Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #676
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Saying Cavill's is too short to play Superman is just as riiculous as saying that Martin Freeman is too tall to play a hobbit. Movies aren't real life they can make a guy a few inches taller or shorter if need be.

Please stop. Stop using logic. We all know Tom Hardy is like six foot three and in no way was cinematically embellished.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #677
JaD
Thriller Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Please stop. Stop using logic. We all know Tom Hardy is like six foot three and in no way was cinematically embellished.
Absolutely, and same with Chris Evans as Steve Rogers. We all know he shrunk himself with a special Area 51 machine to play sickly Rogers. I thought this was all common knowledge?

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
Old 12-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #678
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
Reeve and Cavil are both very fit. Looking at that last pic of Reeve though....whoa. the guy has no padding in his suit as far as I can tell, but he looks HUGE.

Welling also got pretty buff towards the end of his run on Smallville, it would have been nice to see how Rouths Superman suit would have fit his physic. Damn you Welling, I gave over ten years of my life to that show, you could've at least worn the costume once.
I read somewhere that Reeve wore padding in the suit for the last movie because he couldn't work out properly due to an injury he sustained prior to filming. Not sure if it was valid though.

Yeah, the Smallville finale was an insult to all the fans who stood by the show all those years. As far as putting on the suit in the end, I don't think the decision actually came down to Welling. I read an interview where he mentioned trying in vain to get the studio to have Batman make an appearance on the show. It seemed like something he was really pushing for, but they wouldn't have it.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #679
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

He's definitely smaller in the Quest For Peace but he was older then he was when he did the 3rd film

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 12-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #680
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

I read somewhere that in the last episode that welling could have worn the suit, but chose not to. Idk if its true though. It just sucks because I liked Welling as Clark and was a huge fan of the show for better or worse.

Since Welling didn't wear the suit though, he can never truly be in the running for "best actor to portray Superman" because we never saw him really wear the suit.

Compare that to Michael Rosenbulms Lex. You could make a good argument for him being one of the best actors to play Lex Luthor. Especially after that one episode where he was president and had the all white suit and the glove on his Kryptonite poisoned hand. I know it was a dream sequence but when he let those nukes fly all over the world, the grin on his face, omg classic Lex and one of my favorite Lex Luthors ever!

Old 12-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #681
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I like Welling and u think he dud a good job on Smallville but the fact that from the start he didn't want to be Superman for me means he should never have been cast. It's an absolute honour and a privilege to portray Superman, Welling should have realised that. Tbh with the show been so close to Donners Superman I always thought it would have been good had Brandon Routh done the show. I bet he would've worn the suit in a heartbeat.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #682
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I like Welling and u think he dud a good job on Smallville but the fact that from the start he didn't want to be Superman for me means he should never have been cast. It's an absolute honour and a privilege to portray Superman, Welling should have realised that. Tbh with the show been so close to Donners Superman I always thought it would have been good had Brandon Routh done the show. I bet he would've worn the suit in a heartbeat.
I guess Welling was worried about being typecast as Superman. Considering that he hasn't done much of anything since Smallville, though, his line of thinking seems kind of ironic. He couldn't wear it for just one episode??

Old 12-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #683
TDK elbowstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
I guess Welling was worried about being typecast as Superman. Considering that he hasn't done much of anything since Smallville, though, his line of thinking seems kind of ironic. He couldn't wear it for just one episode??

Exactly!!!! I saw him in a movie called the fog and that was it. And that movie was absolutely horrible.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #684
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Yeah if he'd tried to do something different I'd have understood but he's done nothing in terms of acting.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #685
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

That always seemed to me as a filmsy excuse. Perhaps he just didn't like the Superman costume and didn't want to be seen wearing it.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #686
elgaz
Side-Kick

In fairness, no-one really knows why Tom didn't wear the suit apart from him and the team behind Smallville. He actually stated in an interview once that he 'was open to' wearing the suit, so I don't think he was as opposed to the idea as some people seem to think.

But it could just as easily have been down to decisions made by the Smallville production team, or down to WB not wanting to add to any more confusion amongst potential MOS audiences - there are actually people out there who still think MOS will be some kind of sequel to SR, so don't underestimate how much people can gloss over things when they're not hardcore fans.

Tom and the production team stated unequivocally on many occasions that the show was ALWAYS about Clark - not Superman - and perhaps they wanted to end things on the same note. You got a hint of what was to come after Smallville with the shirt rip at the end, but it was still very much Clark we were seeing on screen.

Don't get me wrong, I was a fan of the show and wanted to see him in the suit as much as anyone else. But they had their reasons for not doing it.

Last edited by elgaz; 12-17-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #687
Binker
Side-Kick

The only other thing I heard was that the production of the show's seasons were always tight (b/c of the sfx) and when it came to the suit, they could only make do with the prop from SR (since Routh's build wasn't the same as Welling) and WB/DC wanted them to have the Reeve suit, but it didn't suit with the universe the show was in.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #688
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

The Smallville Production team were leant one of the Superman Returns suits. For one day. Every scene that the suit is seen in, I mean actually seen in and not an establishing shot of the suit, is in the first episode of season 10, Lazarus. This is why there was 3 suits seen in Finale, there were the shots of the Superman Returns suits filmed way back in like 2009, the actual prop made to resemble that suit (the one that is handed over by Pa) then the shirt that Tom actually wore.

For those wondering why the Smallville team couldn't adjust the suit, the reasons are probably two-fold: 1) They weren't allowed, and 2) it would have taken up the entire seasonal props budget.

Really, they should have tried to get one of the suit from the failed project, like the McG rubber one, they might have been allowed to use that as an actual prop.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #689
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

you mean.....in the Smallville finale, Welling didn't even physically wear the suit once?

that was all CGI??

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #690
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

http://forums.superherohype.com/forumdisplay.php?f=517

......just sayin'

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 12-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #691
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

^^Indeed. There's a whole forum dedicated to Smallville if someone wants to discuss it.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #692
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Welling never struck me as Superman in any way, gotta be honest. On the other hand HC not only screams Superman with his looks, but so far his voice in the trailer alone makes me believe that HE IS Superman. Who knows, this may be one of the best portrayals of a superhero of all time, one for the ages perhaps.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #693
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
^^Indeed. There's a whole forum dedicated to Smallville if someone wants to discuss it.
Hint, hint, gentlemen.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #694
TDK elbowstrike

I think Cavil looks more like Superman strait from the comics than any other live action Superman. Ever. There, I said it. I don't mean to disparage any of the other actors, because I love them all.

Even though Christopher Reeve is arguably the most classic Superman ever, Cavil looks more like comic book Supes. I finally realized this when I read Superman, Secret Origin. I liked that they made Supes look like Reeve in that comic, but it also made me realize how different regular Supes looks than Reeve Supes.

P.S. George Reeves was my favorite of all time. I look forward to Cavil's Superman. I want him to join the all-time greats in Superman history.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #695
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
And in my opinion, more-so than any other actor who has portrayed the character (aside from Welling, who technically never wore the costume), HC's physique looks like that of an actual superhero.

When you consider all that, nitpicking about his height, which is only a couple inches shy of the ideal perception of Superman, seems rather silly.
This may sound a little weird but i actually think cavill has a better physique for wolverine and hugh jackman has a better superman physique due to the fact he is naturally longer and "statuesque". Cavill's arms are a little short for his height so he can pull off that stocky look easier than jackman can.

It's just when i first saw all those bearded cavill spy pics i was like damn he'd actually make a great looking wolverine.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #696
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
This may sound a little weird but i actually think cavill has a better physique for wolverine and hugh jackman has a better superman physique due to the fact he is naturally longer and "statuesque". Cavill's arms are a little short for his height so he can pull off that stocky look easier than jackman can.

It's just when i first saw all those bearded cavill spy pics i was like damn he'd actually make a great looking wolverine.
To be honest, even though I initially felt Jackman was an ideal choice for Wolverine, I've since then, come to change my mind. Wolverine, the character, is only 5'3". He's not some tall, good-looking guy; he's a badass runt! And for basically the same reasons, Cavill wouldn't be such a good Wolverine either.

On a side note, Cavill's forearms and hands are just a little smaller in contrast to the rest of his body. That's because his body type falls somewhere between an ectomorph and mesomorph.

It's much harder for an ectomorph to look big than it is for an endomorph. That's why Cavill's transformation is such an achievement -- he's nearly done the impossible. (And again, it certainly helps that he's likely a cross between an ecto and meso body type, as opposed to a pure ecto.)

Having said that, although HC pretty much did the impossible in building up his physique, the human forearm, wrists, and, of course, hands, in comparison to the rest of the arm (e.g, the bicep) have more bone than muscle; and you obviously can't do anything to make your skeletal structure grow any bigger. If you've got small hands and wrists, you'll always have them; and there's only so much muscle you can add to your forearms.

Last edited by ArmsHeldOut; 12-18-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #697
sf2
Side-Kick

small hands and wrists. lol

Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 AM   #698
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
small hands and wrists. lol
It's not uncommon to define them separately.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #699
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't think he was trying to correct you, I think he just finds it funny that Henry Cavill has small hands & wrists.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 12-18-2012, 04:00 AM   #700
Project862006
Banned User

thats just the look of a man who was naturally thin and bulked up than say a hemsworth who had a large frame even pre thor

Closed Thread