Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #751
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
Every time I think we've found the most absurd thing to nitpick, something else even more absurd comes up.
Actually, someone commented on how "short" the length of HC's arms are, and I just pointed out that, in my opinion, they only appear to look shorter because his hands are not especially large (not a nitpick by any means). If anything, most of us are in agreement that HC's achievement is certainly impressive. I think it's great how guys like Jackman, Hemsworthy, Evans, and now Cavill have gone the extra mile to embody their comic book counterparts.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #752
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
But you never know they might show him enjoying it at some point.
I didn't even mean recreating the flyby.

I mean no one in the trailer smiles at all. Even in Returns we got the scene of him jumping the cornfields before landing in the barn and floating. I mean, a kid learning he can fly? That's nothing to freak out of about. That's awesome!!

Superhearing? I understand freaking out.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #753
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
:looks at Sawyer uncomfortably: back away slowly
Don't you ****ing judge me. He's a beautiful man!

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 12-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #754
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Actually, someone commented on how "short" the length of HC's arms are, and I just pointed out that, in my opinion, they only appear to look shorter because his hands are not especially large (not a nitpick by any means). If anything, most of us are in agreement that HC's achievement is certainly impressive. I think it's great how guys like Jackman, Hemsworthy, Evans, and now Cavill have gone the extra mile to embody their comic book counterparts.
You failed to mention the man that really started this trend, Mr. Bale.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #755
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
Bale definitely deserves recognition, but I'd say Reeve (with particular emphasis on Superman 3) and Tobey Maguire (although not nearly as big as the others, he matched Parker's physique pretty well) pre-date Bale's work. I wouldn't call him a trendsetter. They did a great job of mimicking their character's comic book physiques.

But yeah, I love Bale's physique in Begins. When I first started lifting during first year of university, Bale's Batman Begins physique was my inspiration and end goal.

Last edited by DKDetective; 12-18-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #756
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
I would put Bale in a whole other category still. He has a supreme command of his body that no actor has since maybe deniro in his raging bulls days. By that i mean actually putting your health on the line when drastically changing your body.

Not to start a whole other issue as well but this has been discussed on another thread on shh but as much work as these guys put into their bodies they have access to things most people in the general public don't or wouldn't be recommended to partake in. I can leave it at that i suppose.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #757
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

He went well above and beyond what either of those actors did with transforming his body to "true" physique of the character, and from a terrible condition to start with (The Machinist). Yes both other actors were pretty well built and were on strict training regimines but nowhere near as close as Bale as Batman in BB.

Bale truly looked the size of Jim Lee's muscular but lean Batman. Reeves looks well built and had muscle and of course his height, but he wasn't as muscular as Supes is normally drawn in the comics. I would have to say HC looks more impressive than most and has the perfect look and physique for Superman.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 12-18-2012, 09:21 PM   #758
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
I didn't even mean recreating the flyby.

I mean no one in the trailer smiles at all. Even in Returns we got the scene of him jumping the cornfields before landing in the barn and floating. I mean, a kid learning he can fly? That's nothing to freak out of about. That's awesome!!

Superhearing? I understand freaking out.
Yeah I knew what you were getting at and I put the fly by in there bc it matched the others and to also show that this scene appears to be about as much of a good time as we are going to see him have. Maybe even whole the movie... But I kid. I think there will be something that shows he enjoys his gifts.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 12-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #759
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
Yeah I knew what you were getting at and I put the fly by in there bc it matched the others and to also show that this scene appears to be about as much of a good time as we are going to see him have. Maybe even whole the movie... But I kid. I think there will be something that shows he enjoys his gifts.
Surely, they should. As lesson shall be learned from SR, not to repeat the dry, gloomy and depressing tones.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #760
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

Quote:
He went well above and beyond what either of those actors did with transforming his body to "true" physique of the character, and from a terrible condition to start with (The Machinist). Yes both other actors were pretty well built and were on strict training regimines but nowhere near as close as Bale as Batman in BB.

Bale truly looked the size of Jim Lee's muscular but lean Batman. Reeves looks well built and had muscle and of course his height, but he wasn't as muscular as Supes is normally drawn in the comics. I would have to say HC looks more impressive than most and has the perfect look and physique for Superman.
Well said.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:41 AM   #761
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
That was intentional. Although, I certainly admire Bale's commitment to getting in shape for BB, his physique wasn't as well-defined as the others I mentioned. And he also lost points in my book for not being consistent w/ his workout regime in the sequels.

Reeve is another example of an actor who was obviously very dedicated to transforming his body for the role he portrayed, but neither of the two actors (Bale or Reeve), in my opinion, had that straight-off-the-comics physique (e.g., broad shoulders, V-shaped torso) we've come to associate superheroes w/ throughout the years.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:51 AM   #762
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Don't you ****ing judge me. He's a beautiful man!
Just teasing. I agree actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 12-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #763
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
That was intentional. Although, I certainly admire Bale's commitment to getting in shape for BB, his physique wasn't as well-defined as the others I mentioned. And he also lost points in my book for not being consistent w/ his workout regime in the sequels.

Reeve is another example of an actor who was obviously very dedicated to transforming his body for the role he portrayed, but neither of the two actors (Bale or Reeve), in my opinion, had that straight-off-the-comics physique (e.g., broad shoulders, V-shaped torso) we've come to associate superheroes w/ throughout the years.
Bale was the perfect size for his role in begins, i mean he had to trim down actually because they thought he was too big at first.

He had the built of someone who would actually take on batman's role in real life. He shouldn't look like a roider or bodybuilder.

This in real life is not pulling off any acrobat roles (nor physically possible)

His leaning out in the sequels would also be something to happen to a real batman. Remember he's not on super serum or a god just a man with great determination. Not to mention i though he looked great in TDKR. Evans built didn't really impress me he looked like someone who just pumped themselves up to max right before filming and wasn't able to maintain it for long. Although that pumped up look would make sense for cap since he is technically on PED's.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:16 AM   #764
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Bale was the perfect size for his role in begins, i mean he had to trim down actually because they thought he was too big at first.

He had the built of someone who would actually take on batman's role in real life. He shouldn't look like a roider or bodybuilder.

This in real life is not pulling off any acrobat roles (nor physically possible)

His leaning out in the sequels would also be something to happen to a real batman. Remember he's not on super serum or a god just a man with great determination. Not to mention i though he looked great in TDKR. Evans built didn't really impress me he looked like someone who just pumped themselves up to max right before filming and wasn't able to maintain it for long. Although that pumped up look would make sense for cap since he is technically on PED's.
There are plenty of aspects surrounding The Dark Knight trilogy that technically wouldn't be possible in "real life" (e.g., the manner in which his back was miraculously healed in TDKR).

And yes, the picture you referenced depicts a Batman who clearly wouldn't be able to perform large scale acrobatics, but that particular image merely represents Jim Lee's interpretation of Batman. Batman has not always been portrayed as an extremely big guy in the comics -- he's often appeared somewhat leaner.

As for "leaning out in the sequels", I disagree. There's no reason why Bale couldn't maintain or, better yet, improve on his physique. I felt he looked almost sickly in TDKR (although I guess that was the point -- at least in the beginnnng of the story).

Didn't have any problem with Evan's physique in Cap. Hard to imagine why anyone would.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:32 AM   #765
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

On a slightly different note, considering that, in the comics, Superman can literally bench-press the weight of the entire Earth itself, it's interesting to imagine what kind of workout regime the film character would have to subject himself to so as to achieve the impressive results we see personified in Cavill at this time.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #766
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Superman is a true beast. That's just insane.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 12-19-2012, 02:39 AM   #767
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Bale did look sickly in the beginning of TDKR because that was the intention he was not well during that part. Later on especially when he was rebuilding his body bale looked quite impressive lean and muscular. Actually the look batman had in comics most his history until all super-heroes started looking like arnold in the 80s/90's.

As for superman i highly doubt they will show him working on his body as he is, well superman he's born super strong. I think even in the comics you never really see superman working on his body. HiS power just comes from the sun anyways. Maybe in the reboot series DC has going on. Either way that is obviously some fantasy alien tech i mean how the hell can a machine create a weight as heavy as the earth without collapsing on itself?

Old 12-19-2012, 02:43 AM   #768
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I dont think I ever wanna see Supes bench-pressing in live-action. I dont think that's the point of his powers.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #769
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
As for superman i highly doubt they will show him working on his body as he is, well superman he's born super strong. I think even in the comics you never really see superman working on his body. HiS power just comes from the sun anyways. Maybe in the reboot series DC has going on. Either way that is obviously some fantasy alien tech i mean how the hell can a machine create a weight as heavy as the earth without collapsing on itself?
Yeah, based on that recent image in particular, I was just kind of wondering what it would actually take for a guy like Superman to build muscle. Sure, his powers obviously come from the sun, but, considering what we know about muscle growth -- how muscles are actually formed, I don't think solar energy would have a whole lot to do w/ that. Otherwise, he would have been musclebound as a child.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:51 AM   #770
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
On a slightly different note, considering that, in the comics, Superman can literally bench-press the weight of the entire Earth itself, it's interesting to imagine what kind of workout regime the film character would have to subject himself to so as to achieve the impressive results we see personified in Cavill at this time.

Yeah this is a bit ridiculous. 6 sextillion tons for 5 days. They should never put a number on it. There is gonna be so many continuity errors in the future for the New 52 now because of this (him struggling on anything less), it's just ridiculous. Supes shouldn't even need to be that strong.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:59 AM   #771
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Yeah this is a bit ridiculous. 6 sextillion tons for 5 days. They should never put a number on it. There is gonna be so many continuity errors in the future for the New 52 now because of this (him struggling on anything less), it's just ridiculous. Supes shouldn't even need to be that strong.
Yeah, I find it hard to get into much of the New 52; it's already a mess in terms of continuity.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #772
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Superman's near infinite strength has been something that has put off some casual fans. Some of the most popular incarnations of superman the last little while has been in the animated series where his strength was made much more limited.

I've mentioned this before but when you make superman that super strong you almost have to depict his story as that of a god-man who can literally impact anything in the world and whether he wants to or not? Red Son did a good job of that dilemma.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #773
TDK elbowstrike

Bale in Begins looks every bit as big as Cavill does for this movie. You can't say that about him in the last two Nolan films though. He was clearly at his most buff during BB.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #774
ArmsHeldOut
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
Bale in Begins looks every bit as big as Cavill does for this movie.
Bale was big as Cavill, but less ripped.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:31 AM   #775
TDK elbowstrike

Quote:
Bale was big as Cavill, but less ripped.
Yeah, agreed. I like what that one poster said a few days ago that Cavill looks like a cagefighter. He does have that kind of build. Which is cool because I want. To see a fearsome intimidating Superman when things get serious.

Closed Thread