Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #651
elgaz
Side-Kick

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyz View Post
And not to get too nerdy about the workout stuff, but Henry's muscles look very real, dry, hard, and permanent (yes that felt every bit as awkward typing as it did you reading it). It doesn't look like his muscles are filled with air and water like some others, i.e. Evans. The look like real gains that he can build upon for the sequels. He looks like a MMA fighter more than a bodybuilder. He looks like he has real strength vs. puffed up beach muscles. Which, by the way, is much harder to do compared to cycling creatine and just "pumping" up.
Totally agree about this point. Henry doesn't look like someone who's gone from skinny to bodybuilder in 4 months due to a crazy training program - he actually looks more like he's ripped and muscular anyway from athletics/sport, and has been for years. As you say, very similar to an MMA fighter or boxer with extremely low bodyfat and well defined muscles. There's quite a noticeable different in that kind of physique and beach muscles which can disappear almost as quick as they appear. Hugh Jackman has a similar look, and even when he's not working out for a film you see shots of him on a beach or something and he's still pretty big - it looks very permanent, and not an intense '300' type gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
However, I don't know where all the comments about Cavill not being as "naturally built" as other Superman actors is coming from. Sure, he may be shorter than Reeve, Welling, or Routh, but other than Welling, none of them really had a natural, Superman-esque frame or structure. Reeve and Routh were both moreso tall, skinny beanpole types before trying to get in shape for the role. Even after putting on muscle, Routh's physique wasn't very Superman-esque and it wasn't just the suit. He had a long torso and wide waist, which is the opposite of the broad shouldered, v-shaped torso that Superman typical is depicted as having. Although not Superman's canon 6'3" in height, Cavill has far more similar proportions to Superman as depicted in the comics. He has broad shoulders and a narrow waist. His hard work is more evident because he has good structure to begin with.
Totally agree here also. Cavill has obviously put in a LOT of hard work to get to that size as quick as he did. When you're not naturally big or muscular, it's always harder to pack on weight but he seems to have done it with flying colours in the relatively short timeframe he had.

Most of the Superman actors were fairly skinny before being cast. Even Welling - who I usually consider the one to have the most natural build for the role - looked a lot slimmer in the early seasons of SV than when he hit his last 20s and started to fill out more.

Reeve 4yrs before Superman-

Routh 3yrs before Superman Returns

Welling in early Smallville seasons

............................................. and then Superman happens to them all, and they start eating 100 eggs and 25 chickens a day to build muscle

Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #652
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Saying Cavill's is too short to play Superman is just as riiculous as saying that Martin Freeman is too tall to play a hobbit. Movies aren't real life they can make a guy a few inches taller or shorter if need be.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #653
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
Totally agree about this point. Henry doesn't look like someone who's gone from skinny to bodybuilder in 4 months due to a crazy training program - he actually looks more like he's ripped and muscular anyway from athletics/sport, and has been for years. As you say, very similar to an MMA fighter or boxer with extremely low bodyfat and well defined muscles. There's quite a noticeable different in that kind of physique and beach muscles which can disappear almost as quick as they appear. Hugh Jackman has a similar look, and even when he's not working out for a film you see shots of him on a beach or something and he's still pretty big - it looks very permanent, and not an intense '300' type gain.

Totally agree here also. Cavill has obviously put in a LOT of hard work to get to that size as quick as he did. When you're not naturally big or muscular, it's always harder to pack on weight but he seems to have done it with flying colours in the relatively short timeframe he had.

Most of the Superman actors were fairly skinny before being cast. Even Welling - who I usually consider the one to have the most natural build for the role - looked a lot slimmer in the early seasons of SV than when he hit his last 20s and started to fill out more.

Reeve 4yrs before Superman-

Routh 3yrs before Superman Returns

Welling in early Smallville seasons

............................................. and then Superman happens to them all, and they start eating 100 eggs and 25 chickens a day to build muscle

I had no idea Reeve was ever that skinny. I think you may be on to something here.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #654
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
I had no idea Reeve was ever that skinny.
Yeah, there was a lot of talk back then about Reeve being too skinny (among the people making the movie...because 99.99% of the world had no idea who he was)....Margot Kidder and others have all talked about how they wondered how that skinny kid would ever look like Superman.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #655
TDK elbowstrike

Well he certainly silenced the critics, so much so that almost everyone still thinks of him as the ideal Superman to this day. And its well deserved imo
Also, Damn Welling looks buff in that last pic!!!!

Old 12-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #656
blueyz
Banned User

Smile Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Saying Cavill's is too short to play Superman is just as riiculous as saying that Martin Freeman is too tall to play a hobbit. Movies aren't real life they can make a guy a few inches taller or shorter if need be.
Indeed as seen in the hand cuffs scene. I hope I didn't imply that Cavill was too short to play Superman. I just said Cavill was shorter than Reeve, Welling, and Routh. Also stated that Cavill will look perfect on film.
I was just pointing out that in real life where people don't walk around with their shirt off, Cavill doesn't stand out like the other guys. Again, this could work to the advantage of the Clark Kent disguise.
Just don't be suprised when a pic is taken at the premiere with Cavill, Costner, Shannon, and Lennox and Superman is the shortest guy in the shot.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #657
TDK elbowstrike

Quote:
Indeed as seen in the hand cuffs scene. I hope I didn't imply that Cavill was too short to play Superman. I just said Cavill was shorter than Reeve, Welling, and Routh. Also stated that Cavill will look perfect on film.
I was just pointing out that in real life where people don't walk around with their shirt off, Cavill doesn't stand out like the other guys. Again, this could work to the advantage of the Clark Kent disguise.
Just don't be suprised when a pic is taken at the premiere with Cavill, Costner, Shannon, and Lennox and Superman is the shortest guy in the shot.

No way!!! Is Cavil really shorter then all those you named?

I thought Cavil was like 6'1". Is shorter then that?

Old 12-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #658
Jobling
Look! Up in the sky

I´m not even concern about that lolll and in my oppinion is just stupid, because cavill has a special thing that Weeling or Routh dosen´t have, that is confidence....
Cavill take this role (phsically) to another level that any of that guys (Defination and Mass) did,andd that is a plus,he may be the lowest, but that does not matter because this actor we have now is much better, both in representation and visually!
EXAMPLE TOM HARDY(Bane) has 5ft 11 lolol and he is the best vilain of 2012,in DNR he is a BEAST!!

Old 12-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #659
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
[/B]

No way!!! Is Cavil really shorter then all those you named?

I thought Cavil was like 6'1". Is shorter then that?
Nope.

Henry Cavill - 6'1"
Russell Crowe - 5'11"
Michael Shannon - 6'3"
Kevin Costner - 6'1"
Laurence Fishbourne - 6'0"
Christopher Meloni - 6'0"

Old 12-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #660
TDK elbowstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobling View Post
I´m not even concern about that lolll and in my oppinion is just stupid, because cavill has a special thing that Weeling or Routh dosen´t have, that is confidence....
Cavill take this role (phsically) to another level that any of that guys (Defination and Mass) did,andd that is a plus,he may be the lowest, but that does not matter because this actor we have now is much better, both in representation and visually!
EXAMPLE TOM HARDY(Bane) has 5ft 11 lolol and he is the best vilain of 2012,in DNR he is a BEAST!!

Very true!!! Throughout most of the movie, Bane looked to be a 6'4" musclebound beast.

I was one of those people who didn't want a puny 5'11" actor playing Bane. Way too short.

I am not ashamed to say I was completely wrong. Bane is really the main reason that I don't care that Cavil is only 6'1". That and Cavils acting skills.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #661
TDK elbowstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Nope.

Henry Cavill - 6'1"
Russell Crowe - 5'11"
Michael Shannon - 6'3"
Kevin Costner - 6'1"
Laurence Fishbourne - 6'0"
Christopher Meloni - 6'0"
Thanks man. I knew Cavil had to be taller than most of those people named. Even if he wasn't though, we all saw how some boot lifts and a little forced perspective made Tom Hardys Bane look like a 6'4" albino gorilla.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #662
blueyz
Banned User

Some of you guys need to work on your reading comprehension. I mentioned Costner, Shannon, and Lennox. Did not mention Crowe, Fishburne, or Meloni.
Costner is at least as tall as Cavill. Looks taller in some of the set pics.
Shannon and Lennox ARE taller. Shannon is 6 ft 3 and Lennox is 6 ft 4.

Also, careful when you say mass, in that Henry has more mass than other Supermen. To me, mass means size and weight, not specifically how muscular someone is pound for pound. In that sense, pound for pound, Henry is the most muscular. As someone mentioned his lats are visible from the front, that really gives off that Superhero look.

Mass though, IDK. Reeve at his peak probably had a good 50 lbs on Henry easy.
Yes, more body fat, but the man was a tank at some points. Too inconsistent though. His size was up and down at different times within the same movie. With the slightly “padded” suit Henry has he will consistently look great throughout the entire movie.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #663
J'adore
Vous

I want a full shirtless shot or I'm walking out the theatre

Old 12-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #664
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
Some of you guys need to work on your reading comprehension. I mentioned Costner, Shannon, and Lennox. Did not mention Crowe, Fishburne, or Meloni.

Also, careful when you say mass, in that Henry has more mass than other Supermen. To me, mass means size and weight, not specifically how muscular someone is pound for pound. In that sense, pound for pound, Henry is the most muscular. As someone mentioned his lats are visible from the front, that really gives off that Superhero look.

Yes, more body fat, but the man was a tank at some points. Too inconsistent though. His size was up and down at different times within the same movie. With the slightly “padded” suit Henry has he will consistently look great throughout the entire movie.
I can already tell you're gonna be one of those kind of posters regarding comic movies.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #665
blueyz
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
I can already tell you're gonna be one of those kind of posters regarding comic movies.
I see you're getting good use out of your jump to conclusions mat. Have fun with that.

I reiterate that Henry looks great and I am ecstatic that he is Superman. I can't think of another actor I would rather have right now. I certainly count my lucky stars we didn't get Manganiello or Goode.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #666
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Cavill looks plenty tall to Ma Kent. When they are hugging in the doorway of the Kent farmhouse, he is is stooping down to hug her and she is still on her tip toes.

(Not the best screencap, but the only one I could find that that wasn't huge)

By the way, is it just me or is the whole mom on tippy toes to give her soon a good luck hug just adorable?
I love the scene too. It is missing in STM. I always want it. It is very important because Superman should go back to visit his mother before the metropolis.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #667
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
I love the scene too. It is missing in STM. I always want it. It is very important because Superman should go back to visit his mother before the metropolis.
I've always wanted him to drop by the Kent-farm every once in a while, especially if Martha's alone.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:26 AM   #668
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Yesterday at dinner with my family my brother said that Cavill wasn't musclar enough. I was like what are you talking about he looks great. He thinks that nobody is big enough to play Superman so I just ignore him. He liked the trailer though.
That shot of him in the trailer didn't do him justice, he looked average looking. They should have had a better shirtless shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Yep that's what I was talking about over than Chris Evans for Cap I can't think of anyone see whose gotten this in shape.
Wesley Snipes, Michael Jai white, Chris Hemsworth.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:28 AM   #669
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I've always wanted him to drop by the Kent-farm every once in a while, especially if Martha's alone.
ya. this detail shouldn't be left out.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #670
EtherMagic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Yeah, there was a lot of talk back then about Reeve being too skinny (among the people making the movie...because 99.99% of the world had no idea who he was)....Margot Kidder and others have all talked about how they wondered how that skinny kid would ever look like Superman.

Margot Kidder also stated (In the Superman collection DVD special features) that the first time she saw Chris Reeve in the suit (when they were doing test footage together) she started laughing to herself, asking herself how can this skinny kid be playing superman?!

Chris Reeve "was" skinny in Sups 1, especially in the first scene when he started flying up-ward to save the Heli (when the black guy says "wooo, thats a Bad suit"). Whats funny, is that he looks considerably bigger once he saves Lois and places the Heli back on-top of the building!

Reason being (and even Reeve states this) is that "that" scene took 6 months to film, it was 6 months from when they filmed him flying upward, to when he actually place the Heli down on top of the building. The first shot was filmed in New York, and the final shots of that scene was filmed in London. Between this period Reeve was lifting to get bigger, which obviously answers the question of why he was bigger in the final scene of him saving Lois and the Heli.

Point being, Reeve was very skinny at first, there is NO comparison from Sups 1 to Sups 3, he was huge in sups 3!

"But there is nothing wrong with making a film about him a bit edgier and less corny."

Last edited by EtherMagic; 12-17-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 AM   #671
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofhouseEl View Post
Wesley Snipes, Michael Jai white, Chris Hemsworth.
To be fair Jai Whites always in shape been a martial artisy. Wesley Snipes I can't remember what shape he was in to be fair was he really ripped?

Hemsworth I totally forgot about.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 12-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #672
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
Reason being (and even Reeve states this) is that "that" scene took 6 months to film, it was 6 months from when they filmed him flying upward, to when he actually place the Heli down on top of the building. The first shot was filmed in New York, and the final shots of that scene was filmed in London. Between this period Reeve was lifting to get bigger, which obviously answers the question of why he was bigger in the final scene of him saving Lois and the Heli.
You can actually see the difference in his look throughout the film when comparing pics, he's noticeably bigger round the shoulders and chest later in the film.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #673
Jobling
Look! Up in the sky

Quote:

Sorry Man but Reeves was Specular has Superman (My favorite of all time) but that happen because of his acting skills and Presence and face, not because of his body,he has skinny bones,I´m a fitness trainner and for me Cavill push his body to another level that is Defination and at the same time he put more Mass on the muscles,my friend that´s is very dificult to do, and of course he has great genetics!!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #674
superman2090
Side-Kick

Quote:
Does anyone else look at this pic and think "BigFoot" from that grainy hoax video from a few decades ago?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #675
TDK elbowstrike

Reeve and Cavil are both very fit. Looking at that last pic of Reeve though....whoa. the guy has no padding in his suit as far as I can tell, but he looks HUGE.

Welling also got pretty buff towards the end of his run on Smallville, it would have been nice to see how Rouths Superman suit would have fit his physic. Damn you Welling, I gave over ten years of my life to that show, you could've at least worn the costume once.

Closed Thread