I'll Deal With It 20 8.93%
Remains To Be Seen 56 25.00%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #126
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 10

Russell Crowe's voice sounds really great in that teaser, I would have never thought that it would sound so good.

*\S/T*
Old 09-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #127
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7heBoss View Post
I have never liked the idea that Jor-El sends his son to earth to be a savior. It makes it sound like he is selflessly giving his son away for some greater good which is not the case. His planet is dying and Jor-El's dying wish is that he wants his only son to survive and live on. That is why I like Birthright so much.

BR is a very good origin story. The only thing I dislike from that story is soul vision. That totally blows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
i think jor el's message comes across more powerful and the teaser back up this claim
I just hope this speech is not in the movie. I think it's fiine for the teaser, but I do not want Jor-El sending his some to earth to be a savior. His reasoning should be to save him. Yet, because he is aware that Earth will likely give his son extraordinary powers, it's okay to say "be good" and be a good person. Yet, that should be it.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #128
Super Kal
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by charl_huntress View Post
BR is a very good origin story. The only thing I dislike from that story is soul vision. That totally blows.
never read it because of that, plus i was not fond of the artist that they used for that story

Old 09-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #129
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
never read it because of that, plus i was not fond of the artist that they used for that story
It took me a while to get over that too.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #130
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Wow seriously? I mean it's such a minor thing, it's not like a massive plot point. And it's just a way of visualising his unique way of seeing how precious life is. Never bothered me in the slightest

If I could change anything in Birthright it would be the Clark/Lex childhood friends stuff. I don't hate it, but I just think it would have been better without it. Still spend some time looking at why Lex's life has sucked, but just do it without Clark involved.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 09-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #131
Glassjaw
In training

Yeah the soul vision is quite a small detail, I didn't get caught up on it. I definitely understand if the art isn't up your street, I know it shouldn't but art I can't stand has put me off a few comics. I'd try and get past your reservations with the art though, I'm pretty sure Birthright became known as Superman's unofficial new canon because of how good it was.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #132
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Wow seriously? I mean it's such a minor thing, it's not like a massive plot point. And it's just a way of visualising his unique way of seeing how precious life is. Never bothered me in the slightest

If I could change anything in Birthright it would be the Clark/Lex childhood friends stuff. I don't hate it, but I just think it would have been better without it. Still spend some time looking at why Lex's life has sucked, but just do it without Clark involved.
My thoughts exactly. I've never cared for the Clark/Lex childhood friends angle in any incarnation. But I completely love pretty much everything else about Birthright (including the art), and it's still my favorite Supes origin story.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
Old 09-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #133
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
My thoughts exactly. I've never cared for the Clark/Lex childhood friends angle in any incarnation. But I completely love pretty much everything else about Birthright (including the art), and it's still my favorite Supes origin story.
Yeah, I mean it worked for Smallville and it was a really cool dynamic for the first couple of seasons, but even in that context it flailed a lot towards the end.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 09-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #134
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

People made too much of the soul vision in Birthright its not even mentioned that much and I didn't mind it. Infact it works very well in the opening scene with the character Kobe. It adds to the emotional impact.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #135
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

The artwork in BR was not to my liking, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the story. I also understand some people like soul vision (OMG just typing that makes me cringe), but for me it BLOWS! The reason I say this is I think they could have left it out and made the point that Superman values life without it. As an additional power it sucks....and I never want to see it again.

edit: I also was not a fan of Lex and Clark knowing each other, but I've seen it before and it didn't bother me that much. I thought it made Lex and his motivations more three dimensional.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 09-29-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #136
TheWatcher
Dapper

My problem with it is how a genius like Luthor could not know it was Clark?

-Christian Bale

Last edited by TheWatcher; 09-29-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #137
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Very good point.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #138
the last son
Side-Kick

So, I just watched Centurion. The movie sucked and was boring But Fassbender was pretty good in it. This is what I don't understand about the excuses for Cavill in Immortals. If you can act you would still shine somewhat in a bad movie. I am in a wait and see mode of his performance. Now I know Fassbender is a much MUCH better actor than Cavill but Cavill is an average actor.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #139
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:

I just hope this speech is not in the movie. I think it's fiine for the teaser, but I do not want Jor-El sending his some to earth to be a savior. His reasoning should be to save him. Yet, because he is aware that Earth will likely give his son extraordinary powers, it's okay to say "be good" and be a good person. Yet, that should be it.
What's wrong with the soul vision thing? It made me understand more deeply why Clark cares so much for life.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:05 PM   #140
TheWatcher
Dapper

Because Clark should care about life without it.

-Christian Bale
Old 09-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #141
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
So, I just watched Centurion. The movie sucked and was boring But Fassbender was pretty good in it. This is what I don't understand about the excuses for Cavill in Immortals. If you can act you would still shine somewhat in a bad movie. I am in a wait and see mode of his performance. Now I know Fassbender is a much MUCH better actor than Cavill but Cavill is an average actor.
Immortals plays up Cavill's physical aspects rather than his acting. If you want a good example of Cavill's acting, go for the first three seasons of "The Tudors." It's a very underrated performance compared to Jonathan Rhys-Meyers' more forceful leading role.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #142
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
What's wrong with the soul vision thing? It made me understand more deeply why Clark cares so much for life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
This... and it's not needed. The same point could have been expressed without giving...I won't type it again. It's just too cringe worthy.

Last edited by charl_huntress; 09-29-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #143
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Quote:
This
He would probably still care about life without it, but that was a cool visual thing that was never done before when it came to Superman.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #144
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Immortals plays up Cavill's physical aspects rather than his acting. If you want a good example of Cavill's acting, go for the first three seasons of "The Tudors." It's a very underrated performance compared to Jonathan Rhys-Meyers' more forceful leading role.
I agree with this. I remember when I watched the movie for the first time on Netflix I kept thinking he would make a good Superman just from watching him fight with Rourke. Plus, he was gorgeous to look at

I cannot get into the Tudors. It's my bete noire of TV history trash.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #145
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
He would probably still care about life without it, but that was a cool visual thing that was never done before when it came to Superman.
Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it should have been done.

I just don't like it and for me it was unnecessary.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:28 PM   #146
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it should have been done.

I just don't like it and for me it was unnecessary.
Lol I see what you did there! All right, that's as good a reason as any.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #147
Lighthouse
Fairness, Equality, Bacon

Quote:
My problem with it is how a genius like Luthor could not know it was Clark?
I kind of liked Morrison's explanation of it being Lex's ego. Clark seems so insignificant that he barely puts any thought into him. Ultimately that's why Lex loses all the time. His narcissism. He's a man who thinks he's a god, where Superman is the very opposite of that.

...Or when your hands are cold, you rub them together, you see, that's good, that feels good! There's so many good things! But you're not here - I'm here. I wish you were here. I wish you could talk to me. 'Cause I'm a friend. - Peter Falk (Wings of Desire)
Old 09-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #148
TheWatcher
Dapper

That's not enough. Even I didn't care anything about someone, I would still know them when I saw them.

-Christian Bale
Old 09-29-2012, 10:48 PM   #149
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

For me the only way this has ever made sense is because I think Luthor is is more in awe of Superman then anyone else. He is literally blinded to the truth right in front of him. It's the same with Lois Lane. They both are so in awe of Superman they can't think of him as a "normal" human. Plus, the fact that no one thinks Superman has secret identity because he doesn't wear a mask.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #150
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Personally I thought Cavill did shine in Immortals. He and Mickey Rourke made that film for me.

But I don't think it's neccesary to compare him to Fassbender. Fassbender is one of the best actors i've seen. I don't need Cavill to be that good.

All Cavill has to do for me is be as good an actor as, for example, Chris Hemsworth. Which I think he very much is.

*\S/T*
Closed Thread