Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #801
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Black Widow would work best as a one-shot. A 30 minute or less short film tacked on to a Blu-Ray works for me. She's kind of like Nick Fury in the sense that she pops up from time to time in everyone else's movies. I can see her in Ant-Man, Hulk 2 and Cap 3.

Black Panther also is a street level hero. I see him more as somebody who'd be better suited for Phase 4. Sequels + Ant-Man, Ms. Marvel and Dr. Strange are enough for new franchises.

That leaves 8 films.
Black Panther is street level kinda the same way Spider-Man is street level. He's just as comfortable bumping heads with Silver Surfer or taking on teams of super powered enemies or small armies as he is in the streets of New York.

I'd also like to see Black Widow get a full length, but I do hope to see her continue to appear in other people's films, but her story, with all its espionage and such really does need its own time to shine. 30 minutes can cover at Black Widow mission, but its not enough time to really show us the depth and complications of her background. She's got a lot of personal problems.

Quote:
Also, when it comes to TV shows, Runaways should be next for live action. When it comes to animated series, I'd like to see something done with a Captain America solo series along with a new X-Men cartoon.
A Captain America solo animated series would rock my socks. Especially if they made the hand to hand combat uber awesome. He could really be that guy. I'd love to see that.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #802
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
I don't think Marvel will have their Phase III plans until GOTG comes out. If GOTG is a hit, they'll definitely green light a sequel since it could really help with setting up Avengers 3. If GOTG does well, I think GOTG2 could be a bigger priority than a third Cap movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom892 View Post
I've said this all along. Marvel will wait to see how Thor, Cap and GOTG performs. If all three do well, expect all three to have sequels in phase 3.Meaning besides Ant Man we'll probably only get one more new franchise during Phase 3.
Doesn't work like that. They'll have announced their phase 3 slate before GOTG is out.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #803
Captain Lantern
Side-Kick

Are you sure? Marvel didn't officially announce guardians of the galaxy, and the rest of the phase 2 movies (with working titles) until SDCC 2012, which was after The Avengers came out.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #804
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Black Widow may or may not be able to hold her own movie. I feel Hawkeye would be slightly more capable of holding his own movie. But either way, they would be better off sharing a movie together. "Widowmaker" or something of the like would be perfect.

More and more I'm also thinking "Heroes for Hire" should be a TV show. Agents of SHIELD is okay in my opinion, but something like H4H with recurring superheroes who don't require major SFX is a far more intriguing idea to me. And with Daredevil, Punisher and Blade back in Marvel's hands. It might be time for something like that. "Inhumans" might also make a good show. It also might make a good film. I don't know which I'd prefer at this point.

But their next solo properties have to be Dr. Strange, Black Panther and Ms Marvel. Those are all potential A-list material.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #805
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Assuming there are Seven films... my Phase Three Looks like this right now.

Ant-Man: Scott Lang takes over for Henry Pym against Egghead and AIM to save his daughter.
Captain America: Man Out of Time: Shades of Captain America No More. Captain America, Bucky and Falcon face Viper and a resurgent HYDRA with her Serpent Squad. Agent 13 as love interest.
Guardians of the Galaxy 2: With Captain Marvel (Both) added to the roster to be included in Avengers 2.
Dr. Strange: Steven Strange deals with Baron Mordo and falls for co-student Clea after the death of the Ancient One.
Thor: Blood Oath: Enchantress follows these three on their epic journey, and Thor must prove himself worthy again. Surtur, Beta Ray Bill, all that good stuff comes up.
Black Panther: T'Challa must save his kingdom from Klaw and traitors on the inside.
Avengers: Infinity - Thanos wrecks shop in all the ways you can imagine. Everyone is involved, Guardians, Agents of SHIELD, Time Traveling Howling Commandos, EVERYONE. Focus on Avengers, until Cap and Iron Man are the last ones standing. And then it comes down to what will Cap do with the ultimate power? Remake the universe in his image.

I would add an experimental half-budget film, around, say 70K during 2017, likely Black Widow, to see if the studio can handle three films a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Black Widow may or may not be able to hold her own movie. I feel Hawkeye would be slightly more capable of holding his own movie. But either way, they would be better off sharing a movie together. "Widowmaker" or something of the like would be perfect.

More and more I'm also thinking "Heroes for Hire" should be a TV show. Agents of SHIELD is okay in my opinion, but something like H4H with recurring superheroes who don't require major SFX is a far more intriguing idea to me. And with Daredevil, Punisher and Blade back in Marvel's hands. It might be time for something like that. "Inhumans" might also make a good show. It also might make a good film. I don't know which I'd prefer at this point.

But their next solo properties have to be Dr. Strange, Black Panther and Ms Marvel. Those are all potential A-list material.
Largely agreed. I do think the focus of a Black Widow movie should be Black Widow, with Hawkeye along as a supporting character.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #806
CaptainCraig
Side-Kick

With just the backstory we know of Black Widow to date + whatever might surface in CWS she clearly has enough to explore in a 1hr 45min movie(give or take). That history would include some flashbacks(at the least) with Hawkeye. I want a Black Widow solo film but she needs to be the star, not the film be a de-facto buddy film with Hawkeye. One act where he's in 10-15min of flashbacks as it ties to the main story would be ideal imo.

A modestly budgeted film of $60-80m should be possible.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #807
venom892
Got Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Doesn't work like that. They'll have announced their phase 3 slate before GOTG is out.
Yea and Thor and Cap would have already been released.I don't think Marvel will release it's entire Phase 3 slate at Comic Con next year. They'll have Avengers footage, maybe Ant Man footage. I think they'll announce the 2016 films, but not the entire slate. I bet you depending on how they perform, one of the 2016 films will be a Cap or Thor sequel.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #808
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom892 View Post
Yea and Thor and Cap would have already been released.I don't think Marvel will release it's entire Phase 3 slate at Comic Con next year. They'll have Avengers footage, maybe Ant Man footage. I think they'll announce the 2016 films, but not the entire slate. I bet you depending on how they perform, one of the 2016 films will be a Cap or Thor sequel.
Honestly, it seems like they're not sure of what to do in 2015 yet. With Ant-Man moved to summer, they'll want to push something out for the holidays. Odds are that Marvel will want to see how Thor 2 performs and how much hype there is for Cap 2 before greenlighting a third 2015 film. That and the box office performance of Cap 2 and GOTG will determine if Marvel wants to up their production schedule to three films a year. If one of these three films fails, expect Phase 3 to be smaller.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #809
starwolf_oakley
Side-Kick

A Black Widow movie should build on some lines from the Avengers: that Natasha was recruited at a very young age, apparently did some bad things, and Clint Barton was supposed to kill her instead of recruiting her for SHIELD.

The best way to build on this would be Natasha wanting to save her replacement as the Black Widow, Yelena Belova. They would just have to make her younger, maybe even still a teenager or just turned 20 to enhance the "child soldier" element.

I was first convinced Saoirse Ronan would be great as Yelena, but since they seem to be considering her for other superhero roles, that leaves...

Chloe Moretz. I haven't seen the Kick-Ass movies or the Carrie remake, but I think the "damaged but determined" aspect of Yelena could work.

Natasha wants to help Yelena, while Yelena wants to surpass Natasha. Also, Natasha would have to take a long hard look at the "red in her ledger," and if working for Nick Fury is really wiping it out.

To me, a Black Widow movie should have a lot of Russian characters in it, as Marvel had a LOT during the Cold War. They don't have to all be bad guys.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #810
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Kevin Feige just said Black Panther is in development.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 10-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #811
cph9fa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwolf_oakley View Post
A Black Widow movie should build on some lines from the Avengers: that Natasha was recruited at a very young age, apparently did some bad things, and Clint Barton was supposed to kill her instead of recruiting her for SHIELD.
I think that would make an awesome one-shot. SHIELD sends Clint to Budapest, to eliminate a threat known as the Black Widow. He discovers that Natasha wants redemption, and spares her life, disobeying orders. Then they have to escape her former employers together.

Since its set in the past, you could even throw in Coulson for grins, as Barton's handler. He's supposedly become more compassionate/sentimental after dying (according to Aquila, from AoS), so maybe he's a bit more hard-nosed here?

(EDIT: It goes without saying that it would be written in such a way that Clint is NOT rescuing her, per se, just helping her escape.)

Last edited by cph9fa; 10-28-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #812
starwolf_oakley
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph9fa View Post
I think that would make an awesome one-shot. SHIELD sends Clint to Budapest, to eliminate a threat known as the Black Widow. He discovers that Natasha wants redemption, and spares her life, disobeying orders. Then they have to escape her former employers together.

Since its set in the past, you could even throw in Coulson for grins, as Barton's handler. He's supposedly become more compassionate/sentimental after dying (according to Aquila, from AoS), so maybe he's a bit more hard-nosed here?

(EDIT: It goes without saying that it would be written in such a way that Clint is NOT rescuing her, per se, just helping her escape.)
SHIELD agents have a surprising amount of leeway. Clint was supposed to kill Natasha, but "made a different call." Exactly how Natasha went from "target" to "new recruit" would be a heck of a story.

Plus, we have to have something different than the KGB. Are we supposed to think Natasha was working for the KGB or the Federal Security Service or whatever Russia's version of SHIELD is?

Old 10-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #813
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

2015-Ant Man
2016-Thor 3
2016-Black Panther
2017-Captain America 3
2017-Dr Strange
2018-Guardians of The Galaxy 2
2018-Incredible Hulk 2
2019-Avengers 3 part 1
2019-Avengers 3 part 2

Old 10-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #814
Ant-manic
Banned User

i'd want someone like Emily Browning for the Yelena Belova role.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #815
Lord
All Mighty

Whedon isn't a fan of ending films with a "to be continued", so i doubt he would divide Avengers 3 into 2 parts.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #816
JJmelo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Whedon isn't a fan of ending films with a "to be continued", so i doubt he would divide Avengers 3 into 2 parts.
Whedon isn't signed on after Avengers 2 so the division could happen, especially if they plan on including every single character introduced thus far.

My phase 3 looks like this:

2015 - AntMan
2016 - Cap 3
2016 - Black Panther
2017 - GotG 2/Capt Marvel
2017 - Thor 3
2018 - Avengers 3

Old 10-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #817
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
But it's phase 3 my way......

Old 10-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #818
Dasher10
Side-Kick

I'm revising this a bit

Ant-Man - Summer (With a Wasp one-shot)
Thor: The Abyss of Hel - Winter (With a Sif one-shot)

Ms Marvel - Spring (With a War Machine one-shot)
Captain America: The Bloodstone Hunt - Summer (With a Diamondback one-shot)
Doctor Strange - Winter (with a Falcon one-shot)

Black Panther - Spring (with a Shanna one-shot)
The Rampaging Hulk - Summer (with a Hawkeye one-shot)
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - Winter (with a Nova one-shot)

Avengers 3 - Infinity Gauntlet - Summer (with a Nick Fury one-shot)

New TV shows would be Black Widow (2016) and Runaways (2018)

Ant-Man, Doctor Strange and Thor 3 are all confirmed. Black Panther and Captain America 3 are heavily rumored but let me explain my reasoning for the rest.

A Hulk sequel is inevitable since we never got any payoff for the tease of The Leader and many people come out of The Avengers feeling like Hulk was the best part of the film. With the take on Hulk as somebody who's less tormented than he was in the first film and fully in control of his Hulk persona being well received, I don't see why Marvel wouldn't go forward with a sequel.

Ms. Marvel is not only a character with a fun, likable personality but she's also the only A or B-lister who isn't either a street level hero or a property leased to another studio. I mean, Ant-Man is getting a film when he's never had two critically acclaimed runs in the past ten years. Hell, he's an oft-forgotten character who most people simply don't care about. It would be a massive disservice to ignore one of Marvel's most loved properties and an Avenger since the 70s.

A Guardians sequel is entirely dependent on how the first film performs. If it bombs, don't expect a sequel.

A Black Widow TV show would be cool because A. Less risk for a female lead. B. More time to develop the character. C. Lower budget D. More locations to travel to. You might see 2 or 3 in a film but you'd get 7 or 8 in a single season of a TV show.

Finally, Runaways is a character-driven ensemble. A film would leave certain characters underdeveloped. A show would give everyone some time to shine.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #819
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
Ant-Man - Summer (With a Wasp one-shot)
Thor: The Abyss of Hel - Winter (With a Sif one-shot)

Ms Marvel - Spring (With a War Machine one-shot)
Captain America: The Bloodstone Hunt - Summer (With a Diamondback one-shot)
Doctor Strange - Winter (with a Falcon one-shot)

Black Panther - Spring (with a Shanna one-shot)
The Rampaging Hulk - Summer (with a Hawkeye one-shot)
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - Winter (with a Nova one-shot)

Avengers 3 - Infinity Gauntlet - Summer (with a Nick Fury one-shot)

New TV shows would be Black Widow (2016) and Runaways (2018)
Scarlett Johansson is an A-lister. I don't think she would be too receptive to get locked down to a TV show. Though I'm skeptical that Marvel would go to a 3 movie/year schedule (fingers crossed though) I like your movie list. If I were Feige, this is pretty much exactly how I'd line it up. Also, while I'm generally for a Runaways TV show, I'd prioritize Daredevil, Heroes for Hire and even Punisher over Runaways.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #820
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

They need to get Hawkeye into a movie, TV show or something! With Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver entering the foray i feel like he might get the short end of the stick.. again!

Maybe we should have a West Coast Avengers film (War Machine, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and QuickSilver) or maybe have Hawkeye in supporting role in a Hulk film, which should be coming in Phase 3. Maybe even have Hawkeye in Black Panther's film, as part of a SHIELD unit who come to Wakanda to help Panther deal with whatever he has too, to help ease relations with the Nation or something

FILMRAPS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 10-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #821
bapi
Side-Kick

Josh Hartnett as Dr. Strange

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 10-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #822
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

My phase 3 :
2015- Antman
2016- Indestructible Hulk (TIH2) & Black Panther
2017- Dr. Strange & Cap 3
2018- inhumans or Ms. Marvel & TA3

Old 10-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #823
Adamantium
Your King

Does ELEKTRA still belong to FOX or did she comeback to MARVEL with the DAREDEVIL deal?

Old 10-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #824
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Im betting it was packaged with DD

Old 10-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #825
Lord
All Mighty

Where's Thor 3?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Closed Thread