The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #551
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

^^^ The only things I would change are the Heroes for Hire tv show which I wouldn't have set in the 70s. I'm all for a H4H TV show but only focusing on Cage and Fist and not set in the 70s but in modern times. I'd rather we get to see Cage and Fist in the MCU with everyone else. Plus idk how a Inhumans TV show would work. I think it'd be waaaay too expensive to produce.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #552
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by blalex620 View Post
^^^ The only things I would change are the Heroes for Hire tv show which I wouldn't have set in the 70s. I'm all for a H4H TV show but only focusing on Cage and Fist and not set in the 70s but in modern times. I'd rather we get to see Cage and Fist in the MCU with everyone else. Plus idk how a Inhumans TV show would work. I think it'd be waaaay too expensive to produce.
So (not surprisingly) I have rebuttals to those points. The reason for setting H4H in the 70s is to A. be a midway point between CA:TFA and the rest of the MCU. There are 50+ years of unexplored territory in this saga and I think eventually they need to account for that. and B. The Avengers' threats are only going to get bigger and badder. Power Man and Iron Fist (to me at least) seem more like street level heroes. If anything the should serve as Nick Fury's inspiration for The Avengers Initiative.

And as far as an Inhumans show... When reading Inhumans comics I always got a soap opera/family matters feel from it. Personal opinion, I know. But I feel like they have a story that would work best played out week after week rather than in a two hour hurrah on the big screen. That being said, my timeline depicts their first season airing in 2018, after two (hopefully successful) other Marvel TV series. Thus allowing them the biggest budget possible for a show on ABC.

EDIT: plus wouldn't it be fantastic to see a show on TV where the main character couldn't speak. If that didn't draw in an audience I don't know what would.

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 04-07-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #553
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
So (not surprisingly) I have rebuttals to those points. The reason for setting H4H in the 70s is to A. be a midway point between CA:TFA and the rest of the MCU. There are 50+ years of unexplored territory in this saga and I think eventually they need to account for that. and B. The Avengers' threats are only going to get bigger and badder. Power Man and Iron Fist (to me at least) seem more like street level heroes. If anything the should serve as Nick Fury's inspiration for The Avengers Initiative.

And as far as an Inhumans show... When reading Inhumans comics I always got a soap opera/family matters feel from it. Personal opinion, I know. But I feel like they have a story that would work best played out week after week rather than in a two hour hurrah on the big screen. That being said, my timeline depicts their first season airing in 2018, after two (hopefully successful) other Marvel TV series. Thus allowing them the biggest budget possible for a show on ABC.
While it is good to explore all the time between CA:TFA and now, it's not particularly necessary. Like you said about the Inhumans it's just my opinion. I don't think it's fair to say Cage and Fist couldn't be Avengers. I mean Cage was well received enough to warrant an extensive stint on the Avengers roster. Just because their powers aren't extreme like the some of the other members they could still work as Avengers. Widow, Hawkeye, Ant-Man and Wasp did and one could say they don't help much in the way of big villains. And even if they never became Avengers I would still like to see them interact with the likes of everyone else in the MCU.

As for the Inhumans it definitely is possible that they could get a big budget enough to become a show. I've never read an Inhumans comic except for tie-ins to crossover events so I can't say if they'd work as a show or not. That'd just have to be one hell of a budget.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:12 AM   #554
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
While it might be interesting from a completionist standpoint to fill in the blanks from 1945 to 2008 in the MCU, it's safe to say that there's not enough superhero/supervillain action going on in that time frame to warrant a serious exploration. In IM1, Fury famously asks Tony: "You think you're the only one....?" And the short answer for both Tony and the audience (at that time) is: "...Well, yeah." Cap is the only known superhero until Iron Man comes along, and Cap has been presumed dead for close to 70 years. If there had been any major super figures in the interim (whether hero or villain), Tony would've certainly been aware of it.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #555
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
While it might be interesting from a completionist standpoint to fill in the blanks from 1945 to 2008 in the MCU, it's safe to say that there's not enough superhero/supervillain action going on in that time frame to warrant a serious exploration. In IM1, Fury famously asks Tony: "You think you're the only one....?" And the short answer for both Tony and the audience (at that time) is: "...Well, yeah." Cap is the only known superhero until Iron Man comes along, and Cap has been presumed dead for close to 70 years. If there had been any major super figures in the interim (whether hero or villain), Tony would've certainly been aware of it.
keyword being "major"

I don't think this type of "street-level" action would be all that difficult to convey as an underground secret. Luke Cage and Iron Fist would be private investigators with special skills. The general public (those who were even aware of them) would be oblivious to the fact that they are "super" at all.

If they included Daredevil in that mix, he would be a blind lawyer by day and little more than an urban legend at night. Same with Elektra and the Hand. Beyond that they could add purely realistic heroes with a taste for Captain America's theatricality, Frank Castle, Nick Fury, Moon Knight.

In the end if Tony Stark ever heard these stories it would be about "1970s New York street thugs, gangs and violence, vigilantes and urban legends." Only Fury knows the truth.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #556
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Right, if there were "street-level" vigilante heroes during that whole time then the world would have known about them. In the MCU it's made to believe or at least seem that after the death of Cap, Iron Man was the first majorly known superhero. If there were many street level heroes then the world might not have been so surprised to see Iron Man. It's probably going to be made to seem like after the events of Avengers is when New York started to have a "vigilante hero problem"

Old 04-08-2013, 01:12 AM   #557
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
keyword being "major"

I don't think this type of "street-level" action would be all that difficult to convey as an underground secret. Luke Cage and Iron Fist would be private investigators with special skills. The general public (those who were even aware of them) would be oblivious to the fact that they are "super" at all.

If they included Daredevil in that mix, he would be a blind lawyer by day and little more than an urban legend at night. Same with Elektra and the Hand. Beyond that they could add purely realistic heroes with a taste for Captain America's theatricality, Frank Castle, Nick Fury, Moon Knight.

In the end if Tony Stark ever heard these stories it would be about "1970s New York street thugs, gangs and violence, vigilantes and urban legends." Only Fury knows the truth.
Granted this could work if explained correctly but then it delegates these heroes to pretty much "dead" status. It might be doing a little bit too much to have to explain the sliding timeline theory for all of these heroes to be in the past and in the modern day too.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #558
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

My point was that the term "vigilante" would hardly even need to be used. If the Heroes for Hire were literally just PI's, they'd hardly garner the attention of anyone beyond the surrounding area. If Daredevil worked in the shadows and left no witnesses, no one would be certain he even did exist. Punisher would hardly be seen as more than a nutcase with PTSD. Fury is a government spy and Moon Knight works similarly to Daredevil.

In fact, I find it hard to believe that for 50 years not a single person attempted vigilantism in the MCU. And then starting in 2010 we are supposed to believe they ALL do? You might argue, "oh they saw the Avengers do it and want to help." Then why did no one take that mindset after seeing Captain America do it in the 1940s?

Old 04-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #559
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

I would actually really dig if they took it upon themselves to act on Joe Carnahan's pitched 1970s Daredevil movie. I know alotta fans like having all the heroes in the same timeframe so they can interact, but I think that sounds like a great aspect to explore for the MCU.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #560
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I think from a marketing standpoint its genius. Essentially they break their universe into upwards of three sectors:

1. Earth's Mightiest Heroes in the modern day
2. street-level heroes in the 1970s
3. war-heroes of the 1940s
4. cosmic-level galactic heroes and beyond.

What does this accomplish you ask? Well for one we aren't all asking, well... where is Tony Stark? Why wouldn't Iron Man just come to fight The Hand, The Kingpin and all of Luke Cage's villains? He'd do a much better job at it anyway.

For another, basic crowd control. So we don't ever end up with an Avengers film that looks like this:

Not that that wouldn't be amazing. It's just never going to be feasible.

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 04-08-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #561
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

^^^ From a marketing standpoint that could turn into one big cluster****. People are going to beg the questions... what's the point of having multiple concurrent timelines running? Why don't they just make it all set in one time?
Even though it makes sense from in our minds because we're used to the comics doing stuff like that to the general public it could not turn out so well. And as far as people wondering " Where is Iron Man?" I don't think as many people think that as we may like to believe. People understand one man can't be in multiple places at once. That's like people in Los Angeles asking where's the police force from New York to solve their problems. The GA understands one person can't solve the problems of the world that's why they understand that there are multiple heroes.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #562
Double B
Side-Kick

To be honest, I think the reason Marvel will never go for separating the franchises into different time eras will be in the interests of longevity. They've said they view this series as a long-term cinematic universe, with eventual recasting (and no reboots). And with any long-term franchise, there will come the time when they want to change things up/focus on different characters/change the regular roster.

I just can't see them placing a character like Daredevil in the 70's, thus removing any possibility of using him in the current era - when, in 5-10 years, they might appreciate the character's presence.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #563
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
My point was that the term "vigilante" would hardly even need to be used. If the Heroes for Hire were literally just PI's, they'd hardly garner the attention of anyone beyond the surrounding area. If Daredevil worked in the shadows and left no witnesses, no one would be certain he even did exist. Punisher would hardly be seen as more than a nutcase with PTSD. Fury is a government spy and Moon Knight works similarly to Daredevil.

In fact, I find it hard to believe that for 50 years not a single person attempted vigilantism in the MCU. And then starting in 2010 we are supposed to believe they ALL do? You might argue, "oh they saw the Avengers do it and want to help." Then why did no one take that mindset after seeing Captain America do it in the 1940s?
Granted, at the end of CATFA, we see the quick shot of kids playing in the street with their homemade Captain America shields, and Cap would definitely inspire a lot of folks; but Cap's role was as a true Super Soldier, not a costumed crimefighting vigilante. Aspiring "superheroes" back home would realize full well that they could never live up to the potential of Cap, because he endured an actual physical transformation, and, again, he wasn't in the streets fighting crime --- he was overseas fighting enemy armies. Not gonna attract a lot of wannabees for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
To be honest, I think the reason Marvel will never go for separating the franchises into different time eras will be in the interests of longevity. They've said they view this series as a long-term cinematic universe, with eventual recasting (and no reboots). And with any long-term franchise, there will come the time when they want to change things up/focus on different characters/change the regular roster.

I just can't see them placing a character like Daredevil in the 70's, thus removing any possibility of using him in the current era - when, in 5-10 years, they might appreciate the character's presence.
Exactly.
The MCU is about putting together all these superheroes and villains into a living, breathing, shared universe; parceling them out piecemeal into different eras where they're unlikely to ever cross paths severely limits that capacity. (And Joe Cornish's original script --- which hopefully has been rewritten post-Avengers --- for the Ant-Man movie is guilty of this, by making Hank Pym a 60s-era superhero and Scott Lang a modern version of the title character.)

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #564
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post

This. If they want to delve into what happened during 1945-2008 it can easily be rolled into the SHIELD TV show.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #565
OB12
Side-Kick

^^Yep. Agents of SHIELD gives Marvel an avenue to do these types of things if they want to without hindering the current events of the MCU. A couple of flashback episodes set in different time periods could be used to explore such things.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #566
antirock

Quote:
It's not necessary, but I think it would be very interesting.

Personally, I have always thought it would be a cool idea to have Ant-Man set in the 70's. Show Howard Stark and the formation of SHIELD. Maybe a young Nick Fury. I think that would be cool and be a nice change of pace.

It also has the added advantage of not over loading the current Avengers with too many characters by having their action take place in different times. If the original lineup makes it to Avengers 3, and then you are adding Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Wasp etc...That is a lot of people.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #567
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
This. If they want to delve into what happened during 1945-2008 it can easily be rolled into the SHIELD TV show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
^^Yep. Agents of SHIELD gives Marvel an avenue to do these types of things if they want to without hindering the current events of the MCU. A couple of flashback episodes set in different time periods could be used to explore such things.
Agreed. This is why I believe the recently-added-to-the-cast J. August Richards is playing 70's Fury on the newly christened "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D". This way, you get to showcase all the thunder and fury of, um, Fury without requiring the services of the too-high-profile-to-be-a-TV-regular-at-this-point Samuel L. Jackson.

Last edited by fixxxer; 04-08-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Added the quotes to illustrate whom I was agreeing with. And sneakily fixed some typos while I was at it. :)
Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #568
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

So it sounds like we are getting some hints at phase three?

Could It Be…Morris Chestnut As Black Panther?!
http://latino-review.com/2013/04/08/...er-avengers-2/

From ‘Evil Dead’ to ‘Doctor Strange’?
http://latino-review.com/2013/04/08/...octor-strange/

Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #569
Aztec
Side-Kick

Quote:
So it sounds like we are getting some hints at phase three?

Could It Be…Morris Chestnut As Black Panther?!
http://latino-review.com/2013/04/08/...er-avengers-2/

From ‘Evil Dead’ to ‘Doctor Strange’?
http://latino-review.com/2013/04/08/...octor-strange/
Dude, look at the source. His track record recently is downright laughable.

VS. Thanos
MARVEL'S THE INFINITY GAUNTLET
Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #570
Ant-manic
Banned User

i can pretty much guarantee that they aren't looking at Morris Chestnut as T'challa; not that i have anything against the actor.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #571
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by antirock View Post
It's not necessary, but I think it would be very interesting.

Personally, I have always thought it would be a cool idea to have Ant-Man set in the 70's. Show Howard Stark and the formation of SHIELD. Maybe a young Nick Fury. I think that would be cool and be a nice change of pace.

It also has the added advantage of not over loading the current Avengers with too many characters by having their action take place in different times. If the original lineup makes it to Avengers 3, and then you are adding Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Wasp etc...That is a lot of people.
Edgar Wright's original game plan was to have Pym appear as a cold war-era costumed spy. then it shoots forward to the 80s with Lang finding that spy equipment.

but, realistically, any character that appears within the marvel cinema universe inbetween Captain America and Iron Man is going to have to be treated as an urban legend. someone like Daredevil or Punisher might be able to get away with it. Doc Strange too; given the threats he faces already being something hard to swallow by the public. i don't know about Luke Cage. he might be a little tougher. not impossible but tougher. i don't know that Iron Fist would benefit from being a period piece either. he'd be better off keeping most of the action to KunLun; where they could use liven things up with an exotic locale and Fat Cobra's antics.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #572
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec View Post
Dude, look at the source. His track record recently is downright laughable.
The BP thing did not come from LR. And his track record is still fine. :/

Old 04-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #573
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
Agreed. This is why I believe the recently-added-to-the-cast J. August Richards is playing 70's Fury on the newly christened "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D". This way, you get to showcase all the thunder and fury of, um, Fury without requiring the services of the too-high-profile-to-be-a-TV-regular-at-this-point Samuel L. Jackson.
This is possible. I just hope they don't delegate many if any heroes to 70s heroes status.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
i can pretty much guarantee that they aren't looking at Morris Chestnut as T'challa; not that i have anything against the actor.
How can you pretty much guarantee this?

Old 04-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #574
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
How can you pretty much guarantee something we don't even know about what so ever?

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 04-08-2013, 11:53 PM   #575
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
How can you pretty much guarantee something we don't even know about what so ever?
well i started by typing. then i hit 'submit reply.'

Closed Thread