The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 02:35 PM   #26
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!
 
Docker2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Neva Neva land
Posts: 19,245
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

Yes it would be. Neither guy is known for their defense so it would probably turn into a slugfest. Mayweather's defense and how he adjust between rounds would be interesting as well. In all honesty, if I'm Paq or Mayweather, I'm going nowhere near Sergio.

__________________
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking......

"Which free agent (not counting LeBron) are you most interested to see with his new team? Why?

"Joey Crawford, From the Heat to the Cavs"

- AJ Walkin- ESPN Poster
Docker2.0 is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #27
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,295
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

The thing people need to realize about Floyd, and something that's always misconstrued, is that it's not about speed. Roy Jones was pure, unadulterated, twitch-y hand speed, and it's why once he slowed down just a hair, he started getting caught easily. While I do believe Floyd still has faster hands than Paq or Sergio, it's about anticipation based off his counter-punching.

He's not beating people to the punch because he's quicker, he's beating them because he's anticipating where it's coming from and getting there first. Whether it's the lead right hand he started finding Mosley & Ortiz with, or the uppercut he started catching Cotto with, once he finds something effective, he uses it to beat opponents to the spot.

People don't even fight Floyd the same way they do other boxers because of this. The approach is different because once in the ring, they have to take a more measured tactic, simply because Floyd's ability to block while staying in the pocket for a counter makes him much faster on the draw. Cotto is the perfect example, because had he approached the Manny fight with the same patience and technique he did with Floyd, the outcome may have been different. But he knows just like everybody else that Pac is coming out swinging wildly and he chose to engage that.

JMM is nowhere near as quick as Pac, but he touches him quite easily with the same technique. You multiply that ability by 100 with Floyd & I highly doubt either Sergio or Pac would even try to approach Floyd the same way they do everybody else once they see it firsthand. It just won't work.

On top of that, both Pac & Sergio have suspect chins IMO. People make a big deal about Floyd being caught by Mosley or Cotto, like it's the first time lol, it just lets me know they haven't been following him that long. Zab Judah, Chop Chop Corley and Manny Burton all caught Floyd with harder, cleaner shots. De La Hoya (who was just as big as JCC was last night) hit him with some good shots. His chin is probably the most underrated aspect of his game.

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 09-16-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Doc Samson is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #28
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,203
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

what is everyone's thoughts on canelo dude is extremely impressive dude looks hard to beat his boxing is phenomenal with his speed and power with a great chin and his defense is stellar aswell

at just 22 and 41-0 the skies the limit

Project862006 is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #29
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 15,128
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
what is everyone's thoughts on canelo dude is extremely impressive dude looks hard to beat his boxing is phenomenal with his speed and power with a great chin and his defense is stellar aswell

at just 22 and 41-0 the skies the limit
I believe Canelo (unlike Chavez Jr) is ready for the big shows and big names. The kid is a very good boxer and he showcases improvements [whether it be on offense or defense] with every fight he takes. At 22, Alvarez has a damn bright future.

He wants Mayweather next, but I think he's far too young to challenge the P4P King right now. I hope he takes the Cotto fight instead, and builds on his arsenal.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ĎBatman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #30
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 15,128
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
The thing people need to realize about Floyd, and something that's always misconstrued, is that it's not about speed. Roy Jones was pure, unadulterated, twitch-y hand speed, and it's why once he slowed down just a hair, he started getting caught easily. While I do believe Floyd still has faster hands than Paq or Sergio, it's about anticipation based off his counter-punching.

He's not beating people to the punch because he's quicker, he's beating them because he's anticipating where it's coming from and getting there first. Whether it's the lead right hand he started finding Mosley & Ortiz with, or the uppercut he started catching Cotto with, once he finds something effective, he uses it to beat opponents to the spot.

People don't even fight Floyd the same way they do other boxers because of this. The approach is different because once in the ring, they have to take a more measured tactic, simply because Floyd's ability to block while staying in the pocket for a counter makes him much faster on the draw. Cotto is the perfect example, because had he approached the Manny fight with the same patience and technique he did with Floyd, the outcome may have been different. But he knows just like everybody else that Pac is coming out swinging wildly and he chose to engage that.

JMM is nowhere near as quick as Pac, but he touches him quite easily with the same technique. You multiply that ability by 100 with Floyd & I highly doubt either Sergio or Pac would even try to approach Floyd the same way they do everybody else once they see it firsthand. It just won't work.

On top of that, both Pac & Sergio have suspect chins IMO. People make a big deal about Floyd being caught by Mosley or Cotto, like it's the first time lol, it just lets me know they haven't been following him that long. Zab Judah, Chop Chop Corley and Manny Burton all caught Floyd with harder, cleaner shots. De La Hoya (who was just as big as JCC was last night) hit him with some good shots. His chin is probably the most underrated aspect of his game.
Pretty much this.

I loath Mayweather Jr, but one cannot deny what he's capable of doing inside the ring. Floyd is the consensus number one boxer on the planet because of his abilities to defend and attack.

The Marquez fight perfectly highlights that. Yeah, Juan wasn't precisely the fighter he was in his mid-twenties when the Mayweather showdown transpired, but JMM was no pushover. Shortly after that bout, Marquez convincingly beat Pacquiao in their third meeting.

Keep in mind, Marquez landed some clean and powerful shots right on the button but Floyd shrugged them off.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ĎBatman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #31
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,203
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
I believe Canelo (unlike Chavez Jr) is ready for the big shows and big names. The kid is a very good boxer and he showcases improvements [whether it be on offense or defense] with every fight he takes. At 22, Alvarez has a damn bright future.

He wants Mayweather next, but I think he's far too young to challenge the P4P King right now. I hope he takes the Cotto fight instead, and builds on his arsenal.
agree but not sure if he will get cotto yet i think he will get either kirkland or ortiz before a possible cotto fight

Project862006 is offline  
Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #32
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,203
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

chavez jr failed his drug test for marijuana

Project862006 is offline  
Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #33
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!
 
Docker2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Neva Neva land
Posts: 19,245
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

Yeah well if you were getting your arse pounded for 11 rounds and couldn't hit dude at all, you'd get high to. Seriously, I'm not surprised. JCC JR. is EVERYTHING that is wrong with boxing. Sloppy work ethic, fighting way out of his weight class, tight pink underwear, drugs, drinking, not training hard at all, fighting bad fighters. Had he won, it would have sent the message to all boxers that it's ok to go half arse.

__________________
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking......

"Which free agent (not counting LeBron) are you most interested to see with his new team? Why?

"Joey Crawford, From the Heat to the Cavs"

- AJ Walkin- ESPN Poster
Docker2.0 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #34
Assassin32
King James Version
 
Assassin32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,274
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

I'm expecting the 2012 Fight of the Year to come out of HBO's upcoming Donaire-Nishioka/Rios-Alvarado card.

__________________
"I'm cold like a midnight in Aspen/I am the president and the assassin . . . "

Assassin32 is offline  
Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #35
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!
 
Docker2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Neva Neva land
Posts: 19,245
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

I'm not. Donaire is so overrated its funny.

__________________
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking......

"Which free agent (not counting LeBron) are you most interested to see with his new team? Why?

"Joey Crawford, From the Heat to the Cavs"

- AJ Walkin- ESPN Poster
Docker2.0 is offline  
Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #36
Assassin32
King James Version
 
Assassin32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,274
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

What does that have to do with how excellent the match up is? Gatti was often overrated because he was exciting, and he took part in many a Fight of the Year.

__________________
"I'm cold like a midnight in Aspen/I am the president and the assassin . . . "

Assassin32 is offline  
Old 09-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #37
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 15,128
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

Well, it appears that Canelo could be facing Gabriel Rosado (21-5). What a shame, if true. The guy is a nobody but he's using the Mexican-Puerto Rican rivalry angle to conjure up a fight. Oh well.

__________________
Law is an instrument of commerce and often an obstruction to justice. It is a Court of Law, NOT of Justice.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."


Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ĎBatman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline  
Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #38
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!
 
Docker2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Neva Neva land
Posts: 19,245
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

My gawd I hope that isn't true. If it is, I'm giving JCC Jr more credit for fighting a top p4p fighter while Canelo continues to fight cupcakes. I hope it's not true though.

__________________
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking......

"Which free agent (not counting LeBron) are you most interested to see with his new team? Why?

"Joey Crawford, From the Heat to the Cavs"

- AJ Walkin- ESPN Poster
Docker2.0 is offline  
Old 09-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #39
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.
 
DoomsdayApex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boynton Beach, FL
Posts: 15,128
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

Me too. I hope Alvarez let's Rosado talk ****, and fights Cotto next instead. Canelo has nothing to prove to Gabriel. If anything, Rosado is the one who needs to prove something to Alvarez.

DoomsdayApex is offline  
Old 09-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #40
Assassin32
King James Version
 
Assassin32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 6,274
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

That's still better than the rumors of Canelo fighting Maidana. But I don't see why Golden Boy doesn't just match him against K9. That's an exciting fight, an easy victory, and another belt on Canelo's mantle. Plus, K9 is a legit 154-pounder. Everybody wins.

__________________
"I'm cold like a midnight in Aspen/I am the president and the assassin . . . "

Assassin32 is offline  
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #41
Xzbeat
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

What do people think about the Olympic amateur boxers?

Xzbeat is offline  
Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #42
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!
 
Docker2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Neva Neva land
Posts: 19,245
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin32 View Post
That's still better than the rumors of Canelo fighting Maidana. But I don't see why Golden Boy doesn't just match him against K9. That's an exciting fight, an easy victory, and another belt on Canelo's mantle. Plus, K9 is a legit 154-pounder. Everybody wins.
Maidana is actually a good fighter but are they even in the same division? If Canelo does fight him, that would be two consecutive fighters he has fought that he outweighs considerably.

__________________
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking......

"Which free agent (not counting LeBron) are you most interested to see with his new team? Why?

"Joey Crawford, From the Heat to the Cavs"

- AJ Walkin- ESPN Poster
Docker2.0 is offline  
Old 10-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #43
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!
 
Docker2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Neva Neva land
Posts: 19,245
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

Anyone watching Rios-Alvarado? This is a fight of the year contender!

Docker2.0 is offline  
Old 10-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #44
antonydelfini
Dangerous Habits
 
antonydelfini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,764
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

Rios Alvarado was a war. But I think it was stopped a tad too early. Imagine Holyfield Bowe Round 10, Holyfield was in a worse spot, imagine that being stopped early. Rios doesnt have skills but he has the will and heart.

Donaire completely dominated and TKO'd Nishioka, who many considered as the super bantamweight. He easily beats top rated world class champions and former champions like Darchinyan, Montiel, Vasquez and now Nishioka, I don't think he is overrated.

antonydelfini is offline  
Old 10-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #45
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!
 
Docker2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Neva Neva land
Posts: 19,245
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
Rios Alvarado was a war. But I think it was stopped a tad too early. Imagine Holyfield Bowe Round 10, Holyfield was in a worse spot, imagine that being stopped early. Rios doesnt have skills but he has the will and heart.

Donaire completely dominated and TKO'd Nishioka, who many considered as the super bantamweight. He easily beats top rated world class champions and former champions like Darchinyan, Montiel, Vasquez and now Nishioka, I don't think he is overrated.
Agreed that fight was stopped way to soon. But we disagree about Donaire. I mean, he's good but he's also a protected fighter and that's the worst kind.

__________________
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking......

"Which free agent (not counting LeBron) are you most interested to see with his new team? Why?

"Joey Crawford, From the Heat to the Cavs"

- AJ Walkin- ESPN Poster
Docker2.0 is offline  
Old 10-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #46
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,295
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

I disagree, for being the smaller man, Rios never really seemed all that hurt by Alvarado, even early on when he was getting caught with the heavy stuff. I didn't see anyway Alvarado would've changed the tide after the punishment he was starting to sustain. Mike is a tough guy, they both are, but he was slow to put his hands up when the ref asked him to, to me, he was clearly on his way out.

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is offline  
Old 10-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #47
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!
 
Docker2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Neva Neva land
Posts: 19,245
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

Rios didn't seem hurt!? I saw differently.

Docker2.0 is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #48
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,295
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

I didn't think he did at all. He took everything Alvarado had early on, there was no way Alvarado would've mounted some sort of comeback down the stretch

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is offline  
Old 10-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #49
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!
 
Docker2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Neva Neva land
Posts: 19,245
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

You also said Kobe is a team player with a straight face. Yeah, I went there and I brought it here.

__________________
I am a nightmare walking, psychopath talking......

"Which free agent (not counting LeBron) are you most interested to see with his new team? Why?

"Joey Crawford, From the Heat to the Cavs"

- AJ Walkin- ESPN Poster
Docker2.0 is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #50
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist
 
Doc Samson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: GammaBase
Posts: 4,295
Default Re: The Official Boxing Thread!!! - Part 1

We both know your disdain for him knows no bounds, but I won't derail this thread responding to your shenanigans. Needless to say, if your concerned about anything, it should be your precious Knicks winning a playoff series ...

__________________
"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

Last edited by Doc Samson; 10-17-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Doc Samson is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.