
Side-Kick
 
spideymouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,507
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
Ant-Man and Strange alone make Phase 3 amazing but as long as I get my Heroes for Hire or Inhumans I'd be a happy fanboy.

Though to really make my life Defenders would have to be made lol
As long as Marvel keeps putting out good movies that are well received, I think we'll eventually see the MCU reach as far and deep as it feasibly can into the Marvel Universe and its mythos. However, people change and so do establishments. There will come a day when Feige calls it quits, a day when an MCU movie will flat out bomb, and a day when money will win over creativity. I definitely don't think it will be during Phase 3, but you've got to be ready for anything at any time.

Regimes fall everyday. I'll try not to cry about it.

spideymouse is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #399
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,958
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
Ant-Man and Strange alone make Phase 3 amazing but as long as I get my Heroes for Hire or Inhumans I'd be a happy fanboy.

Though to really make my life Defenders would have to be made lol
Don't see Inhumans happening until after A3 imo. Here's three ways Marvel could go about phase III.

Route 1: Expand the Avengers roster by introducing Ant-Man and Dr. Strange and give the older members sequels as well leading up to A3. Then after Avengers 3 release the Inhumans movie as the second film of that year as the start of a new phase or in 2019. A balanced approach:

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor 3, Hulk 2
2017: Cap 3, Doctor Strange
2018: Avengers 3, Inhumans/GotG2 (depending on how the first does)

Route 2: Or, they could go all out and dedicate phase III to a New Avengers type route and almost only introduce new properties...which when you really think about it makes no sense financially, but hey, just for ****s and giggles:

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Heroes for Hire, Inhumans/Black Panther
2018: Avengers 3

Route 3: The above is super risky. The final route they could go, one that actually makes a lot of sense. Instead of having phase III take place over the same course of time phase II did, make it a year or 2 longer to introduce more new properties while giving your old ones their due as well.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Hulk 2, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Heroes for Hire
2018: Cap 3, Black Panther
2019: Avengers 3

That way there is a new movie/Avenger every year along with an old one. My only problem with it is there leaves no room for a GotG sequel even if it ends up doing well. If I had to go with the most likely it would be route 1.

Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #400
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games
 
blalex620's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 753
Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

I'm thinking that instead of making it 4 years between A2 and A3 they're just going to pack 3 films in at least one of those years to make A3 come out in 2018 and still drop at least 3-4 new properties

blalex620 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.