The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #26
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side
 
Blitzkrieg Bop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Under there
Posts: 7,211
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

Walt's gone too far for me to like him anymore. The turning point was poisoning Brock. I didn't want to believe he did it, but that last shot of S4 showed just how much of a bad guy he can be. Then the S5 opener, he's so full of himself when talking to Mike and Jesse and then he forgives Skyler? Where does he get off? He gets even worse as the season goes on, talking to Jesse about the importance of the truth, about Jesse not having anyone, just letting Jesse wallow in his emotions while Walt whistles while he works.

He manipulates, he lies, he crushes, and kills out of his fragile pride. It wasn't about his family anymore, it was about him. When Walt's going over the last year of his life during his 51st birthday, the camera zooms in as he goes on, symbolizing his narrowing view over his meth dealings. He started out with the intention of providing for his family, but as he went on, it became a game for him to prove to himself and everyone else that he is a man to be feared and respected. His guilt had vanished. When he kills Mike, it seems more than he was upset with himself that he made a rash mistake rather than murdering Mike. I still can't get over that one of my favorite characters was killed so meaninglessly and put into a barrel of acid like he was nothing. Walter is knocking alright, on the door of well deserved punishment.

Blitzkrieg Bop is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #27
Lasirius
Tarifa
 
Lasirius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Norcal
Posts: 2,041
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs View Post
Am I the only guy that still likes Walt? He did everything for his family and then went to an epic proportion then he "quit". I don't know maybe I'm just an ahole
I think he's been in a few situations where he could had just quit but has continued to cook because he thinks enough is never enough. Like he said, "he's in the empire business".

He's put a lot of people in danger; sometimes unnecessarily, just to save his own hair and then doesn't care much about what he just did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
Walt's gone too far for me to like him anymore. The turning point was poisoning Brock. I didn't want to believe he did it, but that last shot of S4 showed just how much of a bad guy he can be. Then the S5 opener, he's so full of himself when talking to Mike and Jesse and then he forgives Skyler? Where does he get off? He gets even worse as the season goes on, talking to Jesse about the importance of the truth, about Jesse not having anyone, just letting Jesse wallow in his emotions while Walt whistles while he works.

He manipulates, he lies, he crushes, and kills out of his fragile pride. It wasn't about his family anymore, it was about him. When Walt's going over the last year of his life during his 51st birthday, the camera zooms in as he goes on, symbolizing his narrowing view over his meth dealings. He started out with the intention of providing for his family, but as he went on, it became a game for him to prove to himself and everyone else that he is a man to be feared and respected. His guilt had vanished. When he kills Mike, it seems more than he was upset with himself that he made a rash mistake rather than murdering Mike. I still can't get over that one of my favorite characters was killed so meaninglessly and put into a barrel of acid like he was nothing. Walter is knocking alright, on the door of well deserved punishment.
Pretty much.

__________________
It's all yackety yack.
Lasirius is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #28
georgec
Not a hero
 
georgec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Belize
Posts: 3,839
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4


__________________
Superman with Batman - Whatever It Is... - Countdown until midnight release on March 25, 2016 - updated!

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #29
georgec
Not a hero
 
georgec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Belize
Posts: 3,839
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

How does anybody "like" Walt still? Ever since the end of season 3, when he had Jesse kill Gale out of self-preservation, he's been more or less irredeemable. And the end of season 4 should have left no doubt.

The whole "Walt is Heisenberg now" statements that float around are silly. Walt isn't a schizo. He's a guy who had a lot of pent up anger, regret, and frustration which all boiled over when he faced his own mortality.

__________________
Superman with Batman - Whatever It Is... - Countdown until midnight release on March 25, 2016 - updated!

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #30
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side
 
Blitzkrieg Bop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Under there
Posts: 7,211
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

I think the show is more enjoyable when you hate/fear/dislike Walt, because that's what Gilligan and co. want you to do.

__________________
Apes--together--strong
Blitzkrieg Bop is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #31
The Riddler
WITH NEW MATERIAL
 
The Riddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 18,916
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
How does anybody "like" Walt still? Ever since the end of season 3, when he had Jesse kill Gale out of self-preservation, he's been more or less irredeemable. And the end of season 4 should have left no doubt.

The whole "Walt is Heisenberg now" statements that float around are silly. Walt isn't a schizo. He's a guy who had a lot of pent up anger, regret, and frustration which all boiled over when he faced his own mortality.
i don't' see what't not to like about walt.

also, i don't think anyone actually thinks walt is a schizo. calling walt heisenberg is just an easy way to identify the "badass" version of walt.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Ok children, I got a question for you.
If Kmack > the rest of you.
And Riddler > Kmack
Does that mean Riddler = God?
The Riddler is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #32
Megaton Sun
Old Noob
 
Megaton Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 935
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

Am I the only one who hates Walt Jr.? And its not cuz he's disabled, I just think his character is annoying and probably the most useless character in all of television.

Megaton Sun is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #33
Blitzkrieg Bop
The Dark Side
 
Blitzkrieg Bop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Under there
Posts: 7,211
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

I think Walter Jr. becoming a serious player in the plot in any capacity has been a long time coming. I could see him being the last ace-up-the-sleeve, writing wise, in the last episodes, even if just for one moment.

__________________
Apes--together--strong
Blitzkrieg Bop is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #34
The Riddler
WITH NEW MATERIAL
 
The Riddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 18,916
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaton Sun View Post
Am I the only one who hates Walt Jr.? And its not cuz he's disabled, I just think his character is annoying and probably the most useless character in all of television.
i don't think anyone particularly likes him since he really has little purpose to the show, but i wouldn't say i hate his character.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Ok children, I got a question for you.
If Kmack > the rest of you.
And Riddler > Kmack
Does that mean Riddler = God?
The Riddler is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #35
georgec
Not a hero
 
georgec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Belize
Posts: 3,839
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
i don't' see what't not to like about walt.
LOL. I guess poisoning kids and always putting others in harm's way isn't that big of a deal.

__________________
Superman with Batman - Whatever It Is... - Countdown until midnight release on March 25, 2016 - updated!

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #36
Maximus One
Oddball
 
Maximus One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Owensboro KY
Posts: 11,091
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

Go back and watch season 1 again and then tell me how you feel about Walt. Sure, he has done some absolutely deplorable things, but he is still a human being. Has he committed plenty of atrocities? Sure, but he's a flawed personjust like everybody else on the planet. If you want my personal opinion, Walt's true downfall started when he let Jane die. After that it's just a swan dive into darkness for him

Maximus One is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #37
Soapy
It's happening again...
 
Soapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,853
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

If Breaking Bad was on in the 60s, the only person left rooting for Walt would be Pete Campbell.

Soapy is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #38
georgec
Not a hero
 
georgec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Belize
Posts: 3,839
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

Never said Walt wasn't a human being. He's an awful one, though. Not many people do the things Walt has done, so the "everyone is flawed" vantage point doesn't work.

__________________
Superman with Batman - Whatever It Is... - Countdown until midnight release on March 25, 2016 - updated!

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #39
Maximus One
Oddball
 
Maximus One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Owensboro KY
Posts: 11,091
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

Umm yes it does. Everybody has something they've done that (if you believe in that sort of thing) they'll have to answer for when they die. There isn't a person alive that hasn't done at least one bad thing. Not possible. At least in my eyes. Sure the specific things Walt has done are horrible but he has been corrupted. He wasn't always evil. That's not usually how it works. Absolute power corrupts n all that. What happens when someone who has felt like they have been **** on at every turn in their life gains a significant amount of power? Walt was a decent I'll even go as far as to say a wonderful person before he faced his own mortality. That stuff changes people man but he's still a man just like every single one of us. Just a person, like all peope who are susceptible to rationalizing and justifying their own misdeeds to make them feel better about themselves so they can sleep at night. Walt has a conscience, that's been made absolutely clear, he just ignores it

Maximus One is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #40
TheOnlyOmega
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,089
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
i don't think anyone particularly likes him since he really has little purpose to the show, but i wouldn't say i hate his character.
How dare you! Walt Jr. and his love of Breakfast is amazing!

TheOnlyOmega is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #41
georgec
Not a hero
 
georgec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Belize
Posts: 3,839
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

No, the equivalency thing doesn't work here. Some people are much, much worse than others.

And Walt was explicitly shown to have little conscience. See his whistling after telling Jesse he was torn up about that kid being killed.

__________________
Superman with Batman - Whatever It Is... - Countdown until midnight release on March 25, 2016 - updated!

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #42
Maximus One
Oddball
 
Maximus One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Owensboro KY
Posts: 11,091
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

How does that mean he doesn't have a conscience? Just as he said himself does he have to curl up in a ball and cry out of remorse to show that he regrets it? He got out of the meth business, he did some absolutely atrocious things but in his world that's all behind him and he's apparently on the road to trying to be a better person and redeem himself somewhat when Hank finds the book. Nothing is so black and white

Maximus One is offline  
Old 09-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #43
Da Docta
Come On!
 
Da Docta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 55 Dropsie Avenue
Posts: 12,020
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklypze View Post
Walt has a conscience, that's been made absolutely clear, he just ignores it
What does this mean? I'd love for murderers to use this. "Judge, I had a conscience; I just chose to ignore it." And to be more Godwinian, Hitler: "I had a conscience, I just chose to ignore it vis à vis the Jews."

And, no Walt has not been corrupted. Who corrupted him? Himself? His greed?

__________________
You COULDN'T care less, dumb ****.

Last edited by Da Docta; 09-15-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Da Docta is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #44
TheOnlyOmega
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,089
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

Cancer changes a man. That is why Walt is doing this, if he was perfectly healthy we wouldn't have the balls to cook meth anyway.

TheOnlyOmega is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #45
georgec
Not a hero
 
georgec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Belize
Posts: 3,839
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklypze View Post
How does that mean he doesn't have a conscience? Just as he said himself does he have to curl up in a ball and cry out of remorse to show that he regrets it? He got out of the meth business, he did some absolutely atrocious things but in his world that's all behind him and he's apparently on the road to trying to be a better person and redeem himself somewhat when Hank finds the book. Nothing is so black and white
LOL.

Key words are "in his world". Morality of Walt's world =/= morality of virtually all over human beings.

But I think I'll just bow out of this discussion.

__________________
Superman with Batman - Whatever It Is... - Countdown until midnight release on March 25, 2016 - updated!

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 01:42 AM   #46
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump
 
JJJ's Ulcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The pit of J Jonah Jameson's stomach.
Posts: 12,899
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

I think Walt was probably always a sociopath. But a scared, embittered one trapped by his sense of self-preservation. The cancer just took away his inhibitions revealing the monster that always lurked beneath the surface.

JJJ's Ulcer is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #47
Christopher Nolan
Banned User
 
Christopher Nolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles/London
Posts: 3,020
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

totally right, jjj's ulcer.

these things that we haven seen from walter, have been always inside him. it was compensated, now it's decompensated. i'm still on walter's side...

Christopher Nolan is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #48
DrDoom
Dictator
 
DrDoom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Latveria
Posts: 5,625
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

I think the show will end with Walt dead and Skyler alive and well with the kids, along with a reveal that she had a SECOND storage locker with the majority of Walt's money stashed away for her and the kids.

__________________
"The power of the Cube is MINE to control, you were a FOOL to come here. You have no one to blame but YOURSELF!"

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
DrDoom is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #49
The Riddler
WITH NEW MATERIAL
 
The Riddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 18,916
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

i like walt because he's such a fascinating character and one of the best and most fully fleshed out characters on tv. he's also completely badass.

this isn't real life. it's ok to root for the villain.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Ok children, I got a question for you.
If Kmack > the rest of you.
And Riddler > Kmack
Does that mean Riddler = God?
The Riddler is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #50
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump
 
JJJ's Ulcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The pit of J Jonah Jameson's stomach.
Posts: 12,899
Default Re: Breaking Bad - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
i like walt because he's such a fascinating character and one of the best and most fully fleshed out characters on tv. he's also completely badass.

this isn't real life. it's ok to root for the villain.
The dumbest "rule" that show-runners used to believe was that the protagonist in a show had to be at least somewhat good or the audience wouldn't root for them. I think Sopranos was one of the first shows to disprove that antiquated myth, but Breaking Bad really disproves it.

__________________
Watch out, Hype! We have a bad ass here….

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
H.E

Hail Hypedra!!!
JJJ's Ulcer is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.