Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #876
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: MCU Phase 3: Have it your way

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
This.

Not every character is made to carry a movie.

Marvel has always been kind of weak in the female in a leading role department. All of the true A-list marvel females are team heroes like Invisible Woman, Jean Grey and Storm.
Dang. That's true. And what's really crazy, they could absolutely make them solo heroes as they have Wolverine and Thing if they really wanted to. They just... don't really want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
because it's the most relateable, movie-adaptable, and marketable. 'Binary' isn't as iconic-sounding as 'Captain Marvel.' and the synergy of Captain America and Iron Man works in her favor, in my opinion. her being female is what makes her unique to the movie-going audience. you see her and you immediately wonder if she could take Iron Man in a fight. doesn't work for Janet because she's the byproduct of another title character. and her powers are a weaker version of Carol's (flight, energy blasts, enhanced strength).

Carol's story is topical. her father didn't think the military was any place for women. she's both an overachiever and an underdog. and they've been building up her rogues gallery. Yon-Rogg, the kree's lunatic legion, and Doomsday Man all would make decent villains. i'd have to check the rights on Deathbird. for contrast, Janet has whirlwind; borrowed from Hank Pym.
First: Who wonders this!?

But I digress. She wasn't even called Captain Marvel when they started to make her the flagship female, and there's no defense for her most boring powerset. If being female is all that makes her unique, only people who can relate to being female would be more interested in her than Cap or Iron Man whom we agree she is a fusion of. And if being a byproduct of a different title character is a problem, Carol has the same thing.

Now if they had made Jan the flagship character back in '06, she'd have a rogue's gallery as good or better than where Carol's is now (without any of them being at Fox), and her own epic stories, with. What makes Jan so interesting is that her most powerful abilities aren't her super powers (several of which you seemed to have forgotten while comparing her to carol). She's a really full unique character, a different type of person than Cap or Iron Man, not just because she's a woman. Her gender politics aren't the only thing that make her movie worthy, she has a different type of problem and a different type of journey than any other hero. That's cool, that's worth telling a new story about, rather than Cap-Iron-Man-fusion, but with girl power! And Jan's just one example. Monica Rambeau would have been brilliant as a solo character, with her unique creative powerset. Or Ms. Marvel with Rambeau's powers. Spider-Woman would have been awesome, but I guess they were warming up with Secret Invasion for her, but a switch there would have been brilliant, Spider-Woman as awesomesauce and Ms. Marvel as the Skrull queen. So brilliant!!!! We'd have a weird name marketing problem now, but other than that, it'd be gravy. Or pull someone really from the depths, like Crystal. Anything other than just throwing Ms. Marvel out front and having us like her mostly just because she's out front.

But this is all shoulda-coulda-woulda. Marvel made Ms. Marvel the flagship character back in 06, and so now we're waiting for a movie that filmmakers aren't interesting in making, because the biggest justification for making a film is not how awesome she is as a character, but that she gets more screentime than the other MCU female heroes who save the day and don't need a man to save them.

It's not a good setup dude. There's not a lot going in her favor. Marvel's shortsightedness, I say.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 12-04-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #877
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
because it's the most relateable, movie-adaptable, and marketable. 'Binary' isn't as iconic-sounding as 'Captain Marvel.' and the synergy of Captain America and Iron Man works in her favor, in my opinion. her being female is what makes her unique to the movie-going audience. you see her and you immediately wonder if she could take Iron Man in a fight. doesn't work for Janet because she's the byproduct of another title character. and her powers are a weaker version of Carol's (flight, energy blasts, enhanced strength).

Carol's story is topical. her father didn't think the military was any place for women. she's both an overachiever and an underdog. and they've been building up her rogues gallery. Yon-Rogg, the kree's lunatic legion, and Doomsday Man all would make decent villains. i'd have to check the rights on Deathbird. for contrast, Janet has whirlwind; borrowed from Hank Pym.
Carol's villains and powers are all derived from another character. Just like Janet.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
Old 12-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #878
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Dang. That's true. And what's really crazy, they could absolutely make them solo heroes as they have Wolverine and Thing if they really wanted to. They just... don't really want to.

First: Who wonders this!?

But I digress. She wasn't even called Captain Marvel when they started to make her the flagship female, and there's no defense for her most boring powerset. If being female is all that makes her unique, only people who can relate to being female would be more interested in her than Cap or Iron Man whom we agree she is a fusion of. And if being a byproduct of a different title character is a problem, Carol has the same thing.

Now if they had made Jan the flagship character back in '06, she'd have a rogue's gallery as good or better than where Carol's is now (without any of them being at Fox), and her own epic stories, with. What makes Jan so interesting is that her most powerful abilities aren't her super powers (several of which you seemed to have forgotten while comparing her to carol). She's a really full unique character, a different type of person than Cap or Iron Man, not just because she's a woman. Her gender politics aren't the only thing that make her movie worthy, she has a different type of problem and a different type of journey than any other hero. That's cool, that's worth telling a new story about, rather than Cap-Iron-Man-fusion, but with girl power! And Jan's just one example. Monica Rambeau would have been brilliant as a solo character, with her unique creative powerset. Or Ms. Marvel with Rambeau's powers. Spider-Woman would have been awesome, but I guess they were warming up with Secret Invasion for her, but a switch there would have been brilliant, Spider-Woman as awesomesauce and Ms. Marvel as the Skrull queen. So brilliant!!!! We'd have a weird name marketing problem now, but other than that, it'd be gravy. Or pull someone really from the depths, like Crystal. Anything other than just throwing Ms. Marvel out front and having us like her mostly just because she's out front.

But this is all shoulda-coulda-woulda. Marvel made Ms. Marvel the flagship character back in 06, and so now we're waiting for a movie that filmmakers aren't interesting in making, because the biggest justification for making a film is not how awesome she is as a character, but that she gets more screentime than the other MCU female heroes who save the day and don't need a man to save them.

It's not a good setup dude. There's not a lot going in her favor. Marvel's shortsightedness, I say.
Exactly. Ms. Marvel is very vanilla, and wasn't a great choice for flagship heroine.

2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
Old 12-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #879
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Exactly. Ms. Marvel is very vanilla, and wasn't a great choice for flagship heroine.

I disagree. Her personality is what makes her interesting. She's incredibly sarcastic and impulsive. Without Iron Man 4 in Phase 3, she can fill a void.

Also, even though much of her rogues gallery originated elsewhere, they're now HER villains. MODOK bounced around from Captain America to Iron Man and the Fantastic Four before becoming a Captain Marvel villain while the X-Men never seem to fight Deathbird or the Brood anymore.

As far as powers go, I can argue that she's OP but she isn't boring. Her powers would also be visually interesting to see considering her energy projection, flight, super strength and being nearly invincible. Now look at Black Panther and Punisher. Those two have no powers, only advanced weaponry, why would they make for a better film?

IMO, the best choices are

Ant-Man (Summer)

Thor 3 (spring)
Captain Marvel (Summer)
Doctor Strange (Autumn)

Captain America 3 (Spring)
Hulk 2 (Summer)
Black Panther (Holiday)

Guardians 2 (summer)
Avengers 3 (Holiday)

Inhumans can wait until Phase 4.

Last edited by Dasher10; 12-21-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #880
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
I disagree. Her personality is what makes her interesting. She's incredibly sarcastic and impulsive. Without Iron Man 4 in Phase 3, she can fill a void.

Also, even though much of her rogues gallery originated elsewhere, they're now HER villains. MODOK bounced around from Captain America to Iron Man and the Fantastic Four before becoming a Captain Marvel villain while the X-Men never seem to fight Deathbird or the Brood anymore.

As far as powers go, I can argue that she's OP but she isn't boring. Her powers would also be visually interesting to see considering her energy projection, flight, super strength and being nearly invincible. Now look at Black Panther and Punisher. Those two have no powers, only advanced weaponry, why would they make for a better film?

IMO, the best choices are

Ant-Man (Summer)

Thor 3 (spring)
Captain Marvel (Summer)
Doctor Strange (Autumn)

Captain America 3 (Spring)
Hulk 2 (Summer)
Black Panther (Holiday)

Guardians 2 (summer)
Avengers 3 (Holiday)

Inhumans can wait until Phase 4.
Or she can wind up the female equivalent of Ryan Reynolds' Hal Jordan, which is just not lighting my fire.

Black Panther has his own franchise. His own supporting cast, his own villains, his own concepts (Wakanda, Vibranium). He's a complete solo hero. Ms. Marvel is not. Maybe she will be in 10 more years of solo comics, but right now, she's not.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:39 AM   #881
Lord
All Mighty

With Captain Marvel i just feel like it's a giant waste to not have the film about the first Mar-Vell, expecially since we're heading towards Thanos, he was the guy who originally beat him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #882
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Or she can wind up the female equivalent of Ryan Reynolds' Hal Jordan, which is just not lighting my fire.
So suddenly her movie will be horrible just because it's made? Ryan Reynolds wasn't the problem, nor was the Green Lantern IP, it was the director.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #883
Lord
All Mighty

Neither was the Director, it was the studio decisions and the script

Quote:
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #884
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Neither was the Director, it was the studio decisions and the script

So why exactly would Carol Danvers, if filmed suddenly meet that level of crap? Keep in mind that each new IP we've already seen has had the potential to bomb hard. Marvel has had nothing but success so far with launching new franchises. Also, Captain Marvel's last two volumes have drawn in a number of new readers who previously may have never picked up a comic. Now with a new volume coming next year, her being the star of the first Mighty Avengers series and now present in Avengers Assemble along with the vanilla Avengers, she's very clearly a popular character.

The sales may not be the strongest for her solo series but considering how she doesn't have a film franchise and how other characters who aren't on the big screen often get canceled due to being unprofitable, she's most likely bankable.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #885
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
So why exactly would Carol Danvers, if filmed suddenly meet that level of crap? Keep in mind that each new IP we've already seen has had the potential to bomb hard. Marvel has had nothing but success so far with launching new franchises. Also, Captain Marvel's last two volumes have drawn in a number of new readers who previously may have never picked up a comic. Now with a new volume coming next year, her being the star of the first Mighty Avengers series and now present in Avengers Assemble along with the vanilla Avengers, she's very clearly a popular character.

The sales may not be the strongest for her solo series but considering how she doesn't have a film franchise and how other characters who aren't on the big screen often get canceled due to being unprofitable, she's most likely bankable.
Dude, that discussion is with KingConquers, i have never stated anything to do with a film staring Carol being successful or not, i was just answearing the part of which aspect was the the problem with the GL film

Quote:
Old 12-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #886
NewYorkSpider
Heart Of Steel

I hope we get a HULK 2 sometime in the future. I would like to see Tim Blake Nelson reprise his role as Samuel Sterns/The Leader. Maybe he escapes from SHIELD(since they had some comics that tied in to the post events of TIH).

Old 12-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #887
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

I agree. I think that we will definitely get one after AoU.

Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right using of strength; and strength is not used rightly when it serves only to carry a man above his fellows for his own solitary glory. He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #888
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
I would like to see Tim Blake Nelson reprise his role as Samuel Sterns/The Leader.
I'd rather he didn't, the first time was awful enough.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 12-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #889
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

I'd kind of like to see Michael Emerson take over the role

Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right using of strength; and strength is not used rightly when it serves only to carry a man above his fellows for his own solitary glory. He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #890
NewYorkSpider
Heart Of Steel

I'd be open to a change. Michael Emerson is a great choice. Loved him in Lost.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #891
PaulRom
Side-Kick

2016:
Thor 3: Journey Into Mystery (May 6th)
Doctor Strange (July 8th)

2017:
Indestructible Hulk (May 5th)
Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty (July 14th)
Black Panther (September 22nd)

2018:
The Avengers: The Infinity Gauntlet (June 1st)

From there, they can do sequels to Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Guardians of the Galaxy, and perhaps more Thor/Captain America movies. Would also love to see Daredevil and the other Defenders transfer to the big screen.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #892
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
I'd kind of like to see Michael Emerson take over the role
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
I'd be open to a change. Michael Emerson is a great choice. Loved him in Lost.
I suggested that first!

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 12-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #893
Flint Marko
Money never sleeps

I don't have a particular order I care about... I just want films for Black Panther, Dr. Strange, and maybe Namor somewhere down the line. And a sequel for the Hulk.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #894
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

My list:

1. Black Panther
2. Miss Marvel (could be renamed Capt. Marvel. It's all good)
3. Runaways
4. Dr. Strange
5. Journey into Mystery, starring Sif and the Warriors Three
6. Incredible Hulk, featuring the Leader and the Gamma Bomb.

for a rated-R Marvel Knights line-up

1. Cloak and Dagger
2. Luke Cage (for the big screen)
3. Daughters of the Dragon
4. Cloak and Dagger
5. Daredevil vs. Punisher

from Fox Studios

1. Fantastic Four: Journey to Monster Island
2. Dazzler
3. X-Force (using the Australian base)
4. X-Men: New Mutants

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #895
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
I suggested that first!
Great minds think alike

Old 12-23-2013, 12:21 AM   #896
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

I don't know if I'd want it in phase 3, necessarily, but part of me kind of wants to see a phase of the MCU where every movie contributes directly to a larger story, like a big cross-over event. Think the secret invasion tie-ins, where we saw the invasion from all the major heroes perspectives, or Atlantis Attacks/ Acts of Vengeance, where one story spread over 20 annuals.

Imagine if every phase 3 movie directly dealt with and served as legitimate prequels to an Avengers 3 starring Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet. It would be a bit risky, but imagine lining up Inhumans, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Avengers as consecutive films in Phase 3 and telling one big cosmic story, with shifting protagonist points of view. Sort of like the Lord of the Rings in space and on multiple planets...a quest film, that ends in a gigantic war.

It won't happen, but it would be pretty bad ass.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #897
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Knowing Marvel, don't be shocked if something like that ends up happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
Great minds think alike

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 12-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #898
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
My list:

1. Black Panther
2. Miss Marvel (could be renamed Capt. Marvel. It's all good)
3. Runaways
4. Dr. Strange
5. Journey into Mystery, starring Sif and the Warriors Three
6. Incredible Hulk, featuring the Leader and the Gamma Bomb.

for a rated-R Marvel Knights line-up

1. Cloak and Dagger
2. Luke Cage (for the big screen)
3. Daughters of the Dragon
4. Cloak and Dagger
5. Daredevil vs. Punisher

from Fox Studios

1. Fantastic Four: Journey to Monster Island
2. Dazzler
3. X-Force (using the Australian base)
4. X-Men: New Mutants
That's a really good list. The only tweaks that I would make would be to add an Inhumans movie, and I think that Runaways would work better as an ongoing TV show than as a film.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #899
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

With the huge number of teen action flicks out now I doubt anybody would go for a Runaways.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #900
Shoppy
Side-Kick

PHASE 3

ANT-MAN
Daredevil (Netflix series)
THE INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK (2)
DOCTOR STRANGE

Jessica Jones (Netflix series)

THOR (3): ???
AVENGERS (3): ???

PHASE 4
Iron Fist (Netflix series)
BLACK PANTHER
PLANET HULK (3
)
Luke Cage (Netflix series)
INHUMANS
CAPTAIN AMERICA (3): ???

Defenders (crossover miniseries)
AVENGERS (4): WORLD WAR HULK

Or something like that

Last edited by Shoppy; 12-23-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Closed Thread